Is This Urban Condo/Loft/Home Worth The 185k Asking Price? Washington Corridor

Mr. Smarts

The approximate size is 1250 sq ft inside. 2 car garage. Looks tempting. I currently live in the heights, but want to move.

Its near heights and washington ave.

hr1667492-7.jpg

hr1667492-2.jpg

Or what about these.. I barely started getting into the market to purchase a new home.

hr1651727-1.jpg

Not really, in my opinion. There will be people that pay that much for them, but in a couple years when it is time to move on, I doubt that they will resell them for that price.

There is still too much undeveloped land in that area, and too many other townhomes to be built.

You need to be very careful about the build quality of these places...some will deteriorate rapidly. If you have just started to look, I'd suggest you look at the whole spectrum of places before you dive in. Real estate prices in Houston, even in this area, will only increase a rate slightly better than inflation, again IMHO. No rush.

I went through one of these a couple months ago - they are VERY small - the living room/dining room/kitchen will barely have room for a table and chairs......If you dont have any furniture - they would be great - or if you like the minimalist design approach !

Also - when looking at stuff along Washington - keep in mind where the railroad tracks are.....some of the new HHN townhomes are 10 ft from the tracks...

I went through one of these a couple months ago - they are VERY small - the living room/dining room/kitchen will barely have room for a table and chairs......If you dont have any furniture - they would be great - or if you like the minimalist design approach !

Also - when looking at stuff along Washington - keep in mind where the railroad tracks are.....some of the new HHN townhomes are 10 ft from the tracks...

Thank you! What did you end up doing? In terms of housing situation. the train is a pain, got any idea if they plan on removing those tracks?

Last night I was looking at new homes in the pearland 288 area. There is a lot of land there with 2500 sq ft houses for 185k. Its really temping.

You are right, the living room is small, its high, but small. My parents love the place and said that it was all I needed. I'm 24 and live with my fiance, no kids. But I would like a place to entertain. Small parking and only 1250 sq ft make me think. And the places that I do like 1600sq ft, cost 225k. On the upper end of my budget.

Not really, in my opinion. There will be people that pay that much for them, but in a couple years when it is time to move on, I doubt that they will resell them for that price.

There is still too much undeveloped land in that area, and too many other townhomes to be built.

You need to be very careful about the build quality of these places...some will deteriorate rapidly. If you have just started to look, I'd suggest you look at the whole spectrum of places before you dive in. Real estate prices in Houston, even in this area, will only increase a rate slightly better than inflation, again IMHO. No rush.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. If you and your fiance decide to start a family in a few years and look to move to more spacious quarters, I think you will have a difficult time selling this for what you paid for it. There will be more, newer townhomes all around you in the next 5 - 10 years.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. If you and your fiance decide to start a family in a few years and look to move to more spacious quarters, I think you will have a difficult time selling this for what you paid for it. There will be more, newer townhomes all around you in the next 5 - 10 years.

perfect answer.. I was thinking almost the same thing. Only that I thought that it actually might sell faster because of the different styling it had. The other condos there, like the ones by HHN are really cookie cutter. Not that these aren't.

Thank you! What did you end up doing? In terms of housing situation. the train is a pain, got any idea if they plan on removing those tracks?

I have a purchased a condo at Lovett Place Condos.....if they ever start building them I might actually get to move in !!

the train is a pain, got any idea if they plan on removing those tracks?

Why on earth would they move the tracks? Lots of trains use those rail lines, and many of those warehouses back there use the rail to ship goods. Just because the area is becoming more attractive for townhomes and condos doesn't mean the hard industry is going away. Anyone who buys a place on the north side of Washington had better get used to the sounds of locomotives all night long.

Why on earth would they move the tracks? Lots of trains use those rail lines, and many of those warehouses back there use the rail to ship goods. Just because the area is becoming more attractive for townhomes and condos doesn't mean the hard industry is going away. Anyone who buys a place on the north side of Washington had better get used to the sounds of locomotives all night long.

