The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Blocking driveways is illegal and tow trucks are happy to oblige.

But are they considered blocking the driveway when they are just legally parked behind it on a very narrow street?  I have wondered this question for a very long time.  My particular street has ditches (some dont) and the ditch starts at most 6 inches from the white line on the road, so even running off in the grass is not feasible. 

MOST vehicles can easily navigate in/out of the driveway - but I can not.  The turning radius on my truck is too wide and the driveway, though wide, is not wide enough to turn a truck around in.

That said - I have no restaurants on my street so its only an occasional problem when a neighbor has a party, or there is construction on a house.  I would go out of my mind crazy if a bar/restaurant opened up that did not have enough parking, and the cars going to/from the restaurant made it impossible for me to get in my driveway.  If it happened daily I would be the type to invest in a tow dolly and move the offending parker a block or ten away....Is that considered stealing?

I would go out of my mind crazy if a bar/restaurant opened up that did not have enough parking, and the cars going to/from the restaurant made it impossible for me to get in my driveway.  If it happened daily I would be the type to invest in a tow dolly and move the offending parker a block or ten away....Is that considered stealing?

Why not just park there yourself on the busy days? I had a problem with folks parking in front of my house and blocking the mailbox. When I did't get any mail for a few days I called the Post Office and was told that the mailman doesn't have to deliver the mail if your mailbox is blocked. After that, I started leaving my garbage can at the curb for a while and people got the hint.

I think that some narrow streets either have their street parking suspended entirely, or only allow it on one side of the street. That, or even certain streets that require a resident tag seem fine to me. Better than putting the onus on the businesses.

Why not just park there yourself on the busy days? I had a problem with folks parking in front of my house and blocking the mailbox. When I did't get any mail for a few days I called the Post Office and was told that the mailman doesn't have to deliver the mail if your mailbox is blocked. After that, I started leaving my garbage can at the curb for a while and people got the hint.

I normally don't have a problem, but I have no bar/restaurant on my street....as to me parking there - I don't park on the street ever.  I keep far too much in truck to ever park it on the street overnight in the Heights....the car breaks in are rampant and occur every night.  I have not had my car broken into in my driveway b/c Im behind a gate....all of my non-gated neighbors have had their cars broken into.  All of them.  The guy across from me has had it happen 4 or 5 times since I've lived there.  Opportunity crime is far too prevalent in the area for me to risk the break in...no - I would far rather whine/complain on an anonymous web forum about the 2 or 3 times its ever happened.

But I would go crazy if it happened all the time b/c of a bar or restaurant.  For people who think that parking is not a legitimate complaint for the houses who are near bars are just flat out stupid...nobody tolerates non-residents continually inconveniencing residents...nobody...its not a realistic expectation.  If bars can do it, why not just let Tommie Vaughn park all their super duty inventory up and down neighborhood streets until they sell or get stolen? 

Well, Mark, you could do what others in the Heights do with their ditches...fill it with rock.  It would still serve its water-handling purpose, but also give you a surface you could drive on in a pinch.  Of course, I don't know what that might do to your drainage fee. 

Residents who don't purchase or build adequate parking accommodations at their residence get "inconvenienced" by other people parking on a public street. If they want more parking, let them build it. The public street is paid for by all of us.

Yeah...that's kind of the bottom line. The street is public and anyone can park there unless the city puts in signs or an ordinance (like street parking permits for residents). That's why you might have to physically occupy the space if you want to mitigate the problem.

For people who think that parking is not a legitimate complaint for the houses who are near bars are just flat out stupid...nobody tolerates non-residents continually inconveniencing residents...nobody...its not a realistic expectation.  If bars can do it, why not just let Tommie Vaughn park all their super duty inventory up and down neighborhood streets until they sell or get stolen? 

People can complain about on street parking if they want.  It just doesn’t seem to be brought up when the “right” businesses are opening up around here, and dealing with it is a minor part of living in a city.

In my case, I am betting if a restaurant or gym opens up in the building at 11 ½ and Studewood it will impact parking on the street around my house.  And I am sure that people not wanting to go to River Oaks, City Center or Sugar Land (suburbs, ew!) will park there too when Ruggles Green opens up and brings the suburbs to the Heights. But whatever, I don’t have an issue with people legally parking on the public streets.  But if problems do ensue from it, I’ll pursue remedies to get the COH to manage the city street better. 

BTW the mechanics at Tommy Vaughn park on the street along 12th, blocking two full lanes and forcing my bike into traffic.  Maybe you can stop by and tell them to stop making bikes get in your way? ;)

Residents who don't purchase or build adequate parking accommodations at their residence get "inconvenienced" by other people parking on a public street. If they want more parking, let them build it. The public street is paid for by all of us.

