The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

My Table magazine's current issue features a "Foodie Guide to the Heights". They cover 30 establishments ranging from Andy's and Pink's to Bedford and Textile, and outlets like Penzey's and El Bolillo. Nice, short takes on each. They arranged the article geographically - 19th, Studewood, White Oak, Airline, and other.

If you're not a subscriber, they do have limited retail circulation. I think I've seen it at Sur La Table.

My Table magazine's current issue features a "Foodie Guide to the Heights". They cover 30 establishments ranging from Andy's and Pink's to Bedford and Textile, and outlets like Penzey's and El Bolillo. Nice, short takes on each. They arranged the article geographically - 19th, Studewood, White Oak, Airline, and other.

If you're not a subscriber, they do have limited retail circulation. I think I've seen it at Sur La Table.

P - Please don't trouble yourself if it's too much bother, but I'd love to see just a list of the spots they covered. I've got my own list of Heights-area restaurants and am always looking for ways to check its completeness.

I like it too. Most importantly, it's BYOB - I don't think they even charged us a corkage fee the times we've been in there.

Honestly, I found the food there quite good but the ambiance (at night) quite depressing. It is not warm, nor minimalist industrial chic - it is just dim.

Edited by cwrm4

P - Please don't trouble yourself if it's too much bother, but I'd love to see just a list of the spots they covered. I've got my own list of Heights-area restaurants and am always looking for ways to check its completeness.

Usual suspects, T. A lot on Airline. (Oh, and there were only 28 listed).

Studewood

-Bedford

-Glass Wall

-Antidote

-Dacapo's

-Andy's

-11th Street Caf

Not exactly in the Heights, but has anyone tried Wild Wild Wings on 18th Street near W. T. C. Jester? I see it in the strip center but couldn't find any reviews.

Also, has anyone tried the new Chachos on 45N at the Tidwell exit? We go to Aunt Bea's a lot for breakfast on the weekends and saw it there. I love the one over on the SW side but it's a lot of traffic to get there.

Which strip center is the Wild Wild Wings in? I can't picture it. It must be new. Close to HEB or on the other side?

My daughter went to the Chachos at Tidwell and said it was as good as the one on Westheimer. If you go to the website they ahve the menu. It doesn't look as extensive as the original, but that may change. So glad there is one closer!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am a foodie that moved to the Heights area (Timbergrove) back in July. I previously lived in Clear Lake for 12 years.

I enjoyed reading this thread. I have been exploring the restaurants and am always trying new ones. I had not heard of Sweet Temptations but will try it out.

It sounds like the restaurant diversity in the Heights has improved greatly over the years but I have found a some cuisines still lacking. I love mediterranean and have yet to find any good ones closer than Rice Village - I love Istanbul. I also haven't found a good sushi place yet. I also miss the cheap Pho places, but now that Vietnam has reopened that kind of fills that void.

My favorites/regulars in the heights: Vietnam, Dry Creek/Cedar Creek, Golden Cafe (for take out Chinese), Asia Market or Vieng Thai (on long point), Pinks Pizza and Chatters when our in laws come in town.

You mentioned Wild Wild Wing, that place is just around the corner from my house I haven't been there. I recommend Kojaks Cafe in 18th street west of Ella. Great food, but closes at 8 PM weeknights and is not open weekends.

I've passed by Chatters--what kind of food do they have?

We're right around the corner from Kojak's as well but I wasn't impressed with them.

We recently visited One's a Meal over in Montrose--they are fabulous. We have the Greek salad with gyro meat on top and it is the best gyro meat ever!

Have you tried Cavatore's? It's Italian. There's also a pretty decent Italian place over off 290 in the same parking lot with Black Eyed Pea--Fratelli's.

We've been meaning to try El Rey over off Ella but haven't made it over yet.

I can't help you with the sushi--we don't eat that. Let me know if you explore anywhere new.

Chatters has American food with some mediterranean. Sandwiches/salads, entrees. My in laws are older and from the burbs, so this was a 'safe' in the loop place to take them - they aren't exactly the onion creek crowd. It also was a hit with the 90 y.o. grandmas. here is the website http://www.chatterscafe.com/

we tried cavatore's the first week we were here and were not too impressed. everything was good, but the price was a bit to high for us for what we got. the place/food seemed a little dated, like something still stuck in the 90s. we prefer collinas for italian in the heights.

i've only been to the el rey on washington. great food, good people watching. mix of laborers and yuppies.

kojaks has some mediterranean, actually the last two times i ate there i got the greek plate - one of my favorite dishes - hummus, tabbouleh, baba ganoush, pita bread.

another place we like is supreme sandwiches on west TC jester just outside 610 in the same strip mall as the strip club. my hubby works from home and goes here during the week for a quick lunch - all the sandwiches are premade each day. go in, pick up your sandwich, chips, drink and it is less than $5.

