The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

El Bolillo is a 3 minute walk for me, so I guess that is a subjective matter. I will suggest Don to open a chocolate shop in the Heights. I wish he would. I am so sad to hear that Saturday was his last night. He put alot into that place. If I find out the reason for his closing, I will post it. It may have just been so he could have a life again. It was pretty all consuming for him.

if dacapo's can survive with their hours, surely he can make something work! :P

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any comments or opinions on Dessert Shoppe on 19th street ? What about Whats up Cupcake ? located corner of 14th street and Sheperd street empty lot ?

It would be nice if the Heights had a great selection of ice cream,pies,cakes ,or homemade sweet desserts.

dessert shoppe is on my list of To-Dos for the week. heights kids group moms have had good things to say.

the heights does have a nice selection of sweets: MAMs (opening again in March), gelato at Crickets; Antidote has great sweets, many made by Jennifer Diaz of Porchswing Desserts, DaCapos, El Bollio... There is a Marble Slab accessible by the bike trail down by Target. Then you have all the new stuff: Dessert Shoppe, Pie In The Sky Pie Company (opening soon), Melange Creperie (mobile until- often sets up in front of Hello, Lucky), What's Up Cupcake, and rumored Happy Fatz to open on White Oak. That's a lot of treats in a couple square miles

Edited by heights_yankee

Any comments or opinions on Dessert Shoppe on 19th street ? What about Whats up Cupcake ? located corner of 14th street and Sheperd street empty lot ?

It would be nice if the Heights had a great selection of ice cream,pies,cakes ,or homemade sweet desserts.

I have heard good reports on Dessert Shoppe which is in its soft opening. There is a dessert shop of some sort opening on White Oak but that may be a ways off. Pie in the Sky on 19th has a help wanted sign out, so they should be pretty close to opening.

dessert shoppe is on my list of To-Dos for the week. heights kids group moms have had good things to say.

the heights does have a nice selection of sweets: MAMs (opening again in March), gelato at Crickets; Antidote has great sweets, many made by Jennifer Diaz of Porchswing Desserts, DaCapos, El Bollio... There is a Marble Slab accessible by the bike trail down by Target. Then you have all the new stuff: Dessert Shoppe, Pie In The Sky Pie Company (opening soon), Melange Creperie (mobile until- often sets up in front of Hello, Lucky), What's Up Cupcake, and rumored Happy Fatz to open on White Oak. That's a lot of treats in a couple square miles

How have I missed these two? I <3 Pie in the Sky! I saw the article in the paper about What's Up Cupcake, but didn't realize it was so close! :D Thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to hear what Heights-area restaurants y'all eat at (or order from) most frequently, and if you have a standard order there.

To keep us on the same page:

(1) "Most frequently" - For this purpose, places at which you eat (or from which you order) at least 12 or more times a year

(2) "Heights area" - For this purpose, let's broadly call it the area bounded by Memorial to the south, 610 to the west and north, and 45 to the east

(3) If a place is new, or somewhere you've just discovered, go ahead and include it if your best guess is that you'll easily eat there at least 12 times in the next 12 months

I think that the above criteria narrow my list down to just the below places. If there's something I order more often than not, I've listed it also.

- King Biscuit (spicy fries)

- Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

- Pink’s (Mediterranean)

- El Gallo de Jalisco (tacos al pastor)

- El Rey (ceviche)

Anyone else want to share their list? If a number of people respond, I'll keep a running tally.

• Like 2

King Biscuit (because I can walk there and they have great Jazz on Tuesdays). Food is standard, but really good when they get the outdoor grill going.

Empire Seafood/Chinese: everything. This is seriously good food.

Sweet Temptation: everything. FANTASTIC Italian for a third the price of the other fancy spots

Patrenellas: lasagna.

Berryhills: easy and wifey likes the fish tacos.

Spanish Flowers: gotta love 24hrs

Chilosos Taco House: seriously, 12x per year, I probably hit this quota in about 2 months.

Carter and Cooley: sandwiches

Stella Sola: so far on par to hit it 12 times

Dacapos: sandwiches and custom cakes

Onion Creek: not so much because the food is good, but I usually need something to offset the pints with friends.

Wow...looking at this I think I have a foodie problem. Actually......its not problem at all.

• Like 1

Berryhill: when the weather is nice- or even veering toward hot- we eat there every Friday night

Lola: every weekend involves at least one meal at Lola, typically lunch after a bike ride

Pie In The Sky: it's new but based on atmosphere and pricing, we'll be there often

Empire Seafood: we don't go but get delivery from them a couple times a month

Dry Creek: again, nice weather means many trips to DC. it's ok for the service to be horrible when the weather is patio perfect.

Antidote: it's not a restaurant but we "eat" breakfast there often and stop by for a drink to go several times a week. it's also late morning snack place when we head out for a day on the bikes.

Chilosos: we would eat here a lot more if my husband had his way. breakfast tacos ONLY

These places I wouldn't say we eat at 12x a year but we go regularly, probably 7-9x annually.

Glasswall: this is our go-to for a nice date night or a quick meal at the bar before a show

Stella Sola: where we want to take all our friends at least once, plus they've added brunch!

Shade: nice family meals. out of town guests.

