me too. It's not that he's bad, he's just not as good as advertised.

Oye oye oye. Too much hype because he was QB of NBC's favorite team, Notre Dame.

If Calvin Johnson, wide reciever from Georgia Tech, is still available at the 8th spot in the draft, should the Texans draft him in the first round? (he just announced today that he's in the draft).

Oye oye oye. Too much hype because he was QB of NBC's favorite team, Notre Dame.

If Calvin Johnson, wide reciever from Georgia Tech, is still available at the 8th spot in the draft, should the Texans draft him in the first round? (he just announced today that he's in the draft).

Oooh, very interesting. I don't know. I trust Kubiak and Richard Smith in drafting. But even if we did, I wouldn't say it's a bad choice. I'd be happy about it. But then again, the first round is not hard to draft, I believe it's what you do in the rest of the rounds.

-----------------

EDIT: If I just heard right, Spencer Tillman on 790 said Calvin Johnson is the best WR he's seen in 10 or 12 years. If that's true, I don't think we'll be seeing him at 8.

Edited by lockmat

Well, with Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Alan Branch, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn (among others) being in this draft, there is a chance that we could get Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russell. Not every team ahead of us needs a stud QB or WR, plus, Vick's future in Atlanta is not certain right now.

Well, with Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Alan Branch, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn (among others) being in this draft, there is a chance that we could get Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russell. Not every team ahead of us needs a stud QB or WR, plus, Vick's future in Atlanta is not certain right now.

Don't forget Adrian Peterson (RB) from Oklahoma, Glenn Dorsey (DT) from LSU, and Gaines Adams (DE) from Clemson. Those three, plus the ones Trae mentioned, are the current list to choose from for the Texans because since we're #8 in the draft, at least two of them will be left at the eighth spot. And if anybody is drafted higher than those guys, the Texans have a chance to make a steal at the draft.

I expect Russel, Smith, and Quinn to be drafted in the top five. (Russell to the Raiders, Smith to the Browns, and Quinn to Tampa Bay.) Anything else is a toss-up. I think the Texans are in a great position for a team that finished 6-10 last season when it comes to next season.

Don't forget Adrian Peterson (RB) from Oklahoma, Glenn Dorsey (DT) from LSU, and Gaines Adams (DE) from Clemson. Those three, plus the ones Trae mentioned, are the current list to choose from for the Texans because since we're #8 in the draft, at least two of them will be left at the eighth spot. And if anybody is drafted higher than those guys, the Texans have a chance to make a steal at the draft.

I expect Russel, Smith, and Quinn to be drafted in the top five. (Russell to the Raiders, Smith to the Browns, and Quinn to Tampa Bay.) Anything else is a toss-up. I think the Texans are in a great position for a team that finished 6-10 last season when it comes to next season.

Not that you were ripping him at all, in Trae's defense he said 'among others.'

When it comes to football, I admit, I don't know a ton of players that are outside of the media's spotlight (except for Texans players of course). And I don't know every teams needs, but I'd be extatic if we ended up with a Russel or Calvin Johnson. Of course I put those guys on a pedestal because I don't know college D and O-lineman.

The popular idea circulating in the media is that they are/should get a QB via free agency to seriously compete with David.

That's EXACTLY what we should do, if anything because Carr/Rosenfels' not that bad of a starter/backup combo either. I don't want to have to watch the Texans do that "transition year" things again. The time to draft a QB came and gone last year. It's time to focus of winning over .500 next season and seasons to come. Drafting a starter QB is just out of the question.

That's EXACTLY what we should do, if anything because Carr/Rosenfels' not that bad of a starter/backup combo either. I don't want to have to watch the Texans do that "transition year" things again. The time to draft a QB came and gone last year. It's time to focus of winning over .500 next season and seasons to come. Drafting a starter QB is just out of the question.

