Sugar Land Town Square Developents

UrbaNerd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is it just me, or does it seem like Sugar Land just copies everything they see the Woodlands doing? "Elements of a downtown combined with a walkable area"...

The Sugar Land task force travelled to Reston, Virginia, to study the Reston Town Center...which is the model for the one currently built and being built in Sugar Land. You'll find that the 'town center' concept is universal across the US in a number of communities...so i'm not sure that they're just copying the Woodlands.

From what I remember, the SL and Woodlands town square projects began about the same time... I don't think one copied off the other. I think it's a great idea for both places. I believe I once read that Friendswood has something similar in the planningstages.

I wish they would stop with the town squares. These places look like movie sets, not walkable urban cities.

Fair enough, but their heart's in the right place. Trying to create a walkable urban city in a suburban area in an automobile-dominated era is a tough design challenge. I think they are trying to capture somewhat of an urban flavor for people who may not feel comfortable in a New York-style urban environment.

I actually just left there and say what you will, but this place looks great. To actually see residences above retail (a lot of it is open by the way) in a city like Houston is a accomplishment. People were walking along the sidewalks on their way to the restaraunts and stores, couples were sitting on the steps of City Hall by the fountains, and the storefront retail along the sidewalks was very inviting.

None of the residences looked as if they were occupied at the moment but seeing residential windows above those storefronts just made me lust for one. I'm sure they are going to be very popular.

I hope the city of Houston and some of the developers that are allowed to develop in the city, take note of what Sugarland has done and how inviting that type of development is to actual people instead of soley thinking of the automobile.

I'm aware the types of developments like Sugarland Town Square come a dime a dozen in this country, but in Houston it is like something dropped from Heaven.

I actually just left there and say what you will, but this place looks great. To actually see residences above retail (a lot of it is open by the way) in a city like Houston is a accomplishment. People were walking along the sidewalks on their way to the restaraunts and stores, couples were sitting on the steps of City Hall by the fountains, and the storefront retail along the sidewalks was very inviting.

None of the residences looked as if they were occupied at the moment but seeing residential windows above those storefronts just made me lust for one. I'm sure they are going to be very popular.

I hope the city of Houston and some of the developers that are allowed to develop in the city, take note of what Sugarland has done and how inviting that type of development is to actual people instead of soley thinking of the automobile.

I'm aware the types of developments like Sugarland Town Square come a dime a dozen in this country, but in Houston it is like something dropped from Heaven.

VelvetJ...I couldn't agree more. The fact that Sugar Land can pull off mixed-use psuedo urban development should surely be a sign that an area like Midtown can as well. Granted, it'slikely easier to attract the big names to Sugar Land than it is to Midtown - but nonetheless, they seemto have the right idea and in midtown, i feel like we could learn something from it.

I like this one better than the one in The Woodlands, because this one has more midrise structures, and it has the city hall, as well as the residential elements. This is more urban, as Market street has ALOT of parking lots on the parameters of the project. SLTS has several garages, and street front parking with meters. It is a nice urban oasis. Plus, SL has plans for an even grander development across 59- similar to the Woodlands Waterway, but not quite. It will include more midrise shops, and some high density res (condos, townhomes, lofts, etc)

I wish they would stop with the town squares. These places look like movie sets, not walkable urban cities.

I think it's a great idea. It attempts to satisfy our current desire for quaint/upscale village/centrally located amenities. The clock tower does a bit look like the "Back to The Future" movie set though.

I think it's a great idea. It attempts to satisfy our current desire for quaint/upscale village/centrally located amenities. The clock tower does a bit look like the "Back to The Future" movie set though.

No no, I drove by this afternoon coming back from Corpus Christi. Not only is it almost cartoonish, but the surrouding area adds to the unreal quality of it.

That drive in along US59 is one of the most depressing drives I've ever made.

how is the drive down 59 depressing.  that is the stupidest things i have ever heard.  please explain.  because I think that 59 is one of the best drives in the city.  i love all the development along the freeway.  it makes you feel like you are in a city instead of some hick town.

By city you mean sprawl?

No no, I drove by this afternoon coming back from Corpus Christi.  Not only is it almost cartoonish, but the surrouding area adds to the unreal quality of it.

That drive in along US59 is one of the most depressing drives I've ever made.

If I may ask UrbanLandscape, did you get off of 59 and actually go into the Town Square to see what it was like?

Also, if you find 59 depressing, what freeway in Houston do you find the most exciting? I-45 north or south, I-10 East or West, 290, or some other Freeway?

If I may ask UrbanLandscape, did you get off of 59 and actually go into the Town Square to see what it was like?

Also, if you find 59 depressing, what freeway in Houston do you find the most exciting? I-45 north or south, I-10 East or West, 290, or some other Freeway?

I don't think you want me to answer that.

^

Oh my bad, I took your statement as 59 was worse in appearance and more depressing than other freeways in Houston.

I actually love that our freeways are lined with office buildings and businesses, etc., it's just I think it could be done a whole lot better in some places (I-45 is a big pet-peeve of mine). Houston sprawls, and is what it is, and I actually have always had issue with the reasoning of those that believe that any place that is spread out is not a city.

So when you are traveling up 59 and don't feel you are in a city, that is a opinion that I think many in Houston would disagree with. Oh well, to each his own.

• 1 month later...
Ok, but remember you asked:

Pretty much every drive into houston is depressing, and that's quite unfortunate.

Hey UrbanLandscape,

In that case, I guess you could say that about freeways in any big city. After all, which big city freeway is NOT boring/depressing? Driving on NJ Turnpike going to NY or driving on I-5 going to LA is just about as boring. Please don

What can I say?  Some are worse than others.  However, there are some highways that do an excellent job, proving it's possible, like US75/Central Expressway in Dallas, to name just one of many.  I understand Seattle has great freeway entrances.

I havnt been to Dallas. Yeah, Seattle does have great freeway entrances. However, I think most of that is due to natual beauty of the area created by the hills and lakes. Unfortunately, we dont have that kind of natual beauty in Houston.

You could also count Highway 1 going to San Francisco via Golden Gate bridge or the Parkway going to New York City from upstate New York. However, again, thats due to the hills and water in the area.

What have they done with US75 in Dallas? I guess they could try replicating that in Houston. By the way, you aren't from Dallas, right? :)

What have they done with US75 in Dallas? I guess they could try replicating that in Houston. By the way, you aren't from Dallas, right?

Actually, I was born and raised there, I just go to school in Huntsville, first time I've lived away in my life, these last four months.

I'll try to find some pictures of Central; it's a great looking stretch of highway.

Ironically enough, 59 inside of the loop from the edge of the Greenway Plaza area through the Montrose will look somewhat similar to what was done on the Central Expressway in Dallas. Once the construction is done, the ivy and vegitation has matured more, and all of the bridges with the fibre optics are finished, it is going to be just as attractive, if not more so.

Ironically enough, 59 inside of the loop from the edge of the Greenway Plaza area through the Montrose will look somewhat similar to what was done on the Central Expressway in Dallas. Once the construction is done, the ivy and vegitation has matured more, and all of the bridges with the fibre optics are finished, it is going to be just as attractive, if not more so.

I'm very glad to hear this. My feelings on highways are that as long as we still have them, they should at least look good. Anyone have any renderings or some idea of what it will look like?

It's almost done, although it doesn't stretch quite that much. The gateway to Houston section starts at Greenbriar and ends around Montrose, with only one bridge left to complete. I guess they are keeping the elevated freeway to the east. To the west it becomes plain old US59.