DePelchin Faith Home At 2700 Albany St.

DMac

Edit: The DePelcin Faith Home would have had multiple city addresses? There was many buildings, or it was that large? One address was 4950 Memorial Drive.

Are there any campus kids {now adults} that lved @ and remember the wonderfull life a kid had while living there during the late 40's to mid 50's @ the Sandman {12 acre} campus. It was located along Shepherd Dr. back when it was a 2 way str. and across the street was Geo. Washing Jr, HS which I thank now has some connection w/HPD and also St. Thomas School for boys.

Across the str. from Sandman admin Bldg. was the Florence Crittenten Home for what in those days were termed unwed mothers. Faith Home had a 25 bed Hosp./clinic for the new borns to be adopted. BTW the Home is 112 years old. Yep been around a very long time. The Shepherd campus was build during the '39-'41 time period I believe.

Also Pine Tree Camp was a really kool place they would take kids for 3 weeks during the summer. Itz history I heard was that it once was a farm. Anyway over the intervening years the Harris Cnty YMCA took possesion of it. It is still there {709 Riley Fuzzell} in Spring just as I remembered it sum 50+ years ago.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

• Like 1

Timeline on establishment and building of De Pelchin Faith Home

1892 Chartered as "Faith Home" by Mrs. Kezia De Pelchin on Center Str. a block from Glenwood car line, just back of the BAptist Mission Chapel.

1892 {5/24} Moved to Major Looscan's Bldg. on Washington tween Wrights' garden & Glenwood cemetery.

1893 Mrs. DePelchin passed away

1895 Four lots {Pierce & Chenevert} were obtained and institution moved to a frame structure on the property.

1899 First permanent Bldg. completed {$11K} 2 1/2 stories w/accomdations for 30 children.

1913 {4/5} 5 lots donated 2700 block of Albany. New 3 story w/basement {fireproof} Bldg. erected w/accomdations for 75 children.

1927 12 acre campus {Shepherd/Memorial Dr.} was purchased.

1934 50 acre farm near Spring {709 Riley Fuzzell Rd} as summer camp 4 {40} children is purchased. Today that camp is owned/operated by Harris Cnty YMCA.

1937 Const. @ 12 acre campus {Shepherd/Memorial} began

1938 {9/15} ready to occupy. Today this would be called issued certificate to occupy.

1939 an aditional cottage is added. Campus now includes 11 structures w/accomodations for 160 kids.

Edited by DMac
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Are there any campus kids {now adults} that lved @ and remember the wonderfull life a kid had while living there during the late 40's to mid 50's @ the Sandman {12 acre} campus. It was located along Shepherd Dr. back when it was a 2 way str. and across the street was Geo. Washing Jr, HS which I thank now has some connection w/HPD and also St. Thomas School for boys.

Across the str. from Sandman admin Bldg. was the Florence Crittenten Home for what in those days were termed unwed mothers. Faith Home had a 25 bed Hosp./clinic for the new borns to be adopted. BTW the Home is 112 years old. Yep been around a very long time. The Shepherd campus was build during the '39-'41 time period I believe.

Also Pine Tree Camp was a really kool place they would take kids for 3 weeks during the summer. Itz history I heard was that it once was a farm. Anyway over the intervening years the Harris Cnty YMCA took possesion of it. It is still there {709 Riley Fuzzell} in Spring just as I remembered it sum 50+ years ago.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

I lived there in the 70's, but life was much the same as you described it from the 40's and 50's. I even went to Pine Tree Camp. We spent 3 weeks there just like you did. I worked there as a Jr. Counselor for 2 summers. How long did you live at Faith Home?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Respectfully

Danny Mac

I lived there for 2 years....1960 - 62. There were several cottages on the grounds, an infirmary, a dining hall. Oh yea, and a recreation Center! There was also a small rectangular pool that we talked the adminitrators into cleaning up and letting us use one summer. However, one of the kids fell and chipped his tooth and busted his lip and so once again the pool was closed. I went to an elementary school while there....Cleveland School....but I can't remember quite where it is (or was?). Also, Hurricane Carla hit Houston while I was living at Depelchin. My oldest daughter lives off of Dunlavy and I pass the Depelchin Center when I go to her house. I don't ever see children there...what is it used for now?

