I Want To Go To Church

goodness

Hi everyone

I've never been to Church. Actually I'm not Christian. However, I want to visit the Church that next to my college but I don;'t know anything. So my questions are:

is there specific thing I should know like something I should not wear (Cap for example!).

I just want to learn about Christianity.

Can I go? and is there specific Church in Houston do you prefer?

there are so many different sects of christianity, it would be hard to direct you to a specific church. i would suggest going to a church like lakewood or 2nd baptist, they have enormous congregations with diverse subgroups, constant activities and indoctrination is (IMHO) voluntary. in other words, you don't have to dig any deeper than you are comfortable with.

good luck.

I hate to jump in and trash someone's church, but Lakewood is faux christianity. It is a pep talk. It is easily understandable why people like this church, but it has nothing to do with the Christian faith. It is merely a feel good church. If you want to see what Christianity is all about, go to one of the established churches first, then see the non-mainstream churches. You'll quickly see the difference. You can then make an informed decision.

i beg to differ red. lakewood is what some call a "seeker" church. if you attend classes other than the main televised sermon or pep talk, you will find a more defined christian philosophy. the idea behind churches such as lakewood is to draw people in (yes, proselytize) through encouragement rather than "sin" conciousness. in other words, give people the opportunity to follow God's laws because they want to, rather than guilt or fear. scripture admonishes to "seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you". these are "willful acts". it never says to brow beat people or guilt them into servitude. i believe that churches such as lakewood simply say "here is a way of thinking, check it out, see what you think". if you like it, dig deeper, if you don't, well maybe next time. it's gentle, it's christlike (IMHO). it's definitely not faux. perhaps red has an insider idea on what is real? :)

Anyone here attend a Unitarian Universalist church?

I've been curious about that one.

All my life I've wanted a spiritual outlet, but I've never found a religion that I'm at home with. Christianity, Buddhism, Islam...none of those have fit the bill. I haven't done much research into Hinduism, but there are waaaaay too many gods there for me. Honestly, the Chuch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is as satisfying to me as the others.

Seriously, though...I'm interested in opinions on UU.

Anyone here attend a Unitarian Universalist church?

I've been curious about that one.

All my life I've wanted a spiritual outlet, but I've never found a religion that I'm at home with. Christianity, Buddhism, Islam...none of those have fit the bill. I haven't done much research into Hinduism, but there are waaaaay too many gods there for me. Honestly, the Chuch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is as satisfying to me as the others.

Seriously, though...I'm interested in opinions on UU.

i went there for a bit, as i am a great fan of Emerson and transcendentalism.. unfortunately i found it very bureaucratic. when i inquired on joining as a member, one of the forms in my packet listed that my W2 was needed. when i asked, they said it was so i could tithe properly. whether it was an error by that specific staff member, i still went for a few more visits without becoming a member.

i found the environment of the actual congregation to be very positive and embracing (there are many pamphlets and posters supporting GLBT, racial and religious differences) but other than the words in their hymnals, didn't find any philosophical substance there. it was "all embracing" saying everything yet nothing at the same time. although positive the best experiences i had there were their yoga and other classes that ranged from $5-10 and were interesting yet more of the recreational side of that specific church.

If you have questions, though, to start out with, I would suggest checking out the forums on the site I linked above.

i agree. really do your homework before going to a specific church. there are so many in houston. if one does not feel totally right to you, try another -- there is nothing wrong with that. if a church tries too heavily to get you into membership or "saved" by their church right away, please be weary of that and know that there are many options in this city for you.

There is a non-denominational program around town called Alpha. Many churches in town offer the program. It meets once a week, is free, you watch a video and then have small group discussions. It is about christianity in general, and not a specific denomination. I am taking it now, but it is almost over.

