The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

I've used my bike/feet to get to tons of places since I moved back. Granted, I don't do it in the heat of the summer unless we're day drinking outside and I'm going to be sweating regardless.

If you're pounding back drinks outdoors in the summer heat, then you probably should walk home.

I guess when your riding a tandem after drinking it does not matter who the designated pedaler is.

Here's the deal; just because you don't do something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

I am typing this as I wait for my date to get ready. We're going to walk to dinner tonight.

I've used my bike/feet to get to tons of places since I moved back. Granted, I don't do it in the heat of the summer unless we're day drinking outside and I'm going to be sweating regardless.

I walk to Collinas on 19th from 11th along Nicholson all the time...every time of the year.  Its nice in the evening and I get a Menchi's to go on the way home.  Its a weekly event in my house - the kids love it and I dont have to park.  But at the same time - Collina's is a responsible neighbor - their parking lot does not spill into the neighborhood.  Nobody complains about Collina's being a good neighbor.  At least I have not heard of it.

I skateboard everywhere in this city.  As long as they have a patio or outdoor seating its all good.  Moon Tower is a nice easy destination while on a board (or bike).  Heck I skated to juice box one time (awesome fruit w/ shaved ice and condensed milk place) over in chinatown (bellair and beltway 8).  There is no doubt that this city is already getting more bikeable... and the more trails they build the better and more used it will get (though cars will always be most peoples choice).  I really enjoy using my board to go to the bar though.  Skating after a drink or 7 is a way better option than driving.

• Like 2

I skateboard everywhere in this city. As long as they have a patio or outdoor seating its all good. Moon Tower is a nice easy destination while on a board (or bike). Heck I skated to juice box one time (awesome fruit w/ shaved ice and condensed milk place) over in chinatown (bellair and beltway 8). There is no doubt that this city is already getting more bikeable... and the more trails they build the better and more used it will get (though cars will always be most peoples choice). I really enjoy using my board to go to the bar though. Skating after a drink or 7 is a way better option than driving.

My hats off to you. Given the condition of the city streets and my age-related center of gravity shift I would end up being a member of the "Broken" Bones Brigade.

My hats off to you. Given the condition of the city streets and my age-related center of gravity shift I would end up being a member of the "Broken" Bones Brigade.

off topic**

The technology behind skateboards has actually made a huge difference.  Longboards take advantage of this the most (they use bigger wheels) because the biggest advantage nowadays is the advancements in urethane.  New skateboard wheels are made from urethane that is much softer than wheels of old... but at the same time they do not wear out quickly.  My go to board for long treks has very soft 75mm wheels... skateboards of the old days normally had 45-55mm wheels that were hard as rocks.  The big soft wheels allow you to run over sticks, cracks, pinecones, and etc. while also maintaining a longer wheel roll. 

sorta on topic**

I suspect over the next few years we will see more people using longboards to get to local businesses.  This is part of why I think it would benefit any new restaurant to ensure they have good outdoor seating available, if your already a little hot/sweaty from biking/skating/walking to the restaurant you probably won't mind (or would prefer) sitting outside (provided there is shade and fans).  BB's, Onion/Cedar/Dry Creek, Shepard Park, Cottonwood, Jus' Mac are just a few examples of the types of places that would fit that criteria.

on topic**

I'm curious of opening timelines for the brewery on Calvacade, Torcy's, Height General Store, TexMex place going in at white oak and studewood, Ruggles.

Coltivare is seeking a parking variance tomorrow from the planning commission. Long story short, they want to use the parking spaces along the warehouse next door and keep the greenspace next to the building as a garden. The City is stuck on ROW issues again and thinks that the pull in parking spaces along the warehouse should not be used because they do not clear the ROW. Please email the planner Dipti.Mathur@houstontx.gov, and the planning commission pd.planning@houstontx.gov, Marlene.Gafrick@houstontx.gov to voice your support for the variance. If they do not get the variance, they will have to use the greenspace/garden as a parking lot. The parking crush along White Oak is far enough away from this location that there is no reason to be militant on parking for this restaurant.

