Oh hell naw! David Carr is not even close on being an excellent quarterback. If you wanna talk about excellent quarterbacks let's talk about Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Bret Frave. Carr not even on the radar on being an excellent quarterback. He's good, but not exceelent.

Carr judgement is totally off, he thinks too much. If you don't see nobody open common sense run. Carr didn't throw a touchdown pass in 20 quarters the media said. That's 5 games. The only reason that he threw a touchdown pass in Jets game cause Jets spread out their defense in the 4th quarter. Even Kubiak mention toward the media that we still have to work on Carr's vision. I can not see Carr taking Texans to playoffs, if he does I won't be living to see it. A new quarterback have to step in and lead this team in the right direction.

I'm really crying inside on why the Texans passed up Vince Young.

Speaking of Vince Young. This man is going to be even better next year, the Titans going to be better. Texans still got their hands full next year in their division, cause each team will get better.

Watch out for the Titans. They will be goint to the playoffs very soon.

Your an amazing man semipro. On one hand Carr sucks, on the other Young is great and headed to the playoffs, even though he only has one more win than Carr. What's more, he doesn't hold up to Carr statistically.

Let's take a look at the truth.

David Carr's completion ratio is 69.9%

Vince Youngs completion ratio is 49.9%

Also remember that Carr has thrown the ball 341 times versus Young's 141, thus the completion stat becomes a bigger deal.

David Carr's average yard per throw is 6.5

Vince Youngs average yard per throw is 5.7

David Carr's TD/int ratio is 10/7

Vince Youngs TD/int ratio is 8/8

David Carr's QB rating is 88%

Vince Young's QB rating is 63.9%

Sounds to me like your assessment of these two quarterbacks is way off, at least at this point. My assessment of Carr as an "excellent QB" needs to be taken in context which you obviously don't understand. In other words I was not saying that Carr is as good as Manning etc, I was pointing out that he has very good physical skills. That cannot be argued with.

Anyway I'm tired of arguing with someone who follows the football media WAAAAAY to much.

The Texans. Believe it or not, the texans don't have the worst NFL record, and are tied with other NFL Teams. Some of the Texans loses were decided by seven points or less.

When you're stuck with lemons. . .make lemonade, huh?

They had to the city's prestige, and that is it. Houston has enough prestige that Dallas will never have (hosted two Super Bowls, was hand picked by the U.S., Olympic Committee to re-bid for the 2016 Olympics, made it to the U.S. Final Four in 2000). The Dallas (Irving) Cowboys have won five championships, but that is it. The team that one those trophies in the 90's were full of thugs and cracC heads.

I think you proved my point. Tell you what Trae, I'll make a deal with you. You keep having pride in the mediocrity of HOSTING Championships. . .I'll keep having pride in WINNING championships! :lol:

Your an amazing man semipro. On one hand Carr sucks, on the other Young is great and headed to the playoffs, even though he only has one more win than Carr. What's more, he doesn't hold up to Carr statistically.

Let's take a look at the truth.

David Carr's completion ratio is 69.9%

Vince Youngs completion ratio is 49.9%

Also remember that Carr has thrown the ball 341 times versus Young's 141, thus the completion stat becomes a bigger deal.

David Carr's average yard per throw is 6.5

Vince Youngs average yard per throw is 5.7

David Carr's TD/int ratio is 10/7

Vince Youngs TD/int ratio is 8/8

David Carr's QB rating is 88%

Vince Young's QB rating is 63.9%

Sounds to me like your assessment of these two quarterbacks is way off, at least at this point. My assessment of Carr as an "excellent QB" needs to be taken in context which you obviously don't understand. In other words I was not saying that Carr is as good as Manning etc, I was pointing out that he has very good physical skills. That cannot be argued with.

Anyway I'm tired of arguing with someone who follows the football media WAAAAAY to much.

Carr is in his 5th year and just now improving. Vince Young doing good his first year as a rookie, and will get better upcoming years. Young will progress faster than Carr.

The Texans are going backwards, not forward. They still 31st in defense, so that didn't change much since Capers was head coach. Offense? Still the same like last year. Only major difference, Carr has a better passer rating. Wow! You wanna cookie? Stats means nothing when a team still losing, even Kubiak mention that. View the press conferences sometime on houstontexans.com

Kubiak also mention when it comes to clinch time, the offense and Carr can not produce.

If you really think David Carr can take this team to the Super Bowl you're in dreamland, son. Slap yourself and stomp your feet, Carr and Super Bowl will never meet.

If you really think David Carr can take this team to the Super Bowl you're in dreamland, son. Slap yourself and stomp your feet, Carr and Super Bowl will never meet.

