The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Corkscrew is trying to open in the first couple weeks of June.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/05-24-11-13-50-mysterious-wine-moves-corkscrew-reappears-in-the-heights/

Saw that the signs are up and a lot of work going on. Looks like a June opening is a good possibility. Interesting to see how the ownership concept plays out. Nice to see them back in business.

Becks Prime...sooner or later they'll start the remodel.

The sign for Beck's Prime (on 19th between Yale and Heights) went up in the last week. I'm guessing they will have tables upstairs as well? I suppose they turned the old bank vault into the walk-in cooler.

The problem is I will be able to smell the burgers grilling from my house when the wind is right, so it will not be good for the waistline.

Dragon Bowl on 11th is really good for Asian stir fry and they have sushi too, but I haven't tried the sushi yet.

Dragon Bowl is awful as of two weeks ago. They raised prices, cheapened up the food (Panda Expressified it, maybe it could be called). They also changed it to add waitstaff rather than the old counter service, which is odd to me for such a small place, but I dont really care about that.

Im also not sure they still have sushi, I certainly havent seen the sushi chef in his spot anymore the last couple times I went (the last times I'll be goiong in a long while)

I went there after the "reboot" and asked about sushi since it wasn't on the menu any longer, and they said they still have it. Why they took it off the menu is beyond me. Their "build your own bowls" menu is the same and doesn't taste any different (that's what i normally get), but i admit that I was certainly expecting more when i read about the changes that were coming.

The Beck's and Hubcap websites suck at updates. When are these things opening? Is Christian's Tailgate already open? Someone needs to create a burger newspaper and deliver it to my house every day.

CT isn't open yet, but they already have the pool tables inside so I'd expect to see something soon...

http://www.29-95.com...ook%27s+Tour%29

Pretty great "first look" review for Down House. Breakfast and lunch being served. Can't wait to go.

Went there this weekend. It was phenomenal. Incredibly friendly and knowledgeable staff, very relaxed atmosphere, and the food was spectacular. I'll be back there... soon. Nice selection of beers, too (quality over quantity). They went with the "private club" thing... had to pass a very difficult admission test involving writing my name and address down on a piece of paper.

I went there after the "reboot" and asked about sushi since it wasn't on the menu any longer, and they said they still have it. Why they took it off the menu is beyond me. Their "build your own bowls" menu is the same and doesn't taste any different (that's what i normally get), but i admit that I was certainly expecting more when i read about the changes that were coming.

I always got the Kung Pao Chicken, and its significantly different now.

I went to the White Oak BB's for dinner yesterday and the food was absolutely fantastic. Makes me think Big Mamou isn't long for this world, BB's is infintely better.

My husband was always raving about the BBs on Montrose so I was very excited when this one opened. We had a GREAT dinner and can't wait to go back.

It might be the death knell for mamou but maybe not. I have to wonder if BBs is going to be more of a bar/restaurant than restaurant/bar. If that's the case, a lot of families will still go to Mamou. Mamou has a very sweet owner and a great patio. Plus it sits in the middle of a casual restaurant dry zone. I dunno. Do I think Mamou is the bees knees? Nope but I hate to see a locally owned establishment with great people behind it close. I don't wish that on anyone and just hope there is room for both since they offer different things...

My husband was always raving about the BBs on Montrose so I was very excited when this one opened. We had a GREAT dinner and can't wait to go back.

It might be the death knell for mamou but maybe not. I have to wonder if BBs is going to be more of a bar/restaurant than restaurant/bar. If that's the case, a lot of families will still go to Mamou. Mamou has a very sweet owner and a great patio. Plus it sits in the middle of a casual restaurant dry zone. I dunno. Do I think Mamou is the bees knees? Nope but I hate to see a locally owned establishment with great people behind it close. I don't wish that on anyone and just hope there is room for both since they offer different things...

I like pretty much everything about Mamou... except their food is mediocre at best. I just can't see how anyone would justify getting a poboy there with BB's just down the road. I know I will probably never go to Mamou again now. (maybe saturday morning for beignets??)

There were several families in BB's when i went yesterday, and I hope they work at catering to familes (at least during the day) but I really look forward to their late hours (post midnight gumbo run!)

