The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

• 1 year later...

We've been to 11th St Cafe (pretty good), Onion Creek (limited menu), Yale St (at 21st, pretty good), and Dry Creek (too expensive for what you get IMO) - are there any hidden gems out there for a great breakfast? Not fancy healthy stuff, just good old fashioned breakfast. We've seen a couple places further down White Oak, but never tried them.

I second Chilosos - very good breakfast tacos. Also, you could try the places a little South of the Heights. El Rey on Washington and Shepherd has a good breakfast menu and some of the best coffee in the city, in my opinion. Also, I've never been, but my friends like the breakfast at Cyclone Anaya's on Shepherd. They tell me that the omlettes are big enough to share.

Chilosos on 20th and Houston Tamale Factory on Studewood/11th have some awesome breakfast burritos.

I tried Choloso a few weeks ago and was not impressed. The eggs were watery and the tacos sort of bland. Baby Barnaby's makes a much better breakfast taco.

I had breakfast at the District 7 a few weeks back and was very impressed. That's the old-school diner looking place on Pierce, in the shadow of I-45. Technically, I guess it is in midtown/downtown, but it is a straight shot down Houston Ave. to get there from the Heights.

Teotihuacan on Airline used to have a good brunch menu, but I haven't tried it (for breakfast) in a few years.

I never liked Onion Creek or Dry Creek. Too much money for mediocre food. :( I love, love, LOVE Yale St. Grill, though. :)

But I'll second the suggestion to hit up Washington Avenue just south of the Heights, and further suggest that you head over to Guadalajara Bakery. I know they aren't "breakfast" tacos, but I like their chicharron tacos the best. They also have chorizo, eggs and beans, pork, etc. Damn good stuff.

Shade serves a mean brunch on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but only if you're willing to pony up some cash. That said, their challah French toast plate (with eggs and applewood bacon) is to die for.

One of my other favorite Heights breakfast activities is going to Canino's early on a Saturday morning to score some fresh produce, then walking across Airline to El Bolillo for some fresh pastries and coffee. They also have really good kolaches, believe it or not. After stuffing my face with pastries, it's off to B&W on Shepherd for some meat...but that's another thread altogether. :)

Last but not least (and, again, not exactly in the Heights...), you have to try Frank's Grill on Mangum (by Delmar Stadium). Awesome breakfasts, possibly some of the best in town. Porkchop and eggs, hashbrowns, chicken fried steak and eggs, pancakes... *DROOL* The Mangum location is totally run-down, like everything else in that area, but the food is delicious AND cheap and the service is great, too. Make sure you get there before 10am, though -- it gets packed after that.

Also not in the Heights but close enough for us to make the drive is Aunt Bea's at the Tidwell exit off I-45. It's in the same shopping center as the Ponchos. We love their omlettes and their hash browns are wonderful. The biscuits are hit or miss. Their pancakes are great too. Service is always friendly. They don't have a kids menu but they do sell al la carte and the regular breakfast servings are so large that we never have a problem feeding our toddler off our plates (and they'll automatically bring you an extra plate).

I've also heard raves about the veggie omlette at Spanish Flowers--I'm not a fan of veggies so I can't recommend either way. We used to go to Java Java all the time but the service is so spotty and sometimes the food quality is spotty. I also hate how they cook their bacon all on top of each other and it's one giant mound that you can't separate when they bring out your food. You also have to get up and get your own coffee most of the time.

I had breakfast at the District 7 a few weeks back and was very impressed. That's the old-school diner looking place on Pierce, in the shadow of I-45. Technically, I guess it is in midtown/downtown, but it is a straight shot down Houston Ave. to get there from the Heights.

Is this place only open for breakfast and lunch? Every time I've driven by there at night, it appeared to be closed.

Teotihuacan on Airline used to have a good brunch menu, but I haven't tried it (for breakfast) in a few years.

I've only been to the Teotihuacan at Cavalcade and Irvington, but they do breakfast really, really well. I rarely eat big breakfasts these days, but I can guarantee you'll be ready for a midmorning nap after a visit there.

Last but not least (and, again, not exactly in the Heights...), you have to try Frank's Grill on Mangum (by Delmar Stadium). Awesome breakfasts, possibly some of the best in town. Porkchop and eggs, hashbrowns, chicken fried steak and eggs, pancakes... *DROOL* The Mangum location is totally run-down, like everything else in that area, but the food is delicious AND cheap and the service is great, too. Make sure you get there before 10am, though -- it gets packed after that.

Frank's is great, but I prefer the original location on Telephone (now that's really far afield from the Heights). It's much smaller and has more of a diner feel to it.

Also not in the Heights but close enough for us to make the drive is Aunt Bea's at the Tidwell exit off I-45. It's in the same shopping center as the Ponchos. We love their omlettes and their hash browns are wonderful. The biscuits are hit or miss. Their pancakes are great too. Service is always friendly. They don't have a kids menu but they do sell al la carte and the regular breakfast servings are so large that we never have a problem feeding our toddler off our plates (and they'll automatically bring you an extra plate).

