Genora White Kitchen #2

616 Main

Demolished

Genora2.jpg

Genora's White Kitchen

1007-1009 Main

Demolished

oct21houston2.jpg

Thanks, Subdude for all the pics and postcards. Re: The Plantation - if this is the same one I've seen mentioned in ads and 'nightlife' columns in the papers in the 40s and 50s, this was one of the biggest nightspots in town. It was so well known the ads and stories never mentioned an address; I thought it was on lower Main.

Genora's #2 looks like a chili parlor on the outside but the interior of the other one is too fancy. Do you have any dates on these?

Genora's #2 looks like a chili parlor on the outside but the interior of the other one is too fancy. Do you have any dates on these?

Genora's #2 looks like it may be from 1916, but I can't tell for sure. I have a note that it stayed in business through the 1920s. No date on the color one in the 1000 block.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Probably some chemical assistance. B)

That reminds me of Cheech & Chong's "Big Bambu" album. "Unamerican Bandstand" hosted by Laid-Back Lenny. He said: "We now have the winner of the 'How many downers you can drop' contest". "The lead singer of the band couldn't make it because he stuck himself in the eye with a coke spoon".

• 6 months later...
How can people be "laid back" with loud, live music playing?

I used to run the door at Club Bojangles and under it La Bastille. Killer music, man. Wayne Cochran, the blue eyed king of soul, Buddy Rich, Fats Domino, The New Christy Minstrels. One night at La Bastille a bum-looking fellow came down to the club so I doubled the door fee to try to keep him out. A minute later the bar manager came running to the door asking me if I had charged the man. I proudly told him the story. He said, "You can't charge him - that's Woody Herman!"

After hours we used to go down to The Cellar and take our own bottle so we could drink. The picture on this site of The Cellar makes it look much nicer and hipper that I remember. It was very rundown, no live band, fleabitten sleeping bags on the floor, and the "entertainment" was local hookers who strutted, in a wobbly fashion, their stuff on the runway, stripping at they went.

I'm amazed that those brain cells are still there and functioning.

Speaking of "Bojangles"...

Does anybody else here remember that restaurant/club Sonny Look had on Market Square in the early 70s? My dates and I frequented that place a lot because he booked in some pretty big name entertainers. I remember seeing the Four Freshmen, and anybody who ever saw those guys can testify to how great a show they put on.

Ray Rogers and the Bojangles also performed there just before, or at about the same time that he was opening his own club Bojangles over on Franklin. Of all the local entertainers I've seen over the years, I still regard Ray and his group as the most talented and most entertaining. They just put on one helluva show.

Ray gave Lisa Hartman her first singing opportunities. Speaking of, I know that Ray's now married to Jonni Hartman, and is Lisa's step-father, and Clint Black's step-father in law, but does he still perform anywhere?

And as long as we're talking about Ray and the Bojangles, does anybody know whatever happened to Rex Kramer, the Bojangles' original front man? After his "thing" with Liza Minnelli, he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

Sometime around 1970, Liza Minnelli did some shows in Houston, and while she was in town she went to The Bojangles show one night. She and Kramer immediately went into heat for each other. She liked Kramer so much she took them all on the road with her as her backup group, but that was mainly to stay "close" to Kramer. He wasn't totally useless -- he arranged a lot of her recordings -- and was with her in Germany during the filming of Cabaret.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from a Time Magazine article about Liza. written in 1972.

"Unlike most of her romances, the affair with Rex ended with some unpleasantness. Rex's ex-wife is suing Liza for $500,000, charging alienation of affection. Rex, who now plays in joints in Houston, apparently saw a more unstable side of her nature than did most other people. "The pace she sets for herself is simply terrific," he says, "but she just can't slow down. She would worry about not sleeping and would start taking downers to help herself." He describes terrible tantrums, after which she would "literally rave, then collapse."

Liza angrily rebuts him point by point and now claims that she knew all along that Rex was using her. Finally, to get rid of him in Germany, where he was such a nuisance that he was barred from the set of Cabaret, she says that she and her secretary, Deanna Wenble, arranged an elaborate, melodramatic scheme to make him think she had fallen in love with a cameraman. "He said he'd leave me only if I fell in love with somebody else," she explains."

