The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Yeah, it's $10 I think. Just a PITA if you only want one drink before continuing somewhere else. Same thing at Leon's, which is too bad because Leon's is often on the way to somewhere else I'm going.

They want people who stay at their business.

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/07/02/damicos-has-shuttered-its-heights-location.php The official version. I can certainly understand the decision. Anything that goes in that location is going to have to be able to make money off of bar spillover like Tacos Agogo does. A pizza place that sells by the slice might work if it was really good.

http://www.theleadernews.com/?p=10589

A pizza place it will be. 

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a TABC Application Notice on a recently closed used car lot at Shepherd and 15th St.  Not that I care, but I thought this area was within the "dry" boundary.

The name is "Heights Beer Garden."  Its the orange building on the southwest corner, across from the Tortilla factory.  

Incidentally, I've noticed a number of the used car lots up and down Durham and Shepherd have closed recently.

I noticed a TABC Application Notice on a recently closed used car lot at Shepherd and 15th St.  Not that I care, but I thought this area was within the "dry" boundary.

The name is "Heights Beer Garden."  Its the orange building on the southwest corner, across from the Tortilla factory.  

Incidentally, I've noticed a number of the used car lots up and down Durham and Shepherd have closed recently.

Dry area starts on W. 16th and Shep. 

Used car lots have been closing on Durham and Shep.  However, I do not think that it is because they are getting huge offers for their land.  I know of one used lot on Durham and 15th that is selling the land because they went bankrupt.  Land has been on the market for a few months.  The tote the note/wholesaler lots are big time wheeler dealers.  If they get upside down on a couple of car deals, their entire house of cards comes down pretty quickly. 

The tote the note/wholesaler lots are big time wheeler dealers.  If they get upside down on a couple of car deals, their entire house of cards comes down pretty quickly. 

I am sure that you are an expert on this industry. However, most of these dealers sell on a weekly payment plan with high interest rates. It is nearly impossible for them to "get upside down on a couple of car deals", as they will have the car repo'd before it is a month overdue. Many even put ignition locks on them. If a borrower gets behind, the car locks up.

I suspect that you just made this up.

Edited by RedScare

Yep.  I know a guy who owns one of those...  it makes plenty of money, enough to where his only intrest for selling the lot is to buy another where he would have more space for more cars.  A lot of the ones that are closing and selling are popping up somewhere else in a cheaper location.  They use the profit off the land sell to purchase more inventory.

If they rent the property there is no incentive to move, and unless they stop paying rent there isn't much incentive to sell the land as it will just keep on appreciating.

Edited by SilverJK

Shepherd is "wet" south of 16th and north of 26th.

There is a helpful map of the dry area here.

Shepherd is "wet" south of 16th and north of 26th.

There is a helpful map of the dry area here.

That's a helpful map, but it's off by a block on the eastern boundary - should be Oxford.  You can use Onion Creek as a  guidepost

• 3 weeks later...

I heard on the radio this morning that there was a "popular" restaurant in the Heights that is now banning families with children after 7pm from dining with them.  They did not name the restaurant or really explain the policy, but I am curious what place it is, and what the policy really is?  When the clock strikes 7 are they handing families their checks, are they just not sitting new parties with families after 7?  

I am really curious as it seems to me that nearly every new resident in the Heights is a family with children or two a couple who is likely to soon have children, so unless its a very nice upscale restaurant, or a bar more than a restaurant, it seems to me to be a move that is likely to isolate quite a bit of its customer base. 

With that said I am 100% for allowing a restaurant to serve the demographic they want.  I have zero problem with it and I am not going to attempt to question their reasoning, its their business they can and should do whatever they want...I just was curious as to the place and the policy.

I heard on the radio this morning that there was a "popular" restaurant in the Heights that is now banning families with children after 7pm from dining with them.  They did not name the restaurant or really explain the policy, but I am curious what place it is, and what the policy really is?  When the clock strikes 7 are they handing families their checks, are they just not sitting new parties with families after 7?  

I am really curious as it seems to me that nearly every new resident in the Heights is a family with children or two a couple who is likely to soon have children, so unless its a very nice upscale restaurant, or a bar more than a restaurant, it seems to me to be a move that is likely to isolate quite a bit of its customer base. 

