JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

• 2 weeks later...

They haven't released the plans yet, but I imagine they are coming soon since construction has been underway for about a month now.  Judging by the scaffolding around the entire building, they're likely removing the paneling on the first floor. 

I don't think it makes sense for restaurant/retail on the Travis street side as that's where the tunnel connection and escalator are.  I'm wondering if they get creative and take the successes from Capitol Tower to open up Travis, so you have much more natural light/direct access to the tunnel from the street level. 

I do think that you have restaurant/retail space on both Texas and Milam street.  Texas side engages Texas Tower's active ground-level and Milam engages Jones Hall which Chase Tower was originally designed to complement.  My hope is the Plaza area will be re-imagined to support/serve as gateway to Theater District and be activated for building tenants/Jones Hall private events similar to what the new Lynn Wyatt Square aims to do for Alley Theater.  

I've heard rumors the price tag is between $20-30m so I'm optimistic this will exceed expectations with Hines involved.  They are working to rebrand this area of downtown as the 'North District' so this renovation must fit the legacy they are building.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

They haven't released the plans yet, but I imagine they are coming soon since construction has been underway for about a month now.  Judging by the scaffolding around the entire building, they're likely removing the paneling on the first floor. 

I don't think it makes sense for restaurant/retail on the Travis street side as that's where the tunnel connection and escalator are.  I'm wondering if they get creative and take the successes from Capitol Tower to open up Travis, so you have much more natural light/direct access to the tunnel from the street level. 

I do think that you have restaurant/retail space on both Texas and Milam street.  Texas side engages Texas Tower's active ground-level and Milam engages Jones Hall which Chase Tower was originally designed to complement.  My hope is the Plaza area will be re-imagined to support/serve as gateway to Theater District and be activated for building tenants/Jones Hall private events similar to what the new Lynn Wyatt Square aims to do for Alley Theater.  

I've heard rumors the price tag is between $20-30m so I'm optimistic this will exceed expectations with Hines involved.  They are working to rebrand this area of downtown as the 'North District' so this renovation must fit the legacy they are building.

Great info. Another factor is that Hines has moved its HQ to the new tower across the street, so they are really picking the decor for their own house, not somebody else's. Critical to recruiting talent to a global development firm in the 21st century is a great urban environment, just like 40 years ago it was "have an awesome mall next door" when they moved into Transco.

Per HBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/28/its-official-hines-pe-firm-buy-houstons-tallest.html

Renovations are planned for 600 Travis Street, which is the tallest building in Texas at 75 stories and contains more than 1.7 million square feet with 22,237 square feet of retail space. Improvements will include major updates to the lobby and exterior plaza area; the addition of connected, collaborative workspaces as well as a new conference center; and enhancements to other building common elements, per the release. The plaza's focal point — Joan Miró's "Personage and Birds" sculpture — will remain on-site. St. Louis-based architecture firm HOK is designing the renovations.

"Our goal is to enhance 600 Travis’ position as one of the top office buildings in the southwest," John Mooz, senior managing director at Hines, said in the release. "With significantly more activated common space and opportunities, the repositioning will promote greater tenant attraction and retention and will be a testament to Hines’ unmatched ability to maintain an asset’s architectural heritage while fostering a contemporary image for the modern workplace."

There was an RFP to a few architectural firms for concepts last year, but I hadn't paid attention to which firm was awarded. Looks to be HOK per this article. 

Edited by jermh
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a picture but, the scaffolding on the Jones Hall side of the building was blown over by wind gust about 4:30-5pm yesterday. Most of it fell on to the ramp to the basement garage, and by 8ish the company that put it up was onsite removing the collapsed scaffolding debris. All but about confirmed my previously irrational fear and not being a fan of walking under it. ;)

Edited by jermh
typing is hard.
  • Like 1

If they are expanding the ground floor, wonder how high and far they're going to do it. Hope it's something akin to the Texas tower retail, that would be a great addition to this part of Downtown. 

Hoping we get some sort of information soon, especially considering it might be a major renovation to the tallest tower in Texas. 

It honestly feels like Hines is changing this whole area by itself, it's insane how much they're adding. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

Honestly, I don’t think that this is “construction” related. They do this when they do work on the exterior of building to protect the sidewalk below. Maybe they are cleaning, repairing/replacing damaged granite, or doing something more than just washing the windows. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wxman said:

It's sad that our state's tallest building is also one of the ugliest. There is nothing special about this building at all. Just a tall, gray, bland, box. 

I can't believe you criticized something designed by I M Pei. How dare you! Everyone knows that the designers of the late 70's were the best ever, and we've been on a long downhill slide ever since, with nothing of note appearing for 40 years.😆😁🤣😂

• Like 1

I think Pei once stated that they were going for a certain effect with this building and it didn't come out the way they wanted it. It does look good when you're sitting on the Pierce Elevated and the evening sun is hitting it, makes the granite kind of sparkle and the windows shimmer. Otherwise yeah, it's just a mass.

It looked like they are working down the building, drilling the same holes they did on the ground level from the top via the window washing platforms. I snapped some photos with the telephoto lens from the Rice garage roof last week, but I never really looked to see if they came out. If they suck, I'll get out there today or tomorrow and take some more.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

AFAIK, it;s still the tallest 5 sided building in the world.

how far do they go with these?

I now have an irrational desire to make the tallest 243 sided building in the world.

them: "but sir, it is only 1 story tall."

me: "I know, but it is the tallest 243 sided building in the world, and I demand recognition!"

Edited by samagon
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:57 AM, hindesky said:

Before and After for the new siding anchors.

cW1OcXd.jpg

zjKQuO8.jpg

I think they’re gonna cover this tower in glass. Similar to what was done to the federal building on the other side of downtown 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1