Kramer was banned from the sets because he was a monumental pain-in-the-ass who was always trying to insert himself into the production process. The producer and director had to put up with him because he was schtupping their star, but Liza also got tired of him and dropped the group. Kramer dropped out of sight, but Ray took over the group and kept it going as Ray Rogers and the Bojangles and the rest is history. But where is Rex Kramer now?

Edited by FilioScotia

Filio, I have wondered the same thing about a couple of "local" acts, like Roy Head, and Johnny Lee. My mother used to date Roy Head back in his heyday, I can remember hangin' out with him a few times back in the late 70's early 80's. I met Johnny Lee a couple of times back when Urban Cowboy came out, my father and him were drinkin' buddies at Gilley's then when Johnny opened his own club they would alternate.

Roy Head seems to be still around

Believe it or not, I found a website that says he was singing at a little honky tonk on I-45 up north of Conroe as recently as April of 2003.

Check it out. http://www.thebulletin.com/archives/2003/april/royhead.htm

And Johnny Lee is still out there singing and recording. These days he can be found in Branson Missouri most of the time. He doesn't have his own theater. I'm sure he sings at Mickey Gilley's Theater and other venues.

Here's a link to his fan club. http://www.johnnyleefanclub.com/news.htm

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 weeks later...

He's still gigging all over Texas.

Look for him to perform in February at the Gulf Coast Hall of Fame Show in Port Arthur.

http://www.panews.com/communities/local_story_360114821.html

Believe it or not, I found a website that says he was singing at a little honky tonk on I-45 up north of Conroe as recently as April of 2003.

Check it out. http://www.thebulletin.com/archives/2003/april/royhead.htm

And Johnny Lee is still out there singing and recording. These days he can be found in Branson Missouri most of the time. He doesn't have his own theater. I'm sure he sings at Mickey Gilley's Theater and other venues.

Here's a link to his fan club. http://www.johnnyleefanclub.com/news.htm

Roy in Port Arthur

Does anyone know what happened to the Aragon Ballroom? The building has been redone, and I can't really tell if the structure that held the ballroom still exists or not. This the building on Rusk immediately behind the Montagu Hotel.

from memory i can't say - although i do remember it looking rather generic

oddly enough, while doing a chronicle archive search, there's another (newer) aragon ballroom:

Two months ago, Cantu's dream came true. On Oct. 7, he and his wife, Maria, won $28 million in the Texas Lotto.

Despite the financial bonanza, Pedro Cantu still runs the family-owned Cantu Moving and Storage business on Houston's north side, and the Cantus still live in the same modest Fifth Ward dwelling.

But Pedro, with the good wishes of Maria, is charting a slightly new course for his life -- that of a boxing promoter in Houston, a city that over the last 20 years has proved to be a graveyard for others with similar aspirations.

Tonight at 7:30 in the Aragon Ballroom (Hillcroft at South Main), Cantu Promotions Inc. will stage its first event.

this was from the 12.02.94 issue of the chronicle

:rolleyes:

Edited by sevfiv

Does anyone know what happened to the Aragon Ballroom? The building has been redone, and I can't really tell if the structure that held the ballroom still exists or not. This the building on Rusk immediately behind the Montagu Hotel.

if you are talking about the one on the corner of rusk and main. the yes it is still there. i seem to remember they had renditions of what the building would look like without the fake ficade. i actually have that picture as my screen saver. it was a drug store on the corner of rusk and main. They were going to have the rooftop open for a cafe of some sort. I could be wrong and the rendtion may have been for the one on mckinny and main, but it would look great none the less.

if you are talking about the one on the corner of rusk and main. the yes it is still there. i seem to remember they had renditions of what the building would look like without the fake ficade. i actually have that picture as my screen saver. it was a drug store on the corner of rusk and main. They were going to have the rooftop open for a cafe of some sort. I could be wrong and the rendtion may have been for the one on mckinny and main, but it would look great none the less.

