Another mod lost to remuddling

rps324

Amazing that the roofline appearance could make that big of a deal to the owners or to perspective buyers (assuming this is a flip). or maybe it will be a dormered second story???

hard to tell from your original pic but it does look like the old roof wasnt completely flat - so reroofing it to repair a badly maintained leak prone flat roof would be less of an excuse.

Have they started stucco-ing over the brick yet? :wacko:

rps: thanks for posting the pictures. And ruining my day. :P

Seriously, you're doing a public service, like those people who post pictures in convenience stores of known criminals. "Surely," some may exclaim, "you're not comparing the remodeling of a house with lawbreakers!" Yes, I am. There ought to be a law, as the saying goes.

By pointing out the folly of trying to 'fix' something that's not broken that makes people consider and appreciate what the house represent(ed) in its original form. When this awareness is shared with others, it's a step towards preventing such errors in taste and judgement in the future.

or maybe it will be a dormered second story???

For tiny, tiny people, maybe...looks awfully low.

Have they started stucco-ing over the brick yet? :wacko:

Right after they replace the real trees with fake ones. :rolleyes:

why didn't they just get a house like that from the start? :angry2:

i share the same sentiments - there are all kinds of houses in houston (the more interesting kind, in my opinion, becoming few)

kind of like haif2's beloved friend maria isabel and her love for sixth ward :angry:

i can understand why they want to raise the pitch because low-pitched roof like that is just not a good idea in wooded area. but.... (if you look closely, they are actually building on top of the existing roof, i.e. saving original roof....)

why didn't they just get a house like that from the start? :angry2:

exactly.

It just aggravates me when there are so many people out there who would have loved to have this home, and paid for it, and as hard as it is to find good mods don't think I haven't knocked on the door and sent notes more than once trying to get them to sell it. They could have sold it for a good price and gotten some new house in Sagemont area or something. Instead they do this. I know they can, I just wish they would have let me sell it so it could have been saved instead of converting it from an architectural treasure into some architectural disaster.

Does the new roof have hurricane straps? I doubt the original one does, but in new homes, surely they must be required.

I am not up to date on current regulations but it used to be that hurricane straps were not required that far north. I believe all of Galveston county requires them and the parts of Harris County near Clear Lake.

The state sets a minimum requirement based on the windstorm risk zones. Individual communities can increase the requirement in their own codes.

There may be some minimal amount now required for all of Harris. any builders out there know?

I am not up to date on current regulations but it used to be that hurricane straps were not required that far north. I believe all of Galveston county requires them and the parts of Harris County near Clear Lake.

The state sets a minimum requirement based on the windstorm risk zones. Individual communities can increase the requirement in their own codes.

There may be some minimal amount now required for all of Harris. any builders out there know?

The City of Houston requires them as well, but take your inspector out to lunch and you won't need them either.

Does the new roof have hurricane straps? I doubt the original one does, but in new homes, surely they must be required.

In a case such as this one, no straps might be a blessing in disguise. A good category 3 might put this house well on its way back to original condition. And a lucky neighbor will end up with a new roof for free! :lol:

I doubt it is an investor. It would be hard to justify that much framing on a flip.

What neighborhood is this in?

Glenbrook Valley on Glenview.

I'm going to have to walk my great dane by there. When she craps in the yard I won't pick it up. I'll consider it her personal statement.

She'll stop crapping in their yard when they stop crapping on the house.

I drove by last night in a state of shock. What is going on with this street? This is the 3rd house on the block that has been severely altered recently. I looked at and considered the cool green mod when it was for sale last year - now I'm glad I decided against it. I wouldn't have been able to look at this devastation on a daily basis...not without some good pills.

I drove by last night in a state of shock. What is going on with this street? This is the 3rd house on the block that has been severely altered recently. I looked at and considered the cool green mod when it was for sale last year - now I'm glad I decided against it. I wouldn't have been able to look at this devastation on a daily basis...not without some good pills.

You looked at that %&^* mod too? Yes, that is the last one of the 54 Parade mods left undamaged. The mod-ish ranch with the circle drive landed in good hands, but not before a bad remuddle to the kitchen and one of the baths. EVERYONE looked at that fool green mod and no one took it at that time. Architect Kathy Heard was seriously considering it, as was an Architecture Professor from U of H, a Designer named Derrick was going to get it, about the same time Travis & Karen Moyers - Stodelle of Metro Modern were looking at it. But nobody would ante up the whopping $113,000 it took to get it at that time. :blink:

I am going to get that one into a modster's hands yet. It is certainly too cool to lose. But you can bet it won't be for that price anymore.

That's my rant for the day

P.S. - Buy the green one & I'll get you a prescription! ;)

Archived