Really, quarterback David Carr is the No. 1 problem. He just didn't get any better as the season progressed.

Once again I disagree. The Texans' need depth on both sides of the ball more than they need a new QB. They need better pass protection. They need a new offensive coordinator to replace the one going to Air Force that can create gutsy plays when they're needed (i.e. Boise State against Oklahoma. y'all see that?!)

Case in point. I don't think Carr is a worse QB than Rex Grossman. Carr has a better arm, gets more done on the field, and has more potential than Grossman in my opinion. But the Bears are in the playoffs and the Texans aren't. Why? The Bears are a COMPLETE team. The starters are strong, the secondary is strong, and the coaching staff has a lot to work with.

Getting a new QB will not be a quick fix for the Texans in my opinion. Regardless of who we have as QB, we need a better OL first. I bet you if Carr were the Bears QB with the team they have, they'd still make the playoffs because they're a total-package team. The Eagles as well. The Texans need to build to become a total package.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

David Carr is an inconsistant quarterback, and the Texans don't need that under the center. And I wouldn't blame everything on the O-line. Carr had enough time to throw the ball this year, and make plays. It was poor decisions Carr made throughout the entire season. He had time to sramble, but he rather stay in the pocket and get sacked.

Carr needs a change of address, just like Jake Plummer when he was playing for Cardinals traded to Denver.

Look for Jake Plummer's name this offseason in the newspapers.

I'll do a scouting report and let you know. I haven't watched or heard ANYTHING about him. Maybe I am running with the wrong crowd again.

EDIT: Ok, everything I am reading makes me like him. He kills ND in the Sugar Bowl, and you are right. he is HUGE. 6'6", 260. GTFOH ! MVP at the Sugar, been a starter for LSU for 2 years, SEC player of the year 2005, and he is smart also. Academic Honor Roll, First Team All SEC. Just think if he took that one more year to play ? I hear ya JASON. I hear ya. He is kinda like a Culpepper but I think he might be even better. I think I would do the last year and become a superstud, and try to win the National Championship, and get my Draft ranking up and get my signing bonus up.

Shoot, he could go top 3 this year. Now's the time to come out, don't make the Matt Leinart mistake.

Shoot, he could go top 3 this year. Now's the time to come out, don't make the Matt Leinart mistake.

What was Russell's injury that kept him out of the Peach Bowl last year ?

Edit: Just thinking back to the games we SHOULD have won this year, and basically had it "in the bag". Then the defense went to pieces during the 2 minute drills. Makes me sick to my stomach. We just didn't really have any LEADERS on either side of the ball. I think Demeco will step up next year to lead on Defense, now we just need a General on offense.

Before any of you start saying, "Demeco led the league, what are talking about?" I am talking about leading his own team, not individual effort. Make the whole team into flying, body sacrificing killers like Demeco is, MY GOD...........it will be beautiful.

Edited by TJones

It was ok to draft a ROOKIE QB last year but not this year ?

Yeah. Vince Young's not available in this draft. Can't think of any QBs in this draft capable of making that same or better impact as he did for the Titans.

Ridiculous, I used to like 'ol Jake the Snake, but he has floundered as a pro. He would make a good backup since he already knows Kubiak's system and could help a Rookie learn the system, but Jake ain't no starter for the Texans.

Like Isaid before, take an impact player, you got 2 good choices of QBs this year. I would take Quinn, because I personally think Smith is too short, but Doug Flutie was shorter, and did amazing things.

Agree 100% Jake could be a backup for David Carr; not the other way around. You'd need a much better veteran QB to come in if you wanted to replace Carr as starter. But Carr and Plummer would be a good answer for QB depth.

I think Quinn's overrated because he's Notre Dame, but that's just me. He hasn't proven that much to me. I can't see him pulling a Young and winning Offensive Rookie Of the Year. Even so, I don't expect him to be available for the Texans to fall for the hype with the 8th pick in the draft. And if he or ANY QB other than Troy Smith is drafted by the Texans, they need to be backup, not starter.

DJ, I think that like me, you haven't read up on Russell. That guy has had a stellar career at LSU so far.

I hope Russell stays in school and goes for a National Championship for his own sake. He does sound like a good player, but he sounds like he can be better and can prove a lot more. Go for the Heismann, yo. Young and Bush both have National Championships on their resumes, and were #1 and #2 on the Heismann race. Russell could make himself a lot more marketable if he stays one more year at LSU and gets more college hardware to his name.

