The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Anyone have any dirt on when Dragon Bowl might open? I can't believe how long that build-out is taking.

You look familiar <_<

ANyway, I was excited when DB first put the sign out, but there is something about how long this build out is taking that makes me very leery about eating there. They can't afford to get their place open; how do I know they're not going to try and recoup some losses by serving Grade D meat? Just a little fishy...

• 4 weeks later...
What TYPE of restaurants and how BIG would you like them? DO you want these restaurants placed in rehabbed homes, or NEW construction that will fit with the area ? Suggestions ?

I'd love to see a variety. I think a large Lupe Tortilla (or similar) would be good for young families. If they could rehab some old homes on busy streets like 6th and 11th, that would be cool. Those would make great sandwich shops or coffee houses with breakfast. There are some areas on the west side that could definitely use some development where they could build new.

I have mentioned this before but I think the Heights needs 2 things:

1) A bakery/breakfast place. I like DaCapo's but their hours suck and they're breakfast selections are very limited.

2) A place for ice cream/ dessert- a cute gelato place or even an Amy's . I went to a place in Austin last weekend that had gelato and other deserts. THey had a nice patio area and it was packed at 9:30 pm. I think a place like that would do well in the 'hood.

Crickets has wonderful Gelato. But their hours leave something to be desired.

Maybe we could start a letter writing campaign. I want gelato after my nice, long dinner. I do not want gelato for dinner (well, sometimes but I don't think my husband would allow it :D )

I'd love to see a variety. I think a large Lupe Tortilla (or similar) would be good for young families. If they could rehab some old homes on busy streets like 6th and 11th, that would be cool. Those would make great sandwich shops or coffee houses with breakfast. There are some areas on the west side that could definitely use some development where they could build new.

I have mentioned this before but I think the Heights needs 2 things:

1) A bakery/breakfast place. I like DaCapo's but their hours suck and they're breakfast selections are very limited.

2) A place for ice cream/ dessert- a cute gelato place or even an Amy's . I went to a place in Austin last weekend that had gelato and other deserts. THey had a nice patio area and it was packed at 9:30 pm. I think a place like that would do well in the 'hood.

Heights_Yankee, I don't understand the bakery/breakfast comment. The Heights is well represented in both catagories. For breakfast, there are dozens of tex-mex joints that serve awesome american and mexican breakfast (Teotihuacan yum), there's Texas Cafeteria, Onion Creek, Eleventh Street Cafe, Andys, Java Java Cafe, Yale Street Coffee House, I could go on if I could remember anymore off the top of my head. Some of those places also have baked goods, but the best bakery that I know of in the Heights is the place across the street from Caninos on Airline. You won't fine a better Tres Leches anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Malvoe

The Daily Grind on Washington is another excellent breakfast place, and don't forget Dry Creek. There is also the Pig Stop on Washington.

Can't say I'd agree with a lupe tortilla - as far as I can tell, it's just another mediocre to bad chain restaurant. Plus, I seem to remember seeing a mexican restaurant or two around the heights already;-)

Now, if someone would only put in a Sushi restaurant, it would kill. In fact, that's probably something I'd think about investing in.

• 7 months later...

I was driving around the Heights this weekend (buying furniture at my new favorite furniture store, Chic Warehouse), and I saw this little wooden shack on a large corner lot on Yale (I think) that had "Pappasito's" painted on the street-facing side and some beer (?) logos painted on the side.

I was just wondering what the story with this was? Was it an original Pappasito's building? I kinda doubted there was ever a Pappasito's in that location since it's the dry part of the Heights... where did it come from?

Don't know if it still is with all the acquisitions they have made, but you probably saw their corporate HQ. It is a rather unassuming building on Yale close to I10.

I saw what Htwon girl is talking about. It's not their headquarters. I almost looks like a "shack" they can move to different places for events (street fairs, special events, etc.). I can't imagine Pappasitos putting a restaurant there, although I would love it if they did!

I can drive down any street in the Heights, close my eyes, hit the gas, and have a pretty good shot at crashing into a Mexican restaurant before hitting anything else. The last thing we need is another Mexican restaurant. If it's "Pappasito's-style" you're looking for, there's the El Tiempo on Washington or even Berryhill on 19th.

I can drive down any street in the Heights, close my eyes, hit the gas, and have a pretty good shot at crashing into a Mexican restaurant before hitting anything else. The last thing we need is another Mexican restaurant. If it's "Pappasito's-style" you're looking for, there's the El Tiempo on Washington or even Berryhill on 19th.