I'm not wanting them to move it because of me, but I've read a lot about the city of houston closing down certain tracks and making them into jogging routes or bike trails. All in all, train tracks are an eye sore and lower property values around them. But on the other side, they are necessary.

it is a very active track. they wont be moving it any time soon...however, there is a big grumbling that is developing into a roar about shutting up the F*#&Jing horn! You can hear it all over town, all night long....

Oh, I agree about the horns. It took two weeks for me to learn to sleep through the night when I moved here.

But as for the tracks "lowering property values" - the tracks were there long before the townhouses. That's why the townhouses are comparitively cheap. Don't buy there if you don't want the noise.

It's like people who build on cheap land near the airport and then lobby to change the flightpaths because the planes are too loud.

Oh, I agree about the horns. It took two weeks for me to learn to sleep through the night when I moved here.

But as for the tracks "lowering property values" - the tracks were there long before the townhouses. That's why the townhouses are comparitively cheap. Don't buy there if you don't want the noise.

It's like people who build on cheap land near the airport and then lobby to change the flightpaths because the planes are too loud.

which is why I'm double thinking the area.. I'm leaning more towards pearland, even though my work is in the heights and my fiance works in downtown. 20 mile commute each way isn't bad. My job isn't 8-5. More like 9/10-6/7pm. So I would avoid most of the traffic, not all. :(

which is why I'm double thinking the area.. I'm leaning more towards pearland, even though my work is in the heights and my fiance works in downtown. 20 mile commute each way isn't bad. My job isn't 8-5. More like 9/10-6/7pm. So I would avoid most of the traffic, not all. :(

Mr. Smarts,

What is your price range? You could probably get into a nice home, although it may be smaller and older than what you think you want, very close in the area. Have you looked in Timbergrove? I think you can still get in there for under $200K. Try Oak Forest. Seach HAR.com in as many ways as you can. Drive the neighborhoods that interest you. Everyday on your way home from work, take a different route. Just please, whatever you do, exhaust all of your options before you buy. I looked for almost a year before I found the house for me (although, I was lucky and didn't have to find a house and move right away).

The easiest way to lose money is to buy something, and then decide in a couple of years that this is not what you want or need. All the money you spent on closing costs, inspections, and the INTEREST which comprises the majority of your payments for the first 5-10 years (depending on your loan), will be down the drain.

Mr. Smarts,

Just please, whatever you do, exhaust all of your options before you buy. I looked for almost a year before I found the house for me (although, I was lucky and didn't have to find a house and move right away).

I couldn't agree more. If you have the time look everywhere and at everything. Dedicate your Sundays to look at open houses. Sooner or later the perfect house will be there. We looked for over a year before we found our house and it was perfect for us. Also, having a husband that says "absolutely not" every time I wanted to impulse buy didn't hurt either.

Two roomies and I have been renting a townhome off Washington since last summer. We'll be searching for something new once this yr lease expires.

The biggest issue I've faced is parking.

Like that first picture you posted... lots of homebuilders are doing this one alley services 6 or so garages thing.

Trust me.. you don't want that. You'll always be forced to park in your garage. It basically equated to having no driveway.

We're a three-car household.. so we automatically eliminated these alley driveway properties when searching.

Visitor parking is also a hassle. More so on the north side of Washington I've found.. but the streets are narrow with big drainage ditches on either side. Makes street parking iffy.

We eliminated lots of townhomes in our search due to zero street parking nearby.

Also.. someone already said it.. but the train. If you live in that zone between I-10 and Washington.. it will wake you up every night if you're a light sleeper.

Mr. Smarts,

You might also check the Yellowstone Street Townhomes by Urban Lofts, located at Yellowstone and 288. They're selling 1,800 - 2,200 sf townhomes for $185k - $200k. It's a bit bigger TH for the price.

The location is great...it'll keep you inside the Loop, save you from the 20-mile commute, and keep your wife within 10 minutes of the Heights.

Mr. Smarts,

You might also check the Yellowstone Street Townhomes by Urban Lofts, located at Yellowstone and 288. They're selling 1,800 - 2,200 sf townhomes for $185k - $200k. It's a bit bigger TH for the price.

The location is great...it'll keep you inside the Loop, save you from the 20-mile commute, and keep your wife within 10 minutes of the Heights.

