Hanover Montrose: Multifamily At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Swamplot, there have been several Thad's detailing the issues with this building, from massive amounts of asbestos to chilled water systems that are "Byzantine" to the floors being too close together to meet modern requirements. Fom all accounts, renovating the building is utterly uneconomic. I recall the uproar when the Gulf Publishing building was demolished. Gulf Publishing made the comment that renovations would cost upwards of ten million dollars,and he building would be worth three million. No sane person is going to put millions more into a structure than the finished building is worth.

I agree that there can be issues that make redevelopment of some buildings uneconomic.  That said, falling masonry alone isn't enough of a reason to condemn a building.  It is surely within the scope of human accomplishment to be able to fix a damaged facade. 

I suspect that another issue is limited parking capacity in the attached garage.

It isn't this building - it is the sum total of ALL historic buildings in Houston.  This is just the latest in buildings that are worthwhile (or still could be) that is getting torn down and "replaced" - just like the old Sears Roebuck Warehouse on Montrose @ Allen Parkway is supposed to be some giant Islamic Learning Center and Foundation... it would have made an excellent conversion to a Whole Foods and mixed shops (because its not like the Aga Kahn couldn't have built his center on empty land just a few blocks over).

It's highly unlikely that Whole Foods would put a store in a building that flooded several times. The building flooded badly in Allison, and was never repaired after that.

to the floors being too close together to meet modern requirements.

This one falls under the "wasteful society" category. People are what, half an inch taller on average than when this was built? Pretty sure America is the only country where you hear "low ceiling heights" as an excuse to demolish buildings.

This thread must be a joke. I can't believe anyone really wants to rehab this disaster. I can't tell if we're getting trolled or if people really believe in these points (that the people are from out of town and have never seen this building make me suspect trolled).

I'm actually a native Houstonian, and about 70-80% of our work is in historic preservation.  We are all allowed opinions.  I'm grateful my opinion differs from the norm in this town.  If you think this is an eyesore, that is also your opinion.  Thanks for sharing.  But I'm most certainly not "TROLLING" - never done that nor do I ever plan on "trolling."  I'm not sure how you can equate my posting that it would be preferred to save this building and have Hanover build across the street at that dumpy Wal-Greens to "Trolling"

It's highly unlikely that Whole Foods would put a store in a building that flooded several times. The building flooded badly in Allison, and was never repaired after that.

Did the entire building flood?  Or just the lower floor?  I seem to recall there being a few other floors in this warehouse.  Granted it was very unlikely this would have been done, it sure would have been fantastic to save this cool old warehouse and use it - for a warehouse (which is what grocers are) and allow Aga Khan to build where Whole Foods and company are currently located down West Dallas.  My post about that was purely hypothetical; a "what if," nothing more, nothing less.

• 1 month later...

3400 Montrose will be replaced with a 30-story highrise apartments/condos by the Hanover group. Demolition will start sometime in January 2014. It will not be imploded like the Macy's in downtown due to abestos removal. The architects are still working on the preliminary plans. The old shopping center on Weshimer and Montrose will also come down soon to make way for a hotel and mix-use development. Get ready, Montrose is going to change.

3400 Montrose will be replaced with a 30-story highrise apartments/condos by the Hanover group. Demolition will start sometime in January 2014. It will not be imploded like the Macy's in downtown due to abestos removal. The architects are still working on the preliminary plans. The old shopping center on Weshimer and Montrose will also come down soon to make way for a hotel and mix-use development. Get ready, Montrose is going to change.

Is the height for the Hanover tower confirmed?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the height for the Hanover tower has been "confirmed," the architectural plans are still being drawn, I suppose those plans could change? But at this time, 30-stories is what I've heard from a reliable source. I passed by 3400 Montrose this morning and noticed a large group of men with hard hats looking over the building, they were in the parking garage and in the building also.

I don't know if the height for the Hanover tower has been "confirmed," the architectural plans are still being drawn, I suppose those plans could change? But at this time, 30-stories is what I've heard from a reliable source. I passed by 3400 Montrose this morning and noticed a large group of men with hard hats looking over the building, they were in the parking garage and in the building also.

Demo experts?

"Demo Experts"? That is a big possability, on my way to the Montrose Kroger just now, I saw a company by the name of American Fence Co, fencing off the building and parking garage and also the house behind the parking garage which will most likeley be torn down as well, and I also saw a dumptster which has been placed by the garage.

Well that's certainly underwhelming.. It's okay, and appears to have nice finishes, but nothing eclectic/funky like I hoped they would do for Montrose.

What's the angled part sticking off the side of the tower in the site plan rendering.. An awning for the "carport/drive through"?

thanks urb! the thing sticking off to the right of the "proposed building" in the last picture. what is that? i didnt notice any odd angles in any of the renderings, but if its not a carport like i first thought, maybe its on top of the garage.. on the amenity deck level?

well ive got to be honest, its certainly growing on me. i like the punched out windows on the narrow sides, and like i said previously the finishes seem nice.

The Hanover Co. has started the demolition process at 3400 Montrose — which once housed Scott Gertner’s SkyBar — and plans to begin building an apartment tower late this summer.

David Ott, development partner at Houston-based Hanover Co., said the building won’t be imploded, and the demolition process should be finished by mid-summer.

In its place, Hanover plans to build an approximately 30-story apartment tower. The tower will include about 330 units, and leasing is expected to start in late summer 2016, Ott said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/01/former-skybar-building-to-make-way-for.html

Archived