The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

I went there Monday to watch the Aggie baseball team whip Florida State. The covered patio portion was interesting, and allowed me to have a smoke with my rum. Lots of large and very clear flat screen TVs. I had no problem watching 2 baseball games and the Stanley Cup at the same time. Lots of unfinished portions to the place. Looks as if they rushed to open. I'll give them a little time to get used to their new surroundings, but the staff was certainly friendly enough.

Went to BB's last week. Looks much like 6th Street did, but food is MUCH better. It will be a plus to the street as well. I'm glad to have some alternatives to Onion Creek, as they have gotten just a bit too full of themselves.

I tried Down House this morning. The sceince theme seemed more like an accent than a theme. However, it was pleasant enough. I had a beakfast taco and latte. The taco was great. The bacon in it was very very good. The latte was OK. My two friends were also very pleased with their meal. The prices were generally reasonable. The exception was the bacon. Although it was great bacon, $6.00 for two strips is a little steep.

Tried Happy Fatz over the weekend. Super cozy place. They have lots of good hot dogs (I had a frito shiner chili dog which was amazing...wifey had something that I can't remember but it was more lady like with fancy cheese and other non manly stuff). Nice selection of teas as well. We had a cheesecake appetizer, but not the sugary cheesecake most of us are familiar with. Its a cheesecake that acts more like a spread for crackers. It was extremely good. Not sure if they're byob, assuming they'd have no problem with that, but bringing a bottle of vino and sitting at a table eating their cheesecake and crackers sounds just about perfect to me. Owners were super nice, we'll definitely be back. Desserts looked awesome, but aforementioned frito shiner chili dog + cheese and crackers filled me up. Menu is primarily hot dogs but look out for their special of the day which for us was a philly, so options are possible for the non dog folks.

Agree with the pro BB's comments on here. Been there more times in the past 2 weeks than I did Mamou in the past year. I hate saying that, given how much I love the Mamou concept, but the food is decidedly moo and twice the price it should be. BB's is a fraction of the cost, larger portions, and better quality. To me at least.

Christians is great too. We took over the inside for Game 7 and as good as the burgers are, I totally love their chicken strips. OC has TOTALLY gotten full of themselves, I'll be more than happy to spend my money at a place that actually has someone come to my table and ask me if I'd like a refill of my beer.

• Like 1

I wanted to love BB's because I've never tried them before and I wanted a good cajun place closer to home. Their fried catfish was wonderful and we tried the appetizer that sounded really disgusting to me (but ended up being terrific). It was the french fries covered in cheese with roast beef and gravy. I would have never tried it if my husband hadn't ordered it but they were really good. The cheese tastes a lot like rotel mixed in but even with a canned product the outcome was good.

I finally tried the gumbo because that makes or breaks it for me. I have to pass on the gumbo. The veggie chunks in it are just not right. Gumbo should have all that stuff in it but it should be cooked down and you shouldn't be eating chunks of it in the gumbo--the only chunks should be the seafood, chicken or sausage. I'll have to keep with the Mardi Gras as the only place in Houston that sells gumbo the way my mom makes it (ordered with an extra cup of rice of course). My whole family is from Louisiana and Mardi Gras is the only place that I've found that makes a gumbo with roux the way I've always eaten gumbo. Too many places make their gumbo in a creole style that I don't care for.

I'm not crazy about Mardi Gras for any of their other food but their gumbo is the tops. If anyone has a suggestion for a better place for gumbo I'd love to try it out.

De

I wanted to love BB's because I've never tried them before and I wanted a good cajun place closer to home. Their fried catfish was wonderful and we tried the appetizer that sounded really disgusting to me (but ended up being terrific). It was the french fries covered in cheese with roast beef and gravy. I would have never tried it if my husband hadn't ordered it but they were really good. The cheese tastes a lot like rotel mixed in but even with a canned product the outcome was good.

I finally tried the gumbo because that makes or breaks it for me. I have to pass on the gumbo. The veggie chunks in it are just not right. Gumbo should have all that stuff in it but it should be cooked down and you shouldn't be eating chunks of it in the gumbo--the only chunks should be the seafood, chicken or sausage. I'll have to keep with the Mardi Gras as the only place in Houston that sells gumbo the way my mom makes it (ordered with an extra cup of rice of course). My whole family is from Louisiana and Mardi Gras is the only place that I've found that makes a gumbo with roux the way I've always eaten gumbo. Too many places make their gumbo in a creole style that I don't care for.

I'm not crazy about Mardi Gras for any of their other food but their gumbo is the tops. If anyone has a suggestion for a better place for gumbo I'd love to try it out.

De

There is too much variation in the way people make gumbo, so I never order it at a restaurant. We make our own because that's how we like it, and I get things that I know others do better than me when we eat out.

Edited by 20thStDad

I find their gumbo to be much like what I grew up with. I would say there should be big chunks of tomatoes and Okra in your gumbo.

Its just like 20thStDad said, gumbo has tons of different variations. My first 23 years on this earth took place in Louisiana, and everyone in my family makes its slightly different.

Went to the 11th St Cafe/Ruggles this weekend for brunch. Food was pretty good, service was mediocre. Slow, kind of disorganized. Our food took a long time to appear. Saw 2 other tables there with friends. Table 1: Didn't get 2 items ordered (bacon and coffee), toast wasn't toasted. Table 2: Left after sitting there for 10-15 minutes and not getting their order taken.