I agree. I just don't want it to be Jake Plummer. This is a horrible reason for not wanting him, but I'm just sick and tired of getting their left-overs. I'm all for it if it makes us a better team, but I won't be happy if they keep making these type of decisions until I see us above .500

Edited by lockmat

I might be the only guy on here that wouldn't mind David Carr back. I am all for more competition for his job and will be pleased if someone comes in and can be better than him. I of course want the team to take the next step forward and win more games, I just don't think they were there yet as a team this past year. Too many rookies starting and players on I.R. to overcome. I am also of the opinion though that too much emphasis is placed on the quarterback position in terms of making or breaking a teams shot at winning in the league these days. Sure the QB touches the ball on nearly every play and it's his job to distribute it. But he needs all the peices around him to work too. We had several games with no running game and others where we had no pass protection, plenty where AJ dropped numerous catchable balls. I think Eric Moulds was a bust this year and I don't think I've heard that anywhere. He doesn't seem to have the skills left to get down the field with speed anymore which is what should help open up our offense. Of course, that is mute if the quarterback has no time or pocket to even escape from. Of course this could be all on Carr's percieved lack of pocket presence and awareness. We all know you could look at it either way: it's on the injured o-line, or it's on the quarterback. I just won't be heartbroken if we have another great draft and free agent season and carr is still here, In that case I still see the team improving to .500 ball or better.

I seem to have become a David Carr apologist because I have become annoyed with the baseless arguements of the talking heads on the local talk radio. With there undying support for Vince Young(who is a division rival) and how he single handedly leads his team back in games when in 3 out of 5 games it's his defense that has forced the fumbles and picked up the interceptions late in games and VY finishes it off with a 10 yd touchdown run to be proclaimed as the Leader of the comebacks and the savior of humanity.

sorry for the long rant just wondering if I am alone in my support for whatever the Texans decide is right to get this team on the winning track

I might be the only guy on here that wouldn't mind David Carr back. I am all for more competition for his job and will be pleased if someone comes in and can be better than him. I of course want the team to take the next step forward and win more games, I just don't think they were there yet as a team this past year. Too many rookies starting and players on I.R. to overcome. I am also of the opinion though that too much emphasis is placed on the quarterback position in terms of making or breaking a teams shot at winning in the league these days. Sure the QB touches the ball on nearly every play and it's his job to distribute it. But he needs all the peices around him to work too. We had several games with no running game and others where we had no pass protection, plenty where AJ dropped numerous catchable balls. I think Eric Moulds was a bust this year and I don't think I've heard that anywhere. He doesn't seem to have the skills left to get down the field with speed anymore which is what should help open up our offense. Of course, that is mute if the quarterback has no time or pocket to even escape from. Of course this could be all on Carr's percieved lack of pocket presence and awareness. We all know you could look at it either way: it's on the injured o-line, or it's on the quarterback. I just won't be heartbroken if we have another great draft and free agent season and carr is still here, In that case I still see the team improving to .500 ball or better.

I seem to have become a David Carr apologist because I have become annoyed with the baseless arguements of the talking heads on the local talk radio. With there undying support for Vince Young(who is a division rival) and how he single handedly leads his team back in games when in 3 out of 5 games it's his defense that has forced the fumbles and picked up the interceptions late in games and VY finishes it off with a 10 yd touchdown run to be proclaimed as the Leader of the comebacks and the savior of humanity.

sorry for the long rant just wondering if I am alone in my support for whatever the Texans decide is right to get this team on the winning track

I support David Carr too, but I'm with the rest of the local media that says he doesn't have 'it'. My wish list for 2007 would be for the Texans to flourish with Carr at the helm, but I don't think it'll happen. It just seems that in order for Carr to succeed, everything around him must go right. Of course that goes back to what you and I have said, basically that football is a team sport, and in a sense, most everything must go right around any QB for them to succeed. And not just a qb, but most things must go right for any of the other 10 players to succeed.

And like you, I can't wait to see what Kubiak and Smith do this offseason. They've shown some promise that they can do good things in the draft and with free agents(in-season aquisitions)

I agree with you. I also think Carr has what it takes to be a great QB, and I also think the team had a lot of rookie starters. There was too much dependance on QB. Where was the running game and running protection before the Colts at the end of the season?

I also hope they're able to make more Demeco-caliber picks in the 2nd/later rounds.

I agree with you. I also think Carr has what it takes to be a great QB, and I also think the team had a lot of rookie starters. There was too much dependance on QB. Where was the running game and running protection before the Colts at the end of the season?

I also hope they're able to make more Demeco-caliber picks in the 2nd/later rounds.

The thing is, people blamed Carr's lack of success to the lack of a good running game all year and ironically the running game was pretty good a couple times yet Carr still did horribly. However, there were games when both the passing and running games played well at the same time. Weird.