If he were in the draft, he'd also be a great pick-up, but definately not starter. If we drafted Russell, we'd have the luxury of having Carr start, and Russell having a smoother transition to NFL football. Vince Young didn't have that luxury because the Titans got rid of McNair, but he did well anyway because he's Vince Young: Texas Longhorns' Vince Young. Best coaching staff in college football, hands down.

Look at Matt Leinart. He was SUPPOSED to be the backup to Kurt Warner, but Warner decided not to eat his Wheaties during the offseason, and Leinart was thrown into the lion's den. Man, the Cardinals sucked when you compare the record to the amount of talent they have. But Leinart would be better if he had at least a season to learn the position. That's what Russell could use once he gets to the NFL, but he'll probably get drafted to a team with an earlier pick who's looking for a QB.

Vince Young didn't have that luxury because the Titans got rid of McNair, but he did well anyway because he's Vince Young: Texas Longhorns' Vince Young. Best coaching staff in college football, hands down.

????

Are you serious? The best coaching staff in college football doesn't lose their last two and then squeak by a 6-6 Iowa team that finished 8th in the Big 10. I'll need more proof that Mack can win without VY before anointing him (or his staff) anything. Let's talk about Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, and Pete Carroll among others before Mack.

Well, I believe that we will get one more year of David Carr. He will learn Kubiak's offense solidly during the offseason. We just have too much invested in him to cut him, no matter how much dead weight he is. If we do try to court Plummer, he is the perfect guy to show Carr Kubiak's system, where to look and when to look for it during the play. You have to keep in mind that having Kubiak as the new coach was just like Carr having a rookie season again. A shake up like that, installing an entire new system for a team is not going to improve your team to Super Bowl status the first year. I think the Texans are right on track where they were supposed to be, given that there were 2 or possibly 3 games they actually should have won this season, but a breakdown occurred and we blew the game. The Texans will tighten up as a team next year, because they acually have a desire to win now, and know they have the talent, barring a couple of positions, to get the job done. I will do a little predicting and say that the Texans WILL be in the playoffs next year with a few decent draft picks to plug some holes. I am officially off the "We need a QB" scenario, get a couple of great O-linemen, another D-line stud, and a WR, and a couple of Vets to help bring along the younger players.

????

Are you serious? The best coaching staff in college football doesn't lose their last two and then squeak by a 6-6 Iowa team that finished 8th in the Big 10. I'll need more proof that Mack can win without VY before anointing him (or his staff) anything. Let's talk about Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, and Pete Carroll among others before Mack.

It's the other way around. Vince Young is Vince Young because of the coaches he's had since Madison. The Longhorns' recruiting program is just phenomenal as well. Every QB under Brown has started in the NFL or became a coach of some kind in college. Colt McCoy's no fluke either; he's probably gonna be a top-10 draft pick should he stay three more years at UT. And QB aside, his offense and defensive depth is the total package. Brown's staff knows how to make good players great and will make more NFL ready graduates.

Meyer can coach, but isn't a national champion yet. Carroll and Tressel however have a strong arguement going though. And when I think Carroll, I think Leinart, White, and Bush. What makes Brown stand out between the other two though is the amount of high school recruiting and scouting success he has with Texas high school football; the best high school football on earth hands down.

Yo TJones, should the Texans get the question of depth, protection, and good OC answered, I agree that they may be in the playoffs next season.

Rick Smith (the Texans GM) thinks that David Carr is part of the problem:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...g_Show_Podcast

He stated that they were not pleased or comfortable with David's play throughout the season. There were things that Gary worked with him on during the season and some things he improved on and some he didn't.

They were going to try and get better at every position by bringing people for all positions to compete. He doesn't foresee us not bringing in a qb to add to the mix to come in not necessarily to compete but try and beat David out as well.

I don't know who did the interview but he said: "So you're saying there may be someone here giving David competition but you're not ready to say if Carr will be here and a part of the competition?"

Rick said that was a fair statement or something like that.

My most favorite quote from the video by Rick Smith, ""We were definitely not comfortable, and pleased with the play of David Carr this season..."

Rick Smith (the Texans GM) thinks that David Carr is part of the problem:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...g_Show_Podcast

He stated that they were not pleased or comfortable with David's play throughout the season. There were things that Gary worked with him on during the season and some things he improved on and some he didn't.