Payment system wasn't great either - they bring the check to you, but then you have to get up and pay at the register. Friends at table 1 said that part took them 10 minutes as well. Our table paid a lot faster.

Valet parking only.

I'll probably give them another shot, but wait a few months for them to work out the kinks. And i'll park nearby and walk a few blocks... I despise 'valet only' with all of my soul - we only did it yesterday b/c it was hot, we had a baby with us, and once we pulled into the lot and realized it was valet, it was too late to quickly/safely pull back out onto Studewood.

Valet for that building??? Whats next Valet at Someburger?

I agree. I am even a pretty regular valet user (if I am dressed up, bad weather, or alone with kids I always take valet if free). That is crazy. And I wonder where they are parking all the cars?

The flip side is maybe it will keep it a more neighborhood oriented restaurant, frequented by people on bikes and on foot. They should make that whole back lot a giant bike rack!

I just called Ruggles. They claim the lot is still open to whomever wants to park there, even when the valet is there, which will only be Fri-Sun. They are working out an agreement with the church next door to use their lot as well. He still didn't give me a clear answer about where the valets would be parking peoples' cars though. Oh well. Seems like the best scenario- options.

I just called Ruggles. They claim the lot is still open to whomever wants to park there, even when the valet is there, which will only be Fri-Sun. They are working out an agreement with the church next door to use their lot as well. He still didn't give me a clear answer about where the valets would be parking peoples' cars though. Oh well. Seems like the best scenario- options.

That conflicts with my experience. We pulled in to the lot, waited about a minute for a car to pull out, then parked our own vehicle. On the way out of the car the valet gave us a ticket and asked for our key. After our meal, we returned to find the valet had graciously (/sarcasm) turned our car 180 degrees. I then gave him my ticket, got my key back, begrudgingly gave him $1, and pulled my own vehicle back out.

That's not valet, that's a paid parking lot.

EDIT: It was in the parking lot in back (South side of the restaurant)

Edited by Jesse
  • Like 1

That conflicts with my experience. We pulled in to the lot, waited about a minute for a car to pull out, then parked our own vehicle. On the way out of the car the valet gave us a ticket and asked for our key. After our meal, we returned to find the valet had graciously (/sarcasm) turned our car 180 degrees. I then gave him my ticket, got my key back, begrudgingly gave him $1, and pulled my own vehicle back out.

That's not valet, that's a paid parking lot.

EDIT: It was in the parking lot in back (South side of the restaurant)

Well, that's what they told me. Your experience would have ticked me off. I have to wonder if that was the valet's own doing? I am a huge supporter of not blaming valets when restaurants hire the service. They are just doing their job. BUT sounds like this guy could have been working the system to make some extra bucks. Anyway, only time will tell what they really decide to do...

I'll have to go try DownHouse for dinner.

I went back to Happy Fatz the other night for dinner and my wife and I tried their hotdogs. I wasn't expecting anything too special, but i was greatly surprised.

The franks are high quality, the bread is incredible, and the fixins are good too. They need to do something with their parking lot/fence setup so it is more obvious there is a restaurant there, because everything I've had there so far has been awesome. Highly recommended.

Went to Frosted Betty and had an Almond Ricotta Raspberry cupcake, it was pretty dang tasty. I look forward to trying the Maple Bacon cupcake soon.

Went to Chilosos yesterday, and they have changed their format a bit as well as raised their prices. Still not expensive, but part of my prevoius allure to going was how cheap it was. I'm guessing a lot of people didn't like the changes, because I have never seen Chilosos this empty on a Sunday around 1pm. Food was still just as tasty, but I felt like something was just missing... (general feel of the restaurant was just off I think)

Went to Frosted Betty and had an Almond Ricotta Raspberry cupcake, it was pretty dang tasty. I look forward to trying the Maple Bacon cupcake soon.

Where's this place?

And I'll second you on Happy Fatz .... I liked the mini-cheesecakes (although my wife had a regular slice and thought it was generic). But we got a sampler of mini-cupcakes this weekend, and they were great. We both hate when places go overboard on the frosting, and we felt they used the right amount. Hotdogs are next on our list.....

Went to Chilosos yesterday, and they have changed their format a bit as well as raised their prices. Still not expensive, but part of my prevoius allure to going was how cheap it was. I'm guessing a lot of people didn't like the changes, because I have never seen Chilosos this empty on a Sunday around 1pm. Food was still just as tasty, but I felt like something was just missing... (general feel of the restaurant was just off I think)

I haven't been in a few weeks so I'll have to see how much things went up by. You can't blame them though because inflation is understated as reported. I speak regularly with a GM of a place on Studewood. Costs are up for meats, veggies, and all the other incidentals for running a place. I'd rather pay the higher price than them cheapen ingredients.

• 1 month later...

Papa Geno's on Ella at W 18th is awesome if you like a good cheesesteak. Good size, good price, nice people. I'm not a spokesman for authenticity, but theirs are just way better than anything Jake's or Texadelphia (not too hard to beat them) has.

Easily the best kept secret in Houston. This cheesesteaks at this place are incredible and they make every other cheesesteak place in Houston look like amateurs.

Easily the best kept secret in Houston. This cheesesteaks at this place are incredible and they make every other cheesesteak place in Houston look like amateurs.

I've wondered about this place, since I drive by it every day. I'll have to try it.