Houston Grand Prix

Sunstar

1.7 mile track... is that normal for that kind of racing.

to be honest.. i think the loaction is a shame.

Racing through a parking lot is not the way to showcase our city.

Yesterday's race in St. Pete was 1.8 miles. The downtown Houston race was 1.6 or 1.7 miles. Setting up courses downtown are very expensive. However, setting them up on parking lots is boring. Maybe having the stadiums as a backdrop will be interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

did you mean "they could run part of the race inside the Dome" ?

because they're not going to, and they couldn't anyways. the field level of the Dome is below ground, it would take some major infrastructure changes to make that happen, if even at all possible.

plus i don't think it would be cool to be sitting inside and watch cars fly by in less then a second. you have to be outside to get the whole affect of the race.

having downtown as a background would have been sweet...

I think having the Astrodome & Reliant Stadium as a background will work. I think the best perspective is that of the driver. Imagine how it will look for them - weaving in and out of two generations of the most advanced stadia.

I think having the Astrodome & Reliant Stadium as a background will work. I think the best perspective is that of the driver. Imagine how it will look for them - weaving in and out of two generations of the most advanced stadia.

I rather weave in and out of skyscrapers, up Allen Parkway, back down Memorial.....

Oh yah... I already do...

speaking as a fan of CCWS, I'd much rather see the race in a parking lot or part of an airport, where they can build in some passing zones and variety. They may even be able to create some runoff areas. Downtowns make a nice backdrop for tv, but make boring races.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to eventually see it go downtown again.

Yeah, so we can watch a 50 car pileup, caused by a light rail tram. >:)

I am so excited about this! I went to the 2000 and 2001 races and loved them! It's a night race so it should be pretty cool!

It's not in a parking lot, is it? I thought it was going to be on the streets surrounding Reliant Park and Stadium.

I'd like to eventually see it go downtown again.

Gotta get all the roads level again first. The reason they moved was because of the piss poor roads downtown, they were destroying the cars, and killing the driver's kidneys.

Yeah, so we can watch a 50 car pileup, caused by a light rail tram. >:)

That could still happen if they take the track out to Fannin. :lol:

I am so excited about this! I went to the 2000 and 2001 races and loved them! It's a night race so it should be pretty cool!

It's not in a parking lot, is it? I thought it was going to be on the streets surrounding Reliant Park and Stadium.

I haven't been there since Super Bowl '04. Has the area around Reliant Park been revitalized to look like a beautiful area of Houston that we would want to show off? Just curious

Gotta get all the roads level again first. The reason they moved was because of the piss poor roads downtown, they were destroying the cars, and killing the driver's kidneys.

They left Downtown because construction of Toyota Center, Hilton Americas, and the addition to GRB blocked too much of the streets used for the course.

I'm glad we don't have NASCAR in Houston, Dallas has two!

Houston is more of an international city anyway, so a Le Mans type race is great to see.

As much as I love F1, MotoGP, ALMS and Champ Car, I'm glad TMS has two NASCAR races. Maybe its not international enough for some, but we're talking about a weekend that brings in 50,000-100,000 for qualifying and truck races, 20,000 for sprint races, 100,000-150,000 for the Busch race and over 200,000 for the Nextel Cup race. That's twice a year. Its almost like a Superbowl(in people numbers, not hype) twice per year. A huge number of these people are travelling in and not local. So hotels and restaurants are filled all over the metroplex as well as their being events in each downtown. None of the international series draw this big of a crowd except for Champ Car in Mexico City. They don't draw near that here in the states. I never realized how big of an event NASCAR weekends are until TMS was built. The only bad part about are the huge resulting traffic jams if you live along a route to TMS.

Having said all of that, I still want an FIA/FIM approved road course for the metroplex. Too bad boundless failed.

having the driver's perspective heading straight for the grb, then minute maid park, then downtown, then back toward the hilton americas would've been way more fun. it's a little embarrassing to think that the view will be fences and barriers, and the occasional view of the wall of a stadium. hopefully, they'll make it interesting.

Archived