Tony Snow As The US Press Secretary

DJ V Lawrence

The Bush Administration is looking to make changes in their cabinet partially to win back low approval from the American public, and to show that the administration hears the American public. Two questions: Is the Press Secretary's resignation/replacement effective in the public trusting an admin, and does the hiring of a Fox News reporter as the new Press Secretary increase support from the public?

The Bush Administration is looking to make changes in their cabinet partially to win back low approval from the American public, and to show that the administration hears the American public. Two questions: Is the Press Secretary's resignation/replacement effective in the public trusting an admin, and does the hiring of a Fox News reporter as the new Press Secretary increase support from the public?

Tony has definitely slammed the President in the past on Fox so i'm assuming he won't be as much as a wimp as most think.

"Tommy Franks and the coalition forces have demonstrated the old axiom that boldness on the battlefield produces swift and relatively bloodless victory. The three-week swing through Iraq has utterly shattered skeptics' complaints."

(Fox News Channel's Tony Snow, 4/13/03)

:lol:

The White House has announced FOXNews is now the official press office for the Bush Administration.

(Fox News Channel's/White House Press Secretary Tony Snow 4/26/06) :P

B)

The press secretary is NOT a cabinet level position. But to answer your question, it really depends on just how well a press secretary can "spin" and mold the presentation of the WH news to the WH press corps. Scott McClellan and Ari Fleischer were not terribly effective whereas Joe Lockhart and Mike McCurry were remarkably effective in Clinton's WH. McCurry took over from a completely inept Dee Dee Myers.

Tony Snow has the advantage of having actually managed reporters (he was a news editor) as well as being somewhat skilled with media presentation after 8+ years on TV/radio. Will his hiring improve Bush's poll numbers? That is left to be seen. To some degree, the president really has nowhere else to go but up. That being said, Bush isn't running again so his poll numbers are to some degree meaningless unless his party loses one or both houses of congress.

On the bright side we won't have to listen to Tony Snow's nauseating Bush butt smooching evenings on 950 for awhile. Maybe they will move Ed Shultz into his time slot. One can only hope.

The only difference is the Snow Job will now be broadcasting direct from the White House-the newest affiliate of FOXNews.

B)

[At least they choose an articulate liar this time]

http://mediamatters.org/items/200604190003

The only difference is the Snow Job will now be broadcasting direct from the White House-the newest affiliate of FOXNews.

B)

[At least they choose an articulate liar this time]

http://mediamatters.org/items/200604190003

I listen to Tony Snow everyday on 950. He will not sugarcoat anything. He will tell it like it is.

BTW Nmain, that's a nice little liberal website you linked there, very funny stuff.

The press secretary is NOT a cabinet level position. But to answer your question, it really depends on just how well a press secretary can "spin" and mold the presentation of the WH news to the WH press corps. Scott McClellan and Ari Fleischer were not terribly effective whereas Joe Lockhart and Mike McCurry were remarkably effective in Clinton's WH. McCurry took over from a completely inept Dee Dee Myers.

Tony Snow has the advantage of having actually managed reporters (he was a news editor) as well as being somewhat skilled with media presentation after 8+ years on TV/radio. Will his hiring improve Bush's poll numbers? That is left to be seen. To some degree, the president really has nowhere else to go but up. That being said, Bush isn't running again so his poll numbers are to some degree meaningless unless his party loses one or both houses of congress.

Good point on the first sentence; I should have said White House Staff.

Exactly what kind of reporter was Snow on Fox News? I didn't watch him enough to assume anything, and I'm also assuming that this move is the first of many. And is this White House only making these change-ups in order to decrease the debate on Rumsfeld's future in office?

I listen to Tony Snow everyday on 950. He will not sugarcoat anything. He will tell it like it is.

He will not be telling it like it is, he will be telling what the President and the rest of the West Wing tells him to tell. That's the WH Press Secretary's job. I am completely fine with the selection, anything he did before this doesn't matter as he is now in a position where he can't express his personal opinions.