Thats not really the issue here.  I have a driveway that goes 100' front the front of the property to my garage on the rear lot line.  The garage faces the street.  If someone legally parks in the street behind my driveway I can not get out of my driveway b/c the street is too narrow. 

I have enough parking to park 10 cars in my driveway - but it only takes one "legally" parked idiot to block all 10 in.  Do you not see the problem here?  The street is too narrow for trucks to get out of the driveway when people park on the street behind driveways - People parking on the street cant park with 2 wheels off the road and in the grass b/c my street has deep ditches that start not more than 6" from the white line....they would slide in the ditch if they got their wheels off the road....I cant fill the ditch across the street from me b/c I don't own it, and I doubt any neighbor wants to allow me to fill it so cars can park in what used to be his front ditch.

I have tons of parking - and its not a problem for me 99.99% of the time, but if a bar were to open up that expects 100 people a night in 60 cars every night, but only have 15 parking spots - then it could be a huge problem - and I am absolutely going to side with the homeowner when that problem arises....They have a legal right to access their driveway.

Getting locked in your driveway is not a price you pay for "living in the city"

They have a legal right to access their driveway.

If you deliberately purchased a house on a narrow street bordered by ditches that are clearly too steep to allow cars to pull fully over when parking on a public thoroughfare and then try to access your driveway in a vehicle that is clearly too large for the circumstances then whose fault is that?

That's not the price you pay for "living in the city", it's the price you pay for making some lousy decisions.

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

Thats not really the issue here.  I have a driveway that goes 100' front the front of the property to my garage on the rear lot line.  The garage faces the street.  If someone legally parks in the street behind my driveway I can not get out of my driveway b/c the street is too narrow. 

I have enough parking to park 10 cars in my driveway - but it only takes one "legally" parked idiot to block all 10 in.  Do you not see the problem here?  The street is too narrow for trucks to get out of the driveway when people park on the street behind driveways - People parking on the street cant park with 2 wheels off the road and in the grass b/c my street has deep ditches that start not more than 6" from the white line....they would slide in the ditch if they got their wheels off the road....I cant fill the ditch across the street from me b/c I don't own it, and I doubt any neighbor wants to allow me to fill it so cars can park in what used to be his front ditch.

I have tons of parking - and its not a problem for me 99.99% of the time, but if a bar were to open up that expects 100 people a night in 60 cars every night, but only have 15 parking spots - then it could be a huge problem - and I am absolutely going to side with the homeowner when that problem arises....They have a legal right to access their driveway.

Which I addressed:

I think that some narrow streets either have their street parking suspended entirely, or only allow it on one side of the street. That, or even certain streets that require a resident tag seem fine to me. Better than putting the onus on the businesses.

If you deliberately purchased a house on a narrow street bordered by ditches that are clearly too steep to allow cars to pull fully over when parking on a public thoroughfare and then try to access your driveway in a vehicle that is clearly too large for the circumstances then whose fault is that?

That's not the price you pay for "living in the city", it's the price you pay for making some lousy decisions.

When I bought the house the street was narrow - but getting into my driveway was not a problem.  Still isn't a problem.  However, last year the new house across the street from me was completed and he (presumably required by the city) dug the ditch deep....when I bought the house I could have parked in his ditch without a problem as it was only a few inches deep....now, its at least 3' deep - something I am guessing the city requires of new construction as my ditch is also quite deep, and so is the ditch of the only other new construction on my block....everyone else has basically no ditch, or one thats only a few inches deep.

As to the vehicle being too large for the circumstances - nope - its big but its not too big unless something new changes the current circumstances...I have been blocked in my driveway 1 time where I had to get someone to move their truck (concrete pumping truck)...It was an inconvenience - nothing more.  If it was daily I would address the problem...its not....my previous arguments are for people that are actually having to deal with this problem. 

I don't consider any of my choices of house/driveway/street/truck lousy.  Given that Im not rich, and I need a big truck, it was the cheapest thing I could get to commute/work in - I made good decisions that were all based on my current circumstances.  Since I'm moving soon anyway - and there is nothing in the works for bar/resistant anytime soon, I'm not worried about.  The House has appreciated 30+%, the street has improved, the large lot/driveway are an asset, not a liability - so ya - I don't see any lousy decisions on my end - I am merely sympathizing for people who do have to deal with the BS of bar/restaurant parking on their streets... - Its not "the price you pay" to live in the city.  

