DJLawrence comes home

How sweet it is!!! I'm home for good this time!

One of the best things about living in a foriegn country for so long was seeing how Houston looked from an outside point of view. It's like being Neil Armstrong looking at earth from the moon, but you're able to hear what the people on earth are talking about. I hope to meet a lot of you when I come down, but I am nervous and anxious to see what Houston as a whole looks like, and how it's changed since I visited there during Super Bowl '04.

Thanx for the thread :wub:

You're back home in Alief? Was the Westpark Toll there when you left? I can't think of anything else that's happened over in that area. Chinatown has grown a bit in the last year though.

Anyway, welcome back - and thank you for serving.

You're back home in Alief? Was the Westpark Toll there when you left? I can't think of anything else that's happened over in that area. Chinatown has grown a bit in the last year though.

Anyway, welcome back - and thank you for serving.

Oye! I'll be back in Alief. But yeah, I remember the Westpark under construction when I left. Was that completed?

This is my last post in S.Korea, and wanted to say thanx to all of HAIF for keeping me informed about Houston's improvements and mentality for all the time I was here. It will be a little wierd for me reading HAIF for the first time while actually IN Houston :)

I first arrived in Korea in June 2002 during the first round of the World Cup, which Korea and Japan hosted. The people here are VERY passionate about their home country, but I saw a rise of national passion from Americans over here as well. The architecture here is very urbanized, so it gave me a new perspective of that whole "urban vs. sprawl" debate. I like Houston's set-up as it is, where it seems that you get more for your money in terms of property.

Also, from the outside looking in, I got to watch Houston's world-class status rise sky high. I noticed people who once asked me "where is Houston?" in 2002 asking me "when is the best time of year to visit Houston" by the end of 2005 until current. Since I first moved out of Houston into the Army in 2001, we hosted a Super Bowl, All Star Games, the biggest evacuation center in U.S. history, lost Enron, gained a pennant, and countless Houstonians became stars. You wouldn't believe how many people here are sporting Houston jerseys now compared to 3 years ago.

I look forward to meeting you in the coming months, and I'm nervous yet excited to see what's new in Houston for me, like the Texans and Reliant Stadium, Toyota Center, the light rail, the new convention hotel, and Hobby Center.

Thanx once again, and to the city of Dallas, you're looking good as well :)

p.s. Houstonian In Iraq, come home soon. There's a beer n BBQ waiting with your name on it B)

p.s. Houstonian In Iraq, come home soon. There's a beer n BBQ waiting with your name on it B)

Thanks man :D I will be in town very briefly enroute to some training in WI

Have fun....not too much though.....like me and my guys coming back from Iraq the other day.....that was wild.....the stories :blush: That was the fastest and funnest transAtlantic flight I had ever been on though :P

Take it easy B)

Welcome back DJ. I also thank you for serving.

You Da Man! :P

:) Thanx, yo! Bachanon as well!

It's GREAT to be home! (my first post ever in Houston)

I wish I had a camera with me, but as I was in Seoul taking a bus to the Incheon international Airport, I looked on the side of the road and to my surprise, I saw a picture that took up the entire side of a building in Korean of Joel Olsteen :lol: No joke! I was like WHOA! I've never seen Lakewood shown on Korean tv (and have looked 'cause I was curious), and I'm aware that his books are popular in Korea, but to see a picture that big of his million-dollar smile on the side of a Korean skyscraper as a Times-Square billboard tripped me out! LOL!!

Man, first things I noticed were the amount of CVS's in Houston, the parking lot on 1-10, how much greener the whole city's gotten (there was a lot of planting and landscaping going on around the time I last left, so I guess it's all taking shape), and how unbelievable friendly my fellow Houstonians were, which I missed most about Houston.

I woke up extra early to see and feel that Houston sunrise that I once took for granted. The air this morning, man oh man...

Archived