I have really wanted to like Mamou but it just isn't very good, with BBs up the street it is an easy choice for me. I do agree with you that the crowd that keeps Mamou busy will probably stay there. With all the Louisiana people in the neighborhood there is more than enough local demand for both places.

Edited by J008

I always got the Kung Pao Chicken, and its significantly different now.

Update: my wife told me today that she ordered from Dragon Bowl last week while i was out of town and announced "Dragon Bowl is dead to me". Exact words there .... So, maybe they were still in the process of screwing up updating the menu when i went. It's a shame but really if i want sushi, I head over to Sushi Tora, anyway.

We hit Happy Fatz on Saturday night after dinner at Glass Wall. Skipped dessert just to try it out. It is a great little bungalow with a cozy feel and GREAT desserts. Some small items, and some UUUUGE cakes slices. We tried a variety of bite size chocolate covered cheesecake balls and a couple mini red velvet cupcakes. They also had some little cake balls on a stick (couldn't fit one of those in my gullet). All were great. I think they'll do well here. Perfect for an after dinner snack. And they also serve lunches which I wasn't aware of before.

We hit it again tonight on a whim on our way home. Again, great. Owners are super friendly, so we're pulling for them.

Go check them out.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I Phil's BBQ at Heights/Washington is out of business. I think it happened in April. They sure put a lot of money into that remodel. I hope someone can open up another restaurant there and not some DB bar, but I guess it will have to be whatever they can make money with.

They had bad barbecue. Gatlin's is so much better.

Yeah, I think they tried so much style over substance and the food didn't live up to it.

For the area, Beaver's and Hickory Hollow are the places to be. At least, in my opinion.

Edited by ricco67

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I Phil's BBQ at Heights/Washington is out of business. I think it happened in April. They sure put a lot of money into that remodel. I hope someone can open up another restaurant there and not some DB bar, but I guess it will have to be whatever they can make money with.

They had bad barbecue. Gatlin's is so much better.

Gatlin's is awesome but they run out pretty quickly. How Phil's thought they could have bad bbq with Hickory Hollow right across the street, I'll never know. But everything I've heard says that it was nothing more than a vanity project. Hopefully someone can take advantage of a move-in-change-the-sign situation (much like BB's did on White Oak).

Just got home from burgers at Christian's on White Oak. Awesome. The onion rings were to die for. Nice crowd for just opening. Tons of tvs (my kids went bonkers for the Formula 1 races). A real sports bar. I think it's going to do incredibly well.

So i hit up happy fatz, excellent desserts and great coffee. They were some of the nicest/friendliest people I've ever met. I can't wait to go back and try one of their hot dogs (they have like 8 different kinds). A wonderful addition to the 'hood.

Also hit up DownHouse this morning for breakfast. Pretty solid. I feel the prices are slightly to high, (waffle and 2 eggs was like $11, i feel $9 would be much more acceptable) but it is a great environment. Good coffee. Pretty exciting place, as they plan to eventually be open to 2AM, they are going to be a great addition to my heights bicycle pub crawl.

I always thought that place had potential, but the food was so greasy there. Glad to see that something better is going in.

Speaking of this intersection, I still haven't heard what will go in across the street in the old Houston Tamales Factory location. Anyone know?

I always thought that place had potential, but the food was so greasy there. Glad to see that something better is going in.

Speaking of this intersection, I still haven't heard what will go in across the street in the old Houston Tamales Factory location. Anyone know?

Liberty Kitchen. Oyster bar-ish. Lance Feagan.

• Like 1

Just got home from burgers at Christian's on White Oak. Awesome. The onion rings were to die for. Nice crowd for just opening. Tons of tvs (my kids went bonkers for the Formula 1 races). A real sports bar. I think it's going to do incredibly well.

Had Christians last night, that place is much bigger than I had imagined. I agree it is a real sports bar, it will be nuts during football season.

I went to Christians Tuesday. Very solid burger, great onion rings and fries. The waitress seemed confused and more interested in talking to other workers than refilling my water, but they were still very nice enough. I'm guessing she is still learning the ropes. I do think I prefer Hubcaps burgers, and my wife said she'd rather get the burger at dry creek, but Christian's will be a great place to go catch a game or fight, drink some pitchers, and eat a good burger. My bicycle pub crawl list is getting so long that i'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it.