You mentioned Pine Tree Camp. I also attended that camp in the summer and have great memories of being there. We had some wonderful opportunities and fun times there.

I found this site and topic quite by accident and I am so glad that I did!!

Patty

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

DMac - My mother lived at Depelchin Faith Home, from about 1939 to 1950.  She lived there at the Sandman {12 acre} campus.  Her name was Lillian Charanza.  Do you by any chance remember her?  She passed away May 2008.  I am trying to pull together information and stories about Faith Home so I can write a book.  I would appreciate any information or stories from anyone who lived there, especially during that time that she was there.  I created a Facebook page for her, just as a memory to her.  (Lillian Charanza Curry).  She went to George Washington Jr High and then to Reagan High School where she was a cheerleader.  I remember some stories she told me growing up - I do remember her talking about the fun they all had a Pine Tree Camp, and she also mentioned going to a dance at St. Thomas School for boys.  Her cottage mother was Ms Murphy, who she dearly loved.  She and my Dad used to take me and my brothers to the Christmas programs at Faith Home, and I got to meet Ms Murphy there.  I know there were not many cameras back then, but if anyone has any photographs of that time, I would love to include them in my book.  It has been difficult to find photos of the Sandman location.  Thanks for what you have shared - it brought back a few things that I had not remembered for a long time.  By the way, my mother married my dad when she was 17, and he was 19.  They had 4 children, three boys and one girl (me).  Two of my bothers have retired from the Houston PD, and one retired from TDCJ.  I recently retired this year from a software development company, and also from TDCJ.  My brothers and I have contributed greatly to our family by providing many grandkids and great-grandkids!  :)  My Dad is still living in the Houston/Spring area.  He retired as a US Postal Carrier and a Baptist Pastor.  We all miss my Mom - she was an exceptional lady - all who knew her loved her deeply. 

IMG_3918.JPG

mom4 001.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My family lived on Gibson street just a few blocks from there until 1958 when we moved to the Montrose area. I went to school at Ben Milam and there were several kids from Faith Home that went to school with me. I have fond memories of us playing together. I wish I could remember some names but my mind is slipping as I get older.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I lived at Faith Home for 5 years. I think 1966-1971. Wondering how everyone is doing. I became a teacher and often think of the children I knew at Faith Home. Please feel free to email me at ramontatx@yahoo.com if you were there or know some who was during those years. Have to admit. Faith Home probably saved my life. Giving me a safe place to sleep, food, and much needed structure during my teens changed my trajectory. Hope to hear others fared ok as well.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2016 at 3:58 PM, debbiecurryhilz said:

DMac - My mother lived at Depelchin Faith Home, from about 1939 to 1950.  She lived there at the Sandman {12 acre} campus.  Her name was Lillian Charanza.  Do you by any chance remember her?  She passed away May 2008.  I am trying to pull together information and stories about Faith Home so I can write a book.  I would appreciate any information or stories from anyone who lived there, especially during that time that she was there.  I created a Facebook page for her, just as a memory to her.  (Lillian Charanza Curry).  She went to George Washington Jr High and then to Reagan High School where she was a cheerleader.  I remember some stories she told me growing up - I do remember her talking about the fun they all had a Pine Tree Camp, and she also mentioned going to a dance at St. Thomas School for boys.  Her cottage mother was Ms Murphy, who she dearly loved.  She and my Dad used to take me and my brothers to the Christmas programs at Faith Home, and I got to meet Ms Murphy there.  I know there were not many cameras back then, but if anyone has any photographs of that time, I would love to include them in my book.  It has been difficult to find photos of the Sandman location.  Thanks for what you have shared - it brought back a few things that I had not remembered for a long time.  By the way, my mother married my dad when she was 17, and he was 19.  They had 4 children, three boys and one girl (me).  Two of my bothers have retired from the Houston PD, and one retired from TDCJ.  I recently retired this year from a software development company, and also from TDCJ.  My brothers and I have contributed greatly to our family by providing many grandkids and great-grandkids!  :)  My Dad is still living in the Houston/Spring area.  He retired as a US Postal Carrier and a Baptist Pastor.  We all miss my Mom - she was an exceptional lady - all who knew her loved her deeply. 