The rooftop cafe over the former Rouse drugstore was proposed for Main & McKinney. It's just hard to tell by looking at the one at Main and Rusk if it could have held the Aragon. My guess is that the ballroom space is gone, but at one point I believe there was an "A" on the wall on the Rusk side.

this is a little off, but it reminded me of a picture i took back in early 2003 - i haven't noticed recently if this is still there or what it actually was - i think it reads "1016-B rusk" (which wold be right around rusk and main)

looks like an industrial door...

ruskb.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

this is a little off, but it reminded me of a picture i took back in early 2003 - i haven't noticed recently if this is still there or what it actually was - i think it reads "1016-B rusk" (which wold be right around rusk and main)

looks like an industrial door...

ruskb.jpg

Oddly enough, I did a little research on Google and am positive I saw a photo and description of a terrible fire that consumed The Aragon Ballroon approx 1947-49? The photo showed several fire trucks pumping lots of water at the building. Sad. I am amazed that there are any left over markers, stairs and so on to this day. Why cant a film-maker or someone do a documentary of Houstons swing era? Time is of the essence! I am lucky I even have a handful of relatives that can tell me of those wondrous days and they are going away little by little. Glad I have a fantastic color photo of my mom in a formal seated in the Rice Hotel at some Gala circa 1953. Houstons history seems to fade each day, sad to say. We need preservationists to pull together. I could go on...Thank you for the insite!

You're right, thanks. I found this on the houstonfiremuseum.org website:

The Aragon Ballroom and an adjacent building were heavily damaged in a four-alarm fire on July 13, 1945. It took firefighters four hours to get the fire tapped out. Twenty-three people were injured, including several firefighters. Hundreds of guests of the next door Cotton Hotel, Fannin and Rusk, were evacuated during the fire. Property loss was estimated at $250,000.

aragon.jpg

Link

• 4 weeks later...

My parents used to talk about a club on north main called the "P.A" or Pan American Nite Club. My mom and her sisters would go to the Matinee in the 50s and 60s. I know that a lot of prominent Latin groups like Tito Puente and Perez Prado would play there. My dad even played with a band to two. I think the building may still be there, but I'm sure it was closed by the 80s.

Does anyone know anything about it or have any photos of the interior? I've heard about a really beautiful fountain that was near the entrance. My folks and aunts and uncles would love to see.

Edited by purelife

Genora's White Kitchen-my grandfather(dad's father) worked here, and,a ccording to dad, he worked so much, that he's probably one of the waiters, hosts in the photo(painting)!

Market Square-my only exposure to Market Square was being able to get pitchers of beer while still 16 at The Inn on the Square(or was it called Village Inn?), where we used to see a band called Jeramiah Black(Christopher Cross).

On The Border on Telephone Rd., past Hobby Airport where we used to catch bands like Lick, Lightning, (and who could forget that Ramones/Runaways show!) etc.

My parents used to talk about a club on north main called the "P.A" or Pan American Nite Club. My mom and her sisters would go to the Matinee in the 50s and 60s. I know that a lot of prominent Latin groups like Tito Puente and Perez Prado would play there. My dad even played with a band to two. I think the building may still be there, but I'm sure it was closed by the 80s.

Does anyone know anything about it or have any photos of the interior? I've heard about a really beautiful fountain that was near the entrance. My folks and aunts and uncles would love to see.

What a small world it is. The Pan American was a showcase for the local near Northside area. I have older relatives that either played in orchestras and or bands there during the late 1940's and 50 and some in the 60' thru 70's. The PA as it was called rivaled the Stardust Ballroom over on Fulton my much older cousins ran that place for a long time until they finally called it quits.

My mom says that the P.A. as it was known was once a very prominent and high class place back when. People really dressed up to go there. I have some photos of my big sister on the outside circa 1962. I also have many photos of The Stardust Ballroom on inside. That was a much bigger place and became a more focal point as the PA was going downhill by the 1970's. They finally had to demolish both of them because of deglect and disrepair. The only reminder left is the Poppa Burger joint across the street and it will soon disappear as the rail enters. My aunt ran that place for over 20 years. Most is just a memory now. Glad you brought this up!

