Will Downtown Ever See A 700+ Foot Building Again

Will downtown ever get a 700+ foot building again? The tallest buildings that were built since 2000 we all know were Enron Center South and 1000 Main(I still don't know what that building is used for.) Will there be another company to move to Houston that will force the city to build another super tall scraper, like Texaco, Chevron, Enron, and others have done in the last 20 years? In my opinion, I do not see this happening for a while, unless Citgo decides to build something. What are your thoughts?

When energy deregulated, the geniuses at HL&P/Houston Industries decided to split into 2 seperate companies, hence, the downward spiral of Reliant...

Anyway, the building at Louisiana and Dallas now houses CenterPoint Energy. They also have office space for lease. I guess since Reliant was getting a little extra money from round trip trading, they wanted a brand new building in which to do their bidding.

Anything is possible, I suppose, but with current economic conditons it is hard to imagine a scenario in which 700+ foot skyscrapers would be built downtown in the foreseeable future. The demand isn't there, steel and concrete are pushing up construction costs, and fewer companies are interested in having large trophy towers. We probably would have to wait for another boom like the 1990s for any significant new downtown towers to be built.

• The title was changed to Will Downtown Ever See A 700+ Foot Building Again

Archived