Houston isnt NY - the Heights was a suburb - its now considered the city - but it was never intended to be a parking lot like NY, and it never should be.  That would truly ruin the attractiveness of the neighborhood.  

Houston's a pedestrian hell because of the commitment to car culture.

Houston is only a pedestrian hell if you belong to the romantised NYC pedestrian mindset that thinks you should be able to walk everywhere. If that is what you desire then you're going to grow old waiting for it to happen here. Move to NYC while you are still young and don't mind the cramped apartment shared by two other room mates.

Most folks here enjoy the autonomy a car gives them, even if that means being stuck in traffic. It's their choice, and they relish having choices.

• Like 1

Houston is only a pedestrian hell if you belong to the romantised NYC pedestrian mindset that thinks you should be able to walk everywhere. If that is what you desire then you're going to grow old waiting for it to happen here. Move to NYC while you are still young and don't mind the cramped apartment shared by two other room mates.

Most folks here enjoy the autonomy a car gives them, even if that means being stuck in traffic. It's their choice, and they relish having choices.

Things are already changing for the better. Passing Council today was a new exemption to the parking requirements allowing businesses to reduce their parking requirements by 10% by trading 1 car space for 4 bike spaces.

• Like 1

Big Mamou had the 3rd best Gumbo on a 1/2 mile stretch of Studewood...  as much as I wanted to love the place (the owners are very nice people) it just never did it for me.  I appreciated the beignets the most... and if they would have been available all the time I would have went a lot more.  Great location, great building, great attitude, the food just wasn't good enough. 

I miss Big Mamou already. Contrary to your thoughts, I always thought their location was a terrible problem. It seemed almost invisible driving past it, the bright lights and traffic of the gas station next door attracted your eyes.  Even worse coming from the north.

I loved their red beans and rice, jambalaya, and a few other items I tried, but started going less and less when their hours started fluctuating. Some of my friends I took there thought the prices were a bit high for what you got. But once they started altering the hours (breakfast/lunch only on some days, Thursday-Sunday lunch only, etc) I figured they were on their last legs. They were nice people, hope they didn't lose too much.

Edited by Scott08

Things are already changing for the better. Passing Council today was a new exemption to the parking requirements allowing businesses to reduce their parking requirements by 10% by trading 1 car space for 4 bike spaces.

More power to businesses who can reduce their required parking space requirements. However reality is going to dictate that the majority of spaces that will be used by actual bike riders will be at hipster bars, coffee shops, yoga studios. (Or staff) You're not going to see a couple taking their tandem to a $$$+ restaurant in July. This just means more cars in neighborhoods.

More power to businesses who can reduce their required parking space requirements. However reality is going to dictate that the majority of spaces that will be used by actual bike riders will be at hipster bars, coffee shops, yoga studios. (Or staff) You're not going to see a couple taking their tandem to a $$$+ restaurant in July. This just means more cars in neighborhoods.

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. Second, while people may not like riding three to four months out of the year, the other eight to nine months are wonderful for riding. Third, one of the most bike friendly cities I have ever visited in North America is Montreal. There are well protected bike lanes that go all over the core urban neighborhoods and longer trails like the Lachine canal that take you out to the suburbs completely protected from cars. For at least three months out of the year, there is so much snow and slush around and it is so cold that people do not ride their bicycles anywhere. But that did not stop them from creating an excellent cycling infrastructure that is essential in the dense urban core neighborhoods where parking is very limited.

Lastly, enough with the hipster crap. This is the Heights not Montrose. I see lots of families out biking in the Heights. I actually prefer taking a bike with my kids to go out to eat because it is easier to lock up a few bikes than to try to find parking on White Oak.

Or put those big rocks between the ditch and the street.

I generally find these rocks to be incredibly offensive. Our neighbor has these blocking on-street parking in the part of their frontage not occupied by driveway.  As a result, theirs cars (or their guests' cars) either pull into the driveway outside the gate, blocking the sidewalk, or park in front of our house.  I realize we don't own the street parking in front of our house, but it's kind of dick move to block parking in front of your own house, and expect it to be available in front of someone else's.

But in the case where there's a legitimate need for an access easement, it's a reasonable solution.

• Like 1

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. 

Lastly, enough with the hipster crap. This is the Heights not Montrose. I see lots of families out biking in the Heights. I actually prefer taking a bike with my kids to go out to eat because it is easier to lock up a few bikes than to try to find parking on White Oak.

This is not entirely correct. The lowest humidity occurs during times of highest temperature, generally early to mid afternoon. However, the evening humidity is generally still lower than in the morning, and after the sun goes down, the temperature drops as well.