I really don't consider the Washington strip restaurants part of the Heights. We've had this discussion on this forum but I consider an interstate highway a pretty clear line of demarkation and that area now even has it's own nickname: the corridor. so i do frequent some places down there (El Rey, Max's Wine Dive, Zoe's Kitchen- and Les Girvals once it opens) but I really in good conscience can't add them to my Heights list :rolleyes:

Edited by heights_yankee
  • Like 1

Carter and Cooley - honey ham and brie sandwich

El Rey - Cuban, El Rey, or carnitas tacos

Andy's - the "regular" breakfast (cheap, easy, and convenient at odd hours)

and I have to throw in Queen Burger for their shakes with stuff in them - it's like half ice cream and half whatever "mix-in" you want. The best stomach ache ever!

I miss Mojo Risin on Shepherd - they had a really good breakfast bowl.

okay - I admit - I don't get to the area like I used to so I probably won't be visiting them as much. Take my suggestions for what they are but I understand if they may taint the survey!

Running tally so far...

2 - King Biscuit (spicy fries, outdoor grill)

2 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - Chilosos (breakfast tacos)

2 - Carter and Cooley (sandwiches, honey ham and brie sandwich)

2 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos)

1 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

1 - Pink’s (Mediterranean)

1 - El Gallo de Jalisco (tacos al pastor)

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Patrenellas (lasagna)

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - Stella Sola

1 - Dacapos (sandwiches, custom cakes)

1 - Onion Creek

1 - Lola

1 - Pie in the Sky

1 - Dry Creek

1 - Antidote

1 - Chicago Pizza

1 - Andy’s (“regular” breakfast)

1 - Queen Burger (shakes with stuff in them)

Recapping, the question is which Heights-area places do you eat at or order from most frequently, and:

(1) "Most frequently" - For this purpose, places at which you eat (or from which you order) at least 12 or more times a year

(2) "Heights area" - For this purpose, let's broadly call it the area bounded by Memorial to the south, 610 to the west and north, and 45 to the east

(3) If a place is new, or somewhere you've just discovered, go ahead and include it if your best guess is that you'll easily eat there at least 12 times in the next 12 months

It interests me because, at least in my case, there's a difference between my "favorite" local spots food-wise and where I actually eat or order from regularly. 12x per year was a somewhat arbitrary cut-off, but I figured that would keep most people's lists at about 10 places or under.

If there are more lists to come, I'll keep up the running tally - thanks!

Edited by tmariar

El Rey, definitely. We eat there at least 1x per week. So affordable, varied menu, fresh food. Yum. The ceviche is great!

Onion Creek

Star Pizza

El Tiempo (not sure if it's still in The Heights but we like it)

Stella Sola (excited to try brunch. I've been to meet girl friends for wine and apps.)

Beaver's

Lola's

Haven't been yet but looking forward to:

King Biscuit

Jenni's

JusMac

Pie in the SKy

Shade

Running tally so far...

3 - Onion Creek

3 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos)

3 - Stella Sola (brunch)

3 - Lola

2 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - Dacapos (sandwiches, custom cakes, cakes, pie by slice)

2 - Dry Creek

2 - Star Pizza

2 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

1 - Pink’s (Mediterranean)

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - Pie in the Sky

1 - Antidote

1 - Chicago Pizza

1 - 11th St. Café

1 - El Tiempo

Recapping, the question is which Heights-area places do you eat at or order from most frequently? And:

Thanks for the lists!

Edited by tmariar

Someburger

El Rey

Laredo Taqueria (the one on Washington is within the boundaries laid out, the ones on Cavalcade and Patton just east of 45)

Berryhill

Pink's

Hickory Hollow

I've been to most of the other places already mentioned, but these are the only ones that I can say with anything approaching certainty I've eaten at 12 times a year.

Running tally so far...

6 - El Rey (ceviche, Cuban tacos, El Rey tacos, carnitas tacos, fish torta)

4 - Lola

4 - Berryhill (fish tacos)

3 - Onion Creek

3 - Stella Sola (brunch)

3 - Dacapos (sandwiches, custom cakes, cakes, pie by slice)

2 - Empire Seafood

2 - Dry Creek

2 - Star Pizza

2 - Beaver’s (Nacho Mamma’s oysters)

2 - Pink’s (Mediterranean)

2 - El Tiempo

1 - Sweet Temptation

1 - Spanish Flowers

1 - Pie in the Sky

1 - Antidote

1 - Chicago Pizza

1 - 11th St. Café

1 - Someburger

1 - Laredo Taqueria

1 - Hickory Hollow

1 - Pizzitola’s

1 - Big Mamou

1 - Mission Burrito

1 - JAX Grill

1 - Dragon Bowl

1 - Candelari’s

Recapping, the question is which Heights-area places do you eat at or order from most frequently? And:

Thanks for contributing!

Our list:

Delivery:

Star Pizza

Chatter's Cafe

To go or eat in:

Onion Creek

Pie in the Sky (new but I think we've already been there at least 3 times)

Mission Burrito

Teotihuacan

JAX Grill

Edited by goavs4

Dry Creek (chicken tender salad every time)

Dragon Bowl

Antidote (2x/week)

Jenni's (other locations at least 2x/month)

Crickets (coffee and gelato, great vegetarian food)

Shade (go-to spot for lunch meetings)

Cool thread, thanks for starting it. Is nice to be reminded of places one might not remember otherwise.

Unless it's a date night, it's not easy to take the kids to a nicer place.. Plus the wife and I have been on a diet so it makes it difficult to eat out.. but either way, these are the places we hit often enough to make a list of, but maybe not 12 times a year:

Berryhill

Hickory Hollow

Someburger

Shade

Glass Wall

Tetototoehkawan on Airline.. (sp?)

Oh Yeah: Dry Creek for breakfast.. mmm..

Gotta try still Stella Stola for date night, and Mam's for kids' night.

Edit: Duh

Edited by Zippy