"There's a sense the Texans, who spent the No. 1 pick on DE Mario Williams and signed DE Anthony Weaver to a lucrative deal last offseason, will nonetheless be looking to address the defensive line early in this April's draft. The Texans could be compelled to draft a defensive tackle on the draft's first day; 2005 first-rounder Travis Johnson has been a major disappointment inside. Also, the team could look to add another pass rusher. Antwan Peek is an unrestricted free agent, and he may not be re-signed."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/new...%3fid%3d2724078

"There's a sense the Texans, who spent the No. 1 pick on DE Mario Williams and signed DE Anthony Weaver to a lucrative deal last offseason, will nonetheless be looking to address the defensive line early in this April's draft. The Texans could be compelled to draft a defensive tackle on the draft's first day; 2005 first-rounder Travis Johnson has been a major disappointment inside. Also, the team could look to add another pass rusher. Antwan Peek is an unrestricted free agent, and he may not be re-signed."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/new...%3fid%3d2724078

I don't think it would look bad if we drafted another D-lineman on the first day. Who cares, ya know? As long as it's not one of the first two rounds.

I would love to see Jake Plummer, or Jeff Garcia in a Texans inform.

Reason why they bench Plummer and had low stats, becuase the Broncos changed offense corrindator. They wanted a pocket quarterback for the new scheme.

Plummer went 10-6, 10-6, and 13-3 when Kubiak was corrindinator.

Edited by houstonsemipro

I would love to see Jake Plummer, or Jeff Garcia in a Texans inform.

Reason why they bench Plummer and had low stats, becuase the Broncos changed offense corrindator. They wanted a pocket quarterback for the new scheme.

Plummer went 10-6, 10-6, and 13-3 when Kubiak was corrindinator.

I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia, but not Plummer. And you may be right about the coordinator, but I wouldn't take that chance.

Any news on who will land as as our new offensive "corrindinator"? Couldn't resist, sorry. :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

All jokes aside, I hope they have the coaching thing all settled before draft day on both offense and defense. Mike Sherman is reportedly talking to the Cardinals about being Mr. Head for the team.

True that, but how many people would stay in school an extra year knowing that they'd get a better chance at getting paid MORE millions the next year? > :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, all jokes aside; the Cowboys season was done on Thanksgiving. They just look like they ran out of gas. I was surprised the Cowboys made the playoffs, but they earned that right because of their mid-season play. The Texans look like they have more hope next season than the 'Boyz in my opinion. And what was up with that work "improbable?" The Seahawks are a better and more solid team that the 'Boyz. Where's the shock? Last season, the Seahawks won the NFC and made t to the Super Bowl. Where were the Boyz? Dallas is an offseason of successful free-agency from being a solid team, but signing Owens in the offseason isn't enough. Blame him all you want, but people need to remember that this was Romo's first season, and that will equal lack of experience. He'll be great, but he still needs work.

Also, the last draft wasn't bad; just risky. If we have a successful draft and focus on OL more than QB, I also expect the Texans to have a better record than the Boyz next season. The problem isn't the fact that Carr is QB. The problem is the fact that we depend too much on Carr/QB. There should be more answers/options. Stronger OL, develop a strong rushing game, AND develop a strong passing game. Create options. New Orleans has that. We have the capability with our current talent to add a small amount of players that could develop into that next season. Depth is key.

I am going to respectfully disagree. The Cowboys are a bit more talented than the Texans but the Cowboys coaching is not good whatsoever. Bad playcalling, horrible preperation, too many off the field antics, bad schemes developed by coaching, and an undisciplined team was what killed this team. This team should have been much better than 9-7. They have the players, but not the coaching. We could not rush the qb because Mike Zimmer and unimaganitive mind could not create any scheme to do so and BP doesn't like to blitz because he doesn't like to get burned. As a result, that killed our secondary which already had a safety who can't cover and another safety who's just learning the speed of the game. Also, we also had a couple players that half assed out there on the field like Bradie James for example. Offensively, we did not address the problem last offseason enough and that's the oline. Rivera is done and so is Flozell Adams. The only bright spots were Columbo and Gurode. We could not pass protect nor open holes for our running backs.

The game has passed Bill by. One coach is now gone and that is Zimmer and most Cowboy fans are ready to throw a parade. The other needs to remove himself as well and I really believe there's a good chance it will happen. I don't see the Texans having a better record than the Cowboys at all if we get the right coaching in tact.

Some rumors have Portis on the trade block and headed back to Denver, while others have him headed to Houston for a reunion with Gary Kubiak. Both of those scenarios would be positive for his value, but a return to Washington might not.

I've read this on Fabiano's fantasy mailbag (nfl.com)

Edited by houstonsemipro