US National Anthem

I really think this boils down to the attitude of those singing the anthem in spanish. The vast majority are not singing the anthem because there ready to die for America, rather they do it because it's part of the hootinanny that's being disguised as the new patriotism. It's a damn lie.

As a man that grew up in a military family that has fought in WWI, WWII and Korea, I am sickened by what a bunch of no gut wimps we have become. MY grandfather (career Colonal in Air Force) is heart broken by what's become of our attitude in this country. We have no backbone to stand up to the influx of illegals, and now were allowing them to desecrate our beloved anthem.

I generally try to stay out of the political threads on HAIF, but this really hits a spot with me. Come to think of it, most of what's going on in regards to this whole illegal BS hit's a spot with me.

I know, I know, I'm being to biased, am hateful, and am uninformed. Go ahead give it to me.

I really think this boils down to the attitude of those singing the anthem in spanish. The vast majority are not singing the anthem because there ready to die for America, rather they do it because it's part of the hootinanny that's being disguised as the new patriotism. It's a damn lie.

As a man that grew up in a military family that has fought in WWI, WWII and Korea, I am sickened by what a bunch of no gut wimps we have become. MY grandfather (career Colonal in Air Force) is heart broken by what's become of our attitude in this country. We have no backbone to stand up to the influx of illegals, and now were allowing them to desecrate our beloved anthem.

I generally try to stay out of the political threads on HAIF, but this really hits a spot with me. Come to think of it, most of what's going on in regards to this whole illegal BS hit's a spot with me.

I know, I know, I'm being to biased, am hateful, and am uninformed. Go ahead give it to me.

Careful there Gary, you may get called a Nazi or something stupid like that for being patriotic. I too grew up in a family with a long line of service men going as far back as the US civil war and i also served myself. It makes me sick to see whats happening and the immediate rush to provide American rights and services in this country to non-Americans.........

Yawn.

This is such a non-issue but we're behaving exactly how they (Feds) want us to; SHEEP.

This whole National Anthem "scandal" broke in the very same week that Congress watered down the ethics reform bill. Seems as if we the people have totally forgotten about Abramoff, DeLay, and all the other illegal shenanigans going on in D.C. because we're all up in arms about something really quite trivial.

So, while we're busy arguing about whether or not Maria singing the Anthem in Spanish will signify the Fall of the American Empire, some jackass (lobbyist/former Congress(wo)man) is up to something much more sinister.

Yawn.

This is such a non-issue but we're behaving exactly how they (Feds) want us to; SHEEP.

This whole National Anthem "scandal" broke in the very same week that Congress watered down the ethics reform bill. Seems as if we the people have totally forgotten about Abramoff, DeLay, and all the other illegal shenanigans going on in D.C. because we're all up in arms about something really quite trivial.

So, while we're busy arguing about whether or not Maria singing the Anthem in Spanish will signify the Fall of the American Empire, some jackass (lobbyist/former Congress(wo)man) is up to something much more sinister.

trivial? TRIVIAL?????? Do you not understand that Liberal GAY Illegal ALIENS are here to destroy your marraige, steal Christmas and kill your unborn just for the fun of it and all you can come up with is some lame diversion to throw everyone off topic? Quit trying to defame the great patriots of today like DeLay, Cheney, Libby, Cunningham, Bush, Abramofoff, et al. Your very future depends on keeping the anthem in english even if most people don't know the words. TRIVIAL? I mock thee!!!

:lol:

B)

trivial? TRIVIAL?????? Do you not understand that Liberal GAY Illegal ALIENS are here to destroy your marraige, steal Christmas and kill your unborn just for the fun of it and all you can come up with is some lame diversion to throw everyone off topic? Quit trying to defame the great patriots of today like DeLay, Cheney, Libby, Cunningham, Bush, Abramofoff, et al. Your very future depends on keeping the anthem in english even if most people don't know the words. TRIVIAL? I mock thee!!!

:lol:

B)

When are you going to start a thread about homosexuals?

What a duffus. Bush stated that the national anthem should be sung in English and immigrants to this nation should speak English.

Hell, Bush ought to learn how to speak English before asking anyone else to do so!

Yeah it's pretty embarrassing when King Abdullah of Jordan can speak better English than Bush

Yes, this is one of the important issues confronting America today. Right after, 'Do you think the people on 'Lost' will ever get off the island?', and just before, 'Do we eat too much garlic as a people?'.

This was what I was thinking for not viewing this thread......I finally gave in. Needed a bit of a distraction and this was one of the few threads I haven

its not like the Spanish version is going to be adopted by the American Government as a new national anthem, let them sing whatever it is they want to sing. I'm an American-Mexican and i prefer English over Spanish but they have their unalienable right to freedom of speech and to sing whatever the hell they want. just my opinion.

Thank you. I couldn't have put it better. This is just another over sensationalized story.

Yawn.

I concur B)

This is from Bob Schieffer on Face the Nation this morning:

In the ongoing effort to make our national debate about all the wrong things we may have reached a milestone with the controversy over whether its alright for the National Anthem to be sung in Spanish

The blogs went nuts about it of course -- going nuts is their natural state. Talk radio saw danger ahead -- cover the children's ears.

