Favorite Architects

Jersey01

This section isn't seeing a ton of activity, so I figured I'd start a poll for fun...

Who is/are your favorite Architect(s)? I'll start:

Mid Century:

Richard Neutra

Pierre Koenig

John Lautner (his more linear, less curvy buildings)

Recent:

David Adjaye

John Pawson

Marmol+Radziner

Richard Meier

Alberto Campo Baeza

This section isn't seeing a ton of activity, so I figured I'd start a poll for fun...

Who is/are your favorite Architect(s)? I'll start:

Mid Century:

Richard Neutra

Pierre Koenig

John Lautner (his more linear, less curvy buildings)

Recent:

David Adjaye

John Pawson

Marmol+Radziner

Richard Meier

Alberto Campo Baeza

I have to say every architectural firm redeveloping Dubai. Very futuristic high rises. Not overdone. just right.

Among others, Taft Architects.

Their designs from the early 80s were wonderful examples of how much can be accomplished for clients on a modest budget. Using common inexpensive materials, they had a distictive Mission Revival/Post Modern take on design which is remains fresh and witty. How unfortunate that many of their buildings won't survive due to the restricted budgets they worked with - the YWCA building on Willia St. is a good example.

Philip Johnson is my favorite, I guess because living in TX, I've had exposure to his work more than most other architects. I love the Miesian box, but I really respect Johnson breaking out of it also. Pennzoil Place was always my favorite building to look at from the freeway as a kid.

I agree Pierre Koenig was a master. I hope to visit his houses in LA someday.

Mies of course... Seeing the Farnsworth House was like making a pilgrimage to Mecca. And Keck and Keck's little box houses in Chicago were great too.

Jason

Cool topic.

For the current architects, I like Calatrava, Koolhaas, Ando, Ricardo Legoretta, and Pelli. Not Gehry, Liebeskind, or Hadid.

For the mid-century, I agree with Koenig and Neutra, and I would add Gordon Bunshaft, Oscar Niemeyer, and Saarinen. I have to admit a little embarrassing weakness for Morris Lapidus, best known for the Fontainebleau and Eden Roc hotels. Kitchy, I know, but good examples of popular MCM.

Where is the chapel? Do you like Legoretta also?

Chapel for the Capuchinas Sacramentarias del Purisimo Corazon de Maria

Hidalgo 43, Del. Tlalpan

south side of mexico city... maybe west..? but i don't really know how we got there since my friend's cousin, mexico city native, drove.

as for Legoretta, i have visited camino real and MARCO. i really appriciate his works, but they are extruded versions of barragan's. many elements his master designed doesn't necessarily work in larger scales, in my opinion. but his works still have spacial quality that barragan pursued.

Chapel for the Capuchinas Sacramentarias del Purisimo Corazon de Maria

Hidalgo 43, Del. Tlalpan

south side of mexico city... maybe west..? but i don't really know how we got there since my friend's cousin, mexico city native, drove.

as for Legoretta, i have visited camino real and MARCO. i really appriciate his works, but they are extruded versions of barragan's. many elements his master designed doesn't necessarily work in larger scales, in my opinion. but his works still have spacial quality that barragan pursued.

I have visited Legoretta's buildings in San Antonio, Mexico City, and Puebla, so I have more data points on him than Barragan. Good point that they are extruded versions of Barragan, but overall I think they work very well. His works tend to be more inwardly-directed, which is consistent with traditional latin-american styles.

That "no" vote on Hadid was from me. She's done a lot more "theoretical" than real buildings. What she has done just doesn't seem all that great to me. I don't think she is in the league of say, Koolhaas, in merging exciting looks with practicality.

I really only have one, and I hope we are talking dead or alive here. Frank Lloyd Wright just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I know it seems like an easy out, but he is still the shiznit !

I am taking a trip with my class to Chicago in June for Neocon. We will be visiting some works of Frank Lloyd Wright, and I am soooo excited!!!

Archived