The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Yucatan Taco Stand is going into the old Stella Sola/Bedford building.

Wow. Was it really worth it to miss out on a year's worth of rent for this tenant? I wonder whether all the local restaurant talent wouldn't touch the location with a ten foot pole after the dust up with Killen and loss of Stella Sola. I will never understand commercial lessors.

On a related note, Torchy's has their build out permits and is doing a lot of work on the interior now. My guess would be 4-6 weeks to completion.

Do you own the franchise??

No. This info came from a Heights restaurateur and a local real estate lawyer.

Which reminds me I should have asked last night about the Studewoodish over saturation or potential thereof. The Tex/Mex joint going in at corner on White Oak, now the Yucatan place 4 block away. The midrise on 10th looking for a restaurant tenent, etc. There is already good Mex on Main and few block further on Airline.

Edited by JCR

Wow. Was it really worth it to miss out on a year's worth of rent for this tenant? I wonder whether all the local restaurant talent wouldn't touch the location with a ten foot pole after the dust up with Killen and loss of Stella Sola. I will never understand commercial lessors.

My sources just roll their eyes regarding this saga. The layout of the building itself which is not optimal for a restaurant. Big sq footage = big rent. Need lots of covers to make it work. The contractual nonsense, etc. Killen was smart to bail. Overhead at his new place will be a better deal.

No. This info came from a Heights restaurateur and a local real estate lawyer.

Which reminds me I should have asked last night about the Studewoodish over saturation or potential thereof. The Tex/Mex joint going in at corner on White Oak, now the Yucatan place 4 block away. The midrise on 10th looking for a restaurant tenent, etc. There is already good Mex on Main and few block further on Airline.

No opinions on the Yucatan thing as I have never been, but there is plenty of demand for more restaurants in the Heights. You cannot get in the door at Teotihuacan on Friday or Saturday night. Yucatan is more upscale and might find a niche in the Heights.

No opinions on the Yucatan thing as I have never been, but there is plenty of demand for more restaurants in the Heights. You cannot get in the door at Teotihuacan on Friday or Saturday night. Yucatan is more upscale and might find a niche in the Heights.

I can wait in line for good Tex/Mex or Mexican, but this is Tacos Yucatan del norte: "now open in OKC, Ft worth and the Woodlands".

Kind of reminds me of the Tamale Factory on Studewood/11th that had the “best tamales south of the border”.

We'll see, their website description suggests a mishmash of Latin American culinary stereotype-branding that could appeal to the late night White Oak crowd, but The El will have them locked up.

except if it was next to your house you'd probably complain. 

I'm excited about this place opening.  I'm a bit confused though... isn't Volcano under the sun technically a Tiki bar?   Did it close when I wasn't looking?

Under The Volcano? No, not a tiki bar.

Zombie, Mai Tai, Scorpion, those are the types of drinks you'd find at a tiki bar. I don't think Under The Volcano even stocks orgeat. I see it as a Mexican bar. There's a lot of little Mexican cultural type of stuff in the design.

I like Under The Volcano, for the most part. Drinks are decent, though it can get a little packed, and credit card minimums really burn my biscuits.

Edited by kylejack

I must have never got out of there cheaply enough to get hit by a credit card minimum...

Yeah, it's $10 I think. Just a PITA if you only want one drink before continuing somewhere else. Same thing at Leon's, which is too bad because Leon's is often on the way to somewhere else I'm going.

moo.   I would have liked to see something we didn't already have around here but this sounds ok.

Hard to do anything but a place with quick service and fast turnover at that little place given the economics. Might have worked as a casual sushi restaurant, but people tend to linger when they eat sushi. Plus, there wasn't really enough room for a good sushi bar inside. Thus, two hot dog places is better than eight Mexican restaurants or seven sandwich shops or five and a half Italian restaurants, etc.

And D'Amico's just closed. No idea why. I would speculate that the bar scene makes it very difficult to get customers on Friday and Saturday night due to the parking situation. It will only get worse with the cantina. And the competition down the street from Coltivare will also make things difficult for them.

I like D'Amico's... but every time I went there I would ask myself "why didn't I just go to Nundinis Chef's Table?"  With Coltivare opening and Bellissimo I think we have plenty of Italian.  I thought D'Amico's was doing okay though... I was going to go the other Friday around 8pm and they had a wait so I just went to Tacos a gogo