I'm with them on insisting that everyone who wants to be a citizen should learn English. In an increasingly diverse country, common experiences have become rarer and rarer and our language is one of the few things we all share. There is strength in that.

But the anthem in English only? I don't get it.

It made me proud to be an American when they tore down the Berlin Wall as We Shall Overcome -- an American spiritual -- played on the young people's boom boxes. And who among us can forget how we felt when those brave Chinese students brought a papier-mache Statue of Liberty into Tiananmen Square.

When people take our symbols of freedom as their own, it doesn't weaken our values, it affirms they are universal. That makes us stronger, not weaker.

So I hope our anthem will be sung one day in a hundred languages and I am not worried that translating it will somehow dilute its message. Translation hasn't seemed to hurt the Bible.

And since I speak neither Hebrew nor Greek, I'm glad they went to the trouble on that one. Otherwise, I might have missed the whole thing.

Now the far right wingers like Limbaugh and O'Reilley will twist this sincere believe into something ugly just to advance their own selfish intrests, but the fact remains: imitation is the sincereist form of flattery.

B)

Now the far right wingers like Limbaugh and O'Reilley will twist this sincere believe into something ugly just to advance their own selfish intrests, but the fact remains: imitation is the sincereist form of flattery.

B)

All those are fine examples. I speak fluent hebrew english german russian and some aramaic. I am going to submit the anthem be translated into those languages........ I will think of other symbols of America to unAmericanized while im at it. I probably can make a few bucks at the same time.

Well Well Well. Surprise-Surprise!

Seems as if Republican lawmakers in D.C. are now going after the Voting Rights Act and are trying to ban bilingual ballots and poll interpreters.

God Bless America and Americans who speak English-only!

B)

This gave me goose bumps.

Seems as if Republican lawmakers in D.C. are now going after the Voting Rights Act and are trying to ban bilingual ballots and poll interpreters.

Are you being facetious, or for real ? I smell some sarcasm in that statement. Explain why the ballots in Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries don't have English on their ballots ?

Did you also know that the official language of America was almost "German" after the Colonial war, and we gained our independence ? It only lost out by like 2000 votes, that is how much we wanted to distance this great country of ours from England ?

Sorry, to keep picking out your thoughts Kinkaid, your comments today are just standing out the most to me. They are some good statements, I just need a little more out of them. ^_^

Are you being facetious, or for real ? I smell some sarcasm in that statement. Explain why the ballots in Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries don't have English on their ballots ?

Did you also know that the official language of America was almost "German" after the Colonial war, and we gained our independence ? It only lost out by like 2000 votes, that is how much we wanted to distance this great country of ours from England ?

Sorry, to keep picking out your thoughts Kinkaid, your comments today are just standing out the most to me. They are some good statements, I just need a little more out of them. ^_^

All the Rice graduates know that :):):):):)

Yawn.

This rant brought to you by the Northwest Idaho Tinfoil Hat Company. Deflecting government mind-control rays for 50 years.

Source?

Thanks NorthMainGuy.

It was also in the NY Times and Boston Globe. Heard a little bit on NPR this morning too.

As for Editor, do you not consider the Republican controlled Congress watering down the ethics reform bill to be newsworthy?

Kinda find it shocking in an election year too. Even with all the $ in the world, the Republicans might have a hard time winning a majority in 2006 IF, and that's a really big IF, people pay attention...

Thanks NorthMainGuy.

It was also in the NY Times and Boston Globe. Heard a little bit on NPR this morning too.

As for Editor, do you not consider the Republican controlled Congress watering down the ethics reform bill to be newsworthy?

Kinda find it shocking in an election year too. Even with all the $ in the world, the Republicans might have a hard time winning a majority in 2006 IF, and that's a really big IF, people pay attention...

What does it have to do with the US National Anthem?

• 1 month later...

Yay, I get to call BS for one, although admittedly joining in very late!!! This is a myth very very popular in Germany too, but it is actually WRONG, as wrong as the myth that in Texas the state flag always flies at the same height as the US flag (just look at the Capitol Building), so here's the link from snopes: Link.

There is even a more elaborate version of this myth, like that the decisive vote was cast by the German-American speaker of the house, becoming a traitor to his own >:) ...

Ah yes, the link the Texas flag myth also (but I could post pictures of the capitol as well to prove it): Link

Yay, I get to call BS for one, although admittedly joining in very late!!! This is a myth very very popular in Germany too, but it is actually WRONG, as wrong as the myth that in Texas the state flag always flies at the same height as the US flag (just look at the Capitol Building), so here's the link from snopes: Link.

There is even a more elaborate version of this myth, like that the decisive vote was cast by the German-American speaker of the house, becoming a traitor to his own >:) ...

Ah yes, the link the Texas flag myth also (but I could post pictures of the capitol as well to prove it): Link

Good work. Snopes is great. MY wife has busted me a few times with this site. :lol:

Archived