Another vote for Aunt Bea's here. I've probably been eating there on and off for close to forty years, dating back to its earlier incarnation as one of the Youngblood's chicken restaurants.

I never liked Onion Creek or Dry Creek. Too much money for mediocre food.

I'm glad you wrote that, I was starting to think I was on crazy pills the way I hear people talk about Dry Creek. Been there twice and both times was not as happy as the bill was high. Not unaffordable high, but just based on what you get.

This is a really good topic.

My preferred spots, in no particular order, for WashAve/Heights are:

1. Shade - a little more pricey, but worth every penny

2. El Rey/Laredo - both are solid with cheap, uncommonly good breakfast tacos

3. Spanish Flower/Berryhill - both solid all around

4. El Tiempo - a bit limited on breakfast options, but good

5. Yale St./11th Street - both solid greasy spoon breakfast

6. Daily Grind - more urban-ey with coffee house feel

7. Beaver's brunch - not open until 11am but very good (if they were open earlier, I'd be there more often)

8. King Biscuit - not as good as the others, but the patio makes up for it

I also am known on occassion to hit up Popeye's for biscuits and chicken tenders with honey. Very nutritious.

I have never tried Dharma Cafe on Houston for their Sunday brunch, but I hear very good things.

Never had Teo-T for breakfast, but they are otherwise really good.

Dan's Cafe has all the potential in the world, but their food to me is really bland.

I like Onion Creek and Dry Creek overall, but for some reason, their breakfast options do not appeal to me. Dry Creek has good breakfast items conceptually, but the product always turns out sorta kinda good. And in H-town, that does not cut it.

I know that I am forgetting some spots - my apologies in advance.

I've always enjoyed Java Java.. tends to be busy on weekends..

I've had El Rey downtown for lunch and wasn't impressed.. But I hadn't had breakfast there, nor had the coffee.. so maybe it's better!

What is that place on White Oak near Morrison/Beauchamp.? Do they have breakfast there?

I've always enjoyed Java Java.. tends to be busy on weekends..

I've had El Rey downtown for lunch and wasn't impressed.. But I hadn't had breakfast there, nor had the coffee.. so maybe it's better!

What is that place on White Oak near Morrison/Beauchamp.? Do they have breakfast there?

I need to try this Java Java.

The El Rey downtown is mediocre - the one on Wash Ave is much better.

Tried to go to Java Java - lazy asses weren't gonna be open until 8:30. What kind of breakfast place is that? If the baby ever sleeps past 6:30 on the weekend maybe we'll try Java Java.

So...we ended up at Frank's Diner on Mangum, and it was awesome. So much food for so little money. I had a waffle, grits, bacon (best bacon in town), biscuit. All good, and great service.

Dharma Cafe (just outside the Heights)

We have watched this little joint move from literally downtown (down street from Last Concert Cafe) to its new spot off of Houston Ave.

Excellent brunch, but you do pay for it. $17p/person (eggs any way u like + Mimosa included !)

They do not have any high chairs, so bring your own.

They are kid friendly however, as the chef came over after our party of 5 adults & 5 kids rolled through and thanked us for coming in.

They get busy, but the mimosas make up for it !

Tried to go to Java Java - lazy asses weren't gonna be open until 8:30. What kind of breakfast place is that? If the baby ever sleeps past 6:30 on the weekend maybe we'll try Java Java.

So...we ended up at Frank's Diner on Mangum, and it was awesome. So much food for so little money. I had a waffle, grits, bacon (best bacon in town), biscuit. All good, and great service.

Yay for Frank's!!! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

I'll probably be there tomorrow morning myself...

That's one of the reasons we stopped going to Java Java--our toddler is up at 6:30 on the dot and I really don't want to listen to whining until 8:30. Plus no kids menu. We're fixing to move closer to the loop so we'll give Frank's a try. Anyone know how it compares to Aunt Bea's?

We're fixing to move closer to the loop so we'll give Frank's a try. Anyone know how it compares to Aunt Bea's?

It compares very well. Portion sizes might be a bit larger at Aunt Bea's, but there's not a huge difference. I knew I was going to like Frank's the first time I went there and saw what looked like at least ten pounds of freshly-diced potatoes sizzling away on the grill. That should give you an idea of how popular the hash browns are.

• 1 month later...

Went to Java Java this morning, not really a fan. My "best in town" waffle was not near as good as ones I've made myself at the self-service Holiday Inn Express breakfast. As to the coffee, it was so watery that my wife had to double check after it was poured that it was indeed coffee. Prices remind me of Dry Creek, way too high for what you get. Why go here when I can spend $2 less per food item for better food at Frank's? Exactly.

1. Loredo. My fav is Loredo Taqueria; we go there regularly. They have good huevos rancheros and bfast tacos. Coffee is only so-so, but it gets the job done.

2. El Rey. Damn good coffee -- if I could have Loredo's food and El Rey's coffee brought to the same table, I'd be happy. I was loyal only to El Rey for a long time, but I've switched bfast taco allegiance to Loredo. Still eat El Rey -- Loredo is just better in some small, but significant ways.

3. Yale Diner. They fit the hashbrown, bacon, eggs bill from time to time.