Thanks guys. I'm going to check out that link.

My price range is 160k-200k. I could go a little higher but I want to be able to comfortably buy a nice car in the near future and also invest some of my money.

Two roomies and I have been renting a townhome off Washington since last summer. We'll be searching for something new once this yr lease expires.

The biggest issue I've faced is parking.

Like that first picture you posted... lots of homebuilders are doing this one alley services 6 or so garages thing.

Trust me.. you don't want that. You'll always be forced to park in your garage. It basically equated to having no driveway.

We're a three-car household.. so we automatically eliminated these alley driveway properties when searching.

Visitor parking is also a hassle. More so on the north side of Washington I've found.. but the streets are narrow with big drainage ditches on either side. Makes street parking iffy.

We eliminated lots of townhomes in our search due to zero street parking nearby.

Also.. someone already said it.. but the train. If you live in that zone between I-10 and Washington.. it will wake you up every night if you're a light sleeper.

The parking is a really bad downside, even a couple would have 2 cars, which would automatically fill your parking area. I like to have friends over to watch movies and hang out, I would hate for them to park by the ditch on a rainy day. From the input you guys gave me, I will probably either look for a real house or find a bigger condo with better parking. I like the smart answers I get on this board compared to other boards.

Mr. Smarts,

What is your price range? You could probably get into a nice home, although it may be smaller and older than what you think you want, very close in the area. Have you looked in Timbergrove? I think you can still get in there for under $200K. Try Oak Forest. Seach HAR.com in as many ways as you can. Drive the neighborhoods that interest you. Everyday on your way home from work, take a different route. Just please, whatever you do, exhaust all of your options before you buy. I looked for almost a year before I found the house for me (although, I was lucky and didn't have to find a house and move right away).

The easiest way to lose money is to buy something, and then decide in a couple of years that this is not what you want or need. All the money you spent on closing costs, inspections, and the INTEREST which comprises the majority of your payments for the first 5-10 years (depending on your loan), will be down the drain.

My fiance is a realtor, she has been helping me look for place. But her input is skewed because she really wanted the urban life in a condo. I'm going to search HAR for those places you mentioned.

Thanks.

GOODNESS you read a lot in that post. It would actually make quite a bit of snense for them to move the tracks or lower them below grade. Ghet off your high and mighty boxcar.

I've heard for a while there was something about a "Quiet Zone" in this area. I can't find much info on it. There's an old HAIF Forum here, and a realtor-biased article here, but they are outdated.

This seems to imply that the Quiet Zone may be in place by the end of May.

HOWEVER, my friend is buying a house in that area, and her realtor showed her all kinds of articles about the Quiet Zone and told her it was a "done deal." The realtor did say that there is "one guy" that is defiant of the new law (which she claims was in place as of April 1), who still blows his horn.

She moves into her house in a couple of weeks, so we'll see.

There doesn't really seem to be a definitive answer anywhere, except from those who actually live there!

I've heard for a while there was something about a "Quiet Zone" in this area. I can't find much info on it. There's an old HAIF Forum here, and a realtor-biased article here, but they are outdated.

My realtor told me the same thing -

HOWEVER, my friend is buying a house in that area, and her realtor showed her all kinds of articles about the Quiet Zone and told her it was a "done deal." The realtor did say that there is "one guy" that is defiant of the new law (which she claims was in place as of April 1), who still blows his horn.

She moves into her house in a couple of weeks, so we'll see.

There doesn't really seem to be a definitive answer anywhere, except from those who actually live there!

One thing is for sure, they still blow there horn during the day. I was there this past weekend near heights and washington and those trains sure where blowing as hard as they could. I could barely carry on a conversation with a neighbor in one of those condos.

If its a quiet zone it might between night hours. 10pm-7am, just a guess. I haven't researched anything.

GOODNESS you read a lot in that post. It would actually make quite a bit of snense for them to move the tracks or lower them below grade. Ghet off your high and mighty boxcar.

lol. I felt the same way, but I didnt want to get snappy with anyone since i'm new here.

• The title was changed to Is This Urban Condo/Loft/Home Worth The 185k Asking Price? Washington Corridor

Archived