IMG_3918.JPG

mom4 001.jpg

I’m and so happy I found this conversation! My father and his brothers lived at Faith Home when they were kids. They went to a foster home and where eventually spit up. He went back there again before being adopted and living in Rosenberg with the Wests’. My dad was born in 1941, his name is Thomas Gene West (Huffman before being adopted). I would love to hear if anyone knew him. He told me stories and spoke fondly of his time there. I wish I would’ve listened more but I was young and thought he would be here forever, sadly he passed in 2008. I do remember him saying they were given a small allowance and he would go see a movie. I’m guessing the one on w. Grey?  He took me by there when I was a teenager. Maybe someone remembers his brothers..?  Julius Kent Huffman and his other brother Patrick. I remember he said his mom would come visit him but was unable to care for him. His dad also came to visit but when he was 10 he learned his father had died. I sure wish there were pics of Faith Home during that time period. I would love to see what it was like when he was there. He’s been gone for over ten years now but I still miss him terribly. Any info general or specific about him or that time period would be greatly appreciated! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone , I pray all is well during this pandemic. I would like to introduce myself, my birth name was Brenda Joyce Hopkins, I am now known as Kathryn Louise Sommer, adopted name . I am 56 yrs of age ,and I was placed at Depelchin ,I assume at the faith home off Shepard . This event happened in 1964-65. There were four of us siblings. My older brother and then me and a younger brother and an infant sister. Our mother placed us in foster care and was told to come back in two weeks . So in that two weeks ,she manage get a couple of pay check in her pocket and found all of us a lil apt. Oh did I forget to mention that my bio father had been put in prison for stealing payroll checks while his boss was out of town . So when our mother came back to retrieve myself and my siblings, Depelchin told her no and that we all were up for adoption, basically to go away she no longer has rights to us . I can't even imagine this . So she went on with her life the best she could broken hearted . Let me say this also she had very little education . Did not read well not write anything but her name . Now to the ugly parts that Depelchin never speaks on, in any arrival that has ever been done on them. My older brother I spoke on earlier in this post , was 5 yrs old at this time . Once we ,were there the separated the boys from us girls . But close enough for ear shot. He could hear us crying and calling for our mom and him , so he kept telling who ever was in charge of him that he need to go see about little sister and myself. And of course they refused him , and so he fought them physically. So their answer to this behavior was shock treatment. He resisted for so long they fried his brain . He is now 58 with the mind of a 3-4 yr. old. He has several Grand mall seziures a day. We know these facts because they admitted what they did to his adopted parents . And we have found him many yrs ago ,in this condition . His adopted parents have passed on now, but he has a wonderful sister that loves him as we do. He is my hero and always will be . Now they also did this to me ,but my memories were erased ,I guess easier. I want a mother of 5 daughters and I have 16 grands and 1 great grandson. I have raised and hello raise many of mine from birth. And right now I have a 4 yr old grandson,and I know if u took him away from all of his family he would remember his name his Mama's name ,well u get what I am saying. Now the two younger ones ,ok they were so young that they naturally would remember. I have an great photographic memory now , but I can't remember anything before the day that I literally,was brought to an office and the lady said Kathryn these are ur new parents and ur lil brother , another child they had adopted  prier to me but I was 17 months older.  They also placed of with a couple that divorced with in 2 yrs of my adoption. Our adopted father, let us both know that he only agreed to the adoptins to shut up my mother . He never wanted children really. But don't get me wrong he did come to live us both very much. Now our adopted mother had juvenile diabetes that was never under control. Also diagnosed manic depression, Wich is now know as bio- polar , schedule 1. 2 suicide attempts that us two children found her ,all this before elementary school had completed. I apologise for the lenghth. And there is so much more . I am not here to bash Depelchin, I'm sure they were doing their best for the times . I just wonder how many others like us were done that way. God bless everyone . And everyone please stay safe out there . If anyone has any ?, Please feel free to contact me at nanakbubbles02@yahoo.com peace and love , Kathryn

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...

