OK I found the '05 so disregard the below list unless you want to compare.

Fortune-500%20list.gif

EDIT: It is twenty one (though in this thread it is 20) as the asterisk by andarko denotes it being in the woodlands/

Okay this is '03, but it seems relatively accurate.

7. ConocoPhillips, Houston, 12, $99.468

35. Marathon Oil Corp., Houston, 52, $37.137

66. Sysco Corp., Houston, 73, $26.140

122. Halliburton Co., Houston, 153, $16.271

154. El Paso Corp., Houston, 152, $12.653

155. Plains All American Pipeline, L.P., Houston, 221, $12.590

166. Reliant Resources Inc., Houston, 164, $11.707

170. Waste Management Inc., Houston, 171, $11.574

201. CenterPoint Energy Inc., Houston, 236, $9.772

231. Continental Airlines Inc., Houston, 220, $8.870

283. Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P., Houston, new to list, $6.624

316. Dynegy Inc., Houston, 336, $5.813

334. Baker Hughes Inc., Houston, 320, $5.391

336. Enterprise Products Partners, L.P., Houston, 438, $5.346

390. Group 1 Automotive Inc., Houston, 383, $4.519

404. Burlington Resources Inc., Houston, 497, $4.311

413. Apache Corp., Houston, 563, $4.190

441. Lyondell Chemical, Houston, 467, $3.801

468. Smith International Inc., Houston, 480, $3.595

Houston has been #2 for years-as city proper. Houston has lost several as well, Enron, Compaq, Administaff, American General.

For Metro's I believe Houston is ~4 or 5 behind NYC, Chicago, Bay Area. I'd have to look at my paper copy when I am back in the states.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

How diversified we are. Every company looks energy related except three. Those three are an airline, a garbage company and a food service company. Exotic, to say the least. A few years ago we could point to Compaq Computer and American General. Not anymore. Also, wasn't BMC Software on there?

We are especially weak in the Top 100. Remember when Enron, Reliant Energy, Dynegy, and El Paso were all in the top 50? Altogether we had I believe six companies in the top 50. Not no more.

I really hope Continental Airlines, ConocoPhillips, and Marathon do not get swallowed in mergers. It could happen though. That would be rather depressing for the Bayou City.

• 1 month later...

It is worth noting that a list like this only takes into account the headquarters, not the bulk of the company. Exxon is known throughout the world as a Houston company, yet since a few hundred execs have an office in Dallas, it is a Dallas headquartered company.

Similarly, BP has its North American headquarters here, but clearly is not a Houston company. So, the two largest corporations in the world have large presences in Houston, but are not on this list as Houston companies.

There must be some reason it's desirable to host a company's hq. For tax reasons, maybe? I don't know. I do remember when Boeing was shopping for a new city for its headquarters, cities were offering huge tax breaks/incentives (that were worth hundreds of millions of dollars, if my memory serves me) for what would only really be a few-hundred-person office.

It is worth noting that a list like this only takes into account the headquarters, not the bulk of the company.  Exxon is known throughout the world as a Houston company, yet since a few hundred execs have an office in Dallas, it is a Dallas headquartered company.

Similarly, BP has its North American headquarters here, but clearly is not a Houston company.  So, the two largest corporations in the world have large presences in Houston, but are not on this list as Houston companies.

BP's North American headquarters is in Chicago.

It is worth noting that a list like this only takes into account the headquarters, not the bulk of the company.  Exxon is known throughout the world as a Houston company, yet since a few hundred execs have an office in Dallas, it is a Dallas headquartered company.

Similarly, BP has its North American headquarters here, but clearly is not a Houston company.  So, the two largest corporations in the world have large presences in Houston, but are not on this list as Houston companies.

BP's North American headquarters is in Chicago or is it Cleveland...

Houston does have the bulk alot of companies whos headquarters are not in town, such as Chevron, Schlumberger, and isnt Shell based in Europe Royal Dutch Shell or something like that. It would be great to have another energy company move to the former Texaco Heritage Plaza once it gets remodeled. Williams just needs go ahead and move its headquarters from Tulsa into the Williams Tower.

