JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

I believe the best place to erect an observation tower would be where the Estates at Memorial Heights Apartments are currently located, If they put METRORail on Washington headed towards bullet train station from downtown. The tower would be located just across the bayou from the Ismaili Center and in between Lower Heights district and Regent Square with undindered views of downtown and all the glory of Buffalo Bayou. Not to mention capture every skyline and even the new beltway bridge. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

I believe the best place to erect an observation tower would be where the Estates at Memorial Heights Apartments are currently located, If they put METRORail on Washington headed towards bullet train station from downtown. The tower would be located just across the bayou from the Ismaili Center and in between Lower Heights district and Regent Square with undindered views of downtown and all the glory of Buffalo Bayou. Not to mention capture every skyline and even the new beltway bridge. 

Would you settle for this instead?

bcEEQSz.jpg

zAmKW5c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd still kill for a destination observation experience of some kind downtown, and something with real kinetics would be the kicker.  

I'd demo Avenida de las Americas between Capitol and Texas (at the old, proposed Nau Center lot), and center a tower or wheel attraction on the pedestrian Avenida.  

Dopey me would group it with a flying theater attraction ( a la "Wings over Washington":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTVVuin0VTw&list=PLZ4DzRrHWnmIzJZvn4MEUY2myD9LzMNwO&index=4 ), and a large, adventure mirror maze showcasing Houston history ( http://mirrormazesint.com/ ).  

I'd otherwise love for Houston to get the first SkySpire:  http://www.usthrillrides.com/products/skyspire/. (or, via ThrillCorp, whose Thrillocity is intriguing: http://www.thrillcorp.com/products/ ) 

Years back, a sorta-French Quarter-themed one was proposed for New Orleans:  https://www.cladglobal.com/CLADnews/architecture-design/Skyspire-and-Conrad-Hotel-touted-for-New-Orleans-World-Trade-Center-redevelopment/314620?source=grid

And not surprisingly, a developer has been trying to get a "Skyplex" going in Orlando:  https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/12/14/skyplex-developer-look-to-2018-for-lots-of.html .

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to JPMorgan Chase Tower
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I actually walked by here today and some of the tape read 'rebar'.  Hines and Cerberus may be in the early stages of their redevelopment of the plaza and ground level.  These holes are being drilled on Travis/Texas side.  They might be extending the first floor out on both these sides to add restaurant space for lease.  These sidewalks are pretty wide especially on Travis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

I actually walked by here today and some of the tape read 'rebar'.  Hines and Cerberus may be in the early stages of their redevelopment of the plaza and ground level.  These holes are being drilled on Travis/Texas side.  They might be extending the first floor out on both these sides to add restaurant space for lease.  These sidewalks are pretty wide especially on Travis. 

Thanks! I suspected it to be the start of some capital improvements. It'll be interesting to see which architect was chosen and what they proposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

I believe I've heard of this so called "restaurant" thing before. interesting concept... Where people get together and potentially consume food in a social setting...

Hines is ahead of its time!!

jokes jokes

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• The title was changed to JPMorgan Chase Tower
7 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

What is downtown like right now? Is anyone walking around? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Wow. I figure the residents are at least out getting exercise, like every other neighborhood in America, but that's probably more on the north end.

At least from what I've seen, there's a lot of people out on bikes.  The downtown 5-lane streets are amazing to bike on when there are no cars.  The Columbia Tap trail is always busy with people as well, about half biking and half walking

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Wait. So, you’d gather with people?  To eat...food?  Prepared by others?  Ridiculous. 

Yes. It was popular during the old times, before the beer plague hit us. Wonderful times they were!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1