Well lookie there, Semi is a poet and didn't know it. :rolleyes:

Edited by TJones

Carr is in his 5th year and just now improving. Vince Young doing good his first year as a rookie, and will get better upcoming years. Young will progress faster than Carr.

One good game (more accurately, 10 good minutes of one game) out of his first 11 does not equal "doing good his first year as a rookie". But hey, if the 33rd best passing rating (out of 34 QBs) works for you, I say bring it on. The more overrated former UT quarterbacks, the better. Then I can really laugh at orange-blinded football fans.

One good game (more accurately, 10 good minutes of one game) out of his first 11 does not equal "doing good his first year as a rookie". But hey, if the 33rd best passing rating (out of 34 QBs) works for you, I say bring it on. The more overrated former UT quarterbacks, the better. Then I can really laugh at orange-blinded football fans.

U think V. Young was overrated at UT? :lol:

But you right about the one good game thing. Remeber guys, Carr WON his first NFL regular season game with an expansion team. It's just bound to go downhill from there :D

U think V. Young was overrated at UT? :lol:

But you right about the one good game thing. Remeber guys, Carr WON his first NFL regular season game with an expansion team. It's just bound to go downhill from there :D

Nah, not at UT. The horns season this year reinforces how important Young was to them last year. But, at the NFL level, only a homer (or an ESPN talking head) would call Young's rookie year a success. They really screwed him around by getting rid of McNair. Letting Young sit a couple of years like Phil Rivers did would have given him a better shot at success. He may still make it as a pro, but right now he reminds me of Michael Vick...which aint good if you want to go to the playoffs.

When you're stuck with lemons. . .make lemonade, huh?

I think you proved my point. Tell you what Trae, I'll make a deal with you. You keep having pride in the mediocrity of HOSTING Championships. . .I'll keep having pride in WINNING championships! :lol:

Let's see, winning championships you say...?

Rockets 2 NBA championships

Mavs 0

Astros 1 NL championship

Rangers 0 AL championships

Texans 0 championships in 4 years

Cowboys 5 championships in 45 years

Houston Aeros 1 IHL, 1 AHL

Dallas Stars 1 NHL championship

Houston Dynamo 1 MLS championship

FC Dallas 0 MLS championships

Houston Comets 4 WNBA championships

Dallas 0 <no WNBA team>

Other than the Cowboys, it seems we lead in all categories (10 vs. 6). Give us 45 years and we'll talk again.

Mavs 0

Astros 1 NL championship

Dallas 0 <no WNBA team>

Other than the Cowboys, it seems we lead in all categories (10 vs. 6). Give us 45 years and we'll talk again.

Ummmm...but the Cowboys and Rangers aren't Dallas teams...so do we still need to wait 45 years? :P

Mavs 0

Correct. Although those two years just happened to be the years that M. Jordan was doing his baseball thing. Just stating a fact.

Astros 1 NL championship

Well, if you count league/conference championships, the Cowboys have 8 NFC championships. And if you go to the World Series and get swept, does it really count? :P

Plus, 30-odd Oiler seasons with no championships.

Minor league. Who can forget those thrilling games against Manitoba and Grand Rapids?

Soccer only counts as a sport in Mexico and Katy.

Dallas 0 <no WNBA team>

WNBA :rolleyes:

In 45 years, I'll be dead and the Texans will still suck.

Include only actual championships and take away soccer, minor league sports and the WNBA :rolleyes: and it's Metroplex 6, Gallery Furnitureplex 2.

Edited by cowboybud

I would respond to this but your matter of fact statement says it all. You know, it's kind of like reiterating why you have little credibility here.

The Texans are going backwards, not forward. They still 31st in defense, so that didn't change much since Capers was head coach. Offense? Still the same like last year. Only major difference, Carr has a better passer rating. Wow! You wanna cookie? Stats means nothing when a team still losing, even Kubiak mention that. View the press conferences sometime on houstontexans.com

One last time I will mention to you that the Texans have started their rebuilding process over. Why can't you get that?????????!!!!! And yes you are correct that stats don't always matter, I was simply pointing out the idiocy of your initial statement regarding Young being sooooooo much better than Carr. I do find it funny that you bring stats into many of your posts to prove your point. Then when I bring you almost iron clad proof that Young is not doing as well as Carr, you tell me stats mean nothing. I find that very funny.

Semipro take a tape recorder sometime and listen to yourself speak, it might be enlightning.

Kubiak also mention when it comes to clinch time, the offense and Carr can not produce.

Kubiak never said that. He said that Carr had not been producing late in games and that they we're working on changing that. Get your statements straight.

