Restaurant Diversity In the Heights

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish her the best of luck, but a couple of things in that article made my eyes roll.     She was on a block with four restaurants. With several others within a couple-hundred feet.

Not enough time to argue about it but still plenty of time to spread your misinformation, I see. Nah, making ironic grievances against the Heights Wal-Mart has become a sort of internet meme, like Pl

Don't worry. The new Walmart development will be filled with "chef driven" restaurants.

Posted Images

On 12/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, Purdueenginerd said:

Anyone been to that new BBQ place across from the washington HEB? Saw there was a line out the door this weekend I might check it out. I'm not super into BBQ, but the spot looked interesting. Good location at least. 

Went over the holidays, and it's quite good, especially given the size of the space and the volume they're doing. They have 5 (I think) large offset smokers in a glass-walled smokehouse next to the serving line. Brisket, pork, ribs and turkey were all very good, sides are decent, and the dining room is clean and pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, s3mh said:

Former La Paz day spa location at 1401 Heights Blvd has a COA with HAHC for a restaurant.  No further details.  Looks like it may include the convenience store.  

Elevations filed with HAHC show a Thai restaurant called NAHATHAI THAI RESTAURANT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening to all!

I don't know if there is a thread regarding this property, so please forgive me if this isn't the right thread for this:

Another whiskey bar is on the way to the Heights. Permission Whiskey & Service is landing at 2920 White Oak Dr. It's from a former manager of Federal Grill. It's also one of several new food+beverage concepts opening on White Oak Drive next year.

I shared this on Twitter in November, but didn't find a reference about it on HAIF.

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/1196840120072228865

• Thanks 1

2920 is the address of the Lucky Food Store. 

There was at some point a restaurant concept that would have occupied the rear half of that building (I recall a drawing showing a door facing the parking lot just West of the building. Not sure if the whiskey bar will take over the whole building or just the rear half.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, s3mh said:

Katz’s Deli coming to the Mainland Autosales building.  They better keep the Art Guys statues.  

Mainland Autosales moved out.  Demo work going on right now on the property to get ready for the Katz's development.  The Art Guys statues are gone.  

6 hours ago, s3mh said:

Mainland Autosales moved out.  Demo work going on right now on the property to get ready for the Katz's development.  The Art Guys statues are gone.  

The Art Guys moved to Mainland's new location on Airline 

11 hours ago, s3mh said:

I wish her the best of luck, but a couple of things in that article made my eyes roll.

“I’m so sick of Midtown,” Masson says. “The biggest issue is parking. Even though there is a humongous parking garage behind the bakery, no one knows it’s there. No one takes the time to look for it. They drive by, they don’t see a parking spot, they don’t pull over.”

She was on a block with four restaurants. With several others within a couple-hundred feet. Seems like you oughta be able to sell desserts to some of those people instead of choosing a location where people will have to make a special trip to get to you.

Moving into the middle of a neighborhood will result in one important change. Fluff will open at 7 am with a new line of breakfast goods, including kolaches, cinnamon rolls, and, most importantly, Masson’s signature croissants — previously only available occasionally as part of her Saturday morning bake sale pop-ups. 

There are HUNDREDS of apartments literally RIGHT ON TOP of the Midtown location. Do these people not eat breakfast?

I suspect the real story is that Post increased the rent, so she decided to move, because the actual reasoning makes zero sense.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Angostura said:

I wish her the best of luck, but a couple of things in that article made my eyes roll.

She was on a block with four restaurants. With several others within a couple-hundred feet. Seems like you oughta be able to sell desserts to some of those people instead of choosing a location where people will have to make a special trip to get to you.

There are HUNDREDS of apartments literally RIGHT ON TOP of the Midtown location. Do these people not eat breakfast?

I suspect the real story is that Post increased the rent, so she decided to move, because the actual reasoning makes zero sense.

The space she was in was too small to be anything more than a mere storefront for her bakery business.  And midtown is much more of a sleep in/brunch neighborhood with very few families.  And, yes, there are apartments above, but there is also Cocos, Minutti and Cafe Poetes nearby selling similar treats with ample seating. 