He will not be telling it like it is, he will be telling what the President and the rest of the West Wing tells him to tell. That's the WH Press Secretary's job. I am completely fine with the selection, anything he did before this doesn't matter as he is now in a position where he can't express his personal opinions.

I don't think Tony will compromise his integrity and be a "Fallguy" for anyone. I understand his role as Press Secretary, I just don't think Tony is the type of person to be a robot for the White House. The man is too opinionated for that. He might love the thought of having the position, as every journalist might also, he may not like it once he gets in there because every liberal will be trying to make mountains out of molehills when Tony has a press conference, and try to trip him up, I highly doubt it will happen though.

I don't think Tony will compromise his integrity and be a "Fallguy" for anyone. I understand his role as Press Secretary, I just don't think Tony is the type of person to be a robot for the White House. The man is too opinionated for that. He might love the thought of having the position, as every journalist might also, he may not like it once he gets in there because every liberal will be trying to make mountains out of molehills when Tony has a press conference, and try to trip him up, I highly doubt it will happen though.

Surely you're heard the term I serve at the pleasure of the president. He of course will be allowed his opinions behind closed doors, but he is the mouthpiece of the administration, and yes, a robot. Not denigrating the man or trying to be political, but that's the job description of the WH Press Secretary. Nowhere in the job description does it say express your own opinions as you see fit during WH press gaggles, that's a recipe for disaster.

Covered every base, didn't you TJ? Just like they typed it out.

Good job. :lol:

TJones, here's a Tony Snow quote regarding this year's State of the Union address:

In the same vein, the president announced an American Competitiveness Initiative that would pour more federal money (that spending addiction again) into scientific research, a research and development tax credit (for "bolder private-sector investment") and 100,000 new teachers. This is Clintonism, pure and simple.

C'mon, can you honestly picture stuff like that coming out of his mouth once he becomes the Press Secretary?

Covered every base, didn't you TJ? Just like they typed it out.

Good job. :lol:

(shakes a fist at Red) :lol: ...........you little jerk !

TJones, here's a Tony Snow quote regarding this year's State of the Union address:

In the same vein, the president announced an American Competitiveness Initiative that would pour more federal money (that spending addiction again) into scientific research, a research and development tax credit (for "bolder private-sector investment") and 100,000 new teachers. This is Clintonism, pure and simple.

C'mon, can you honestly picture stuff like that coming out of his mouth once he becomes the Press Secretary?

I think the man will not just get up there and spew whatever the White House deems fit for release. It is my impression of Tony that he will make positive that the facts are straight before making any announcements, and this is probably one of the reasons he is being chosen. He is being asked because of his ability to have a finger on the pulse of the American people, and have some sort of knowledge of how the American people will take a press release as it pertains to its contents.

So, no Heights, I don't think he will EVER bash the Pres. while he holds that position. I believe the Pres. holds Tony's opinion in high regard, and respects his views.

How is a Press Secretary allowed to be opinionated? I can already see Tony Snow trying to save face in a White House press conference now...

-------------------------

pressroom_jpg.jpg

Tony Snow: "Now that I have given you the brief on the President's stance, I will freely answer any questions at this time..."

Reporter: "Mr. Snow, how do you feel about Bush's policies on..."

Tony Snow: "Yo dog, I be tellin' y'all how da Prezident wanna roll. Me opinion got nothin' to do widdit, aaiigghhttt?!"

Reporter: "But Mr. Snow, being a former correspondent for Fox News, a "fair and balanced" organization, and being an American that has always told it like it is, surely you must have an idea as to if Bush's policy will work or not..."

Tony Snow: "Man, y'all tryin' to get me fired or wut? I ain't runnin' with da Beltway Boyz frum Fox no moe. I be represen'in da Bush Posse now, yo. O' Reilly ain't got nothin' on me. Cheney got MY back. STAFF SIDE!!"

Reporter: "But surely, you've seen the recent gallup polls showing low approval ratings for the current administration. How do you think the government..."

Tony Snow: "Better watch yo' back, 'cause tonight, U hurt! I done told y'all, my boss be runnin' da House da best he can. It hard work, yo. Bossman gotta TIVO Spongebob an' American Idol now. Can't even watch it at scheduled time no moe. It ain't easy being G.W.B, see?"