Uhhhhhh, I never mentioned anything about Carr and the Superbowl. <_<

Why am I arguing with this guy? :blush:

Edited by Gary

I myself being an Aggie to the bone, have a big enough pair to admit Young is a great player. Not one time did he ever lead the NCAA in passing, not even in the top ten, but you know what he is known for? Leading his team to a National Title, up against arguably the best of the rest that the NCAA had to offer. When the SWC was in place it wasn't near as tough as it is in the Big 12 now to dominate your conference. I say this in all sincerity, the SWC wasn't a drop in the bucket to the Big 12 as far as stiff competition. For years the SEC has been the toughest row to hoe, but with the merger of the Big 12 there is now another tough conference to survive in. UT dominated the big 12 as well as the rest of the NCAA, and Young was a huge part of that. He wasn't a high rated passer, he just won games. He took charge of the field and led his team to victory. That is the bottom line is win. The BS cliche' about "it's not if you win or lose, it's how you play the game" is so much BS. It's winning and nothing else, winning is what puts you in the championship, and winning is how you win the championship. That's it plain and simple.

They don't give out these for playing the game well, they hand them out for winning:

102_0385.jpg

Hey Semipro, you got one of these?

And when it's all said and done you sometimes get one of these:

S4010020.jpg

Now on the other hand, there have been athletes that dominated the NCAA and never really did well in the NFL, (i.e. Archie Griffin, Ross Browner, Desmond Howard, Andre Ware, George Rogers, etc etc etc.) Sometimes things just don't click. Dan Marino led the league almost every year in passing yards. Has career completion percentage of 59.4% and a career passing efficiency rating is 86.4, but no Superbowl ring. A lot of the times stats mean squat, stats have their purpose when doing comparisons, but there is no stat for leadership skills, that's just something you can't measure. You can see the results of it on the field and most of the time it is reflected on the scoreboard, but it is something that I do not think can be taught. There are leaders and there are followers. Leaders are born that way.

Now Carr can win football games, everyone has seen that. He lead his team well in college. His transition to the NFL has been marred by a lot of factors. IMHO Casserly was the worst move the Texans ever made. I was no fan of him at Washington, and never will be. Somehow he has managed to make thus far in the NFL, I for the life of me can't see how. Carr has been hamstrung from the beginning, with poor management decisions around him. But things seem to be making progress in the right direction, there is just a ways to go. But he is going to have to step it up, because his value to the team dwindles the longer it takes him to step it up to the next level. His shelf life more than likely expires within the next two years if he doesn't show some serious improvement, in the field generalship area, he's gone. His teamates have to believe in him or it will never work out, no matter what. But it's also going to take about 6 or 7 key players to be influxed into the lineup, to shore up the weak spots and elevate the remaining Texans to play at the next level. One of the greatst field generals to ever take a snap, had very limited athletic abilities. Some of it do to injuries, some of it due to physical make up. But when you got in the huddle with Johnny Unitas you knew you could win the ball game. He hobbled around in high tops cleats, that were nothing short of combats boots with cleats on bottom. Bad knees, sore aging arm and he still took the field as the best of the best.

Too soon to stick a fork in Carr, but the blood is in the water, and the sharks are circling. They have got to get a big time receiver, and tight end that can block as well as catch the 3rd and long, a Jay Novacek type. They need a couple of dominant lineman to stop they all out rush on Carr. And Carr is gong to have to learn to move around more. And I still feel the Texans need a big game back, I just don't see that in Lundy or the others. I think the Defense has more than is being seen. They need a Roy Williams type of player in the Secondary, And some corners than can play better man to man coverage. Then they can blitz more, which will get some of the double and triple off of Williams. I think they have pretty solid linebackers, just not much line to back. Kubiak has a plate full to deal with, but I think Gary will do fine. Anyone who thinks Gary is a pressbox coach, knows nothing about Gary Kubiak. He's the nicest guy till you piss him off, and he can be as tough as they come. Give him a chance to turn the Texans around, I think he can do it, if manangement leaves him alone to do what he does best, Coach!

I personally have my doubts about Young in the NFL, at least as far as being a champion. I also have my doubts about Carr. Carr has such good fundamentals as a physical passer, it would be a shame if he never get's his head on straight.

Anyway, Well said post Marc.

Edited by Gary

Correct. Although those two years just happened to be the years that M. Jordan was doing his baseball thing. Just stating a fact.

Well, if you count league/conference championships, the Cowboys have 8 NFC championships. And if you go to the World Series and get swept, does it really count? :P

Minor league. Who can forget those thrilling games against Manitoba and Grand Rapids?

Include only actual championships and take away soccer, minor league sports and the WNBA :rolleyes: and it's Metroplex 6, Gallery Furnitureplex 2.

Look at this guy :lol::lol::lol: So I'll give U credit with not adding minor league teams on the list, but professional sports too?! Since when have basketball and soccer not counted as sports? Let's REALLY compare...

