The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Has anyone heard anything about a new restaurant going up at the corner of White Oak & Oxford--across the street from Onion Creek? There's a sign up that says Soul Food and Fried Chicken restaurant coming.

Nice to have something different to choose from, but that seems like an odd location for this type of food.

Has anyone heard anything about a new restaurant going up at the corner of White Oak & Oxford--across the street from Onion Creek? There's a sign up that says Soul Food and Fried Chicken restaurant coming.

Nice to have something different to choose from, but that seems like an odd location for this type of food.

I just noticed the sign on the building the other day - there were a couple guys working outside the building painting and such - they have actually been working on the building for several months...

It does seem like a strange place for a Soul Food restaurant - but as you said, it's good to have another food choice.....lets keep our fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I love the Heights area and have enjoyed our first year living here. One thing that we wonder about though is the lack of restaurant diversity in the area. We enjoy the new Thai Spice quite a bit...but find ourselves having to go to Montrose or Rice Village if we ever want anything other than a burger, sandwich, chinese food or pizza.

It seems like recently the Heights just started getting some new restaurants outside of the same old lines. We love Onion Creek...but Dry Creek, 6th St. Bar & Grill, etc. all serve up the same burger and fry options.

For example we love Indian food as many of our friends do in the area but it seems as if no Indian restaurants are venturing into the area. Just more burger joints.

Question...is the lack of restaurant diversity in the area from wanting to keep the small town feel or is it from restaurant owners not realizing there is a demand for this in the area? I think progress is being made. We like the recent additions of Glass Wall, Thai Spice, etc.

Your thoughts.

Question...is the lack of restaurant diversity in the area from wanting to keep the small town feel or is it from restaurant owners not realizing there is a demand for this in the area? I think progress is being made. We like the recent additions of Glass Wall, Thai Spice, etc.

Your thoughts.

Several things. Don't forget, for years, The Heights was a DUMP...no matter what everyone says. The only restaurants in a ghetto are burger joints. As the Heights improves, the restaurants follow. All of the places you mention have opened in the last few years.

Heights reputation for being Dry does not help. Owners are figuring out where the boundaries are, and building accordingly, though. But, for years, everyone thought it was the entire area that was dry...and the Houston Heights Assoc. does nothing to change the perception.

My wife and I love the Heights area and have enjoyed our first year living here. One thing that we wonder about though is the lack of restaurant diversity in the area. We enjoy the new Thai Spice quite a bit...but find ourselves having to go to Montrose or Rice Village if we ever want anything other than a burger, sandwich, chinese food or pizza.

It seems like recently the Heights just started getting some new restaurants outside of the same old lines. We love Onion Creek...but Dry Creek, 6th St. Bar & Grill, etc. all serve up the same burger and fry options.

For example we love Indian food as many of our friends do in the area but it seems as if no Indian restaurants are venturing into the area. Just more burger joints.

Your thoughts.

Patience, patience.

Developers are obviously seeing the potential. Glasswall and Shade demontrate that not only will Heights residents welcome these types of establishments; people will come from other parts of the city for a good restaurant.

As much as we would like to, we also can't forget that we'll soon have another new restaurant on the former Ashland's in The Heights lot.

I don't eat burgers at Dry Creek, I order other items.

I sympathize with your overall assessment, but I see signs of change.

I think things are expanding with the additions of Shade and Glass Wall.

We recently found a place called Jazzy Cafe that serves NO style poboys...the owners are here thanks to Katrina.

For Chinese we eat at Bamboo House across the bayou on Waugh.

Indian food still hasn't made its mark, but we're close enough to our old favs that it isn't an issue. We actually travel to Sharpstown for Indian.

We also travel for Korean to the Longpoint area. We love Korean food and it wasn't until this year that we found a place outside of the Longpoint area -- that place is in Sharpstown, too.

We also found a really good Thai place on 610 and 18th. Not technically the Heights, but close enough.

I think that Berry Hill was a good addition.

I agree with your assessment. I also wonder if I would eat at any new place that didn't satisfy my cravings for my old favs that are in pretty close proximity...in other words, anything in the Heights will compete at some level with the places you already know and love. That may make a difference to someone breaking into the ultra-competitive restaurant business in our now high rent area.

Patience, patience.