They were going to try and get better at every position by bringing people for all positions to compete. He doesn't foresee us not bringing in a qb to add to the mix to come in not necessarily to compete but try and beat David out as well.

I don't know who did the interview but he said: "So you're saying there may be someone here giving David competition but you're not ready to say if Carr will be here and a part of the competition?"

Rick said that was a fair statement or something like that.

My most favorite quote from the video by Rick Smith, ""We were definitely not comfortable, and pleased with the play of David Carr this season..."

the link isn't working

True. I love watching TO drop the ball. The more the merrier.

Red, you are so on the money with your posts re: Irving Cowchips. T.O. drops, talks, and does not walk the walk. Besides, how could Dallas hire an idiot who, as an Eagle, dis-respected their Star at Dallas' beloved hole in the roof stadium?? To me, it was a signal: don't recruit this a-hole. But they did. > :)

But on a happy evening, I loved tonight's game. It was so Dallas. Git it up to f**k it up. :lol::lol:

From Dallas Morning News: "Inches and seconds away from their first playoff win since 1996, the Cowboys saw their season end in bizarre fashion when Tony Romo dropped a perfect snap on a 19-yard field goal attempt with 1:14 to play, giving the Seahawks an improbable 21-20 win."

No more reeling 'boyz. Stick a fork in 'em - they are done.

I think the Texans are going to be much improved next year if they learn to draft (selecting players that will perform) unlike the first 5 years of pretending to know how to draft. At any rate, just 2 cents from hfella who doesn't have much sense. Good luck to Boyz and Texans in 2007. We are going to need it!

Edited by houstonfella

I hope Russell stays in school and goes for a National Championship for his own sake. He does sound like a good player, but he sounds like he can be better and can prove a lot more. Go for the Heismann, yo. Young and Bush both have National Championships on their resumes, and were #1 and #2 on the Heismann race. Russell could make himself a lot more marketable if he stays one more year at LSU and gets more college hardware to his name.

If he were in the draft, he'd also be a great pick-up, but definately not starter. If we drafted Russell, we'd have the luxury of having Carr start, and Russell having a smoother transition to NFL football. Vince Young didn't have that luxury because the Titans got rid of McNair, but he did well anyway because he's Vince Young: Texas Longhorns' Vince Young. Best coaching staff in college football, hands down.

Look at Matt Leinart. He was SUPPOSED to be the backup to Kurt Warner, but Warner decided not to eat his Wheaties during the offseason, and Leinart was thrown into the lion's den. Man, the Cardinals sucked when you compare the record to the amount of talent they have. But Leinart would be better if he had at least a season to learn the position. That's what Russell could use once he gets to the NFL, but he'll probably get drafted to a team with an earlier pick who's looking for a QB.

Of course he will go for the money and join the NFL. Come on.... how many people wouldn't take millions of bucks immediately rather than stay in school????? Not many. Money makes people crazy. I wish I had that problem. :ph34r:

I said that all along that Carr's is the main problem. This man had enough time to throw a football, enough time to run, but David's decision making is waaaay to slow. His vision is not good either, and he's very inconsistant. Oh, yes. He have the arm. But, look at how many quarterbacks in the NFL have a arm like Carr's? Carr is nothing special, and probably never will be.

Stop making this man on what he's not! Carr teased us with his lack of inconsistant. One Sunday he's doing like a quarterback should, then next following Sunday he looks like he just got draft all over again. You don't need that type of leader on a team.

I said this over and over since last year. When the Texans get's a new quarterback, look for the playoffs.

Of course he will go for the money and join the NFL. Come on.... how many people wouldn't take millions of bucks immediately rather than stay in school????? Not many. Money makes people crazy. I wish I had that problem. :ph34r:

True that, but how many people would stay in school an extra year knowing that they'd get a better chance at getting paid MORE millions the next year? > :)

But on a happy evening, I loved tonight's game. It was so Dallas. Git it up to f**k it up.

From Dallas Morning News: "Inches and seconds away from their first playoff win since 1996, the Cowboys saw their season end in bizarre fashion when Tony Romo dropped a perfect snap on a 19-yard field goal attempt with 1:14 to play, giving the Seahawks an improbable 21-20 win."

No more reeling 'boyz. Stick a fork in 'em - they are done.

I think the Texans are going to be much improved next year if they learn to draft (selecting players that will perform) unlike the first 5 years of pretending to know how to draft. At any rate, just 2 cents from hfella who doesn't have much sense. Good luck to Boyz and Texans in 2007. We are going to need it!

