Here's a quick blurb from an HBJ article on the 1996 season, the Oilers last season in the dome. Hardly 104% capacity.

To view the remainder of the story...Oilers game attendance: How low can it go?

LOL! Yeah... folks are really going to show up for a lame duck team once the owner has announced he's moving.

OF COURSE they're not going to play to capacity then. Sheesh! Use some common sense.

Try the last full season BEFORE Adams started his shennanigans.

Titans/Oilers Attendance History

Season Total Capacity Change

2005 553,192 106% +2%

2004 551,210 104% +1%

2003 550,472 103% 0%

2002 550,437 103% 0%

2001 552,393 103% +1%

2000 547,532 102.2% +3%

1999 528,890 99% +8%

1998 299,555 91% +46%

1997 224,401 45% -22%

1996 320,000 67% +7%

1995 288,860 60% -16%

1994 353,514 74% -20%

1993 452,522 94% -5.6%

1992 485,552 99.6% 0%

1992-1996 Attendance figures are for the Astrodome, Houston, Texas.

1997 Attendance figures are for the Liberty Bowl, Memphis, Tennessee.

1998 Attendance figures are for Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, Tennessee.

1999-2005 LP StadiumNashville, Tennessee

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

Did you find that on the Titan's site? Reason is, there used to be something like that on there, but I couldn't find it earlier today.

99.6 percent in 1992. Granted, that's not 104%, but unless my math is incorrect, that's 4 tenths of a percent less than a full house. Houston supported the team. If 99.6 percent of capacity isn't good enough for an owner, then HE, not me, has a problem.

In 1993, there was a justifiable backlash against the Oilers blowing the Buffalo game. In 1994, there was further backlash against them bowing meekly at home in the first round of the playoffs against KC and, add to that, the team was horrible in 1994. In 1995, Adams was openly courting Nashville.

Houston supported the Oilers. Bud Adams did not support Houston.

Art Modell gets villified for leaving a 60 year old decrepit stadium. Bud Adams gets a pass for putting out an inferior product and then walking away from the fans he gyped in a stadium renovated just for him not 10 years before. Go figure. LOL!

No, I had to go year by year on attendance vs. capacity on the leagues stat sight, the numbers are a bit skewed in the interface between stadiums, with the two years at smaller college stadiums. But it shows the trend. People need to realize, Bud Adams' makes Jerry Jones' ego look small in comparison, on top of the fact that he is an absolute prick. I had many dealings with him in my years with Texaco. He owns Gulf-mark Industries, and he is a real piece of crap from a business standpoint. He is more crooked than a North Shepherd used car dealer. He's always been all about him, and that's it. He can't even spell the word loyalty. The best the H-town ever did was let that SOB ride off into the sunset. So he took away the beloved Oilers, oh well, you got to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelet. Bob McNair has made some bad judgements by getting involved with Charley Casserly, but he's toast and that's history, now comes the recovery phase. Gary's plate is so full, I don't know how he sleeps at night.

99.6 percent in 1992. Granted, that's not 104%, but unless my math is incorrect, that's 4 tenths of a percent less than a full house. Houston supported the team. If 99.6 percent of capacity isn't good enough for an owner, then HE, not me, has a problem.

Art Modell gets villified for leaving a 60 year old decrepit stadium. Bud Adams gets a pass for putting out an inferior product and then walking away from the fans he gyped in a stadium renovated just for him not 10 years before. Go figure. LOL!

Notice that the 99.6 percent in the Astrodome = 485,552, but 99% in Nashville = 528,890. That's a major revenue difference. And that's AFTER the Astrodome expansion in the 80's. I can see now why any owner would want to leave the Astrodome. Like I said before though, if Adams had a great new stadium plan, Houstonians probably would have excepted. But he didn't. Not by a long shot. This is Texas, where we like our stadiums to be the first of it's kind, and where we like to produce winners. If you can't offer either, you'll end up in Tennesee...

All this debate over two average quarterbacks is humorous, to say the least. Anyone who watched the 3 o'clock game between SanDiego and Denver saw a REAL quarterback in Phil Rivers. Watching Rivers made it clear how far BOTH of these QBs has to go. They may get there eventually, but Rivers is what the Texans should aspire to, not Young or Carr.

