The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Our list:

Delivery:

Star Pizza

Chatter's Cafe

To go or eat in:

Onion Creek

Pie in the Sky (new but I think we've already been there at least 3 times)

Mission Burrito

Teotihuacan

JAX Grill

oh yeah! we get chatter's delivery 2x a month easy. their hummus is the best!

Running tally so far...

6 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos, fish torta)

5 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

4 - Lola

4 - Onion Creek

3 - Stella Sola (brunch)

3 - Dacapos (sandwiches, custom cakes, cakes, pie by slice)

3 - Star Pizza

3 - Dry Creek (chicken tender salad)

2 - King Biscuit (spicy fries, outdoor grill)

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - Chilosos (breakfast tacos)

2 - Carter and Cooley (sandwiches, honey ham and brie sandwich)

2 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

2 - Pink’s (Mediterranean)

2 - El Tiempo

2 - Chicago Pizza (deep dish)

2 - Pie in the Sky

2 - Mission Burrito

2 - JAX Grill

2 - Dragon Bowl

2 - Antidote

2 - Hickory Hollow

2 - Someburger

2 - Shade

2 - Teotihuacan

2 - Chatter’s Café

1 - El Gallo de Jalisco (tacos al pastor)

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Patrenellas (lasagna)

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - Andy’s (“regular” breakfast)

1 - Queen Burger (shakes with stuff in them)

1 - 11th St. Café

1 - Laredo Taqueria

1 - Pizzitola’s

1 - Big Mamou

1 - Candelari’s

1 - Jenni’s Noodle House

1 - Crickets Creamery (coffee, gelato, vegetarian food)

1 - Glass Wall

Recapping, the question is which Heights-area places do you eat at or order from most frequently? And:

(1) "Most frequently" - For this purpose, places at which you eat (or from which you order) at least 12 or more times a year

(2) "Heights area" - For this purpose, let's broadly call it the area bounded by Memorial to the south, 610 to the west and north, and 45 to the east

(3) If a place is new, or somewhere you've just discovered, go ahead and include it if your best guess is that you'll easily eat there at least 12 times in the next 12 months

Cheers, y'all. Pretty interesting stuff! I counted 5+ places I haven't even tried...

Edited by tmariar

I go to El Rey once every couple weeks or more if I'm in town. I love the Cuban with the fried plantains.

Beaver's every once and a while, more when I knew the bartenders- now I just go when I know they have the Real Ale Coffee Porter on tap, which is in the fall.

All this talk about the Heights on here makes me want to wander deeper in. I live off Montrose and West Gray so I'm not far, just never venture that far north. For Star Pizza I go to the one on Shephard, for Berry Hill the one on Montrose. I honestly didn't even realize all that was up there, but I definitely see a bunch on this list I want to try.

Here is our list in no particular order:

1. Chilosos (We eat here every Sunday)

2. Someburger

3. Big Mamou

4. Freebirds

5. Berry Hill

Place i am really looking forward to is: Jus Mac

Edited by Jus Mac

Running tally so far...

7 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos, fish torta)

6 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

5 - Onion Creek

4 - Lola

3 - Stella Sola (brunch)

3 - Star Pizza

3 - Chilosos (breakfast tacos)

3 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

3 - Someburger

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - Pink’s (Mediterranean)

2 - El Tiempo

2 - Pie in the Sky

2 - Mission Burrito

2 - JAX Grill

2 - Dragon Bowl

2 - Antidote

2 - Hickory Hollow

2 - Shade

2 - Teotihuacan

2 - Chatter’s Café

2 - Big Mamou

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - 11th St. Café

1 - Laredo Taqueria

1 - Pizzitola’s

1 - Candelari’s

1 - Jenni’s Noodle House

1 - Crickets Creamery (coffee, gelato, vegetarian food)

1 - Glass Wall

1 - Porch Swing

1 - Boom Boom Room

1 - Cedar Creek

1 - Freebirds

1 - Jus’ Mac

I'm guessing Jus' Mac will be eating at/from Jus' Mac at least 12x!