It is a no brainer to pick the Heights over midtown if you want to expand out into breakfast and coffee.  And it is easier to sell sugar and carbs to an older crowd than to young single people who are all on Keto, caveman or whatever diet that eschews carbs.  And there are 2000 multifamily units under development in the Heights.  The only question I have for Fluff is why did they leave the Heights to go to midtown in the first place?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Katz-s-Deli-to-open-in-the-Heights-in-fall-2020-15031794.php#item-85307-tbla-10

Renderings for Katz's.  Michael Hsu seems to now be the architect in residence for the Heights.  

Convenient, I guess. The firm's Houston office is only a few blocks from the site.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, Angostura said:

Masson replied to a facebook post about this. Turns out...

The landlord sent renewal papers to me with a number that I laughed at, $65/sq foot. Seriously, that's a lot of freaking cookies to bake. So, with that I set out looking for a new location.

...though there were issues besides rent (and parking):

Being part of a mixed use building also comes with it's own set of issues. We have had major flooding due to apartment tenants (try being closed for 3 months because water rained down from the 3rd floor for 3 hours.). We suffered major plumbing damage because the next door tenant let his grease trap erode away and destroying the plumbing to me and the restaurant on the corner. All of this happening and the landlord throwing up his hands and saying "it's not our fault, figure it out and oh, where's our rent." Top that off with paying double digit triple nets for horrible security and non-existent maintenance of common areas. Lastly, I am tired of being broken into (which I know won't change when I move) and having homeless guys (with actual crack pipes in their hands) walking into my bakery, stealing tips and digging through the garbage.

8 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/3/5/21166526/hoke-poke-heights-open

New poke bowl restaurant.  I believe it is in the space where Mams and then Taco la Marco was.  

It is indeed in that location. I just saw a tweet about the opening earlier today. Wasn't aware it was going to be a poke bowl place but had been wondering when something else would be opening there after signs of another buildout.

Hopefully they will have more success than the previous tenants - seems like Mam's lost something when they moved from their original little trailer parked at 20th and Rutland, and La Macro seemed to still be operating out of their truck on the premises, with some sort of licuado/smoothie place utilizing the indoor space.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Angostura said:

Saw a rumor that MF Sushi will move into the spot on White Oak being vacated by Barnaby's.

For those of you who enjoy consuming their mass quantities, Barnaby's is moving to the spot where Pi Pizza used to be.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, s3mh said:

For those of you who enjoy consuming their mass quantities, Barnaby's is moving to the spot where Pi Pizza used to be.

Oh no wonder. We couldn't tell if it was because of Covid-19 or not.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:33 AM, s3mh said:

The old Lee’s Fried Chicken building is turning into a Common Bond take out concept.  

Unfortunately, every concept is now a take out concept.  

IIRC, since the acquisition CB's baked goods are now done from a central commissary, so this should be a relatively easy concept to replicate, especially if they can lock in attractive lease terms.

• Like 3

Asbestos remediation going on at the old Blue Line Bike Lab location that Agricole bought.  Never heard anything about what they were going to do over there, but it looks like they are getting started on something.

• Like 2
On 4/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, s3mh said:

The old Lee’s Fried Chicken building is turning into a Common Bond take out concept.  

49790996403_ef69cb149f_h.jpg

Common Bond Heights Blvd by Marc longoria, on Flickr

49791853387_8a67800c27_h.jpg

Common Bond Heights Blvd by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Thai food shopping center also got a repaint

49790996978_b9af582a9b_h.jpg

Thai Food redo by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Triton said:

a farmer's market?

Yes and no.  It is all local fruits and veggies, but Central City Coop is the vendor instead of having a bunch of individual farm stands.  They also have coffee and other treats.  Haven't been in yet, but it looks nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Monkey-s-Tail-open-new-bar-Petrol-Station-Houston-15454856.php?cmpid=hpctp

New life for Petrol Station location.  I would presume that they will be permitted as a restaurant so they do not have to worry about getting shut down due to the virus.  I would generally think that opening a new bar or restaurant right now would be insane unless you are prepared to go take out until their is a vaccine.  But the Petrol Station property is huge and has lots of room for outdoor dining/drinking, which seems to be significantly safer than indoor service.  So, maybe this is a restaurant/bar that is ready for a "new normal".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

https://houston.eater.com/2020/8/17/21371920/original-hot-dog-factory-opening-houston-september-2020-dennis-mckinley-real-housewives-of-atlanta

Atlanta’s Wildly Popular Original Hot Dog Factory Is Ready to Open in Houston

The restaurant, made famous on the Real Housewives of Atlanta, will make its H-Town debut in September

by Amy McCarthy  Aug 17, 2020, 9:00am CDT

The Original Hot Dog Factory, an Atlanta-based chain that’s known for its creatively topped hot dogs and its owner’s infamous turn on reality television, is just about ready to open its doors in Houston.