Good point, I'm just always pulling for and supporting new restaurants in the 'hood.

The shack looked like a booth for a fair or something. The Pappa's HQ is across the street...they were prob. doing something on there other piece o' property.

I learned they are moving their HQs out of the Heights to somewhere on 290. Wonder if they'll keep ownership of the Heights properties?

About a year ago I heard that they own a large chunk of the land across Yale/adjacent to the old rail line, and some sore of housing development was planned there - very upscale houses and walled off from the rest of the neighborhood. Anybody else hear that one? I'll check with the person that told me that and see if they know what's going on with their land.

Edited by Tiko

The shack looked like a booth for a fair or something. The Pappa's HQ is across the street...they were prob. doing something on there other piece o' property.

Guess I'll have to look across the street next time I drive by there... :) Didn't know their HQ was there... interesting.

• 4 months later...

My wife and I just moved to Garden Oaks, and I have been exploring the neighborhood while jogging in the evenings. The first time I ran down Wakefield I was suprised to see several icehouses.

We tried out the old gas station at Wakefield & Golf. We liked it, $1 can beer if you're wearing flip-flops, can't beat that. The patio was nice and we liked the layed back atmosphere of the place, but there were way too many kids running around.

I was wondering if anyone had been to the other places on Wakefield? One place is called the Catty Corner (Wakefield & Alba), then there is The Dutchman and a red building across from The Dutchman, think is called the Country Place. Has anyone been to any of these places? Can you tell us a little about them?

Are these cool icehouses or are they a good place to get a bottle broken over your head? Do they have nice neighborhood charm, or are they watering holes for the trailer parks down the street and the people with cars in their yard?

all are nice stops for a sat afternoon bike ride. haven't been at night in yrs though. are skater friendly too. i've probably been to the dutchman the most. sometimes it can get loud if they have the tv on too high.

Edited by musicman

My wife and I just moved to Garden Oaks, and I have been exploring the neighborhood while jogging in the evenings. The first time I ran down Wakefield I was suprised to see several icehouses.

We tried out the old gas station at Wakefield & Golf. We liked it, $1 can beer if you're wearing flip-flops, can't beat that. The patio was nice and we liked the layed back atmosphere of the place, but there were way too many kids running around.

I was wondering if anyone had been to the other places on Wakefield? One place is called the Catty Corner (Wakefield & Alba), then there is The Dutchman and a red building across from The Dutchman, think is called the Country Place. Has anyone been to any of these places? Can you tell us a little about them?

Are these cool icehouses or are they a good place to get a bottle broken over your head? Do they have nice neighborhood charm, or are they watering holes for the trailer parks down the street and the people with cars in their yard?

Are you talking about Wakefield near Bissonnet just outside of West U? If so there are two kind of cool places right near there on the other side of Kirby that have been around forever. The Volcano and Kay's. There's a new sports bar opening where Timberwolf once was but not sure of the name. It may have opened already. There's a great little quaint Italian restaurant in a house there too called Antica Osteria if you want to take her to a romantic dinner. Prices aren't bad either. It's near Greenbriar on Bissonnet.

The Dutchman has been there forever. I'd say more neighborhood regulars there..but a pretty nice crowd. And like Musicman said...skater friendly... I went to a Halloween party there a few years ago that was really cool.... some art cars showed up.

I've only been to the red one across the street once...seemed nice enough.. I think they sell hard liquor where the others are been and wine...and maybe set ups?

I have not been to the one on the corner...old service station..then real estate office...but it sure looks nice and packs a crowd.

Not sure if Jimmy's is still open (ice house)...but as I recall the crowd is a bit rougher there.

It is nice to have these so close to home....walking distance...if you decide to indulge and cann't drive home.

Oh..and welcome to the neighborhood... I live just across Ella in Oak Forest.

Hey, Boognish! Another welcome to the neighborhood! :)

You might want to try Petrol Station later at night to avoid the kiddos. My husband and I have walked up there with our dog from across Ella around 7:30-8 on weeknights, and it's been quiet. Or stop in early on a weekend morning for coffee and breakfast. The owner has two children (3, maybe?) and they're around a lot now for the summer, as well as their friends. We love Petrol Station for the beer selection - it's great to be able to get a dark beer other than Shiner (not that there's anything wrong with Shiner). Until we win the lottery and open our Irish pub, it's our close-by place for a drink out.