All About Kbxx 97.9 The Box

citykid09

97.9 The Box is a great station.

Question: What was that girls name that use to be on the radio on the weekends? See had a New York accent and left about 2 months ago? See went to a Florida radio station, WPYO-FM Power 953FM in Orlando.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Did 97.9 the boxx change to hot 97.9? I heard them on the radio earlier but I live in Bryan College Station so sometimes you can here Dallas' 97.9 the Beat mix in with 97.9 the box. Does anyone know? Mabe it's a new station somewhere else in Texas?

Sigh...maybe no one really cares the fate of a rap station. I know I don't.  No Offense, I just don't care..

I wish 97.9 was more Urban Contemporary in its playlist, and play more R&B songs, then it would be up there with other heritage Urban stations such as KMEL in SF, V103 Atlanta, WGCI Chicago or WBLS New York. R&B shouldn't be limited to TOP 40 cross play (KRBE) or deeper stuff like Majic. Houston has a big Urban demographics population, but it is a damn shame. I wish Power 97.5 didn't go grown-up on the Urban; that was the only station on an actual Urban Contemporary format that played Hip Hop and R&B for only a year, not Rhythmic.

• 5 weeks later...

Hot 97.1 is the channel you were thinking of. They tried copying the format of Hot 97 in NYC but it didn't work. Party 104.9 is better than 97.9 now. I stick to satellite radio though.

My obnoxious stereo annoys me with over the air stations.

UGH, Mike Jones cannot RAP! The only song I even own with him on it is a Slim Thug song (Still Tippin, it is track 5 on my latest mix cd creation, right inbetween Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea and Dave Brubeck - Take Five), he ruins that track.

My preference is music like Jay-Z. Creative lyrics, catchy beats, and unforgettable hooks. The new Collision Course CD with Linkin Park is hot!

lol.. I agree, in my eyes, not too many guys today can rap. I find myself craving more & more old school everyday. By old school, I mean Pre NWA old school. Kurtic Blow, Houdini, Run DMC, etc..

But everyone's taste differs. As a teenager, I grew up listening to Dr Dre & Snoop Dog rap about the chronic while riding in the back of the bus to and from school. Out of high school, I got away from the "gangsta rap" and turned more towards "booty" as I was DJing at parties and in clubs. Over the last few years, I've become reeeally picky. The crazy thing is that I have no pre-determined criteria. I just like it or I don't.

I like anything with real depth to it, or a hook that just gets me everytime. I agree that mike jones isn't the most poetic, but when he, slim thug & paul wall rap together, it sounds good. Again, this is all just opinion. I'm just tired of all the yelling & giving shouts out on the radio. Hell, almost all of today's rap music is rapping about the nicest things in life. It used to be about the opposite - living in the ghetto, trying to survive, and making a better life for ones' self. Yeah, give me the old school any day.

Glen

I did the same thing on the bus. Used to bring my little speakers and my CD player and play "Doggy Style" cd and the entire bus would be singing along, much to the drivers dismay.

I like rap with funk such as Trick Daddy - Dro in the Wind. And then like lyrical geniuses like Jay-Z, Mos Def, even some Ludacris. If they are creative with how they say things, regardless of what they say, I generally like it.

Im not big on alot of the "down souf" or Houston stuff, I prefer east coast. The only 'down souf' stuff I like is some Slim Thug, Lil Flip and one song by Paul Wall & Chamillionaire (In luv with my money).

Songs that talk about the size of the wheels or how many speakers they have get on my nerves. I can rap, see! "Twenty Fours, Twenty Twos, 4 big speakers and some brand new shoes!"

WERD *poses and throws up the W before hollaring* "WHITE BOY!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

All i know is that Slim Thug is a huge hit here at Tech because he used our fight song in "Love this Game". Oh yeah i will take credit for introducing him and "like a boss" to Lubbock haha...gotta give it up for someone born and raised here who brings attention to the city with his art plus he lives in the neighborhood right next to mine...so yeah SLIM THUG is THE BOSS

I'm not a big "rap-man" but there is some hip hop I do like (mike jooooooones! hehe.. guilty pleasure). But when I turn on either of our rap stations, all I hear is the same top 40 big name rap artist with another tired hit. Many people don't even realize that the songs you hear on the radio are chosen by music execs up in NYC & Chicago who think that song is going to be the next big hit. Sadly, they're wrong about 75 percent of the time. It's so bad down here, that I'll just burn a cd of my favorite rap before I'll listen to one of these two stations  <_< Now, when I'm in Vegas, I can keep it locked in usually to any station as they veer away from the norm of playing the same 5 rappers who think yelling is somehow musical.

Just my thoughts..

Glen

whatever happened to the houston rap scene? it seemed to be going kinda strong there for a minute and then just when kipputz. i used to like the ghetto boyz ('mind playing tricks on me') ... the video more than anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Did 97.9 the boxx change to hot 97.9? I heard them on the radio earlier but I live in Bryan College Station so sometimes you can here Dallas' 97.9 the Beat mix in with 97.9 the box. Does anyone know? Mabe it's a new station somewhere else in Texas?

Remember when 97.9 was Contemporary Christian KFMK, Houston's 24-Hour Love Song? The protests when Crawford sold it to First Media was the driver that helped put together KSBJ.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if any of you listen to 97.9 the box, but A few months ago Carmen left the 10-3 spot to go to Dallas and work at a station there. Brandi Garcia took here place, but now Carmens back and Brandi's gone. Whats up with that?

Archived