Reporter: "But Mr. Snow..."

Tony Snow: (now in a British accent) "That now concludes today's press conference. Go home..."

-------------------------

I'm wondering if appointing an opinionated journalist was meant to make it seem like the administration would give out no spin. I assumed spin was the Press Secretary's job. Also, perhaps Tony Snow will be seen more as media advisor to the President?

I think the man will not just get up there and spew whatever the White House deems fit for release. It is my impression of Tony that he will make positive that the facts are straight before making any announcements, and this is probably one of the reasons he is being chosen. He is being asked because of his ability to have a finger on the pulse of the American people, and have some sort of knowledge of how the American people will take a press release as it pertains to its contents.

So, no Heights, I don't think he will EVER bash the Pres. while he holds that position. I believe the Pres. holds Tony's opinion in high regard, and respects his views.

Good for you sticking to your guns. I would have never defended Joe Lockhart like that.

Good for you sticking to your guns. I would have never defended Joe Lockhart like that.

WHat I mean is, Tony will not "lie" for the President, if he sees something that doesn't look quite right, he will take it upon himself to get the fact checking right. Tony isn't gonna leave himself holding the bag. :D

I think the man will not just get up there and spew whatever the White House deems fit for release. It is my impression of Tony that he will make positive that the facts are straight before making any announcements, and this is probably one of the reasons he is being chosen.

He is being asked because of his ability to have a finger on the pulse of the American people, and have some sort of knowledge of how the American people will take a press release as it pertains to its contents.

What pulse of WHAT American people? Tony Snow knows absolutely nothing of what the poor, the working poor, Hispanics, Blacks, Independents or Democrats think is important. He only knows what to say to make YOU nod your head in agreement. I recognize that this is the only group that the Bush Administration thinks exists in the US, and Tony Snow will sound good to you guys, but the 67% of us who think Bush is a screwball will probably not notice any difference.

Expecting too much from a change in press secretary is a bit overly optimistic. In the end it doesn't really matter too much who is standing in front of that podium. If Bush continues policies that got him a 32% approval changing press secretaries is nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig.

Expecting too much from a change in press secretary is a bit overly optimistic. In the end it doesn't really matter too much who is standing in front of that podium. If Bush continues policies that got him a 32% approval changing press secretaries is nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig.

So if Snow is the pig, who is the lipstick?

:)

Good point.

Snow will do as he's told and if he doesn't he'll be fired.

He has no concept of what the pulse of america is. He may sould like it when he bloviates while subbing for Limbaugh but far right wing talk show hosts don't have the pulse of america because-surprise!-most americans don't listen to talk radio.

B)

BTW, TJ, what can you discount in what was in http://mediamatters.org/items/200604190003? Is it liberal to ferret out the falsehoods with facts or is it just funny to you?

I know you have a tough job propping up these losers in the White House.

I feel your pain. :lol:

BTW, TJ, what can you discount in what was in http://mediamatters.org/items/200604190003? Is it liberal to ferret out the falsehoods with facts or is it just funny to you?

I know you have a tough job propping up these losers in the White House.

I feel your pain. :lol:

I can discount it all day, most of those, if not ALL, are the man's "opinions" that does NOT make them "lies". You can try all you want to try and discredit Tony. You are failing miserably. Good luck with that though. So, point out the assertions or opinions that MEDIA MATTERS has quoted Tony with, that is a "LIE".

Here, I broke it down by MM talking points.

1) If Snow is wrong about Plame, then up to what time was she clandestine ?

2) His OPINION of ID and Evolution fall along the same lines to him, and you call THAT a lie ?

3) Ok, Ginsburg, again, OPINION, I am sure he wasn't using facts to make his statement, just his feelings about her. Are you saying it is WRONG to be the "most liberal justice in American History". I agree with you, who wants to be THE MOST LIBERAL anything, BLEH !

