JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

1 minute ago, Triton said:

Coworker at Williams Tower told me the observation deck there is still open to the public... didn't know that...

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

I haven't been there either so cant confirm it's actually open to the public. I've only been to our offices there.

• Like 1

There used to be an observation deck on the 51st floor that faced towards the west. It was later closed to the public, and I think the space has been leased out. The only observation deck I can think of around town isn't really even in the city: the San Jacinto Monument.

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM, MarkHouston said:

Was driving 45s bound from 610 north last night, and notice a strip of white lights and a bigger blue light on top of Chase tower. My eyes are bad, but I thought they finally put the Chase logo on the top.....they were just regular bulbs. Wishful thinking 

I saw it myself the other night on the drive in from 45. Not sure what is going on. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am sad that I don't get to see these things you all talk about now that I've moved from the east side to near Cypress. The only view of downtown I get to see now is when I'm taking 249 to Beltway 8 east, and then I can barely make out an image similar to the opening of Gilligan's Island lol. Been here 6 years and having a massive downtown withdrawal. I will take that trip down there and make it an all day trip so I can visit each building, hug it and give it a big ol' slippery kiss. :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The closing of the branch in December will mark Chase's final departure from its namesake tower. Opened in 1982, the 75-story JPMorgan Chase Tower, formerly the Texas Commerce Tower, is both the tallest building in downtown Houston and the tallest building in Texas, according to the World Atlas. The company moved its offices from the building over a decade ago, Hassell said.

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Triton said:

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

Then perhaps a name change?

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, swtsig said:

you mean having a building referred to by its address confuses you?

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

I agree. I feel the same and don’t get me started on downtown block numbers. Those are even more confusing to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

Wow, I actually see what you mean.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

Often times they don't even include the street name.  "Where are you going?"  "6141"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not one of I.M. Pei's most eye-catching buildings, but it's nice.   (Earlier on, didn't he design the Brutalist Boston City Hall?)  Perhaps the people who don't like the Houston building would prefer one of his group's later buildings in Dallas, which I think is/was named Fountain Place -- more glass and a non-flat top.  I always rather fancied his building in Hong Kong that (I think) was named after the Bank of China, at least for a while.  I was told that it was designed with Chinese feng shui principles in mind ... i.e., glass facing both the mountainside and the ocean, such that (supposedly) a dragon could pass through it coming down to the ocean.    

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Report: Chase Tower to be sold to Hines, Cerberus for $627 million

Hines is buying Houston's tallest office tower and an adjacent building in a partnership with Cerberus Capital for an estimated $627 million, according to a report from industry publication Real Estate Alert.

In a deal that will give Cerberus a 90 percent interest in the complex and Hines a 10 percent stake, the companies have agreed to buy the 75-story, 1.7 million-square-foot 600 Travis (formerly known as JPMorgan Chase Tower) and the adjacent 20-story, 407,000-square-foot Chase Center at 601 Travis, the report said, citing anonymous sources.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Report-Chase-Tower-to-be-sold-in-627-million-14028442.php

Here's to still hoping for that reclad of this building.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, swtsig said:

Not sure about recladding but I’ve been told the building will undergo major renovations. 

Very cool. Seems like the owners of these downtown buildings are worried tenants will leave for newer buildings forcing these to renovate.

why would they reclad? Seems fine to me.

• Like 4

Since big common spaces are all the rage these days, if there's anything that will be done outside it would likely be taking up part of the plaza for... IDK, "creative space" or even more food options?...

• Like 2