• 3 weeks later...
There must be some reason it's desirable to host a company's hq.  For tax reasons, maybe?  I don't know.  I do remember when Boeing was shopping for a new city for its headquarters, cities were offering huge tax breaks/incentives (that were worth hundreds of millions of dollars, if my memory serves me) for what would only really be a few-hundred-person office.

Which begs a basic question: So who cares and why is this important?

Seems we would rather have the bulk of the employees' salaries being spent here rather than a few managers at the top tier. Maybe I am missing something here.

Which begs a basic question:  So who cares and why is this important?

Seems we would rather have the bulk of the employees' salaries being spent here rather than a few managers at the top tier.  Maybe I am missing something here.

You're exactly right, 2112. Dallas may have Exxon HQ and a few hundred employees, but Houston has the refinery, the heart and soul of the company, and thousands of employees.

FWIW, Exxon world HQ is in Dallas. Exxon USA is based in Houston.

You're exactly right, 2112.  Dallas may have Exxon HQ and a few hundred employees, but Houston has the refinery, the heart and soul of the company, and thousands of employees.

FWIW, Exxon world HQ is in Dallas.  Exxon USA is based in Houston.

Ya, I always kinda chuckle when reviewing the Fortune 500 listing with "Exxon - Irving, TX."

Kinda like the Irving Cowboys and the Arlington Rangers?  :lol:

B)

Soon to be Arlington Cowboys. I'm just wondering when the name's going to change to The Jerry Jones Cowboys.

Generally, it's probably a better community benefit to have the payroll of thousands of skilled laborers than the payroll and 'prestige' of corporate headquarters. My amatuer observations count three Fortune 500 corporate headquarters relocations to Dallas County this year, or at least relocation confirmations - I dont know if they will show up as Texas companies next year or not, but all that vacant office space (aka excellent value for the money) is really getting some attention.

The advantages of managing operations from the Texas Triangle is becoming evident to a much larger audience and will expand the region's global influence. The reach around the world from the Port of Houston is a primary foundation. Trans-Texas cargo highways will futher centralize NAFTA underwritten product management in Dallas and will unite and maximize trading partenerships. The manufacture of aircraft capable of flying half way around the world has finally opened up Texas to nonstop flights with European and Asian business centers.

Related trade essay from the DMN.

Dallas - Hub of the Trade Wheel.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...1.1395d161.html

My favoirte quote:

(OK, it's in Wilmer, not in Dallas, but many of the people who work there undoubtedly live in Dallas.)

Excellent example of Dallas claming territory when it benefits them.

Let's put an end to this silliness, once and for all.

Yakuza was correct. BP's North American HQ is in Warrenville, Illinois

North American headquarters

28100 Torch Parkway

Warrenville, IL

60555-3938

United States

Tel +1 630 420 5111

BP

This is also somewhat of a remnant of its "Standard Oil days." BP first bought Standard Oil of Ohio, which was based in Cleveland. For a time, then, BP's North American HQ was indeed in Cleveland. But they later also bought Standard Oil of Indiana (aka Amoco), which was based in Chicago, downtown in the huge white skyscraper right on the lakefront known locally as "Big Stan". When the combined the former Standard of Ohio with the former Amoco, the North American HQ ended up in Chicago (or Chicagoland; I'm not sure when they abandoned the downtown skyscraper and moved to the suburbs.)

I think BP's US headquarters is still in Cleveland. Remnents of it's Standard Oil days.

Let's put an end to this silliness, once and for all.

Yakuza was correct.  BP's North American HQ is in Warrenville, Illinois

North American headquarters

28100 Torch Parkway

Warrenville, IL

60555-3938

United States

Tel +1 630 420 5111

BP

This is also somewhat of a remnant of its "Standard Oil days."  BP first bought Standard Oil of Ohio, which was based in Cleveland.  For a time, then, BP's North American HQ was indeed in Cleveland.  But they later also bought Standard Oil of Indiana (aka Amoco), which was based in Chicago, downtown in the huge white skyscraper right on the lakefront known locally as "Big Stan".  When the combined the former Standard of Ohio with the former Amoco, the North American HQ ended up in Chicago (or Chicagoland; I'm not sure when they abandoned the downtown skyscraper and moved to the suburbs.)

Ooops. My bad. I haven't lived in Cleveland for 21 years and my info is kind of old.