Agreed that the Heights is decidedly not hipster, but in many ways Heights residents can be worse. But, I find most inner loop upper income residents to be the same. They want parking for their cars, but don't want parking where they can see it. And, they want to park on your street, but don't want anyone parking on their street. They are very bi-polar in this regard. 

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. Second, while people may not like riding three to four months out of the year, the other eight to nine months are wonderful for riding. Third, one of the most bike friendly cities I have ever visited in North America is Montreal. There are well protected bike lanes that go all over the core urban neighborhoods and longer trails like the Lachine canal that take you out to the suburbs completely protected from cars. For at least three months out of the year, there is so much snow and slush around and it is so cold that people do not ride their bicycles anywhere. But that did not stop them from creating an excellent cycling infrastructure that is essential in the dense urban core neighborhoods where parking is very limited.

Not my intent to hijack, but since I'm Canadian I thought I'd chime in on the bike thing for a quick second. The best trails I've seen are up there.  Vancouver, Calgary, etc and in areas and climates many reading this thread would argue is a waste.  But if Canada can build a 23,000 km coast to coast hike and bike trail, I think Houston can add a few paths in the city and people will use them. http://tctrail.ca/about-the-trail/

Or put those big rocks between the ditch and the street.

I generally find these rocks to be incredibly offensive. Our neighbor has these blocking on-street parking in the part of their frontage not occupied by driveway.  As a result, theirs cars (or their guests' cars) either pull into the driveway outside the gate, blocking the sidewalk, or park in front of our house.  I realize we don't own the street parking in front of our house, but it's kind of dick move to block parking in front of your own house, and expect it to be available in front of someone else's.

But in the case where there's a legitimate need for an access easement, it's a reasonable solution.

You can call 311 and have ROW maintenance remove them or at least fine the homeowners. Putting boulders next to the ditch would be like someone with curb and gutter putting permanent orange cones out.  Another version of this are those people who illegally fill up their ditch with rocks to make an unpermited parking pad and then think that means nobody else can park there. A neighbor of mine once called a tow truck and threw a fit that somebody would have the audacity to park in his parking pad! waaaah!

You can call 311 and have ROW maintenance remove them or at least fine the homeowners. Putting boulders next to the ditch would be like someone with curb and gutter putting permanent orange cones out.  Another version of this are those people who illegally fill up their ditch with rocks to make an unpermited parking pad and then think that means nobody else can park there. A neighbor of mine once called a tow truck and threw a fit that somebody would have the audacity to park in his parking pad! waaaah!

We must live on the same street.  I had an across the street neighbor screaming at the top of his lungs that a pizza delivery person parked in front of his house in the ROW that he put rocks over....the guy was there for maybe 2 minutes to walk to my house and deliver a pizza - literally just long enough to cross the street and hand me a pizza...he was irate...

I don't have any problems at all with street parking (other than I think its ugly) so long as its not inconveniencing others...Really everything were talking about here is a matter of common courtesy....if people used common sense and were polite and courteous things would be fine...problem is that there are not alot of intelligent people...and the ones who are smart enough to know they are causing a problem, are just too selfish to care.  The 1% of us who pay attention to others are usually the ones that are already being inconvenienced.

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant.

It is, which is why I choose my bike, rather than my car to exercise in the evening. If I want to actually go *somewhere* with more dining options (recall the title of this thread) I fire up the internal-combustion engine so I spend the least amount of time commuting to and from the restaurant.

I know that this modern world is painful for those that only use bikes, or envy NYC or DC's metro system, but I value my time and prefer not to bring a change of cloths with me when dining out.

Now, if we're talking drinks only, then skinny jeans, an ironic t-shirt, and vintage 80's Kaepa's are the perfect way of saying eff-you to the man while you ride your fixie to Antidote and then follow it with a growler at the place you've never heard of. When it comes to weaving on the way home, I'm cool with the double standard/benefit cyclists have.

Despite Historic efforts to price the "riff-raff" out the Heights still has hipsters. Hipsters. Hipsters on your front lawns, blocking the alleys, buying up all the cheap beer, having 11pm band practice in the garage apartment they rent from your neighbor, changing their '83 Renault Alliance CV joints on the street. Hipsters.

Here's the deal; just because you don't do something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

I am typing this as I wait for my date to get ready. We're going to walk to dinner tonight.

I've used my bike/feet to get to tons of places since I moved back. Granted, I don't do it in the heat of the summer unless we're day drinking outside and I'm going to be sweating regardless.