Greens Bayou

s.bucy

Looking for info. on Greens Bayou in the 1940s. My father was living with a family, the Clay's, when he was a teenager. Mrs. Clay owned or managed a nursery (trees & plants) in the area. Mr. Clay built their house, a large log house. At the time I'm sure it was a ruarl area north west of Houston. Does anyone remember this area?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Looking for info. on Greens Bayou in the 1940s. My father was living with a family, the Clay's, when he was a teenager. Mrs. Clay owned or managed a nursery (trees & plants) in the area. Mr. Clay built their house, a large log house. At the time I'm sure it was a ruarl area north west of Houston. Does anyone remember this area?

My dad said that we lived in Greens Bayou when I was about a year old. Does it still exist?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
My dad said that we lived in Greens Bayou when I was about a year old. Does it still exist?

I talked to my dad last weekend. He told me that the name of the place that he worked for when we lived in Greens Bayou was called Todd Shipbuilding. He said that we lived there when I was about a year old. I'm now 48. I don't think that that company would still be there after that many years.

I talked to my dad last weekend. He told me that the name of the place that he worked for when we lived in Greens Bayou was called Todd Shipbuilding. He said that we lived there when I was about a year old. I'm now 48. I don't think that that company would still be there after that many years.

I did the research for you...

http://www.sname.org/sections/texas/April2...0in%20Texas.pdf

Brown Shipbuilding was an emergency yard, built in 1941 at the

junction of Green's Bayou and the Houston Ship Channel, with $9mm

in funding from the Navy.

After the war, the yard was sold to Todd Shipyards and became

Todd's Houston division (not to be confused with Todd Houston

Shipbuilding, which closed after the war). Until recently it was KBR

• 9 months later...

My cousin told me that he found out that Greens Bayou is on the north side of the ship channel where the Washburn Tunnel comes out. On the map it looks like when you get over to the south side you are in Pasadena on Richey Street. That's the picture on TexasFreeway.Com that I saw of State Highway 225 of the Richey Street exit. You can see the sign of what used to be Timmers/Boyd Mullen Chevrolet. I didn't know that Pasadena was so close to that part of Houston that IH-10 goes through.

• 7 months later...

Is Green's Bayou near Channelview?

• 4 months later...
  • 13 years later...