Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.

Houston19514

20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I have walked by this several times.  It's ugly.  It looks like a U-store-it location.  The nuns should be embarrassed and the architect should be mortified.

motivator-mortification.jpg&f=1

Flagellation gets my vote.  For the architect, not me. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

In fairness, the blue will turn gray before it's done, slightly improving it, but yes, it is still hideous.

The only way it could be even remotely saved at this point is to repaint it in the colors of the Westin to be a little less jarring and fit in better with the 500 Crawford apartments and the stadium.

It's so bad in so many ways:  the cheap-looking orange panels, the oddly shaped towers, the mix of round and rectangular windows, the cheap concrete panel construction, etc.  When I see things like this I always wonder how it made it through the design process without someone crying "Stop!  This is really hideous!"

• Like 5

Everyone take a deep breath!    The first choice was to renovate the Clayton building.   The architects came back with a plan to include 4 classrooms and some office space.  That was the best they could do with the interior of the existing building.    It simply did not meet the current and future needs of the school. 

Check out the plan for the new building:

https://uploads.strikinglycdn.com/files/e3bb2996-8287-4384-9142-b16390aec3a8/Campus Map.pdf

• Like 1

My disappointment with  this plan is that they could have left the Clayton building and eventually restored it for posterity and its historical value, and added a building as large as what they are constructing now on the northeast corner of their property where they have placed the old house that sits neglected. I just think that they rushed into this without truly seeking the best solution. Think how nice it would have been to have a repurposed Nicholas Clayton building as a visitors building in the new convention district. I'm sure it would have been a popular spot for visitors.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bobruss said:

My disappointment with  this plan is that they could have left the Clayton building and eventually restored it for posterity and its historical value, and added a building as large as what they are constructing now on the northeast corner of their property where they have placed the old house that sits neglected. I just think that they rushed into this without truly seeking the best solution. Think how nice it would have been to have a repurposed Nicholas Clayton building as a visitors building in the new convention district. I'm sure it would have been a popular spot for visitors.

The nuns (and to a much larger extent, the Church) don't really care what you, or me, or anyone else thinks. There were, and may still be, plans to tear down the old co-cathedral building. Once the Church decides a building doesn't meet the needs any longer, it's likely to go away. They are in the business of saving souls, not architecture.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ross said:

The nuns (and to a much larger extent, the Church) don't really care what you, or me, or anyone else thinks. 

Such a pity that an institution that draws is legitimacy, funding and, frankly it's very existence from the community in which it resides won't, in your view, listen to the preservationists and urbanists from that same community.  In your view, has the Christian Church become that distant and uncaring of the community to which it is a part?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

...and the city gave the church the old historic home, to use.  Well, after it is used, for however long they are required to maintain it, there is no doubt in my mind what will happen to that part of our cities architectural history. B'bye! 

These structures just become old, disposable buildings. But who can blame them.  They are not concerned about the soul of the herd...just the souls of the sheep.