4) Kerry's comment about not securing the stockpile of weapons. C'mon nmain, so, you also are of the belief that Kerry was talking about the Pres. ? He was trying to make it look like our troops are incompetent, you can't see between the lines there ?

5) Kerry's comment about terrorists. Since when are terrorists just a nuisance before or after 9-11 ? Kerry didn't say this quote ? Was Snow quoting the wrong person ?

6) Now, I may have to concede on this ONE point by Media Matters, there does seem to be compelling evidence against this Swift Boat claims that Tony DID back. Perhaps he hadn't seen the documents, but the way I read it on that webpage, I will concur.

7) They are talking about FORGED DOCUMENTS, and you know it. If anyone is lying it is Media Matters, trying to defend it. Tony, O'Reilly, Rush, all of them are 100% on that one. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Good Ol' Al Franken would even agree, just like Dan Rather had to retract the story.

So, 1 out of 7 nmain, not very good. Got anything else you want demolished ? :P;):wub:

4) Kerry's comment about not securing the stockpile of weapons. C'mon nmain, so, you also are of the belief that Kerry was talking about the Pres. ? He was trying to make it look like our troops are incompetent, you can't see between the lines there ?

OK. Slight topic change. "Making it look like our troops are incompetent"? What about Miss Condi and her "there were only tactical errors made in Iraq". "Only tactical errors"? Sounds like she is delflecting the blame from the administration and putting it sqaurely on the troops shoulders. Talk about making our troops look incompetent. At least Kerry wasn't trying to deflect blame for his own incompetence onto the troops. He was actually putting it where it belongs. On Bush, Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld et al.

OK. Slight topic change. Blaming the troops? What about Miss Condi and her "there were only tactical errors made in Iraq". "Only tactical errors"? Sounds like she is delflecting the blame from the administration and putting it sqaurely on the troops shoulders. Talk about making our troops look incompetent. At least Kerry wasn't trying to deflect blame for his own incompetence onto the troops. He was actually putting it where it belongs. On Bush, Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld et al.

In that statement, Condi means that the plans were laid out correctly and may have looked good on paper, how they were carried out is out of their hands. In her WHOLE statement though, did she also say what a wonderful job the troops are doing ? Or, did she just say that one line and walk off the stage ? :closedeyes:

btw, I agree that your quote puts the blame of errors made, were by the troops, she wasn't trying to say they weren't doing their job.

In that statement, Condi means that the plans were laid out correctly and may have looked good on paper, how they were carried out is out of their hands. In her WHOLE statement though, did she also say what a wonderful job the troops are doing ? Or, did she just say that one line and walk off the stage ? :closedeyes:

btw, I agree that your quote puts the blame of errors made, were by the troops, she wasn't trying to say they weren't doing their job.

One would hope a Secretary of State would choose her words more carefully. And saying the plans were good but the problem was the execution of them sounds pretty much like she is blaming the military to me. Tacking on a "the troops are doing a wonderful job" at the end of her statement doesn't change the fact that she just trashed the military.

TJ, I just can't be the teacher here. You'll have to do your own homework. It's all out there if you want to do the work to look it up. If you don't-no big deal but Wilson never said his wife was non-clandestine for 6 years. Snow lied. Wilson said she ceased to be clandestine the day Novack outted her.

Bryer and Stevens' voting records are more liberal than Ginsburg and Stevens was a Ford appointee.

..and the list of Snow Jobs goes on.

I'm sorry but there is not enough lipstick in the world to paint up this pig.

Anything else you want me to demolish?

B)

[Jump ship, TJ...I have no problem with Conservatives-I just hate seeing the good hearted ones like you clinging to the last deck chair on the Titanic]

:wub:

but Wilson never said his wife was non-clandestine for 6 years. Snow lied. Wilson said she ceased to be clandestine the day Novack outted her.

B

.........and neither did Tony, what Tony said was that she had not been on foreign soil as a "covert agent" for 6 years. So, she was not Clandestine. Not that she "ceased" being when she was outted. Blitzer called Wilson on it, saying that "she had not been Clandestine for some time before that." Wilson pleads the fifth. How convenient for him.

Archived