With that said I am 100% for allowing a restaurant to serve the demographic they want.  I have zero problem with it and I am not going to attempt to question their reasoning, its their business they can and should do whatever they want...I just was curious as to the place and the policy.

La Fisheria.  http://houston.culturemap.com/news/food/08-06-13-bring-kids-no-service-houston-restaurant-bans-children-at-night/

They do not seat people with children under 8 after 7 pm.  The chef is a celebrity in Mexico.  I think the restaurant became popular for big family gatherings/celebrations as it is fairly high end, has a celebrity chef, but is still has relatively accessible food that will please most tastes.  Whenever you do a big dinner like that with kids, the service gets slow and the kids get squirmy.  I think they will do fine with the people who want to have a night out on the town.  But, they may seriously alienate people who would have otherwise brought the family and dined before 7 pm.  This sort of thing really sets off the Heights mommy mafia.

Well Ive never been to it and b/c of the policy I doubt I ever will....its not that the policy offends me, b/c it does not...its just that if I want a nice dinner out, I am sure as heck am not going out for mexican food....When I dine out without the kids I much prefer to goto places that serve food that I can't get at most other places I go regularly with kids...also while Im not a chef, or even a good cook, I am pretty capable of making good mexican food - so mexican food is pretty much my absolute last choice when out and about.

Well Ive never been to it and b/c of the policy I doubt I ever will....its not that the policy offends me, b/c it does not...its just that if I want a nice dinner out, I am sure as heck am not going out for mexican food....When I dine out without the kids I much prefer to goto places that serve food that I can't get at most other places I go regularly with kids...also while Im not a chef, or even a good cook, I am pretty capable of making good mexican food - so mexican food is pretty much my absolute last choice when out and about.

It is really a high end seafood restaurant much more than a traditional Mexican restaurant.  More like if Hugo's and Reef merged than El Tiempo or the Original Ninfas on Navigation.  I have been and had lobster tail over red beet risotto.  Wife had snapper Veracruz.  You can get similar snapper dishes at Mexican restaurants, but no where near the quality.  You certainly cannot get the lobster dish.  The restaurant is very good.  There are definitely better places in Houston, but it is worth a try and is something unique.

Christians changes coming, word is owner sold out to SherlocKk's,all sites except old quik stop....more live music on White Oak...

I heard this last night as well.  So he is keeping the original Christians Totem on Washington and I10?  My source said the name is being sold along with the businesses.

I heard this last night as well.  So he is keeping the original Christians Totem on Washington and I10?  My source said the name is being sold along with the businesses.

Last week I heard they all were sold, but that was fourth-hand and slurred.  Then I checked with a business associate of Steve (Christians owner) and Steve told him he was keeping the Totem because all his friends drink there.  When I first moved here in 1991, staying out 290, it was Ken's Totem, a perfect stop for a tall boy before getting on the 290 HOV on Old Katy Road, pre-open container law.

• 2 weeks later...

How late do you take 7 year olds to dinner?

me thinks you are not at all familiar with the cuisine being served there.

How late do you take 7 year olds to dinner?

I've never even tried to eat out with my kids after 6pm.  My kids wake up at 5:30am, and goto sleep at 8.  Starting a dinner out after 6 with my kids would be a disaster and I would never do that to myself, or other diners.

I've never even tried to eat out with my kids after 6pm.  My kids wake up at 5:30am, and goto sleep at 8.  Starting a dinner out after 6 with my kids would be a disaster and I would never do that to myself, or other diners.

Well then, I don't see why you wouldn't go to the restaurant as the policy only applies after 7 PM.

http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2013/08/undici-undici-studewood-piatto-comes-to.html

Heights Life spotted a booze application for Piatto at 1111 Studewood. For what it is worth, Union Kitchen posted a booze app and still bailed. But, given the growth in the neighborhood, you would think that this one would stick, especially now that it looks like the three year odyssey of building a small multifamily condo building is finally coming to a close.

3 years?  Did you even live here 3 years ago.  It was about 2.5 years ago when they first started breaking ground on this project.  While I agree that it has taken a very long time, I find your slant on the property hilarious.  You say "small multifamily condo" to exaggerate the timeline, when you've previously said something along the lines of huge, out of scale, will shade the neighbors, etc.  Union Kitched bailed for many reasons (one of them reportedly due to the delay in finishing out the building which makes a lot of sense).  This post is a great example of s3mh being s3mh.