Mayor and the power company commericials.

musicman

I applaud the Mayor for trying to take a stand over rising power prices by promoting competition. Too bad we don't have a choice on water providers (stuck with the City of Houston) cause i know several of my neighbors' bills have been going sky high! Come on Mayor White, do another commercial!

I applaud the Mayor for trying to take a stand over rising power prices by promoting competition. Too bad we don't have a choice on water providers (stuck with the City of Houston) cause i know several of my neighbors' bills have been going sky high! Come on Mayor White, do another commercial!

Seems like the mayors efforts are a bit redundant. powertochoose.org does everything the city site does. Are city funds used in this campaign?

Seems like the mayors efforts are a bit redundant. powertochoose.org does everything the city site does. Are city funds used in this campaign?

the power companies have to pay to be included on the houston list.

the state site lists all companies doing business.

the prices aren't going up willy nilly. ALL companies are more expensive, it just expensive to make electricity right now.

in Dallas, TXU is the big bad expensive monster, here in Houston, it is Reliant. and here in Houston, TXU is one of the cheapo's and vice versa... its all a big long boring story about deregulation.

Next year, when many of the controls go away, it will be interesting to see what happens!

Too bad we don't have a choice on water providers (stuck with the City of Houston) cause i know several of my neighbors' bills have been going sky high! Come on Mayor White, do another commercial!

I know this is a bit off topic, but I don't consider water rates to be "sky high".

If you use 4,000 gallons/month (which happens to be my monthly average), your charge is $28.92 for water and sanitary sewer. That works out to $0.0072/gallon...yes, 0.72 CENTS per gallon of water. That sure beats the price of bottled water (and of course we all know that many bottled waters are simply municipal tap water that undergoes an additional filtering).

I know this is a bit off topic, but I don't consider water rates to be "sky high".

If you use 4,000 gallons/month (which happens to be my monthly average), your charge is $28.92 for water and sanitary sewer. That works out to $0.0072/gallon...yes, 0.72 CENTS per gallon of water. That sure beats the price of bottled water (and of course we all know that many bottled waters are simply municipal tap water that undergoes an additional filtering).

tell that to my retired parents who regularly pay $150-200. i know their electric bill has already been $180 so it will be a hot summer.

tell that to my retired parents who regularly pay $150-200. i know their electric bill has already been $180 so it will be a hot summer.

You might want to check for leaks...or have the City replace your parents' meter.

According to the City of Houston's 2005 water rates (2006 rates don't go into effect until the May 2006 bill), your parents would have to use 21,000 - 27,000 gallons per month to rack up a $150-$200 water bill! That's a ton of water, nearly 1,000 gallons per day. Or, to be more accurate, that's between 3-4 tons of water, PER DAY!

Unless they run a laundry service out of their house, that sounds pretty high.

You might want to check for leaks...or have the City replace your parents' meter.

According to the City of Houston's 2005 water rates (2006 rates don't go into effect until the May 2006 bill), your parents would have to use 21,000 - 27,000 gallons per month to rack up a $150-$200 water bill! That's a ton of water, nearly 1,000 gallons per day. Or, to be more accurate, that's between 3-4 tons of water, PER DAY!

Unless they run a laundry service out of their house, that sounds pretty high.

been there done that. i did find one toilet that was leaking. they do have lots of plants and a swimming pool which is definately a contributor as well. however when i'm there, i don't see them using water that much.

i know their meter has been replaced. they can't believe mine is so cheap which makes it more frustrating.

The pool could account for as much as 8,000 gallons per month in evaporation alone. Leaks could add to the total. If your retired parents are like my retired parents, they probably spend way too much time attending to their yard, as well. This results in more water use for irrigation than is usually needed.

So, even though 21,000 sounds out of whack to a guy like me who has no pool and waters once a week, it may not be far from what they actually use.

Archived