Hanover Montrose: Multifamily At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

A new 26 story high-rise is going to be built on Montrose where the current M2M clothing store/SkyBar building stands...According to my realtor, the property has been purchased, along with a home and several townhomes behind the building. They will all be torn down....the new building will have 2 floors of retail, 5 floors of parking, and the rest will be residential, including 5 townhomes and 2 huge (6000 sq ft) penthouses. Condo sizes will start around 900 sq ft with pricing from the low $200's. There aren't any publicly available renderings yet....

That's all the detail I can remember from my conversation yesterday - sounds like a neat addition to the area as I think the M2M building (what is that building called?) is not the most attractive....

Now can we get rid of the ugly buildings near the corner of Montrose and Westheimer (the ones beside Taco Cabana)....one of them is already for sale !!

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be very very careful about taking this seriously. Condo towers are almost impossible to build right now due to high prices for building materials and labor, all of which is influenced by the Katrina effect. Realtors also have this tendency to compulsively lie about new projects. If you really want to know whether its going to happen, ask him/her what company is doing it and call them directly for more details...if all else fails, check courthouse records to see if the land really sold.

it might also be a good idea to check out gertner's skybar and see if there is any gossip up there. a big selling point of that place is the view. it would REALLY suck for them to lose the space unless something better is coming up.

Interesting. So am I reading it right that there are townhomes on the land now which will be torn down, but they will have space for the building plus 5 new townhomes? Also, so is this at Montrose and Hawthorne?

Yes - Montrose and Hawthorne.....the townhomes are going to be part of the high rise, not separate structures, but will have their own entrances on the back of the building...

Be very very careful about taking this seriously. Condo towers are almost impossible to build right now due to high prices for building materials and labor, all of which is influenced by the Katrina effect. Realtors also have this tendency to compulsively lie about new projects. If you really want to know whether its going to happen, ask him/her what company is doing it and call them directly for more details...if all else fails, check courthouse records to see if the land really sold.

I thought it was a bit strange myself as they are building Riparian down the street....I would wonder if there are that many people wanting condos in that price range in this area.....

IMO, it would be a good time to create a montrose blvd improvement district (if it isn't already) between westheimer or even allen parkway and binz/bissonnet. widen the sidewalks remove any above ground electrical/phone lines, install lighting, unique bus stops, landscaping public art, etc. this area has so many wonderful amenities that encourage pedestrian activity. it could and should become IMHO a more significant/beautiful/walkable blvd.

IMO, it would be a good time to create a montrose blvd improvement district (if it isn't already) between westheimer or even allen parkway and binz/bissonnet. widen the sidewalks remove any above ground electrical/phone lines, install lighting, unique bus stops, landscaping public art, etc. this area has so many wonderful amenities that encourage pedestrian activity. it could and should become IMHO a more significant/beautiful/walkable blvd.

Agreed

I wish they would do something with that cool warehouse-looking building on the southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose. I love the architectural details of the building but the only change I've ever noticed there is new grafitti. I'm sure that property must be worth a small fortune, which makes me think whoever ends up with it will clear it and build something more dense in its place. *sigh*

let's count up the existing, desirable amenities of montrose blvd that would benefit a walkable district: restaurants (of all kinds), clubs, retail, museums, galleries, grocery, salons, universities, residential, bars, coffee shops, churches, bed and breakfasts and much more. it's a no brainer. the only thing missing is a cohesive district to highlight these amenities, maybe all the newbies buying townhomes in the area will get out of their cars and begin to enjoy the diversity and colorful nuances of montrose. it's shouldn't be a surprise that there is increased interest in residential mid/hi rises, office buildings and restaurants along montrose blvd.

if only i had purchased that 80K bungalow off of hawthorne in '97.

Interesting. So am I reading it right that there are townhomes on the land now which will be torn down, but they will have space for the building plus 5 new townhomes? Also, so is this at Montrose and Hawthorne?

Yes, 3400 Montrose (SW corner Hawthorne and Montrose). Kroger is on the NW corner, Walgreens on the NE corner, and the center with the Starbucks is the SE corner.