The restaurant will make its Houston debut on Friday, September 4 at 920 Studemont Street, Suite 300. As previously reported by Eater, the restaurant is the brainchild of Dennis McKinley, a club promoter that’s also had his tumultuous relationship with reality TV star Porsha Williams chronicled on the Bravo series the Real Housewives of Atlanta over the past several seasons. McKinley probably won’t be at the Houston outpost much, considering that it will be operated by local franchisees Juanita and Bridgette Sharkey. 

Outside of the reality TV drama, the Original Hot Dog Factory is a seriously popular spot in Atlanta, thanks to creatively topped dogs like the L.A. Dog, which involves a bacon-wrapped frank that’s piled high with chili-cheese fries and grilled onions. More classic hot dogs, like the Detroit-style coney, are also on the menu, along with wings, grilled chicken sandwiches, burgers, and corn dogs.

E4bn5hP.jpg

W31eyI6.png

L1RTLWT.png

A new restaurant is bringing traditional Mexican street style tacos to The Heights.

The Taco Stand from the team behind The Burger Joint, chef Matthew Pak and Shawn Bermudez, will launch at 2018 N. Shepherd Dr. this fall, according to a Friday release.Offerings will include pastor, barbacoa, lengua, carnitas and vegan tacos, all served with onions and cilantro on house-made corn and flour tortillas.The Taco Stand will also serve breakfast tacos and frozen margaritas.

Chef Pak traveled to Mexico City and Los Angeles to research the menu. “I love the culture (of Mexico), and traditional Mexican cuisine is my favorite food,” he said in the release.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Burger-Joint-owners-to-open-The-Taco-Stand-15505698.php?cmpid=hpctp

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I really do not care about this restaurant and this is more Heights adjacent than I usually like to post.  I just want to vent at how old this makes me feel.  The music and culture I grew up with has now become restaurant kitsch.  Not that Duran Duran was great art (Devo was), but I never thought that the 80s were so iconic that we would be doing stuff like this.  

https://www.chron.com/food/article/80s-themed-Hungry-Like-the-Wolf-diner-heading-to-15650378.php

• Like 1

80's as kitsch has been a thing for a while now, and I don't think I can imagine decade *more* iconic. Or at least aesthetically ...aggressive.

I'm kinda disappointed to see a new place going in to that strip mall though. I'd prefer to live in hope that its days are numbered. 

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

I really do not care about this restaurant and this is more Heights adjacent than I usually like to post.  I just want to vent at how old this makes me feel.  The music and culture I grew up with has now become restaurant kitsch.  Not that Duran Duran was great art (Devo was), but I never thought that the 80s were so iconic that we would be doing stuff like this.  

https://www.chron.com/food/article/80s-themed-Hungry-Like-the-Wolf-diner-heading-to-15650378.php

I made that realization when 95.7 "The Spot" came on the air playing 80's music and our old oldies station (107.5?) changed formats.  80's music is the new "oldies".  Welcome to middle age...

Listening to Culture Club's Karma Chameleon on 95.7 while i'm writing this.  :)

Edited by august948
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, s3mh said:

Vietnam Restaurant has closed.  New venture going in under the business entity Grand Heights, LLC.  Judging from the folks behind the LLC, I would guess that it will be more bar oriented, but that is just a guess.  

The principals appear to be the same team behind Tikila's on Shepherd. 

Roast & Brew is a new coffee shop which opened along 19th St. I couldn't find anything about it on here, but it is a brand new building.

Also, Velvet Taco is opening up a location in 2 weeks on the corner of 20th and Sheperd. That is across the street from the Taco Stand which should be opening soon as well, which was mentioned above.