JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

Not impressed at all. Personally, someone better than me should construct a miniature scale model of downtown or Houston within the observation view and place it in a case in the observation tower in order to have people try to place different landmark locations. Ash, birch or even Aspen hardwood floors would work better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This press release came in earlier today.  I thought the HAIFers were onto this a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't find the original thread.

HIGHEST PUBLIC SPACE IN HOUSTON GETTING A MAJOR MAKEOVER

post-1-0-95002000-1383888840_thumb.jpg

(HOUSTON) - The Houston office of Hines, the international real estate firm, along with partner and building owner, Prime Asset Management, announced today that construction has commenced on the new sky lobby design at 600 Travis (formerly JPMorgan Chase Tower) in downtown Houston.

Designed by Gensler, the two-story sky lobby will include: new museum-quality wood flooring instead of carpet; a new ceiling with more design and lighting features; added seating; and new video displays.  Offering the highest public view of Houston from the sky lobby's 60th floor, the observation area is currently closed for renovation and is scheduled to reopen in early 2014.

Developed by Hines in 1982, the 75-story tower is Texas' tallest office building.  Designed by I.M. Pei & Partners, 600 Travis contains 1.7 million square feet. 

President of Prime Asset Management Rafic A. Bizri said, "600 Travis is one of the most iconic towers in downtown.  We look forward to working with Gensler and Hines on this dynamic redesign, and know Hines will continue to provide best-in-class property management services to the tenants during this renovation."

600 Travis is 91 percent leased to a number of world-class companies, including: Andrews Kurth; LINN Energy; Locke Lord LLP; Winstead; Breitburn Energy; Eaton; Morgan Stanley; and JPMorgan Chase & Co; among others.

Rush Durkin, senior property manager, commented, "Renovating and modernizing the sky lobby will add to the appeal of the iconic tower, and provide a fresh new vantage point for existing and new tenants, as well as visitors to the building."

I wasn't aware that the JP Morgan Chase name was dropped. When did this happen?

That's exactly what I came here to find out. Saw this posted on my FB news feed. Article above fails to mention it as originally the Texas Commerce Bank Building

Edited by djrage

Someone on skyscraperpage gave a good example of a building in Chicago facade changing andthe result was much better than how it was previously.

First Canandian Place in Toronto. The building was recladded, and has a more clean look to it now. Something like this for JP Morgan Chase Tower would be nice.

Before:

2389915597_8e0f11aec1_b.jpg

After:

6458476891_81364d3b63_b.jpg

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

First Canandian Place in Toronto. The building was recladded, and has a more clean look to it now. Something like this for JP Morgan Chase Tower would be nice.

Before:

2389915597_8e0f11aec1_b.jpg

After:

6458476891_81364d3b63_b.jpg

Yea that was it and I would like something like that to be done to the JP Morgan Chase Tower too. It just looks so much better.

Dont know if it was mentioned but they are renovating the sky lobby.

If I could add anything, I would add a super tall antenna or spire, just to reclaim the "tallest building west of the mississippi" title and piss off all those friendly people in LA :lol:

Some places don't count antennae in height counts it would have to be a spire or crown.

^ I doubt it.  San Fransico's Transbay will be 1,070 feet in an extremely overcrowded and EXPENSIVE market.  Houston - as we've seen during this current boom is far more content to build 20-30 floor towers with adjacent 1,000 space parking structure out on the periphery than to build multi-tennant highrises in downtown.  I believe we really need to see more density here before someone wants to pony-up the cash to build a 70+ floor tower (or even a 50 floor tower with an embellishment atop it).

• Like 2

^ I doubt it.  San Fransico's Transbay will be 1,070 feet in an extremely overcrowded and EXPENSIVE market.  Houston - as we've seen during this current boom is far more content to build 20-30 floor towers with adjacent 1,000 space parking structure out on the periphery than to build multi-tennant highrises in downtown.  I believe we really need to see more density here before someone wants to pony-up the cash to build a 70+ floor tower (or even a 50 floor tower with an embellishment atop it).

As a developer stated from Chicago: Houston is where Chicago was 20 years ago.

Meaning Houston is densifying .

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1

^ And that's fantastic!  Particularly for people in my line of work...

The more the merrier.  Although I still think we're 4-5 50 or so floor towers away from seeing something larger pop-up.

And honestly the best chance we have of seeing a major 300m + building is the Chevron campus.  They have the money and power to easily facilitate something like that.

• Like 1

^ And that's fantastic!  Particularly for people in my line of work...

The more the merrier.  Although I still think we're 4-5 50 or so floor towers away from seeing something larger pop-up.

And honestly the best chance we have of seeing a major 300m + building is the Chevron campus.  They have the money and power to easily facilitate something like that.

Yea, so far it is a rumor Chevron will add another tower to it's campus.

The developer from Chicago is the guy behind hanover highrise in BLVD Place and also the one in charge of the 30 story highrise in montrose.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...