It appears that someone just mentioned that (or just questioned about) a row of residences along the west/back side of the project already being demolished. (South of the home of the fortune teller.) If this is the case, would this be an indication of a positive direction being taken in the development? Or, is the razing of these structures not true?

I thought it was simply Fashion Square and The Pavillions that was being torn down. I did not realize single-family homes were being demolished. And, is there an old assited-living facility that is being rid of as well?

Perhaps photographs of the alledged demolition would appease some individuals....add some fuel-to-the fire for their talking points...whatever they may be.

And, at least, it would GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC....AGAIN!

It appears that someone just mentioned that (or just questioned about) a row of residences along the west/back side of the project already being demolished. (South of the home of the fortune teller.) If this is the case, would this be an indication of a positive direction being taken in the development? Or, is the razing of these structures not true?

all of the homes south of the palm reader are gone; nothing but grass and trees.

unfortunately i was unable to take pictures because someone decided to steal my camera :angry2:

if you dont want to take my word for it, no hard feelings. feel free to drive over there and see for yourself.

all of the homes south of the palm reader are gone; nothing but grass and trees.

unfortunately i was unable to take pictures because someone decided to steal my camera :angry2:

if you dont want to take my word for it, no hard feelings. feel free to drive over there and see for yourself.

I can vouch for this as I have a partial view of the area from my office. All I see in that area now are trees and land. They are making progress on this project, it's just happening slowly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it's just a rendering and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but is that a 50 story tower in the middle? I like these renderings better than the old ones. It looks more "space age". I like it, it's fun, clean, colorful and modern.

Just wish they'd lose the narrow parking lot that faces post oak. That parking lot almost seems like a superficial add-on. It's too small to provide any real benefit or convenience. It's almost like they had to go out of there way to make the front of this development look less pedestrian friendly. I don't mind the buildings being set back from the street, but a nice extra wide sidewalk with some beautiful fountains and shade trees would be fantastic where that narrow parking lot will be. The part that faces San Felipe (I think) looks great though.

So when's groundbreaking?

Edited by Mister X

I agree the towers look nice. I don't have a problem with the parking lot in front. I can't see Post Oak becoming some major pedestrian boulevard, and perhaps the sight of parking in front will make BLVD more attractive to drivers going by.

I agree the towers look nice. I don't have a problem with the parking lot in front. I can't see Post Oak becoming some major pedestrian boulevard, and perhaps the sight of parking in front will make BLVD more attractive to drivers going by.

They do look nice, but they look too commercial. Isn't the tall one supposed to be apartments? I bet these are just massing representations and the towers themselves (at least the residential one) will not look anything like it.

Is Wulfe developing all of it or is he only doing the retail and partnering with other developers who do have office / residential experience to do those portions? There has been talk on this forum that Hanover will be doing the residential component. That would make it even more likely that the towers will look very different from what's shown on the renderings. I don't think it's a coincidence that the renderings show a lot more detail on the retail components than on the towers.

As for the parking lot on Post Oak, Wulfe knows from his experience that retailers in Houston will not sign a lease if they don't have parking in front of their storefronts. It's a business decision that has nothing to do with the urban character of Post Oak.

The whole foods in seattle has large underground parking so maybe they'll plan for something like that here. I know theres a flooding issue in Houston, but I've also seen some stores that have rooftop parking as well......I can't imagine wfmi building a flagship grocery store there without planning for sufficient parking, even if the drawings dont seem to depict any.

The whole foods in seattle has large underground parking so maybe they'll plan for something like that here. I know theres a flooding issue in Houston, but I've also seen some stores that have rooftop parking as well......I can't imagine wfmi building a flagship grocery store there without planning for sufficient parking, even if the drawings dont seem to depict any.

There is a big deal of underground parking associated with this project.. but i I agree with Fernz.. while garages can handle high volumes, they're less convenient for quick run-ins and pulling in passing drivers off the street.. retailers want some amount of street parking too.

Maybe build a parking garage across the street, but have it look like the development. Maybe a few retail shops at the bottom of it.

Any development of this size would need massive parking garages, but in the pictures you can't really tell where the parking is.

You can see ramps in the 1st and the 6th picture.. course, im cheating since i know where to look.

There will also be underground parking..

So yeah... they don't need an additional garage across the street.

Edited by Highway6

Just wish they'd lose the narrow parking lot that faces post oak. That parking lot almost seems like a superficial add-on. It's too small to provide any real benefit or convenience. It's almost like they had to go out of there way to make the front of this development look less pedestrian friendly. I don't mind the buildings being set back from the street, but a nice extra wide sidewalk with some beautiful fountains and shade trees would be fantastic where that narrow parking lot will be. The part that faces San Felipe (I think) looks great though.

I agree. If the goal is a new urbanistic pedestrian-friendly development, go all the way. Don't almost do it. This design is 95% there. Why uglify (new word) it with a typical Houston strip of parking?

Glad to see they've been working over at Wulfe, if only on new pretty pictures.

I agree. If the goal is a new urbanistic pedestrian-friendly development, go all the way. Don't almost do it. This design is 95% there. Why uglify (new word) it with a typical Houston strip of parking?

Why do you think that is their goal.. or only goal ?

How many people do you see walking along Post Oak... even once LRT gets there, it's not a sea of parking ppl are being asked to cross, its one drivelane.... no different the majority of Rice Village.