This is a midrise, probably built in the 50s. According to HCAD, each suite pays seperate taxes, so it must be some sort of condo setup. Seems like that might be a consideration in negotiations.

Of more concern, the remainder of the block includes Colombe d'Oro restaurant/B&B, one of the few remaining mansions which used to line Montrose Blvd. It's a beautiful house and I'd hate to see that go.

But I'd guess that they'd take only the remainder of the block (the midrise, the parking garage behind it, a small cottage containing a hairdressing salon, a house on the corner of Yupon and a few townhomes facing Yupon.)

maybe all the newbies buying townhomes in the area will get out of their cars and begin to enjoy the diversity and colorful nuances of montrose.

If there's any of it left.

An insignificant building here, a dump there gets torn down and replaced with something new and shiny. "Everyone" agrees that this is a good thing. I doubt if this development will contribute much to diversity and colorful nuances.

Look at some of the tenants of 3400 Montrose: ACLU, Houston Gay & Lesbian Pride Commitee, Texas Clean Water Action. Southern Poverty Law Center. An African art gallery. And there's others - several AIDS related organizations are or have been housed in this building as well. No wonder one finds such an eclectic mix of people on the surrounding streets.

Now that I think about it, 3400 Montrose is in many ways the heart of the neighborhood. The assemblage within cannot be picked up and moved en masse to some other site. Likely they will scatter, which is kind of a shame. Such symbiotic relationships are nearly impossible to replicate.

I think we all understand what market forces are. The effects are felt differently by everyone. Just understand that this project would involve a significant loss even while offering a gain.

Yes, 3400 Montrose (SW corner Hawthorne and Montrose). Kroger is on the NW corner, Walgreens on the NE corner, and the center with the Starbucks is the SE corner.

This is a midrise, probably built in the 50s. According to HCAD, each suite pays seperate taxes, so it must be some sort of condo setup. Seems like that might be a consideration in negotiations.

Of more concern, the remainder of the block includes Colombe d'Oro restaurant/B&B, one of the few remaining mansions which used to line Montrose Blvd. It's a beautiful house and I'd hate to see that go.

But I'd guess that they'd take only the remainder of the block (the midrise, the parking garage behind it, a small cottage containing a hairdressing salon, a house on the corner of Yupon and a few townhomes facing Yupon.)

Colombe d'Oro was not sold - it isn't going to be torn down for this project

I wish they would do something with that cool warehouse-looking building on the southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose. I love the architectural details of the building but the only change I've ever noticed there is new grafitti. I'm sure that property must be worth a small fortune, which makes me think whoever ends up with it will clear it and build something more dense in its place. *sigh*

That building was Houston's first Sears store. It flooded not too long after construction causing Sears to move to the South Main location.

I like the idea of a Montrose Blvd Development Authority of some sort. The problem is, there are a lot of neighborhood "authorities" in Houston, and they don't all do the best job of actually exercising their authority.

If nothing else, I'd like a supposed Montrose Blvd Authority to make sure that the corridor keeps its tropical feel, including along the median north of Westheimer.

I'd also like to see some aggressive marketing of the buildings on the SE corner of Montrose @ Westheimer. Their emptiness takes away from the overall appearance of the area.

I actually really like the building. It's got those beautiful horizontal Bauhaus-looking windows. The building is in desperate need of a makeover but it would be a shame to see it go. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I agree, especially about the Bauhaus influence. Always liked the 50s presence it gives that strech of Montrose Blvd. If there was some chance that the buiilding could continue as it has been operated, it would be nice if the owners would spring for even a little maintenace (such as a good power wash - the thing is filthy!) while keeping costs low enough to suit the current tenants.

But I doubt if a total redo is feasible. Buildings from this era tend to be loaded with asbestos, and the suites inside are cramped. Even if this particular project doesn't make it off the ground I'd wager that 3400 Montrose's days are numbered.

Wonder if they'd implode it? Or would surrounding buildings and asbestos concerns enter the picture?