-Let's see, the Houston Comets have won 4 titles in the 10 years of the WNBA, one less than the 5 Super Bowls the Irving Cowboys have for the past 45 years. Is that the reason why U wouldn't wanna count basketball? :lol:

-Houston Dynamo win the MLS Cup...on FC Dallas's turf. Is that why U don't wanna count soccer? :lol:

-The Rockets won 2 championships when Michael Jordan wasn't playing. The Mavericks have won 00000 championships when Michael Jordan wasn't playing. Hmmmmm.... :lol:

-Best thing to happen to the Astros was winning the pennant. Best thing to happen to the Rangers was when the former owner became President, which has nothing to do with baseball.

-The Texans still haven't had .500 season yet, but still manage to beat the Cowboys in their first game?

-Dallas Stars: they're cool. Won a Stanley Cup....the only professional championship ever won in Dallas.

We Rick James. U Charlie Murphy....

The Oilers do have two AFL Championships, in 1960 and 1961, during a time before the NFL had an "AFC" and an "NFC" (basically before there was ever such a thing called the Super Bowl). It's outside of your "30-odd seasons" criterion but it should be mentioned nonetheless. And the Oilers, albeit as Titans, do have an AFC Championship even if Houston can't count it.

The Rockets of the early 1990s had a 5-1 head-to-head record vs Michael Jordan and those Chicago Bulls. They had MJ's number and both MJ and the Bulls' announcers once admitted that the Rockets would have been a serious problem (i.e. no answer for Olajuwon). There's no guarantee that those Bulls would've beaten the Rockets even if Jordan hadn't retired.

Edited by worldlyman

The Oilers do have two AFL Championships, in 1960 and 1961, during a time before the NFL had an "AFC" and an "NFC" (basically before there was ever such a thing called the Super Bowl). It's outside of your "30-odd seasons" criterion but it should be mentioned nonetheless. And the Oilers, albeit as Titans, do have an AFC Championship even if Houston can't count it.

The Rockets of the early 1990s had a 5-1 head-to-head record vs Michael Jordan and those Chicago Bulls. They had MJ's number and both MJ and the Bulls' announcers once admitted that the Rockets would have been a serious problem (i.e. no answer for Olajuwon). There's no guarantee that those Bulls would've beaten the Rockets even if Jordan hadn't retired.

Yeah yeah yeah and in 1962 the Dallas Texans beat the Houston Oilers 20-17 in double overtime for the AFL Championship, if you are gonna tell the story tell it all.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

:lol::lol::lol:

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To the bowl y'all,to the bowl.To the bowl y'all,to the bowl.

Well, we do have a pro team with pro affiliation [one and the same in the NFL book] and it does actually play in Houston. But I'll agree, the Irving Cowboys are the better team even if Dallas is too emabarrased to host them in their city. GO ARLINGTON!!! :P

:lol: Too funny :lol:

I also thought it was cool when the Houston Dynamo beat Frisco, TX (FC Dallas). That's funny... Let's build our new soccer stadium 25 miles (or is it 30?) from DT Dallas but still call the team FC Dallas.

He may still make it as a pro, but right now he reminds me of Michael Vick...which aint good if you want to go to the playoffs.

Well, at least Young hasn't flipped any fans off yet. You're right about McNair though, Young REALLY could have used a little tutelage from him, instead he gets thrown to the Wolves. Typical Butt Adams move, wish we could have kept the team and moved the owner. :angry2:

This whole stadium location is hilarious. Sounds like a schoolyard argument between two kids. It's not that unusual to build in the suburbs, some even in another state. If that's the best my dog is bigger than your dog argument you can come up with, you should really be proud. Wait I hear the Ice Cream truck coming, happy days are here again.

The Detroit Lions play in Pontiac, MI.

The NY Giants and the NY Jets play in East Rutherford, New Jersey,

The Phoenix Cardinals Play in Tempe, AZ.

The Washington Redskins play in Landover, Maryland.

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park, NY.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

This whole stadium location is hilarious. Sounds like a schoolyard argument between two kids. It's not that unusual to build in the suburbs, some even in another state. If that's the best my dog is bigger than your dog argument you can come up with, you should really be proud. Wait I hear the Ice Cream truck coming, happy days are here again.

Close. The Lions now play in downtown Detroit at Ford Field (hosted last year's Super Bowl). Also, the Cardinals moved to Glendale, AZ this year.

And what about the Patriots? They not only don't play in their city (Boston), they don't even identify with their STATE. The New England Patriots play in Foxboro, Mass.

Let's also not forget about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- playing a full county removed from their home city.

There are more. Like Mark says, this is a silly argument. Irving is to Dallas what Bellaire is to Houston, in terms of distance from downtown. Even when they move to Arlington, it'll be akin to a drive out to Stafford for a game. what's the big deal?