Over on Chenevert st? on the same corner where Irma's Mexican restaraunt now stands used to be a totally cool Punk Club called "Cabaret Voltaire".

Cabaret was around from about 1980 to about 1984 I think then finally was forced to be shut down (wonder why). The fuzz gave everyone such a hard time. Houston just couldn't cope with this British hardcore type of thrashing what else. They used to feature some really wild and popular punk bands, they pretty much rivaled "Consolidated Arts Warehouse" which was another cool place to hang out in the early 80's. CAW was next to where Chelsea Place is over on Montrose. One night the news was on and they were televising a huge fire and my little sister said ...Hey isn't that where you hang out? What! CAW burned to cinders!

Cabaret Voltaire still hung around for a good while until the new wave/punk scene sort of fizzled out. Mowhaks and spiked colored hair slowly went away. I'll never forget one night Suicidal Tendencies was playing when some girl flew in the air & landed smack on my head! Ouch! still hurts when I think about it! Slam dancing was the Rage now its just called "jumping into the mosh pit". I would probably end up in IC unit. We used to meet so many funny and crazy people with similar interests in music. If anyone has a photo please add?

So much for HouSton's PunK RocK scene...

Good ol days...

Edited by Vertigo58

What a small world it is. The Pan American was a showcase for the local near Northside area. I have older relatives that either played in orchestras and or bands there during the late 1940's and 50 and some in the 60' thru 70's. The PA as it was called rivaled the Stardust Ballroom over on Fulton my much older cousins ran that place for a long time until they finally called it quits.

My mom says that the P.A. as it was known was once a very prominent and high class place back when. People really dressed up to go there. I have some photos of my big sister on the outside circa 1962. I also have many photos of The Stardust Ballroom on inside. That was a much bigger place and became a more focal point as the PA was going downhill by the 1970's. They finally had to demolish both of them because of deglect and disrepair. The only reminder left is the Poppa Burger joint across the street and it will soon disappear as the rail enters. My aunt ran that place for over 20 years. Most is just a memory now. Glad you brought this up!

I just had that in mind about the old Pan American ballroom. i rember it and was going to look for pictures. Can you post some from PA and Stardust. I forgot how it looked, but last i remember was early 90's when i was 12-17. they nocked it down and is currently parking for Casa de Amigos clinic. Poppa Burger will be missed im going to take pictures of it but hopefully they can stay affloat with the addition of the Northline rail extenstion. Ill take some pictures of the area this weekend to share, along with the other old buildings on N. Main-45

• 3 weeks later...
Filio, I have wondered the same thing about a couple of "local" acts, like Roy Head, and Johnny Lee. My mother used to date Roy Head back in his heyday, I can remember hangin' out with him a few times back in the late 70's early 80's. I met Johnny Lee a couple of times back when Urban Cowboy came out, my father and him were drinkin' buddies at Gilley's then when Johnny opened his own club they would alternate.

Roy is all over the news again now that his son Sundance is a finalist on American Idol. I believe he lives up 59 in Porter.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see some photos if you can post them!

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see some photos if you can post them!

Will do! Got to scan some more then will post!

I ate at Poppa Burger the other day again before it vanishes. Took several photos for future interest. Boy that area was so alive in the day. Like a ghost town now. :(

• 9 years later...
On 6/7/2006 at 11:46 AM, nmainguy said:

Thanks sub-great pic.

B)

On 6/7/2006 at 11:09 AM, Subdude said:

The Pink Pussycat! ^_^

This came up in another topic. It was at 219 Main at Congress.

Picture is from early 1970s. Sorry for the quality.

PPcat1.jpg

Drawing from "Last of the Past"

PPcat2.jpg

Was The Pink Pussycat ever located elsewhere in Downtown? I thought I remembered it being nearer to Minute Maid Stadium-where there is now a bail bonding company. Also, was there an adult movie theater around the corner but next to it?