Developers are obviously seeing the potential. Glasswall and Shade demontrate that not only will Heights residents welcome these types of establishments; people will come from other parts of the city for a good restaurant.

As much as we would like to, we also can't forget that we'll soon have another new restaurant on the former Ashland's in The Heights lot.

Patience has never been my best virtue...lol...I just know that the area can handle additional options and I for one if given my option prefer to spend my money inside the Heights rather than outside of the Heights, whether it be food, groceries, gas...whatever...thanks for the responses guys...

By the way...do you think that this area will always be dry or is it set to expire at a certain time...what seems to be the general feeling of families in the area...do they prefer to keep it dry? What have areas like West U. done? I know from groing up in Bellaire that the fact it was not dry never hurt the family atmosphere there.

The whole city was dry when my dad moved here. So, for history, that was the only way.

West U., Bellaire, etc. didn't actively do anything.

The Heights, when it became part of Houston, made sure that the area in the boundries referenced above remained dry and they wanted it that way forever and ever amen.

I think the dry aspect has influenced the fact that there aren't a lot of cantinas or houses turned bar in what was a depressed area of town. That's probably a good thing for the neighborhood overall.

What Shade does seems like a good solution, only it seems hard to come by. The boundries aren't that big. There are plenty of spaces available where alcohol can be served. I think it is just as someone stated above: people think that all the Heights is dry. It isn't. I will add that people think that the Heights is a lot of places it isn't. That doesn't help business owners figure out that they can sell alcohol in the area.

I think as word gets out, we'll see more changes.

Let's not forget about Tampico on Airline, Teutactlan (sp) on Airline, that good Vietnamese place on 19th next to Chase bank. All are very good, not chains, AND you can bring your own wine to the Vietnamese place! ;)

Vietnam Restaurant. Appropriate, no? B)

Vietnam Restaurant. Appropriate, no? B)

Did you want me to say Vietnamese restaurant instead of Vietnamese place? It's a restaurant that serves Vietnamese food, therefore it's a Vietnamese restaurant. I don't go to a China restaurant, I go to a Chinese restaurant.

Edited by native_Houstonian

Haaa! Native, that was cute! China restaurant. That was some much needed comic relief for my very crappy day :D

Has anyone been to Mardi Gras on Durham? It's the white building with all the beads... Someone I work with went there and liked it, but I don't know how much I trust his opinion. ^_^

Edited by heights_yankee

Haaa! Native, that was cute! China restaurant. That was some much needed comic relief for my very crappy day :D

Has anyone been to Mardi Gras on Durham? It's the white building with all the beads... Someone I work with went there and liked it, but I don't know how much I trust his opinion. ^_^

Trust it. Mardi Gras used to be called Floyd's. Floyd Landry's family owned the original Landry's, before it was bought and chainified. Mardi Gras has possibly the best Bisque I've ever had. Pretty much all of their menu is great. I know a lot of their staff, too. Good people. :P

Trust it. Mardi Gras used to be called Floyd's. Floyd Landry's family owned the original Landry's, before it was bought and chainified. Mardi Gras has possibly the best Bisque I've ever had. Pretty much all of their menu is great. I know a lot of their staff, too. Good people. :P

Floyd now has a restaurant in Webster. in the old boat shaped buiding in front of Garden Ridge Pottery and the Burlington Coat Factory (old Hydroponic Fiesta). 528 at 45. Still great food. get there before it somehow gets chainified as well.

Is "Jazzy Cafe" in the Heights? Never heard of it. And I have killed before for a good po-boy.

There was a review in The Voice on it. It mentioned it was on the "industrial" side of 19th Street so I'm assuming it is on 19th, West of Durham. The review was kind of good but it mentioned the eclectic menu. You can get a fried rice side with your po-boy

Edited by west20th

Is "Jazzy Cafe" in the Heights? Never heard of it. And I have killed before for a good po-boy.

Technically, Jazzy Cafe is in Shady Acres. It is on 19th between Bealle and Bevis. It is in the little red building that once was home to the Chicago Beef House or something. The food at Jazzy is fresh and tasty, plus the owners are very nice. Here's hoping that they suceed at that location.

Might this be to ease the overflow on the weekends at The Breakfast Club ?

Also I think there is talk of another Sno Cone/Ice Cream stand on North Main closer to 610

I always see crowds of people on North Main and 14th sno cone stand.

