DMac

DePelchin Faith Home & Pine Tree Camp

DMac    6

Are there any campus kids {now adults} that lved @ and remember the wonderfull life a kid had while living there during the late 40's to mid 50's @ the Sandman {12 acre} campus. It was located along Shepherd Dr. back when it was a 2 way str. and across the street was Geo. Washing Jr, HS which I thank now has some connection w/HPD and also St. Thomas School for boys.

Across the str. from Sandman admin Bldg. was the Florence Crittenten Home for what in those days were termed unwed mothers. Faith Home had a 25 bed Hosp./clinic for the new borns to be adopted. BTW the Home is 112 years old. Yep been around a very long time. The Shepherd campus was build during the '39-'41 time period I believe.

Also Pine Tree Camp was a really kool place they would take kids for 3 weeks during the summer. Itz history I heard was that it once was a farm. Anyway over the intervening years the Harris Cnty YMCA took possesion of it. It is still there {709 Riley Fuzzell} in Spring just as I remembered it sum 50+ years ago.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

dbigtex56    302

Was the Shepard Dr. location fairly new at that time?

It's my understanding that the previous site of the DePelchin Faith Home (on Albany Street) was in use as an orphanage until the 40's.

DMac    6

Timeline on establishment and building of De Pelchin Faith Home

1892 Chartered as "Faith Home" by Mrs. Kezia De Pelchin on Center Str. a block from Glenwood car line, just back of the BAptist Mission Chapel.

1892 {5/24} Moved to Major Looscan's Bldg. on Washington tween Wrights' garden & Glenwood cemetery.

1893 Mrs. DePelchin passed away

1895 Four lots {Pierce & Chenevert} were obtained and institution moved to a frame structure on the property.

1899 First permanent Bldg. completed {$11K} 2 1/2 stories w/accomdations for 30 children.

1913 {4/5} 5 lots donated 2700 block of Albany. New 3 story w/basement {fireproof} Bldg. erected w/accomdations for 75 children.

1927 12 acre campus {Shepherd/Memorial Dr.} was purchased.

1934 50 acre farm near Spring {709 Riley Fuzzell Rd} as summer camp 4 {40} children is purchased. Today that camp is owned/operated by Harris Cnty YMCA.

1937 Const. @ 12 acre campus {Shepherd/Memorial} began

1938 {9/15} ready to occupy. Today this would be called issued certificate to occupy.

1939 an aditional cottage is added. Campus now includes 11 structures w/accomodations for 160 kids.

Edited by DMac

sootycat    10
Are there any campus kids {now adults} that lved @ and remember the wonderfull life a kid had while living there during the late 40's to mid 50's @ the Sandman {12 acre} campus. It was located along Shepherd Dr. back when it was a 2 way str. and across the street was Geo. Washing Jr, HS which I thank now has some connection w/HPD and also St. Thomas School for boys.

Across the str. from Sandman admin Bldg. was the Florence Crittenten Home for what in those days were termed unwed mothers. Faith Home had a 25 bed Hosp./clinic for the new borns to be adopted. BTW the Home is 112 years old. Yep been around a very long time. The Shepherd campus was build during the '39-'41 time period I believe.

Also Pine Tree Camp was a really kool place they would take kids for 3 weeks during the summer. Itz history I heard was that it once was a farm. Anyway over the intervening years the Harris Cnty YMCA took possesion of it. It is still there {709 Riley Fuzzell} in Spring just as I remembered it sum 50+ years ago.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

I lived there in the 70's, but life was much the same as you described it from the 40's and 50's. I even went to Pine Tree Camp. We spent 3 weeks there just like you did. I worked there as a Jr. Counselor for 2 summers. How long did you live at Faith Home?

pmb    0

Respectfully

Danny Mac

I lived there for 2 years....1960 - 62. There were several cottages on the grounds, an infirmary, a dining hall. Oh yea, and a recreation Center! There was also a small rectangular pool that we talked the adminitrators into cleaning up and letting us use one summer. However, one of the kids fell and chipped his tooth and busted his lip and so once again the pool was closed. I went to an elementary school while there....Cleveland School....but I can't remember quite where it is (or was?). Also, Hurricane Carla hit Houston while I was living at Depelchin. My oldest daughter lives off of Dunlavy and I pass the Depelchin Center when I go to her house. I don't ever see children there...what is it used for now?

You mentioned Pine Tree Camp. I also attended that camp in the summer and have great memories of being there. We had some wonderful opportunities and fun times there.

I found this site and topic quite by accident and I am so glad that I did!!

Patty

DMac - My mother lived at Depelchin Faith Home, from about 1939 to 1950.  She lived there at the Sandman {12 acre} campus.  Her name was Lillian Charanza.  Do you by any chance remember her?  She passed away May 2008.  I am trying to pull together information and stories about Faith Home so I can write a book.  I would appreciate any information or stories from anyone who lived there, especially during that time that she was there.  I created a Facebook page for her, just as a memory to her.  (Lillian Charanza Curry).  She went to George Washington Jr High and then to Reagan High School where she was a cheerleader.  I remember some stories she told me growing up - I do remember her talking about the fun they all had a Pine Tree Camp, and she also mentioned going to a dance at St. Thomas School for boys.  Her cottage mother was Ms Murphy, who she dearly loved.  She and my Dad used to take me and my brothers to the Christmas programs at Faith Home, and I got to meet Ms Murphy there.  I know there were not many cameras back then, but if anyone has any photographs of that time, I would love to include them in my book.  It has been difficult to find photos of the Sandman location.  Thanks for what you have shared - it brought back a few things that I had not remembered for a long time.  By the way, my mother married my dad when she was 17, and he was 19.  They had 4 children, three boys and one girl (me).  Two of my bothers have retired from the Houston PD, and one retired from TDCJ.  I recently retired this year from a software development company, and also from TDCJ.  My brothers and I have contributed greatly to our family by providing many grandkids and great-grandkids!  :)  My Dad is still living in the Houston/Spring area.  He retired as a US Postal Carrier and a Baptist Pastor.  We all miss my Mom - she was an exceptional lady - all who knew her loved her deeply. 

IMG_3918.JPG

mom4 001.jpg

Michelle C    82

My family lived on Gibson street just a few blocks from there until 1958 when we moved to the Montrose area. I went to school at Ben Milam and there were several kids from Faith Home that went to school with me. I have fond memories of us playing together. I wish I could remember some names but my mind is slipping as I get older.

• Like 1

ramonatx    0

I lived at Faith Home for 5 years. I think 1966-1971. Wondering how everyone is doing. I became a teacher and often think of the children I knew at Faith Home. Please feel free to email me at ramontatx@yahoo.com if you were there or know some who was during those years. Have to admit. Faith Home probably saved my life. Giving me a safe place to sleep, food, and much needed structure during my teens changed my trajectory. Hope to hear others fared ok as well.