Love that NC State bias, i mean pride....

On another note, this thread brings back some memories. i always loved the oilers growing up and even if they eventually always ripped my heart out in the end, it was one of the best memories I have. the house of pain days, the ridiculous jerry "the man in black" glanville days, the run and shoot, jack pardee, gilbride vs. buddy ryans, baby gate, lorenzo white running wild in the snow, ernest givens, drew hill, ray childress, warren moon - even those of you who hate bud adams have to admit it was one of those teams you loved while still loving to hate. i stayed with them when they left houston because there was still a core of players from houston right when they left, and even if they now have basically no one still there except jeff fisher, its a team i still support over houston, even if i live here. yeah bud adams was a crooked and stubborn man, but i don't cheer owners, i cheer teams. fisher and floyd reese are two of the best in the game at what they do. i hated seeing mcnair, rolle, and mason leave, but that's the business. the music city miracle, i was in a bar in corpus and it was full of people watching - a lot of people cheering then when it looked like they would lose, the comments came "same old oilers, always let you down" - sure enough they pull it off and everyone goes nuts.

i hated seeing the support die because of one person (old bud) - and i do follow the texans closely, but i still haven't gotten that feeling i did with the oilers, that no matter what happened, it was always an entertaining ride. i know entertaining doesn't = wins, but at least it was always about more than arguing about David Carr for the 1,000th time.

Edited by hokieone

Love that NC State bias, i mean pride....

:blush:

Was I too obvious?

Actually, I agree with you hokieone. I don't really care what the Texans do. I loved the Oilers, but I hate the Texans name, colors, outrageous prices, and most of all, their losing record. I think my problem with them is the entire NFL over the top money machine, but the Houston franchise is the 4th most valuable. I remember when Bud raised parking prices to $5, and there was nearly a revolt amongst fans. Bob charges $20, and you hear nary a peep. But, at least back in the Oilers' days, there was fire. This franchise is a slick marketing machine, with no emotion whatsoever. It belongs in an office tower downtown, not on a football field.

As for the Vince Young man-crush, you guys should come out of the closet. Really. HAIF has a lot of openly gay members, and they are all welcome and treated like family. It's OK if you guys who secretly love Vince while disguising it as football appreciation come out and set yourselves free. Really. It's alright. ;)

:blush:

As for the Vince Young man-crush, you guys should come out of the closet. Really. HAIF has a lot of openly gay members, and they are all welcome and treated like family. It's OK if you guys who secretly love Vince while disguising it as football appreciation come out and set yourselves free. Really. It's alright. ;)

1104205488_l.gif

:lol:

You are killing me, Red!

BtW, Vinnie is a bit too nelly for me. :rolleyes:

Well, that Vince Young "homecoming" game is out of the way. I hope the Texans from here on out will sack Vince Young's ass next time, and many more after that.

To those who are decrying David Carr...and also those who think of Drew Brees as all that (well he is now), I lived in San Diego for four years from 2002-2006 (minus seven months in 2004 when I was back in Houston). And I watched the Chargers closely. Yes,

I can can tell you Brees was no instant savior. He pretty much started when the Marty Ball era did back in 2002, basically a little after I got there. He even had the services of a blooming rookie weapon called LT.

Brees posted decent numbers, throwing over 3000 yards or so that year, but still the Chargers sucked overall.

Then into the 2003 campaign...Brees still sucked and Tomlinson was a blossoming force already. Yep, Brees sucked so badly that I remember that Schottenheimer benched his ass in favor of the ancient Doug Flutie for many weeks!

The Drew Brees of 2003 looked more clueless than the David Carr of 2006. Brees was quite worse in 2003 than in 2002.

In 2004, the Chargers were predicted to be the worst team in football, but after 2 seasons of difficulty, Brees and Tomlinson finally got their chemistry and competent offensive line...plus having some decent receivers like Keenan McCardell, Reche Caldwell and the emergence of one of the best tight ends in Antonio Gates...helped Drew Brees' confidence A LOT. The Chargers finished 12-4 that year.