[side musings: It's a question beyond my skill set, but I think it would be interesting to find out more about what puts certain places on our "most-frequented" lists when they might not make our "best in the area" lists. Convenience obviously plays into it to some extent - places close to us, delivery and drive-thru places. Where we socialize is likely another factor (I think it's behind a number of these). The food has to pretty good, I'm sure, even if it's not the best around (if it's the best around, then it's obvious why we're regulars - I'm more interested in the other places we're regulars). Predictability/consistency helps. Perceived value. Habit. Kid-friendly for those with kids (and kid-light for some people without). Dietary issues/preferences. Can I get a much-needed adult beverage there, in some cases. It's a pretty day, where's a nice patio - that's got to be one. Wanting to support a place because it's local or helped save an historic building or puts forth an ideology we like or something. Knowing the owner/chef/bartender is important to some people. And some people will intentionally become a "regular" at a certain place because being a regular there fits in with a notion they have of where they'd like to say they're a regular (and hey, why not). Maybe I'm over-complicating it, or maybe our reasons are even more complex. Like I said - beyond my skill set. But I'm guessing that many of those factors have a role to play in whether a restaurant is a success b/c, while people raving about your restaurant is great, at the end of the day, what makes most restaurants successful will be those 12x regulars. I think. Am guessing.]

Thanks again for the input! If y'all keep listing, I'll keep tallying.

Recapping, the question is which Heights-area places do you eat at or order from most frequently? And:

(1) "Most frequently" - For this purpose, places at which you eat (or from which you order) at least 12 or more times a year

(2) "Heights area" - For this purpose, let's broadly call it the area bounded by Memorial to the south, 610 to the west and north, and 45 to the east

(3) If a place is new, or somewhere you've just discovered, go ahead and include it if your best guess is that you'll easily eat there at least 12 times in the next 12 months

Nundinis Deli - Best paninis and Italian coldcuts

Teotihuacan - Fajitas

Hickory Hollow - chicken-fried steak

Pink's - quick pizza

House of Mam

Big Mamou - hot roast beef po-boy New Orfeleans Style

Otto's - Barbeque

Biba Greek Pizza Memorial - Gyros

I need to start eating better food

Nundinis Deli - Best paninis and Italian coldcuts

Teotihuacan - Fajitas

Hickory Hollow - chicken-fried steak

Pink's - quick pizza

House of Mam

Big Mamou - hot roast beef po-boy New Orfeleans Style

Otto's - Barbeque

Biba Greek Pizza Memorial - Gyros

I need to start eating better food

hmm....chicken fried steak...Hickory Hollow, only been there a few times, but that reminds me I need to go there for dinner later!

BTW: I do El Rey. twice a week, I get their Fish or fajita tacos. I fell out of love with their shrimp tacos.

The only two Heights places I go 12 times a year would be:

Cricket's - Breakfast

Berryhill- Fish Tacos, margarita, free chips.

I eat/take-out from Jenni's at least once a month. I expect that I will be getting my fix more often.

We really have enjoyed a couple of happy hours at Pagoda. I'm not sure if this will be an ongoing trend.

I can't say that we don't eat out that much. We go to almost all the other Heights places 2-6 times a year, and sometimes, we cross out of the Heights and eat in other parts of the City. It's just so far, though.happy.gif

Running tally so far...

8 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos, fish torta, tacos al pastor, fish tacos, fajita tacos)

7 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

5 - Onion Creek

5 - Lola

3 - Stella Sola (brunch)

3 - Star Pizza

3 - Chilosos (breakfast tacos)

3 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

3 - Someburger

3 - Teotihuacan (fajitas)

3 - Hickory Hollow (chicken-fried steak)

3 - Pink’s (pizza, the Mediterranean)

3 - Big Mamou (hot roast-beef po-boy N.O. style)

3 - JAX Grill

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - El Tiempo

2 - Pie in the Sky

2 - Mission Burrito

2 - Dragon Bowl

2 - Antidote

2 - Shade

2 - Chatter’s Café

2 - Crickets Creamery (coffee, gelato, vegetarian food)

2 - Jenni’s Noodle House

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - 11th St. Café

1 - Laredo Taqueria

1 - Pizzitola’s

1 - Candelari’s

1 - Glass Wall

1 - Porch Swing

1 - Boom Boom Room

1 - Cedar Creek

1 - Freebirds

1 - Jus’ Mac

1 - Nundini (paninis, Italian cold cuts)

1 - House of Mam

1 - Otto’s (BBQ)

1 - Bibas Greek Pizza (gyros)

1 - Zoe’s Kitchen

Thanks all!