1 hour ago, OjazosNegros said:

Was The Pink Pussycat ever located elsewhere in Downtown? I thought I remembered it being nearer to Minute Maid Stadium-where there is now a bail bonding company. Also, was there an adult movie theater around the corner but next to it?

Hey, uh, I'm not trying to be a downer or bust your bubble, but I have noticed you've been replying to a lot of very old posts in the past few hours. In this particular case, were you aware the post to which you are replying is to 11 years old? A kid born on the day that post was made would be in fifth, maybe sixth grade now. 

It's not like I haven't done it myself, so please don't think I'm trying to ridicule you. I'm not. But you have been replying to quite a few hoary posts today, so just in case you're not aware of it (and maybe you aren't), a lot of those people have moved on from this board. It's unlikely they're going to be reading it or replying. Again, not criticizing you or ridiculing you, just giving you what I hope is a helpful FYI. 

Edited by Firebird65
grammar

Hi Firebird65,

Jajajaj, oh no not in any way feeling butt hurt :0) I don't have too much time to surf the net and I finally had a chance and I ran with it. I don't mind that people have moved on or not read any replies or posts of mine. Every so often I get nostalgic and I remember something from my youth and I look it up and if I find what I am looking for-hey, the world is a better place to me. I figure if I am looking at a post that interests me, no matter how old it is-then someone else who hasn't been on awhile must be looking at it too. Or not-the sun is still coming up either way. Thanks for your concern and hope you are doing good after the storm. Feel free to write again if you would like to chat.

~S. 

P.S. I will be posting some pix in a bit-watch out! LOL

30 minutes ago, OjazosNegros said:

Hi Firebird65,

Jajajaj, oh no not in any way feeling butt hurt :0) I don't have too much time to surf the net and I finally had a chance and I ran with it. I don't mind that people have moved on or not read any replies or posts of mine. Every so often I get nostalgic and I remember something from my youth and I look it up and if I find what I am looking for-hey, the world is a better place to me. I figure if I am looking at a post that interests me, no matter how old it is-then someone else who hasn't been on awhile must be looking at it too. Or not-the sun is still coming up either way. Thanks for your concern and hope you are doing good after the storm. Feel free to write again if you would like to chat.

~S. 

P.S. I will be posting some pix in a bit-watch out! LOL

Since I replied to you, I did myself respond to a 3-year-old post. However, I did on purpose knowing it was an old post and that the person I responded to might not ever see it. Normally I wouldn't do that, but he had asked an important question I had the answer to, so I made an exception, just in case he came back or anyone else was interested.

Also, by sheer coincidence, I came across another post of mine yesterday in a thread similar to this one, where someone had replied earlier this year to a very old post. In this case, it was a 10-year-old post - in fact, 521 weeks (10 years and 1 week) had passed since the previous post in early 2007. So I replied to the 2017 person and asked if that was some kind of record for longest time for a reply. If it was, it's not anymore. You beat it!

I will be on the lookout for your pix.

Edited by Firebird65

1 hour ago, Firebird65 said:

Since I replied to you, I did myself respond to a 3-year-old post. However, I did on purpose knowing it was an old post and that the person I responded to might not ever see it. Normally I wouldn't do that, but he had asked an important question I had the answer to, so I made an exception, just in case he came back or anyone else was interested.

Also, by sheer coincidence, I came across another post of mine yesterday in a thread similar to this one, where someone had replied earlier this year to a very old post. In this case, it was a 10-year-old post - in fact, 521 weeks (10 years and 1 week) had passed since the previous post in early 2007. So I replied to the 2017 person and asked if that was some kind of record for longest time for a reply. If it was, it's not anymore. You beat it!

I will be on the lookout for your pix.

Oldies but goodies! I almost replied to my reply on the post about the wax museum we used to have here, lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Re: Aragon Ballroom, Houston, Tx that suffered major fire damage on July 13, 1945: Club was run by my son’s great grandfather John Franklin McMillian, Sr and his son Frank Jr. Would appreciate any history, photos, etc re the Aragon as I am putting together a family history for my son. Thanks. gngrjrdn@gmail.com