I was in DePelchin from October '80 to December '81. I was in Cottage 6 at the Shepherd/Memorial property. At the time I was "diagnosed" with behavioral problems. We were across the field from cottages 1-3, which were for adoption-related kids, but we all had kickball games together and I remember the gym, which had a free jukebox. It was a great place at the time and I remember many other residents and staff from my stay there, and wonder how they are doing.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have been looking for a close friend of mine in the middle to late 60s. His name is Ronnie Hudson he was friends with Jerry White son of one of the cottage mothers. If anyone knows anything about Ronnie please please email me @ paulagomez262@yahoo.com my Maiden name is Sloan. Paula Sloan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My name is Tony Kinchloe, I was at Faith Home on 100 Sandman until I graduated from high school in 1977. My cottage mother Ms Allen, our cottage was beside the ravine. 

I did go to Pine Tree Camp for several summers, the 3 week session for boys and the boys/girls session 3 weeks. I loved it, we had two ghosts that roamed the campsite, Old Lady White and Leaky Eye Amos.

For the most part find memories of both places. If you were there at that time, please feel free to email me @ tonekinch@gmail.com

peace TonyK

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I, Anna Goad and my sister, Susan, and for a short time, my brother Westy (he was 12 at the time, and ran away, made it back to my uncle's house and then went to live with my father) was at Faith home from early 1968 to just before Christmas of that same year. My mom was going through a divorce and couldn't support us, so put us in the home until she got on her feet.  They told her, just before Christmas, if she didn't get us out, we would be put up for adoption. I remember it snowing, but couldn't play because I was sick in infirmary. I remember going to the camp, didn't know it's name, that summer. I remember the cottages, with big barn/gym down the hill from them. We had so much fun, rolling down the hill, although we paid later with itchy skin. I remember going to edge of fence, looking out across a busy road across a river?, at a gaming park, and so wishing I could go. My mom had given me a Madam Alexander doll, the Christmas before we went in, but shortly after we got there, they insisted on putting it in storage. When we got out, it couldn't be found. So my mom got me another one, made some beautiful clothes for it. I STILL HAVE IT, with the clothes she made and the ones I made for it too. It is precious to me. I tried to find the Sand campus about 15 yrs ago. But only the main office was still there. Gone was the long building with the arched windows to the right of it, and I didn't see any of the cottages or the long sloping hill down to the gym. I  moved back to the Houston area about 4 yrs ago, and I went downtown today, to see if I could find it. Nothing. I was quite disappointed that there wasn't any type of memorial or preservation of the original buildings. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to DePelchin Faith Home At 4950 Memorial Dr.

I never knew Ben Taub was the President of the DePelcin Faith Home. Very cool!!

Is the actual address on Sandman? The campus was big, maybe there was several addresses?

From the newspaper Labor Messenger dated September 20, 1946:

Members of the Houston Labor and Trades Council and the Women's Auxiliary of the Council will have a dinner meeting at the DePelchin Faith Home Tuesday, September 24, at 6:00 p.m.

The meeting will offer Council members and their wives, Auxiliary members and their husbands an opportunity to get first hand information about Community Chest agencies and their work.

Ben Taub, president of Faith Home, will be host to the group and will discuss with them the work of Faith Home--

uoph5Ll.jpg

• 2 months later...

City book of Houston 1925 : containing a survey of the city administration, an analysis of the port of Houston, a historical sketch of Houston, and a brief outline of the activities of the various city departments

Publication date 1925

Every year the City of Houston appropriates large sums of money toward the maintenance of a score of charitable institutions and among those received the benefits are the DePelchin Faith Home and Harris County Training School for Boys.

laruGGx.jpg

The DePelchin Faith Home.

7KNeqRp.jpg

• The title was changed to DePelchin Faith Home At 2700 Albany St.
  • 1 month later...