For once, I kind of agree. Check out these cars blocking the implied sidewalk. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3320+White+Oak,+Houston,+TX&ll=29.781527,-95.394147&spn=0.001286,0.001206&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&hnear=3320+White+Oak+Dr,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77007&gl=us&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.781527,-95.394147&panoid=SL_1MTY8aGs1GCqG9BOv8Q&cbp=12,299.74,,0,6.11

Imagining every space full, getting down the sidewalk would be pretty tough.

I personally think street parking all the cars should be fine, but that's considered anathema to Houston's parking planners, so in that context, I'm agreeing with their opinion.

off topic**

The technology behind skateboards has actually made a huge difference.  Longboards take advantage of this the most (they use bigger wheels) because the biggest advantage nowadays is the advancements in urethane.  New skateboard wheels are made from urethane that is much softer than wheels of old... but at the same time they do not wear out quickly.  My go to board for long treks has very soft 75mm wheels... skateboards of the old days normally had 45-55mm wheels that were hard as rocks.  The big soft wheels allow you to run over sticks, cracks, pinecones, and etc. while also maintaining a longer wheel roll. 

Long boards are nothing new.  We had those in the 70s.  Santa Cruz, Sims, etc.  The small wheels was a 90s-00s thing.  Dumb kids.  Kryptonics made 60, 65, and 70mm wheels in the 70s. Orange were soft, blue medium and green hard. 

For once, I kind of agree. Check out these cars blocking the implied sidewalk. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3320+White+Oak,+Houston,+TX&ll=29.781527,-95.394147&spn=0.001286,0.001206&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&hnear=3320+White+Oak+Dr,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77007&gl=us&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.781527,-95.394147&panoid=SL_1MTY8aGs1GCqG9BOv8Q&cbp=12,299.74,,0,6.11

Imagining every space full, getting down the sidewalk would be pretty tough.

I personally think street parking all the cars should be fine, but that's considered anathema to Houston's parking planners, so in that context, I'm agreeing with their opinion.

No, there is no problem with pedestrian access. Whoever built the warehouse built a sidewalk along the building. Unless you are incapable of making a 90 degree turn, you will not have any trouble walking by while people are parked in the parking spaces.

This is just the City literally saying "we allowed someone to build these parking spaces in the right of way, but now we won't let you count those parking spaces to meet your parking requirement."

on topic**

I'm curious of opening timelines for the brewery on Calvacade, Torcy's, Height General Store, TexMex place going in at white oak and studewood, Ruggles.

Town-in-City (Cavalcade) is requesting a setback variance (15-ft instead of 25), and the current planning commission agenda indicates it will be deferred a 2nd time this week, so it won't see approval before the end of this month.

The eastern half of the old Harold's building (HGS) looks to have made significant progress on the demo, but signs of actual construction are not apparent from the outside.

No, there is no problem with pedestrian access. Whoever built the warehouse built a sidewalk along the building. Unless you are incapable of making a 90 degree turn, you will not have any trouble walking by while people are parked in the parking spaces.

This is just the City literally saying "we allowed someone to build these parking spaces in the right of way, but now we won't let you count those parking spaces to meet your parking requirement."

Why isn't the sidewalk on the right of way? Supposing I want to protest the warehouse (not that I ever would, but just supposing) would I be trespassing if I were on the sidewalk, their property?

Why isn't the sidewalk on the right of way? Supposing I want to protest the warehouse (not that I ever would, but just supposing) would I be trespassing if I were on the sidewalk, their property?

Ask the City. They permitted it long ago. If this really mattered to the City, why haven't they cited the property owner and forced them to fix the sidewalk? The fact of the matter is that without the variance, they are not going to be able to have a nice garden, people will still park in those spots along the warehouse when the surface lot is full and the sidewalk will still be along the building. If you think that is a good thing for the neighborhood and a reasonable way to treat a small business owner who has added a lot of value to the Heights with Revival Market, then that is unfortunate. But, everyone else wants to see a nice garden and not a parking lot next to this restaurant and sees that the City is being unreasonable in refusing to count parking spaces that the City has already approved as parking spaces and failed to enforce the right of way.

Town-in-City (Cavalcade) is requesting a setback variance (15-ft instead of 25), and the current planning commission agenda indicates it will be deferred a 2nd time this week, so it won't see approval before the end of this month.

Thanks to pressure from the community, the City and Town in City have made peace on the variance issue. The deferral is to give Town in City time to have their architect finalize a compromise plan that the City will support for the 15 ft variance.