And I-10 near Shep Puerto Rican restaurant

I mentioned this at a neighborhood meeting, and everyone got really excited. I do think that a small local soul food place would do well. Adds a bit of diversity to the area, and we all know we like to sneak fried anything from time to time...hope they have a take out section! :wub:

Don't forget Thai Spice and Collina's on 19th. Both serve good food.

Thanks all for the heads up on Jazzy Cafe, I will definitely swing by for a NOLA fix.

A minor warning about the Mardi Gras Cafe, however. They put spices on their berled crawfish after their done rather than just berling them with the crab boil. I also encountered this at a crawfish boil at Onion Creek. Maybe that's a "Texas thang", but it is definitely wrong if you want New Orleans style boiled crawfish.

Teotihuacan. Mmmm.

We third that. Teotihuacan is hands down better than Spanish Flower is now. When we moved here 8 years ago, we loved Spanish Flowers, but over the years and after their expansion, it seems the food has become bland. Teotihuacan is definitely great!!!

Edited by houstonray

Don't forget Thai Spice and Collina's on 19th. Both serve good food.

Thanks all for the heads up on Jazzy Cafe, I will definitely swing by for a NOLA fix.

I'm not a huge fan of Colina's but we went to Thai Spice for the 1st time last night and it was great. The waiter left something to be desired- when my husband ordered brown rice, he brought Jasmine rice and then said he did that b/c he thinks the jasmine rice is better and Thai people don't eat brown rice. Otherwise, the food was better than expected...

Check out the Taste of the Heights this w/e...it features most of the Heights restaurants:

All Saints Church offering local fare and fair

Celebration of area eateries cornerstone of eventful weekend

By MARTIN HAJOVSKY

THOSE who think there are no great restaurants in the Heights will have their assumptions trumped this weekend at All Saints Catholic Church.

The church, 215 East 10th at Harvard, will host its inaugural Great Taste of the Heights event from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Saturday.

The chef's invitational, a fundraiser for All Saints, will feature tastings and signature dishes and sample menus from 19 Heights-area restaurants, along with cocktails and live entertainment.

Also on tap will be an art sale featuring the work of mostly Heights-area artists.

Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 on the day of the event.

"This is the best deal in town," All Saints special events coordinator Michelle Britton said. "We've had a huge response to this and have asked the restaurants to expand how much food to bring. For $15 you get all of these samples, plus cocktails, access to an arts show, access to the live entertainment.

"We're definitely going to set this up to happen every year. It's a great celebration of the Heights."

Featured restaurants include Berryhill's, Carter and Cooley, Chatters, Collina's, Cricket's Creamery and Cafe, DaCapo's, 11th Street Cafe, King Biscuit, Heights Camphouse BBQ, Hickory Hollow, Java Java Cafe, McCain's Market, Onion Creek/Dry Creek, Shade, Spanish Flowers, Thai Spice, The Vietnam Restaurant, the Glass Wall and Yale Street Grill.

The event is the tip of an eventful weekend at the church. A trash and treasure sale will kick off the festivities from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.

"Bargains, bargains and more bargains," Britton said. "It'll be fun."

All Saints also will hold its annual Family Day Bazaar from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday.

The event will have barbecue dinners, live entertainment, arts and crafts, and what Britton calls "the usual bazaar suspects."

"This is our big, boffo bazaar," she said. "There's live entertainment, cocktails, frozen margaritas, beer garden, something for everyone.

"We've also added a trackless train that will take people for rides around different blocks of the Heights."

Just as with last year, the church is planning another edition of its Video Memories oral history project.

Volunteers are lined up to film the memories of anyone with a story to tell about the church and school and growing up in the Heights.

Church officials hope to create an archive of these memories to document the history of the church and the surrounding neighborhood.

Running throughout all of the events will be the aforementioned art sale. Among the artists featured will be All Saints' own Brother Robert Lentz, a Franciscan Friar, a world-renowned religious iconographer who is putting together an icon wall at the church.

"He's such a wonderful artist and a humble guy. You'd never know he has such a large international reputation. We are going to be selling some of his designs and religious objects," Britton said, noting that openings remain for artists who want to sell their work.

Tickets for the Great Tastes of the Heights event can be purchased at participating restaurants, online at www.allsaints.ws, or by calling the All Saints Special Events line at 713-864-2653, Ext. 217.