Dallas Losing Convention Business To H-town

Good for Houston and bad for Big D.

Though I know there is certainly truth to the article, I hope it is more of a jab at the Dallas government to get an attached convention center hotel. The DMN has been very supportive of a CC hotel for some time. Laura Miller and friends need a nudge to get going...I hope this is it!

The DMN has been very supportive of a CC hotel for some time.  Laura Miller and friends need a nudge to get going...I hope this is it!

The DMN has been going all-out to influence Dallas City Hall - especially the Booz-Allen report. According to some reports, they spent $400k on that report.

Belo Corp has been the ramrod in this. I think they own the DNM as well as a TV station. Supposedly Belo owns a lot of property downtown near the convention center. Are they looking to get hundreds of millions in tax money spent to improve downtown and also improve their property values? I wonder.

Hehehe, its the "Convention hotel" scandal all over again, except Dallas style!

It sure is, and the city council would be SO much more comfortable waiting a couple more years while business cycles reveal the most cost effective way for the city to help get it taken care of, but I dont know how much caution time they really have.

I glad Houston is getting this surge, it's overdue. It would be nice to see the state's biggest convention destinations cooperate in negotiations with the biggest of the yearly conventions. A three year rotation between Houston, Dallas and San Antonio could be a very attractive circuit for convention planners - a unique discount by dealing with one agency to plan three conventions. City and state economies prosper through a unified marketing/planning process as the biggest conventions of the industry are drawn into the state, rotate among the three cities and establish a stable fulcrum for the individual city convention bureau.

This is a little off topic, but regarding convention hotels, I have to give Houston kudos! This summer I stayed in the Hilton Americas and was very impressed. My room was exceptional - and I have traveled a lot and stayed in a lot of "top tier" hotels. The convenience to the convention center was great and the whole place had a real "Houston cosmopolitan" feel.

Archived