I just don't think doubling down on a prior mistake is a good idea. Coltivare knew the city's parking requirements before (8 spaces per 1000 sf), which have also now been relaxed by 10% if Coltivare installs some bike parking.

Edited by kylejack

I just don't think doubling down on a prior mistake is a good idea. Coltivare knew the city's parking requirements before (8 spaces per 1000 sf), which have also now been relaxed by 10% if Coltivare installs some bike parking.

wow.  you'd think they could some how use the revival parking during peak dinner hours (say 7pm on ) or so. 

I am amazed that sidewalk access is an issue.  I have seen some of the most bizarre start\stop sidewalks or sidewalks with utility poles crossing through them all over town.  Am amazed that there is anybody looking at that stuff at all.

Oh, I agree with that entirely. There are light poles dead center on sidewalks in the East End where utility realignment has already occurred for the rail. I've seen several that don't seem ADA compliant to me. The city (or Metro?) is risking a lawsuit, I think.

Long boards are nothing new.  We had those in the 70s.  Santa Cruz, Sims, etc.  The small wheels was a 90s-00s thing.  Dumb kids.  Kryptonics made 60, 65, and 70mm wheels in the 70s. Orange were soft, blue medium and green hard. 

it's the actual formula used in pouring the urethane that is dramitically different.  There is no comparison to old wheels, they are completely inferior. 

Wheels were made of clay at one point. 

Of course longboards aren't new, but comparing old ones to new  (like foam core wrapped in carbon fiber) is comparing apples to hand grenades.

I was skating around yesterday and decided to go to happy fatz... forgetting they were closed on tuesday I was crushed! 

Also, not sure if many of you knew Art from Stanton's City Bites, he recently passed away and the heights area restaurant scene has truly lost a great person.

I encourage everyone to go there and get a big burger in the near future, they are now open on sundays!

Edited by SilverJK

There is no doubling down. People who work in the warehouse currently park there and people going to the new restaurant will park there regardless of whether the variance is granted. If the City decides to improve the sidewalks along White Oak (don't hold your breath), they will be able to build across the parking spaces and Coltivare will have to find another lot or get rid of the garden. If someone redevelops the warehouse, the City will require them to build a sidewalk across the parking spaces and Coltivare will have to find replacement parking. But, the only difference between granting the variance and not granting it is a garden v. a parking lot. Building a parking lot will be a major expense for the owners as they will have to dig out a sewer connection for the drainage. Of course, they knew that parking was an issue when they bought it, but that doesn't mean the City should deny a variance in order to enforce a right of way requirement that they have never enforced. But, kicking a small business owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance is the kind of thing that keeps people from redeveloping the Heights.

Edited by s3mh

But, kicking a small business (or home) owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance is the kind of thing that keeps people from redeveloping the Heights.

Glad you are starting to notice. When you begin opposing these nut-crushing ordinances we'll really be making progress.

Yeah, be careful s3mh, you're starting to sound like a Historic District opponent.

Sorry. Not taking the bait. Every thread ends up about the historic districts. It is old. And this is apples to oranges.

For those who are not obsessed with arguing about the historic districts, the City has agreed to defer the application to do further study to formulate the staff's recommendation. They will go back before the planning commission on March 28. I hope the Coltivare folks start lobbying the City and the planning commission members heavily. The City planning staff likes to hold their recommendation off until the day before the meeting, making it impossible to lobby the planning commission members to go against the planning commission. With enough time to lobby, you can get the PC to go against the staff (as they did with the new Audi store on Greenbrier and SW Freeway feeder). Hopefully, the City staff will get this worked out and support the variance.

Here is the email appeal sent around to those on the Revival Market email list:

COLTIVARE NEEDS

YOUR HELP!

The Plea:

As many of you know, we are in the process of opening Coltivare, our interpretation of an Italian-inspired, American, neighborhood restaurant, at the corner of White Oak and Arlington Streets.

Undoubtedly, one of the most unique aspects to Coltivare, is the potential to have a 3,000 square foot, fully-functioning vegetable garden, directly to the East of our building.

From day one, we envisioned the green space as having the potential to become that, but knew we faced a few hurdles with the City of Houston, fulfilling our parking code requirement. We didn't let ourselves get our hopes up just yet.