Edited by tmariar

Went to Pie in the Sky for the first time earlier this week, and I can foresee it becoming a regular destination. Apparently most of their business so far is the breakfast crowd; we got dinner to go and there was practically no one else there, but then again we tend to be late diners and the Heights tends to roll up the streets early, especially during the week.

Given the name of the place, I had to get a slice of pie, and it was damn good. I ate it right before going to bed around midnight, which in retrospect may have been ill-advised, but it didn't seem to affect my ability to go out like a light as soon as I hit the sheets.

• 3 months later...

Where can I get a good muffaletta around here (for less than $9.50 so not Big Mamou - self proclaimed cheap bastard)??? I've got a wicked hankerin for one and we're not going back to Baton Rouge for at least a month.

if you go to big mamou....why are you asking the question?

if you go to big mamou....why are you asking the question?

We went there once and haven't been back - maybe I phrased the question wrong due to scotch intake. I checked Big Mamou's website and their muffaletta is $9.50, and I think that's too much so I'm not going there.

We went there once and haven't been back - maybe I phrased the question wrong due to scotch intake. I checked Big Mamou's website and their muffaletta is $9.50, and I think that's too much so I'm not going there.

so you went there and found it expensive?? to be honest, their food is mediocre. don't waste your money

I think the best I've had in town is at Spec's deli downtown; also had good ones at Candelari's and District 7 Grill. I don't remember the prices though and I just get a half one - I can't eat a full sized one. District 7 is probably going to be the most expensive.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm not from LA and have never had one in NOLA so of course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

El Bolillo fits the bakery bill, although I would like more yeast breads and croissants in the area.

so it doesn't fit he bill. and the taco place sure doesn't either. kind of embarassing that Heights residents support them so much. seems no sense is involved.

Edited by musicman

Where can I get a good muffaletta around here (for less than $9.50 so not Big Mamou - self proclaimed cheap bastard)??? I've got a wicked hankerin for one and we're not going back to Baton Rouge for at least a month.

Nundini on Shepherd sells awesome muffaletta bread and their muffaletta sandwich (about $7) is pretty good. I liked Carter and Cooleys muffaletta but you have to ignore the employee who tells you to put jalapenos on it. He's an LSU grad who has been in Texas too long!

(I'm also from BR)

• Like 1

A lot has certainly changed since this thread first started.

I thought this thread was new at first and then found it fascinating to see how dining options have changed in the past few years. Now I wish I went to Jazzy's Cafe before they closed... shame.

I'd still cast a strong vote of desire for a good local Indian place. I've spoken with a number of people recently who asked me if there was one in the Heights.

Being new to the area, this is so helpful! We've been to some of these places (Jax, Berryhill, Teothihuacan , Pie in the Sky, Spanish Flower, Hickory Hollow, Chicago Pizza) and I can't wait to try all of the other places on your lists that we haven't been too yet. Now that I know Empire Seafood serves chinese food and not just seafood, I think that will be at the top of my list. I've been craving Wonton soup and didn't know where to go!

Being new to the area, this is so helpful! We've been to some of these places (Jax, Berryhill, Teothihuacan , Pie in the Sky, Spanish Flower, Hickory Hollow, Chicago Pizza) and I can't wait to try all of the other places on your lists that we haven't been too yet. Now that I know Empire Seafood serves chinese food and not just seafood, I think that will be at the top of my list. I've been craving Wonton soup and didn't know where to go!

Try the Wonton soup @ Les Givral's cafe (Vietnamese restaurant). It is good :) , and reasonably priced at ~$7.

Went to the Washington Av. location on the weekend.

Does anyone know what is up with 'Whats Up Cupcake'? I've been by the lot at 14th and Shepherd the past two nights around 7 PM and nothing there. On their website they list their hours in two separate places and they conflict, but both said they would be there on Tuesday evenings. Have they moved or gone out of business?

Does anyone have the scoop for We Heart Massage on White Oak in the old Sew Crafty location? I'm not exactly sure what a massage co-op is, but the thought of walking two blocks to grab a massage sounds a-ok to me, especially if the prices are good.