If there's any of it left.

An insignificant building here, a dump there gets torn down and replaced with something new and shiny. "Everyone" agrees that this is a good thing. I doubt if this development will contribute much to diversity and colorful nuances.

Look at some of the tenants of 3400 Montrose: ACLU, Houston Gay & Lesbian Pride Commitee, Texas Clean Water Action. Southern Poverty Law Center. An African art gallery. And there's others - several AIDS related organizations are or have been housed in this building as well. No wonder one finds such an eclectic mix of people on the surrounding streets.

Now that I think about it, 3400 Montrose is in many ways the heart of the neighborhood. The assemblage within cannot be picked up and moved en masse to some other site. Likely they will scatter, which is kind of a shame. Such symbiotic relationships are nearly impossible to replicate.

I think we all understand what market forces are. The effects are felt differently by everyone. Just understand that this project would involve a significant loss even while offering a gain.

I didnt know all of those things were/are in that building. I remember attending a party there years ago on the top floor. It was a bar up there one time. I would like to see something nice go there if this building is torn down. Also like to keep the area cool.......

Take the elevator to the roof and talk to Scott. Skip all the BS involved with fake Katrina effects and inaccurate tax roles.

Take the elevator to the roof and talk to Scott. Skip all the BS involved with fake Katrina effects and inaccurate tax roles.

Any idea as to why the suites are listed seperately on HCAD?

Any idea as to why the suites are listed seperately on HCAD?

I think you may have inadvertantly looked at the business property listings. The Real property list shows the building owned by Emirates, Inc.

(This is what you get for disagreeing with me on the Lampson thread)

;)

I didnt know all of those things were/are in that building. I remember attending a party there years ago on the top floor. It was a bar up there one time. I would like to see something nice go there if this building is torn down. Also like to keep the area cool.......

It's going to have 2 floors or retail, several floors of parking, and then 20-some floors of residential...

I think you may have inadvertantly looked at the business property listings. The Real property list shows the building owned by Emirates, Inc.

(This is what you get for disagreeing with me on the Lampson thread)

;)

:blush:

oops.

Well, at least you're nice about it. :D

• 3 months later...

hi guys, this is scott gertner. i will give you the current scoop on 3400 montrose blvd. as i know it.....

there are rumors of the building being sold but at this point, noone has approached me about buying out my lease for the skybar location. as well, i own some townhome property that is part of the discussion above but all contracts have expired.....so......the skybar and townhomes are here to stay (for the moment).

i agree the building is in need of some updating by the landlords but there is no denying the skybar space that once was cody's amongst many others, is a timeless, magical, legendary venue that still has one of the best views in houston. just about everyone has passed through the doors at one time or another and for that i am very proud to own it.

that's it for now.............

welcome to the forum scottskybar. it's great to have you aboard.

thanks for the scoop as well. we get kinda fiend for new towers around here, but then worry when it sounds as if a building or business we like will be displaced. keep us posted.

hi guys, this is scott gertner. i will give you the current scoop on 3400 montrose blvd. as i know it.....

there are rumors of the building being sold but at this point, noone has approached me about buying out my lease for the skybar location. as well, i own some townhome property that is part of the discussion above but all contracts have expired.....so......the skybar and townhomes are here to stay (for the moment).

i agree the building is in need of some updating by the landlords but there is no denying the skybar space that once was cody's amongst many others, is a timeless, magical, legendary venue that still has one of the best views in houston. just about everyone has passed through the doors at one time or another and for that i am very proud to own it.

Thanks for the info.

I admit that I am not familiar with the use of the building but from the outside I always thought that they would make some pretty cool lofts. (Again I am not that familair with the building) It reminds me of a loft building I visited in Center City Philadelphia.

175430288_1498592cfe_o.jpg

wow, how random is that.

hey scott, if you dont mind, could you please tell us how many years you have left on your lease and if there is a clause for a buy out?

also, went to your sports bar on foutain view. i must say you did nice rehab from outback. i have fond memories from the big-assed-beer wednesday nights :blink:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Archived