Also, design work and pretty pictures aren't done over at Wulfe.. they lease spaces and control the finances of the project, thats about it... credit belongs to the design firm for the pretty pictures..

Edited by Highway6

Is the goal here really an "urbanistic pedestrian-friendly development," or just high-end stores fronting office space? Regent Square maybe I can see getting closer, but I think BLVD is going to have to be more auto-oriented. That's why I thought the parking made sense.

A subway line down Post Oak from 59 all the way to the Northwest Transit Center is looking so good right now. How else are they going to connect the two? Some plans show them going on 610. Who wants to do that?

Is the goal here really an "urbanistic pedestrian-friendly development," or just high-end stores fronting office space? Regent Square maybe I can see getting closer, but I think BLVD is going to have to be more auto-oriented. That's why I thought the parking made sense.

It seems more like an urban-pedestrian friendly place, exclusive to those who live or stay there, yet is still inviting to the outsiders with autos.

A subway line down Post Oak from 59 all the way to the Northwest Transit Center is looking so good right now. How else are they going to connect the two? Some plans show them going on 610. Who wants to do that?

It wont run on 610 till north of Post Oak and south of 10. It's basically only bypassing Memorial Park, and i believe they are still have a Park station.. or they were.

And it's not going to be subway.. thats not going to change.

I can't see Post Oak becoming some major pedestrian boulevard, and perhaps the sight of parking in front will make BLVD more attractive to drivers going by.

I agree that it is hard to imagine Uptown or Post Oak ever becoming truly pedestrian friendly. There is just too much that would have to be rebuilt in every direction. But, if nothing else, an entry plaza or something special facing Post Oak would have more curb appeal than just another parking lot like the ones in front of all the other minor strip centers in town. BLVD Place seems special, after all, not every mixed use development in Houston will be blessed with a rail line right in front of it (eventually), and the front should look special. A project of this magnitude will certainly make a significant impact on uptown and might even start a trend on Post Oak.

Like Juniper said - it's 95% there. But I can live with what they are doing. I mean, I don't think the front is ugly or anything, and I know that attracting drivers off the street HAS to be a top priority for the developers. The overall coolness of these buildings (design and style) and the layout of the complex far out weighs any problem I have with the narrow parking lot facing PO. But it would be so nice to see this place set a new standard for street aesthetics in Houston even if the rest of Uptown never becomes pedestrian friendly.

My 3 cents :)

The properties on Westheimer and Post Oak are simply too valuable to devote to surface parking. IMO, the Post Oak elevation would be better if they matched the San Felipe elevation. They could take a cue from the Galleria. Imagine a strip center parking lot in front of Neimans on Post Oak. While the Galleria did build some surface parking on Westheimer, they did so keeping in mind that eventually there would be future developement supplanted with parking structures.

But that's the prevailing attitude of many developers and posters here on HAIF. Build just what you can get away with and leave the aggie designed crap for someone else to clean up. I love your description "Don't almost do it"...it seems the mantra of the provincial Houston real estate/developer mind-set...and I propose we make "uglify" a legitamate descriptor for those that truely don't give a damn.

But it would be so nice to see this place set a new standard for street aesthetics in Houston even if the rest of Uptown never becomes pedestrian friendly.

My 3 cents :)

Absolutly. But it doesn't have to be pedestrian friendly on the outside to be aestheticly appealling on the inside. Houston for the most part has nailed down the environmetally controlled pedestrian interior shopping spaces. It's the expediant Aggie designed strip centers that will never beat the visitorship and long-term profitability of places like the Galleria.

BTW, have you seen the Aggie-style designed Jiffe Lube firehouse downtown? I know I'm off topic but I've yet to see a more embarrasing civic structure since the Hobby Center.

Edited by nmainguy

blah blah blah.. Aggies suck

1st off, the design firm working on Blvd place works out of San Francisco... eventhough you'd be lucky to having Aggies designing for you.

2nd, it doesnt matter where the design firm is becasue a project of this magnitude, decisions about parking will always come down to the developer.

3rd, even developers have to answer to tenants to get something built. Aggie (Engineer & businessman, not architect) developer Wulfe knows this. This project wouldnt get built if tenants can't be found and if all the tenants want some degree of street parking to be comfortable enough to sign, then thats thats what they get.

Furthermore... Hobby Center was designed by Robert Stern out of NYC.

And i read through the entire "fire station" thread, certainly noticed all your jiffylube moaning.... mind telling me what Aggie firm designed the firehouse, I certainly havent been able to find out which firm did it?

I was under the impression that new civic bldgs, including our firehouse, or least a good portion of them, had to go to disadvanted firms - minority or women owned.

Lastly, on the firestation, it a city's civic architecture across the board is mundane.. who's fault is that ? All the individual firms that design for them over time, or the city that controls the money. I guarandamntee you that even with the firehouse, firms start of a project presenting numerous visions to the client.. nobody wants to design mundane... but ultimately, the client gets what the client wants or can afford... and if so-in-so architecture firm can't deliver that, they can be replaced.

Regardless, your stance that if its a local project that sucks, it must be a local firm, and if its a local firm, it must be run by aggies is pretty juvenile and pathetic.

Edited by Subdude

I know the "Aggie" is the mascot of Texas A&M but can somebody please explain to me what an Aggie is? Is it an animal, like most of the other US college mascots? Or a scary looking native person like some of the Canadian college mascots??