Houston as an Environmental Leader

Nice idea, but it is almost laughable to think of Houston becoming an environmental leader.

really? houston is EXACTLY the city that could make environmental history. houston has a reputation for pollution, houston has the largest refining capacity in our country (75% of nations refining?), houston is known for it's entrepreneurial spirit, and, certainly not least, groundbreaking science and technology.

i don't remember where i read about the significance of houston's refineries, someone else may have input on that point.

is it in the japanese language that the word for a problem is the same word for opportunity?

FLW saw limitations as opportunities to do something unique.

• 1 month later...

Although Houston has its share of environmental problems we have the resources and technology to transition from one of the most polluted cities into one that is a leader in efficiiecy.

CLEAN, a local non-profit organization has been producing a series of articles called "Houston as a Model City: Meeting the challenges of an environmental crisis" examining these issues. The series is expected to last throughout the year and is available at http://www.cleanhouston.org/living/better_world/index.htm

• 2 months later...
Link to full article

Nice idea, but it is almost laughable to think of Houston becoming an environmental leader.

Since I was a kid, Houston has made some major improvements, usually by the year it was required to comply. Houston could be an environmental topic or reference for that reason. Houston is still dealing with major environmental issues, still to speak.

We all know it, we just tend not to think about it or just igore the issues. Houston could be a demonstration of environmental awareness and/or action if the residents of Houston would also comply with the requirements. There is trash and waste all over the streets and highways thrown there by residents! I've been fighting this battle with Houston residents for over 20 years.

Austin, by far in large cities, is in the lead as far as Texas city environmental improvements and awareness go. Please correct me if you know the lastest city in Texas with better environmental accomplishments.

Archived