Now, in 2006 (Year One in a new coaching era), David Carr has no ground game. His projected running back, a quiet but top 10 running back (collated over the past few seasons) named Dom Davis was put out for the year. So he has no version of LT to help him out in the Texans' new era. Who knows, with Dom Davis' 1,000 something yards this year, they could have produced at least two or three more wins at this point.

Sure he has Andre Johnson but in David's shoes...a solid running game does make the passing game easier; it IS the horse before the chariot, no doubt.

I don't blame David Carr per se. He's sucked some games for sure, but he's also shown ability throughout the season. Unlike Drew Brees whose first Charger teams had personnel in the right timely growth, Carr has not been given the right cards yet except for one wide receiver!

Until some more time passes and Carr finally has his pieces, we really shouldn't pass judgement. The Texans are already twice better than last season's terminal disaster.

And despite Drew Brees' coming out party in 2004...if I'm not mistaken, the Chargers regressed in 2005, missing the playoffs again. Bye, bye Brees, hello Rivers. And didn't Philip inherit an essentially well-stocked team. Philips has talent, for sure, but then so does David.

Vince Young is successful for the moment because his talent is showing up, his helter skelter, play-with-nothing-to-lose factor altering the course of recent games (catching teams off guard)...that is until the rest of the league catches up and forces him to learn how to throw more efficiently. A guy like Michael Vick has won his share of games, hasn't he? But the Atlanta Falcons have never shown a consistent sense of dominance, just a few gaudy win-loss records here and there.

Edited by worldlyman

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4395210.html

Man, the Chronicle has been coming down HARD on Carr from the Titans game. Like I said before though, Carr played a good game, and didn't in anyway contribute to the loss. He did his job, and that's all Kubiak could ask for.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I've ever heard the word "hopeless" to describe a local team in an article on any Texas sport. Not even when the Texans went 2-14 last season, because Bush and Young could have been drafted. What Young did against the Texans in overtime was no fluke. He did that same thing throughout his championship season in Texas. Regardless of what anyone says, regardless of who he plays for, because of what he helped do with the Longhorns, Vince Young already is a Texas sports legend. No question.

Now people need to stop blaming Carr, and start deciding how to return morale to the Texans. Changing the QB won't do it, because the chance to draft Young has come and gone. I think Carr and Williams still have potential, though we're all tired of the word "potential", and want to hear "legendary". Their line still needs help, but they will get better.

For the Texans to get respect back, here's what I think they should focus on for next season...

1) Absolute first thing: Build a hard-hitting defense. Hardest-hitting in the NFL. I mean "House Of Pain" hitting. It doesn't matter if the other team gets past the players, but if they get hit, they know they's gettin' ffuuuuuuccccdddd up. Hitting so hard, offenses around the league mark the Texans' name on their calendars as a day they know someone's going home with a sore back. Make teams regret playing you. Perhaps the first position would be the DL to add with Williams.

2) Step two: NOW worry about the OL. Yea, Carr would suffer a little longer because the OL wasn't the main focus yet, but remember, the other team's offense would regret coming on the field. Perhaps they would want the Texans to have more time with the ball because they needed more time to recover and do something. Just enough time for Carr to perhaps try to pull a Vince Young and do something with nothing. But yea, strengthen the OL as much as possible

3) Get the BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. In other words, the highest prospect. In other words, the one that has the highest CONSISTANT results. We have Williams, "Mr. Potential", now lets get someone on the team you know will make an IMMEDIATE impact.

4) If Carr has another Raiders' type game with a proven strong OL, change out Carr at that time. Until then, Not many QBs other than guys like Young can do anything with a low-ranking OL. They need much better run protection. They're getting better, but they're not there yet.

5) When they start winning, the fans will come back. In fact, I think Texans fans will have their heads up high again when they're capable of beating the Colts and Titans twice in one year. For that to happen...um...we have to beat them once first.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4395210.html

For the Texans to get respect back, here's what I think they should focus on for next season...