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, all jokes aside; the Cowboys season was done on Thanksgiving. They just look like they ran out of gas. I was surprised the Cowboys made the playoffs, but they earned that right because of their mid-season play. The Texans look like they have more hope next season than the 'Boyz in my opinion. And what was up with that work "improbable?" The Seahawks are a better and more solid team that the 'Boyz. Where's the shock? Last season, the Seahawks won the NFC and made t to the Super Bowl. Where were the Boyz? Dallas is an offseason of successful free-agency from being a solid team, but signing Owens in the offseason isn't enough. Blame him all you want, but people need to remember that this was Romo's first season, and that will equal lack of experience. He'll be great, but he still needs work.

Also, the last draft wasn't bad; just risky. If we have a successful draft and focus on OL more than QB, I also expect the Texans to have a better record than the Boyz next season. The problem isn't the fact that Carr is QB. The problem is the fact that we depend too much on Carr/QB. There should be more answers/options. Stronger OL, develop a strong rushing game, AND develop a strong passing game. Create options. New Orleans has that. We have the capability with our current talent to add a small amount of players that could develop into that next season. Depth is key.

Do you think Major Applewhite of Rice has what it takes to eventually be an offensive coordinator in the NFL? Yeah, he's 28, but he really stands out as a coordinator in my opinion. He just got contacted this week to possibly join the staff of Saban's Alabama Crimson Tide. Nick Saban as you know just quit his Miami Dolphin's job for 'Bama.

What if Applewhite were a quarterback coach for the Texans? At the same time, learn the role of offensive coordinator and eventually move up to that spot in a few seasons?

capt.sea12101070443c.correction_cowboys_seahawks_football_sea121.jpg

I have a suggestion for the Cowboys: Have Parcells coach another two or three years, then when he were ready, pursue Bill Cowher as the new Cowboys coach. Offer a record contract. After Parcells leaves (everyone has to leave sometime), the Cowboys will need a coach with attitude and just pure rage. Cowher has that fire. Don't hire another Dave Campo.

The Cowboys learned a valuable lesson yesterday. . .When you play like the Houston Texans, you lose.

The Houston Texans have beaten the Dallas Cowboys more times than the Dallas Cowboys have beaten ANYBODY in the playoffs for the last ten years.

When you play like the Texans have, you may lose...but when you play like the Cowboys have, you suck :unsure::rolleyes: > :)

I think Terrell Owens brought down the whole team. its time to can the spoilt cry baby.

His attitude didn't seem to affect the team that much. What DID affect the team seemed to be his dropped catches. The dude alwayz seems injured. This season, it was his hands. They said his thumb, right? He has an offseason to recover, then he'll be aight.

In terms of Owens, he shouldn't be THE star reciever on the Cowboys. He should be A reciever on the 'Boyz. Too much media attention was put on Owens, and that has nothing to do with the Cowboys, Owens, or football. That's the media's fault. The dude supposedly "attempted suicide", when it turns out he took the wrong combination of supplements and pain medication. But that somehow made front pages and headline news? People put too much emphasis on his "distractions" when in fact the only thing it distracted was fantasy football.

I think Terrell Owens brought down the whole team. its time to can the spoilt cry baby.

TO may not be injured right now but you know he's licking his wounds. His two favorite quarterbacks, playing for the team that fired him, have ascended in the playoffs while his Cowboys have failed again.

Gotta love that! :lol:

It was a late Christmas Miracle. That was the CRAZIEST 2 minutes of football I have ever seen. It was soooooo sweet, I was around some solid Cowboy fans at Times Square in Katy. Then I jumped up and started clappin' and laughin' at the 'boys. Then when some saw me doing it, they joined in to root down the cowboys. It was beautiful. All it takes is one guy willing to point and say "F.U. cowboys !" to get the other closet cowboy haters to come out and join in.

It was a late Christmas Miracle. That was the CRAZIEST 2 minutes of football I have ever seen. It was soooooo sweet, I was around some solid Cowboy fans at Times Square in Katy. Then I jumped up and started clappin' and laughin' at the 'boys. Then when some saw me doing it, they joined in to root down the cowboys. It was beautiful. All it takes is one guy willing to point and say "F.U. cowboys !" to get the other closet cowboy haters to come out and join in.

I call it the BrokeBack Mountain game, 'cause those Cowboys sure screwed themselves...