Sugar Land Town Square Developents

UrbaNerd

I stumbled across some marketing materials for the proposed condo tower in Sugar Land Town Square. It'll be called "The Austin". I took a photo of the rendering, and although lighting conditions were exceptionally poor and I used the "macro" function instead of the "super macro" function, the resulting photo is below. I'm not proud of it.

Units are very pricey. They don't seem to justify the expense, as far as I'm concerned. Still, they've got a number of presales, so don't count it out entirely.

haif065zh1.jpg

Edited by TheNiche

I stumbled across some marketing materials for the proposed condo tower in Sugar Land Town Square. It'll be called "The Austin". I took a photo of the rendering, and although lighting conditions were exceptionally poor and I used the "macro" function instead of the "super macro" function, the resulting photo is below. I'm not proud of it.

Units are very pricey. They don't seem to justify the expense, as far as I'm concerned. Still, they've got a number of presales, so don't count it out entirely.

haif065zh1.jpg

They'll go fast I'm sure. There's a lot of money in the area and a lot of people approaching retirment age in the older sections of First Colony and Sugar Creek.

Not to mention that Sugar Land Town Square and the city itself have received huge accolades in the local and national press in the last year.

I love Sugarland Town Square.

I drove through there this afternoon and was completely underwhelmed. It is extraordinarily out of scale with everything that surrounds it and just seems to lack something...can't put my finger exactly on what it lacks, but words like 'genuineness', 'depth', and 'people' would seem to fit the bill. I was expecting more activity, but was evidently mistaken.

In a very much related comment, I've got a hot tip for real estate speculators out there: start buying up Mayfield Park and The Hill subdivisions in Sugar Land's older areas around the Imperial Sugar plant. Can't say too much :ph34r:, but if you do your research, you'll quickly figure out why. Mayfield Park has a higher risk profile than The Hill, but its appreciation potential is far greater.

I drove through there this afternoon and was completely underwhelmed. It is extraordinarily out of scale with everything that surrounds it and just seems to lack something...can't put my finger exactly on what it lacks, but words like 'genuineness', 'depth', and 'people' would seem to fit the bill. I was expecting more activity, but was evidently mistaken.

Go back on a Saturday night. That place is crawling with people. Don't think they built 3 large mulit-level parking garages for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

we love mi luna! unfortunately, our location is back in indian springs (miles from the woodlands town center). it would have been nice in our town center. i'm glad to hear that sugarland's town center is getting one. hopefully, it means ours is doing well and will stay around.

are those condo towers off the ground in/at sugarland town center?

I was driving through Town Square last night and I saw a sign for one of my favorite restaurant that is coming to town. Mi Luna a Spanish Tapas bar.

Yeah, Mi Luna is a pretty big score for Town Square. Especially when The Village isn't that far away. I didn't even realize that retail would be going into that section of Town Square (across from TGI Fridays), first level of the garage. I think it's great. We need the whole area to be vibrant and walkable.

No, it is still a pile of dirt. Hopefully it will get off the ground pretty soon. I think I will bring more of an urban feel to that area.

They better get some good photos of the city hall, because once the condo tower is built, the view will be blocked.

I'm not sure what you mean. What view will be blocked?

The condos are going to be at HWY6 I believe, not in front of City Hall. The building in front of City Hall is going to be an office building I think. Plus, it's positioned where the entrance road would go between that building and the Mariott, so I think there will always be a clear view of City hall from 59.

• 1 month later...
I was driving through Town Square last night and I saw a sign for one of my favorite restaurant that is coming to town. Mi Luna a Spanish Tapas bar.

Hello everyone. So it looks like u guys like Mi Luna and thats a good news for me because I am opening up 1 or 2 more in Willowbrook area and Pearland in partnership with the owner. Just need few feedbacks on what would u like to see different about the restaurant and what do u think would make the restaurant better? Any feedbacks will be appreciated. Thanks

I just drove through Town Square this weekend, there are a lot of positive things going on:

Now Open:

Johnny Rockets (across from Baker Street Pub)

Kiss Kiss (across from Baker Street Pub)

Learning Express (across from Baker Street Pub)

The Right Start (near Chipotle)

Coming Soon:

Amici (across from the Square and Marriott)

Dessert Gallery (near Chipotle)

Mi Luna (corner of garage near Town Center Blvd.)

Tacone Flavor Grill (New to TX, not sure of location)

Hemline (across from Baker Street Pub)

Motherhood Maternity (near Sharper Image)

Go back on a Saturday night. That place is crawling with people. Don't think they built 3 large mulit-level parking garages for nothing.

Give it time. It will eventually be very apparent why 3 large multi-level parking garages were completely unneccessary.

It will be either Pearland or Willowbrook area first. Location is still to be decided. The whole project is still under talks and could be finalized in a month or 2.

Mi Luna would be a natural fit in the new Vintage Park development (just north of Willowbrook on 249 & Louetta). Taco Milagro, Lupe Tortillas and PF Chang's have opened up here within the last few months and have enjoyed big openings. There's definitely a hunger for more 'inside the loop' type dining alternatives out here.

Edited by mrfootball

Mi Luna would be a natural fit in the new Vintage Park development (just north of Willowbrook on 249 & Louetta). Taco Milagro, Lupe Tortillas and PF Chang's have opened up here within the last few months and have enjoyed big openings. There's definitely a hunger for more 'inside the loop' type dining alternatives out here.

Wow Vintage Park looks really beautiful and promising. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
I just drove through Town Square this weekend, there are a lot of positive things going on:

Now Open:

Coming Soon:

Tacone Flavor Grill (New to TX, not sure of location)

Hemline (across from Baker Street Pub)

Amici is now open! I haven't been but it looks really cool, it's got an uptown, hip look to it. The outer walls of windows that face Town Square open completely so that the whole restaurant is open to the outdoors. The tables are right on the sidewalk much like some of the restaurants on Jackson Square in New Orleans.

Here is an updated list of openings:

Now Open:

Coming Soon:

Sweet and Sassy (spa)

Tacone Flavor Grill (first floor of garage, across from future high-rise condo building)

Hemline of New Orleans (across from Baker Street Pub)

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about these town center projects. The Sugar Land Town Center is nice, especially with the new city hall. Still, all of these things I have seen do indeed look like a movie set.

The other gripe I have is that the big box stores run mom & pop businesses out of business, thus ruining many REAL downtown areas. Now they try to recreate them with these town centers, only this time THEY are the only stores.

Here is a similar project they just put up on the prairie in the SE Denver area in far south Aurora, CO. The Aurora Southlands website has an interactive map at http://www.shopsouthlands.com/directory.asp.

Here are a couple of photos I took recently.

Southlands' "Main Street"

MainSt.jpg

The Southlands Cinema, centerpiece of the project

NightCine.jpg

Edited by HoustonianInColorado

• 3 weeks later...
Although I think most of these town center deals pretty retarded and corny, there is one in Columbus, OH that is thriving quite well. It originally opened in 1999. Its called Easton Town Center. Check it out online.

I've been to this one, it is really nice. I think it was one of the first one or two true "Town Center" project built in the US. Now they're popping up everywhere.