1) Absolute first thing: Build a hard-hitting defense. Hardest-hitting in the NFL. I mean "House Of Pain" hitting. It doesn't matter if the other team gets past the players, but if they get hit, they know they's gettin' ffuuuuuuccccdddd up. Hitting so hard, offenses around the league mark the Texans' name on their calendars as a day they know someone's going home with a sore back. Make teams regret playing you. Perhaps the first position would be the DL to add with Williams.

2) Step two: NOW worry about the OL. Yea, Carr would suffer a little longer because the OL wasn't the main focus yet, but remember, the other team's offense would regret coming on the field. Perhaps they would want the Texans to have more time with the ball because they needed more time to recover and do something. Just enough time for Carr to perhaps try to pull a Vince Young and do something with nothing. But yea, strengthen the OL as much as possible

3) Get the BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. In other words, the highest prospect. In other words, the one that has the highest CONSISTANT results. We have Williams, "Mr. Potential", now lets get someone on the team you know will make an IMMEDIATE impact.

Excellent!I hope the Texans front office read all of your post.

1.See COWBOYS D

2.Yes,OL,OL,OL.

3.QB,QB,QB.

Excellent!I hope the Texans front office read all of your post.

1.See COWBOYS D

2.Yes,OL,OL,OL.

3.QB,QB,QB.

No trill, you read his statements wrong, the number 1) statement didn't refer to defenses that were getting hit hard, i.e. by the New Orleans offense, he was referring to a defense that will come out and PUT the hits on people. :P<_<:wacko::lol:

Edited by TJones

No trill, you read his statements wrong, the number 1) statement didn't refer to defenses that were getting hit hard, i.e. by the New Orleans offense, he was referring to a defense that will come out and PUT the hits on people. :P<_<:wacko::lol:

The Astrodome will alwayz be the "House Of Pain". I wanna see Reliant Stadium become "The Nutcracker Suite". Pop 'em like a Pringle. Drop 'em like a Lawsuit. Hit 'em as if Simpson were Aquitted. Werd!

i5854170_81476_2.gif

You got me.Our defense sucked that game.But our defense is known for hard hitting(Roy Williams).The Dallas D-FENSE is feared.Now if only Houston could DRAFT well,who knows the possiblities?

Troy Smith would most likely go to the Cardinals, or Raiders. On the other hand, the Texans would most likely to draft a runningback, instead of a quarterback. Furthermore, they will pay out Carr, or trade him to some other team that's in need for a quarterback. Carr would be a great trade for Jake(the snake) Plummer from Denver.

If Texans get's Jake down here, I'll let him battle it out with Sage for the starting quarterback. I'll draft some more offense linemens, and probably get other good wide receiver.

They also need better secondary.

I wish Adrian Peterson would still be available by the time the Texans draft, but I think he'll be gone. Troy Smith will not go to the Cardinals, Leinart is their guy. I hate Notre Dame, but I think from a draft perspective, Brady Quinn is the more NFL ready prospect over Troy Smith. I think the Raiders will take a QB this year. I would like to see the Texans take Kevin Kolb in the 3rd round and bring in a vet (Jake the snake would suffice I suppose) for a year or two and then start grooming Kolb for the future.

Its the same needs as always for the Texans - the OL and RB spots.

Troy Smith would most likely go to the Cardinals, or Raiders. On the other hand, the Texans would most likely to draft a runningback, instead of a quarterback. Furthermore, they will pay out Carr, or trade him to some other team that's in need for a quarterback. Carr would be a great trade for Jake(the snake) Plummer from Denver.

If Texans get's Jake down here, I'll let him battle it out with Sage for the starting quarterback. I'll draft some more offense linemens, and probably get other good wide receiver.

They also need better secondary.

call911makeacopcome8wy.gif

Sir, please step away from the keyboard please. I pulled you over because you appear to have been drinking. Sir do you realize it's against the law to post while intoxicated? Wait right here while I call the pumawagon...excuse me....paddywagon!

call911makeacopcome8wy.gif

Sir, please step away from the keyboard please. I pulled you over because you appear to have been drinking. Sir do you realize it's against the law to post while intoxicated? Wait right here while I call the pumawagon...excuse me....paddywagon!

WhatchutalkinboutWillis ?