Champion Forest Baptist Church At 15555 Stuebner Airline Rd.

el chileno

• 2 weeks later...

This might be out of line, but I dont understand why churches like Lakewood and the new catholic church in downtown spend millions upon millions to build their churches. Seems to me that a simple church with adequate facilities would serve the same purpose as a mega church with expensive architectural designs to it.

They sure look pretty though.

This might be out of line, but I dont understand why churches like Lakewood and the new catholic church in downtown spend millions upon millions to build their churches. Seems to me that a simple church with adequate facilities would serve the same purpose as a mega church with expensive architectural designs to it.

But the same can be said about office buildings, shopping centers, restaurants, airports, performing arts centers, museums, hospitals, stadia, convention centers, etc etc etc.

But the same can be said about office buildings, shopping centers, restaurants, airports, performing arts centers, museums, hospitals, stadia, convention centers, etc etc etc.

except to some, when gettin' jesus involved, it justs seems wrong

Edited by sevfiv

Well, all those are used to generate money..... but I guess the same can be said about churches.

:D

Edited by Mr. Smarts

A lot of money was spent on the inside of Lakewood, but this includes cables, wires, and other components that were upgraded--a lot. There's the monitors (3 large ones and a few amller ones) and of course the waterfall-like features. A quick note about the water features--they are under two of the screens and if it was a seating section, the people there wouldn't be able to see anything. I don't know how much more the water features cost than, say, just a banner over what would be consistenly empty sections, but as a member, I am glad they went with the water features.

If anything, aside from the Lakewood sign on the outside of the church and the blue lights that highlight it, I thought that the architecture was pretty minimal and low key.

Here's what I want to know--how many people here have been inside Lakewood more than once and gotten a chance to go all the way through the building. Contrary to popular beliefs, the only signs that are left of the bulding being a sports arena are the complete upper seating section and most of the lower bowl. Most of one end of the building (which would have been the behind-the-basket seats) was gutted and the stage, orchestra pit, and choir stands are there now. The old Lakewood had no permanent choir stands.

Also, the old spaces under the floor that were locker rooms are all kids classrooms. The additional building is classrooms, a chapel for smaller functions, and another gathering area with internet-connected computers (Macs :) )

I can try to answer any other questions people may have about the building.

Well, to a certain extent this isn't true anymore with the use of "modern" building materials, but one of the arguments for the high cost of building churches has always been the longevity of the structure.

• Like 1

Well, to a certain extent this isn't true anymore with the use of "modern" building materials, but one of the arguments for the high cost of building churches has always been the longevity of the structure.

I can certainly see that. Some of the newer churches like the one of 59 north, La Luz something, looks like it was made by the Greeks. It looks nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

One reason of course is longevity like HeightsGuy said. The other, as I have been told, has to do with creating an inspirational space. This idea goes back at least to the Gothic churches of late medieval Europe.

I think the interior of the new co-cathedral is gorgeous and an outstanding example of elegance and restraint. That's not to say I don't appreciate the intricate beauty of the raredos of Byzantine churches - even modern ones like St. George's in West U.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

except to some, when gettin' jesus involved, it justs seems wrong

Yep...WWJD, right? Would He build a million dollar church or would he feed and clothe the needy? I recall seeing an interview with W.A. Criswell, pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, back in the late 80's. I don't recall the subject of the interview, but do remember he gave it from his spacious and very, very expensively decorated office. Whenever I see this sort of thing I think about the Canterbury Tales and how some things never really change.

Jayzus is the easy way out and the explanation for all things.

Pray for someone sick and he/she dies, then Jayzus wanted a new soldier in heaven.

Pray for someone sick and he/she recovers, then Jayzus answered your prayers.

In a nutshell, Christianity (aka "Jayzus Punch") is a no-lose religion.

Jayzus is the easy way out and the explanation for all things.

Pray for someone sick and he/she dies, then Jayzus wanted a new soldier in heaven.

Pray for someone sick and he/she recovers, then Jayzus answered your prayers.

In a nutshell, Christianity (aka "Jayzus Punch") is a no-lose religion.

You've obviously never run into a real fire and brimstone preacher. :lol:

That's not too hard to believe, though. Fire and brimstone has gone out of style in favor of prosperity gospel. Making people feel good pays better.

I once visited this church in Sugar Land for a conference back in 2009. It was huge: this rock-concert-style auditorium (no stadium seating, though), a large lobby, six floors, a coffee shop, and a gift shop.

A few years later, I watched the "Growtivational" video on YouTube (see above), which, even for my own college church service, hit a little bit too close to home (not to extremes, though). I switched to a smaller Bible study a few months later.

Edited by IronTiger

Prosperity Gospel is such a joke.

I agree with you on "leaders" who take advantage of their flock. But I have absolutely no sympathy for the idiots who flock.

I know smart people.. intelligent people.... successful people..... then one day I hear about what pastor or preacher or church they follow.... and I literally lose all respect for them. I just don't get it. I do my best to prevent myself from knowing who or what anyone follows or believes in..... because I might end up losing all respect for them as a person. If I look up to you as the V.P. of my company.... then find out you follow Benny Hinn, John Hagee or the DayStar Network..... then... sorry.... I think you are a complete fool and I lost all respect for you.

Anyway, so do you think that anyone who believes in and supported the Bush Doctrine has the right to any opinion on the new Obama Doctrine? (I don't).

Praise Jayzus!

• The title was changed to Champion Forest Baptist Church At 15555 Stuebner Airline Rd.