Many of you have probably noticed a lot of "not much" going on with the construction process. This is because we've been going through the variance process with the City of Houston Planning Department.

The variance that we are seeking is one allowing us to utilize parking lots that we have leased adjacent to Coltivare, as spaces to count towards our code requirement.

Across Arlington Street on the North side of White Oak, sits a warehouse space that has been in existence since 1938, best we can tell. Dating back to the 50's, via Google satellite images, those same spaces have been used for parking. They are used for parking today as they will continue to be used for parking tomorrow. Over the last 80 years, as White Oak's right-of-way has widened, it has slowly encroached on the depth of these spaces. They sit between 15'-16' deep now. The City likes 19'. However, there is another 13' from the back of the spaces to the actual street, leaving plenty of room to maneuver safely. These spaces are already legally being used by the warehouse during they day; we simply want to use them at night.

These spaces are what we are trying to get the Planning Commission to approve regarding our variance. Spaces that are already in existence and being used for parking.

We have historically had a very good relationship with the Planning Commission and do not envy their jobs. Given everything that is thrown at them, they do a phenomenal job keeping the City moving in the right direction. The idea of turning existing green-space into another parking lot does seem counter intuitive to Mayor Parker's green initiatives though.

Regarding our variance, they have afforded the Heights community an opportunity to voice your support in their approving our parking plan.

In a perfect world, we would love for you to inundate their emails with a quick note saying you support our variance to utilize existing parking, rather than turn one of the few green-spaces the community has, into another ugly parking lot.

Contact Planner Dipti Mathur Dipti.Mathur@houstontx.gov

Dipti has been graciously reading through all of these emails, but she needs to hear from you.

Also wouldn't hurt to cc:

pd.planning@houstontx.gov

Marlene.Gafrick@houstontx.gov

We also would like to invite you to the Planning Commission hearing, March 28th, at 2:30pm, to verbally support the variance. We will send a follow up email as that date approaches, with more details.

Thank you all in advance for your support. We at Coltivare look very forward to serving you for years to come, and cannot imagine doing this in another neighborhood in Houston. The Heights is our home too.

Best Regards,

Morgan Weber & Ryan Pera

Owners, Revival Market & Coltivare Houston

Edited by s3mh

I think I will oppose this change. People will never understand the problem of giving city government power if we keep asking for variances. It would be best for the neighborhood if Coltivaire is forced to play by the same rules the homeowners do.

How rich. You are completely whipsawed by this, but won't admit it. You would normally rail against the City for taking this kind of position but know that doing so would align you with my position. I guess you are then going to admit that you were wrong about the variances sought for the condo tower on E 5th and Fraiser and for the Trammel Crow project on Yale and 6th? And you will run down to the Planning Commission to oppose the variance sought for the setback for the new construction on Tulane and 11th? Without it, they will probably be forced to build only 5 of 6 planned homes and lose out on a $500k+ sale. They should play by the same rules as everyone else, right? (even as much as I do not like that development, I will readily admit that they should get the variance as the new setback is inappropriate for that project and the immediate area). And you will also get down their asap to call out the City for supporting the variance for Town in City's brewery and tasting room on Cavalcade? Rules are rules.

Thanks to pressure from the community, the City and Town in City have made peace on the variance issue. The deferral is to give Town in City time to have their architect finalize a compromise plan that the City will support for the 15 ft variance.

According to the planning commission's twitter account, variance was granted this afternoon.

I think I will oppose this change. People will never understand the problem of giving city government power if we keep asking for variances. It would be best for the neighborhood if Coltivaire is forced to play by the same rules the homeowners do.

Since I'm opposed to parking minimums on principle, I'm in favor of any and all variances granting relief from them. I think of it kind of like jury nullification. 

Actually, it is more akin to plea bargaining. Government cannot nullify itself. However, it can bend its rules to favor one group over another. It appears that today the City bent its rules in favor of business, just as it did for the condos down the street, Walmart on Yale, and Kroger on Studewood. I am not terribly whipsawed over this, so long as the sidewalk is kept accessible. In fact, having been a restaurant owner, I would normally favor helping them out. I just want the same benevolence extended toward homeowners, something that my Stockholm Syndrome neighbors seem to oppose.