Telfair And The Sugar Land Airport

joelpond10

Just wanted to get some takes on what you guys think about the Telfair subdivsion being so close to the Sugar Land airport. It's inevitable that there will be an extreme amount of air traffic there soon with Sugar Land growing so rapidly. Also heard that Fed-Ex will be flying cargo planes out of there pretty soon. I'm a Realtor in the Greatwood area and also plan on marketing the Telfair area. Feedback would be great and any input is appreciated!

Joel Pond

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to get some takes on what you guys think about the Telfair subdivsion being so close to the Sugar Land airport. It's inevitable that there will be an extreme amount of air traffic there soon with Sugar Land growing so rapidly. Also heard that Fed-Ex will be flying cargo planes out of there pretty soon. I'm a Realtor in the Greatwood area and also plan on marketing the Telfair area. Feedback would be great and any input is appreciated!

Joel Pond

I Like the idea of Telfair and having the Airport close by . Almost all areas in Houston are growing. Plus its not going to be that close, since they are building a shopping center/plaza/town square on 90 and 6.

• 1 month later...

The airport has recently built a nice state of the art terminal that I'm sure will bring in more traffic. Right now they get 10,000 flights per month according to an article in the paper today. I once went through a tour of the airport and they had said that they're open 24 hours but they discourage many flights from coming in at night. It is now and always will be a private/corporate airport, so I'm sure most traffic will be during the day.

When you see how people here whine about the train, you can bet they'll whine about the planes. If you look at the Telfair general plan, the runway centerline goes right through the middle. http://www.telfair.com/downloads/TelfairMa...ved12-07-04.pdf

The broken lines are differant average decibel levels. The inside one will be 85 and the outside one will be 60. If you look, the loud part is all parks and commercial, but there are a handful of residences that will fall toward the far end. About half of Telfair will be in the 60 decibel area. I don't know much about sample decibel levels to know what these are comparible too, but from what it sounds like, 85 is probably undesireable (http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/h&s0698.html).

Needless to say, all properties are going to have avigation easements (Legal Document that provides a perpetual right of way to aircraft to fly over a residence in return for the sound insulation program improvements, that is permanently attached to the property deed.) The owners will have no legal right to complain.

I'm sure this won't be a big deal, but I'm sure some people won't like it. It can't be much worse than the trains. If you use the Telfair land plan as a reference, perhaps you could try to use the knowledge of which properties are in the quieter areas as an advantage. I'm sure Telfair is going to be a nice place. I drive through it every day on my way home to New Territory. I'ts neat watching it grow.

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d0011...68/d001068.html

Actually, I looked it up and 85 decibels is like a lawnmower.

Also, here is a definition of what DNL means which is referenced on the map with 60 DNL and 85 DNL

http://www.sacairports.org/noise/glossary.html

DNL: The Day-night Average Sound Level (DNL) is the level of noise expressed (in decibels) as a 24-hour average. Nighttime noise, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. is weighted; that is, given an additional 10 decibels to compensate for sleep interference and other disruptions caused by nighttime noise. An annual average of DNLs is used by the Federal Aviation Administration to describe airport noise exposure. Areas with noise impacts less than 65 dB DNL are considered "compatible" with residential use; areas at or above 65 dB DNL are designated "incompatible" with residential use.

sorry to keep posting on this! I had just looked at the land plan again for another post and I noticed it's 65 DNL, not 85. So it's quieter than I thought. If 85 is a lawnmower and 20 is a whisper, 65 can't be too bad! Good windows should take care of that.

• The title was changed to Telfair And The Sugar Land Airport

Archived