Big Head On Main Street By David Adickes

dbigtex56

Who commisioned Adickes to do this piece ?

I haven't been by to see it yet.. is it in front of a building down there or off on its own?

I think the City of Houston should commision him to do a 80 ft Jeff Bagwell peering over the trees of the NW corner of Memorial park.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been by to see it yet.. is it in front of a building down there or off on its own?

it is adjacent to the older building of the savoy, and in the lawn (?) of the drive through bank/parking area, on the west side of main at leeland

What identity? That we are HUGE rednecks?

Hey, i like the cowboy image. I dont think its a negative image. Its an image of Texas that portrays the rough tough go get em attitude from the early years of the cattle drives through bad weather and rough unforgiving enviroments........with all of that, The Cowboy still stood tall......... :):):):):)

So who owns it.. who paid him to put it there ?

no one knows yet, apparently - i can't find any news/journal articles on it, and last time i went by, the base was still incomplete.

i also checked the city of houston's municipal art page, and nothing...

maybe a call to their office would help answer that question...

no one knows yet, apparently - i can't find any news/journal articles on it, and last time i went by, the base was still incomplete.

i also checked the city of houston's municipal art page, and nothing...

maybe a call to their office would help answer that question...

I'm thinking the people at the drive-in bank would know. Anyone working downtown could stop by and ask?

Cowboy doesn't = redneck.

Cowboy doesn't = redneck.

Cowboy doesn't = Houston, either.

Cotton, lumber, trains, ports = Houston

Though Texas Avenue was designed "14 steer", or 100 feet wide, for cattle drives, most cattle arrived by rail. Houston was settled by, and made famous by, businessmen and traders, not cowboys.

it's actually some sort of grease/poo smudged on her neck

*gag*

Didn't take long for the art critics to chime in.

What exactly would you tell someone visiting what the statue is?

I'd tell them, "It's a Big Head on Main Street."

So who owns it.. who paid him to put it there ?

We don't know yet. It's entirely possible that he paid someone to put it there.

But seriously.

Now that the thing's there, how do we go about getting rid of it?

Now that the thing's there, how do we go about getting rid of it?

You could probably find some art critics to do the job. :D

Seriously, though, this is a somewhat isolated location for a big head. It seems that the only people who will probably see it will be riders on the train. I would think somewhere further north on Main would work better.

Seriously, though, this is a somewhat isolated location for a big head. It seems that the only people who will probably see it will be riders on the train. I would think somewhere further north on Main would work better.

agreed. for such a large head it is not very conspicuous.

She's got a great big goiter on her neck.

That's another one of those charming things about Houston -- A giant head appears downtown and people treat it as a passing curiosity because they're so used to Addickes' work. I can't think of any other city that has a living artist that has such a great impact on a regular basis.

Big Head On Main Street has piqued my curiousity. Nothing has shown up in Google News as of yet, so I made a phone call to Patricia C. Johnson, art critic at the Houston Chronicle. She was out of the office. I left a message asking for information, and if she intended to comment on it in her column.

I then tried the Houston Press, as their offices are a mere two blocks away from BHOMS. The gentleman who answered the phone said that some of their employees had questioned the construction workers who installed it, but as of yet they have no information. He also said that there will be no mention of the sculpture in this week's Press due to deadline constraints, but that there should be something in the following week's issue.

So here's my idea: let's barrage the Houston Press with email inquiries from HAIF members with the heading "Big Head On Main Street?" and see what happens. With luck, they may see the humor in it, and mention it in a column. Perhaps the name will stick. Also, we may get a plug for Houston Architectural Information Forum at the same time.

The guy who writes "Hair Balls" seems like a likely fellow - here's his email address: rich.connelly@houstonpress.com

So here's my idea: let's barrage the Houston Press with email inquiries from haif2 members with the heading "Big Head On Main Street?" and see what happens. With luck, they may see the humor in it, and mention it in a column. Perhaps the name will stick. Also, we may get a plug for Houston Architectural Information Forum at the same time.

The guy who writes "Hair Balls" seems like a likely fellow - here's his email address: rich.connelly@houstonpress.com

Done.

B)

Here it is.

April 19, 2006, 1:17AM

CONTEMPORARY ART

'Elegance' floats in sea of downtown parking lots

The artist says giant cement head represents return of aesthetics

By ALLAN TURNER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

You'd never mistake her for Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin. Both of those Texas heroes

"It's in contrast to all of that other k-r-a-p," he said. "It's an attempt to elevate aesthetics where it was 15 or 20 years ago. Aesthetics went out the window and it's looking to come home."

Mom...David spelled the 'k' word...

So is the title "Elegance" or "Looking Forward"?

Neither is an improvement on BHOMS - and it still looks like a 14 year old girl's doodle during study hall.

"Gorgeous"? "Peaceful"?

That's not what the dude standing next to me yesterday at lunchtime, said. "What the f*ck is that?", were his remarks. Since I had taken the train down there specifically to look at this...umm..."contemporary art", I practically busted a gut laughing when he said it. I told him we had been debating it. He thought it was a monument to drive-thru banking, as was suggested here.

Now, we know it is a monument to surface parking lots. :o

Archived