Big Mamou: not open yet

Bedford: been twice and really liked it. The portions aren't large at all, but the quality of the food is A+. I've heard many complaints about the service there, but the both times I've been its been very attentive. The noise levels aren't nearly what Glass Wall is and the price level is fairly comparable.

Textile: haven't done that one yet.

Good Afternoon,

Seeking any feedback, comments, or experiences dining at

The Big Mamou, The Bedford, or Textile restaurant?

Thank you

Bedford: been twice. bad service both times but superior food that will make me give them another try. last time a friend went, she said her waiter was new and it looked like that had turned some staff over so that is promising. hate the atmosphere. it looks like a hotel restaurant. but in the end- decent service and excellent food trump bad layout.

Textile: have tried twice to get reservations. they think they are pretty special- you have to leave a message for the catering manager and she may or may not ever get back to you. i'll try again, but will wait til crowd slows and they think that they might have to be attentive.

all i can say about BM is it better be good. we've been waiting long enough!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
another place we like is supreme sandwiches on west TC jester just outside 610 in the same strip mall as the strip club. my hubby works from home and goes here during the week for a quick lunch - all the sandwiches are premade each day. go in, pick up your sandwich, chips, drink and it is less than $5.

$5 sandwich + 3 X $20 lap dances = priceless lunch... :rolleyes::lol::P

Bedford: been twice. bad service both times but superior food that will make me give them another try. last time a friend went, she said her waiter was new and it looked like that had turned some staff over so that is promising.

Cuz half the staff walked out back in Feb.

Big Mamou opening this Friday.

Anyone check the Big Mamou out yet? It had a good crowd last weekend. I'm going to try to go in the next few days. My tastebuds are from New Orleans even though I wasn't born there.

Yeah, I was there for opening lunch on Friday. The food is really good. I had a fried shrimp po'boy w/ spicy fries, my friend had fried green tomatoes and jambalaya. The po'boy was really good, fresh bread, about 5-6 decent sized shrimps. Fries were adequate, like other spicy fries. The jambalaya was really tasty, but for $8 we only got a small scoop. Expensive for just rice. I HOPE that was a mistake as they had literally just opened and everyone was trying to figure out their place in the greater scheme, so I hope we ended up with a smaller portion that what should normally be served.

The menu is limited now, no crawfish on weekends (yet). No Abita beer (whats up with that?). No bread pudding. I suspect those will come in due time, they just have to get used to things. I'm curious what others thought, but its a great addition to the hood imo.

Yeah, I was there for opening lunch on Friday. The food is really good. I had a fried shrimp po'boy w/ spicy fries, my friend had fried green tomatoes and jambalaya. The po'boy was really good, fresh bread, about 5-6 decent sized shrimps. Fries were adequate, like other spicy fries. The jambalaya was really tasty, but for $8 we only got a small scoop. Expensive for just rice. I HOPE that was a mistake as they had literally just opened and everyone was trying to figure out their place in the greater scheme, so I hope we ended up with a smaller portion that what should normally be served.

The menu is limited now, no crawfish on weekends (yet). No Abita beer (whats up with that?). No bread pudding. I suspect those will come in due time, they just have to get used to things. I'm curious what others thought, but its a great addition to the hood imo.

They have a place on their Web site to make comments. Maybe we could convince them to add Abita to their beer selection. I'm sure they would appreciate suggestions from the neighborhood.

http://thebigmamou.com/contactus.html

I haven't been yet but plan on trying it out this weekend.

I also was there Friday and ordered a Shrimp Poboy and Fries and was not very impressed. The poboy literally had only 5 shrimp on it and I am not sure they weren't pre-breaded or something strange. I really had high expectations for this place hopefully it was just an opening night thing and the quality will improve.

Say it ain't so - 5 shrimp on a poboy? I don't care if they're big, that's pathetic. Are they pimping this place as upscale cajun or something? Poboys should always be overflowing with whatever meat is on it, and should always be offered as whole or half. And half better damn fill you up, whole would be for 2 people, or one male between the ages of 16 and 25.

Say it ain't so - 5 shrimp on a poboy? I don't care if they're big, that's pathetic. Are they pimping this place as upscale cajun or something? Poboys should always be overflowing with whatever meat is on it, and should always be offered as whole or half. And half better damn fill you up, whole would be for 2 people, or one male between the ages of 16 and 25.

My thoughts exactly! 5 shrimp makes it what--a Eighth Loaf?

So, is Textile still only offering the prix-fixe tasting menu? I thought they were planning to open with that, but then go with regular menu options once they got past the opening weeks. I want to go, but talking my eating buddies into plunking down $130 each hasn't been easy. It would make it easier if there was at least a possibility of getting out of there for less.