BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

It is fine, I am sure they will find a great spot somewhere again.

Sucks that Central Market and Whole Foods copied their tradmark format.

That is what I call "a Wal-mart" move.

Whole Foods has been around much longer than Eatzi's. I'd even venture to say that Central Market has as well.

I can't speak for Whole Foods, but I can pretty much confirm that Central Market was born after Eatzi's.

Whole Foods was around long before Eatzi's. You are correct about Central Market being born after Eatzi's.

If they reopen in Houston, I would expect it would be somewhere other than in the same shopping center as a new flagship Whole Foods, but ya never can tell.

It seems very odd that they would close so suddenly and just drop orders they've already taken. That suggests to me that they are not in a good relationship with Wulfe and want out NOW (and won't be back for BLVD Place.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

It seems very odd that they would close so suddenly and just drop orders they've already taken. That suggests to me that they are not in a good relationship with Wulfe and want out NOW (and won't be back for BLVD Place.)

Maybe they can temporarily setup an abreviated shop at the soon to be forgotten "Surprises" nearby. ^_^

I knew their old location was being torn down, and I had heard that they were in negotiations with Wulfe for a new location. Their overhead is supposedly outrageous, and maybe they just couldn't make the numbers work for them. I'm going to miss them! Out here, the closest thing we have to it is Panera's or Pie Town. BTW, has anyone heard if Dean & Deluca is coming out to the Woodlands area? If so, when & where? Thanks!

Houston Business Journal

From the article:

"EatZi's Market & Bakery was expected to close its doors at 6 p.m. on Nov. 16.

The shelves at the bakery were nearly empty by Thursday afternoon and several employees at the store confirmed they were notified that the store was to be shuttered at the end of the business day.

Store employees have informed customers that all future orders, including Thanksgiving orders, will not be filled.

In fact, The Houston Business Journal had an order for an event next week and was informed today that the store was closing."

------------------------------

I've noticed that Eatzi's quality and selection has slipped some the past few times I've gone, but I was not expecting this. They always did crazy business at lunch and a solid dinner take-out. Plus, I've been to plenty of holiday parties where the host just stocked up at Eatzi's.

Whole Foods was around long before Eatzi's. You are correct about Central Market being born after Eatzi's.

If they reopen in Houston, I would expect it would be somewhere other than in the same shopping center as a new flagship Whole Foods, but ya never can tell.

Hmm, here is what I found out. Whole Foods opend in Austin in 1980, Central Market opened in Austin in 1994, Eatzi's was developed in Dallas in 1996.

Also, this is interesting (conspiracy theories begin), according to Wikipedia:

The chain's Atlanta, Houston, and Rockville locations abruptly closed in mid-November 2006.

I don't think the trend had passed. I was hoping they would eventually open up a second location closer to downtown even. For lunch, for some reason no one I know of had sandwiches as good as theirs. Even though it seems like it shouldn't be complicated, they actually used good meats, had good bread, and I never have found anywhere else that seems to do it as well. While upscale, it was the closest thing to a take out place I know of.

hopefully someone sees there is a market for it and opens a similar concept around houston. It was always pretty busy when I went there.

This sucks, I liked Eatzi's. Hopefully they'll open another one soon, I don't think there was a lack of business:

Eatzi's Closes

this was one of the first restaurants i ate at when i moved back to houston. it was take-away, but still...

while i am no longer living in the west loop area, i am sad to see them go. they had a great concept, great service, and fantastic foods (although $11 salads are a bit much for me unless once a month or so).

they will be missed.

Wow, how sad. I've been out of town the last couple of weeks and too busy to keep up my HAIF habit during that time, so I had no idea. I was just in there about five days before they closed too, and wondered if something was up just because there seemed to be a lot less variety in the take-out cases. I still have some cookies I bought on that trip there in the freezer.

I'll definitely miss Eatzi's. While I can cook quite well, with my work travel schedule stocking up on groceries and cooking doesn't always make sense, and Eatzi's was one of my regular spots to run in and get a good meal to take back home.

I will definitely miss them, although places like Whole Foods, Central Market, and Yapa are still around with similar things.

And I ditto MidtownCoog's vote for Pret a Manger in Houston! They could make a fortune with locations in areas like Downtown, Uptown/Galleria, Greenway, and the TMC.

I seriously doubt it.

While Eatzi's is/was a local institution, I seriously doubt it would even be a blip on the corporate radar was far as it affecting a project such as BLVD place. If was was a tenent with a signed contract, they might have some recourse, but I seriously doubt they would care otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This may have been addressed in another thread, but I am looking for info about the redevelopment of the southwest corner of Post Oak and San Felipe.

The real estate professionals I work with have mentioned several new retailers planned for this project (prime national retailers), but they referred to it as 'the Pavilion project'. Is this similarly named to the Downtown Pavilions project, or are my sources confused?

Either way, any info on development at this site would be appreciated.

This may have been addressed in another thread, but I am looking for info about the redevelopment of the southwest corner of Post Oak and San Felipe.

The real estate professionals I work with have mentioned several new retailers planned for this project (prime national retailers), but they referred to it as 'the Pavilion project'. Is this similarly named to the Downtown Pavilions project, or are my sources confused?

Either way, any info on development at this site would be appreciated.

BLVD Place