If you would like more info, PM me and I would be happy to find out when the next one starts for you.

a unitarian universalist church is a great place for people who eschew denominationalism. it's a great place to search for "universalist" truths....truths that are evident or similar in many religions.

the most important thing is to GO. see what you find out. don't let your spirit starve.

also, fellowship of the woodlands (albeit far from town) utilizes music, performance art, drama and object lessons in the main service. the pastor often quotes philosophers and other religions. it's refreshing.

i have friends who attend unity church and love it. i've heard that other unitarian churches have a different "crowd". you might have to attend more than one to find the church that suits you.

Is that the one on Fannin? I've been to a funeral there. It's a nice place.

I'm not a big fan of Lakewood, but I agree that it's probably a good place to start for someone who's unsure. There's enough people at the service that you could probably blend in and be anonymous and duck out early if you find it's not for you, without anyone noticing. If you went to a small neighborhood church you might be more likely to be noticed as an outsider.

I've gone to some different churches when I'm traveling and I HATE when the priest comes up to you after the service to welcome you and all that. They're always very nice when I tell them I'm just passing through, but I'm the sort of person who likes to remain invisible.

Kimberlysay what

thanks for the links. I started reading it this afternoon.

bachanon

I appreciate your appreciate your neutrality. There are different sects in every religion and it's kind of confusing but THE BRAIN will play its role here :)

J.A.S.O.N

I'v seen the guy on the link before, and I really got distracted to his speech. I think I would learn a lot thriugh that site.

RedScare

of course I will take your advice. I agree with you that visiting several Churches is the best way.

Original Timmy

I believe that religions were revealed to fit your bill and my bill but the problem is the way in which we lwarned this or that religion.

Torval

You are right. a person must be convinced of the religion he would either embrace or support, and there is common error among religions clerics when they pressure on someone to accept their sects.

Hight2Bastrop

I have this channel but i've never known that it has program about aspects of Christanity. I will check their schedule.

wendyps

I'll P M you :)

If you like to read, probably the best book I've ever found that introduces people to Christianity (besides just reading the Bible of course) is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, the same guy who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. The book was made from lectures that he gave over the radio during the London bombing attacks in World War II, and has been embraced by people of all denominations.

Now then, if you do want to read the Bible, I would recommend starting with the Gospels - 4 short books that tell the "good news" (this is what "gospel" means in English) of Christ's coming to earth. My favorite is Matthew's gospel, other people love John (these were Christian writers living in the first century).

A lot of what Jesus says involves the sinfulness of mankind and our need for salvation. To understand this, you would want to flip back to the beginning of the Bible and read Genesis (or "beginning"), which tells the story of how God created the world and man, and how man disobeyed him and became lost to sin. Some Christians (such as Catholics) believe that Genesis is a primarily a story that symbolically reveals certain truths, while others hold firm that things happened exactly the way Genesis describes (these are called Fundamentalists, and include Baptists).

Other famous books include Exodus, Job, Proverbs, the Psalms, the various letters of Paul (an early Christian, actually written before the Gospels) - especially his letter to the Corinthians, and the Book of Revelation.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone

I've never been to Church. Actually I'm not Christian. However, I want to visit the Church that next to my college but I don;'t know anything. So my questions are:

is there specific thing I should know like something I should not wear (Cap for example!).

in reply to your question.. its a sign on superior authority towards god, therefore it is VERY disrespectfull to get to church wearing a cap .. it's not like ur going to the park or some other place.. remember.. it a holy place dedicated to worship god.

• 2 months later...
in reply to your question.. its a sign on superior authority towards god, therefore it is VERY disrespectfull to get to church wearing a cap .. it's not like ur going to the park or some other place.. remember.. it a holy place dedicated to worship god.

Try walking into St. Anne's Catholic Church at the corner of Westheimer and Shepherd. Its cool, peaceful and the architecture is quite stunning - opposite end of the spectrum from Lakewood experience. Built in the late 20-s or early 30's in the Spanish Romanesque style. You don't need to know anything about Catholicism but you will probably have many questions about the symbols depicted in the architectural details. Pray, meditate, or admire. Its up to you.

Try walking into St. Anne's Catholic Church at the corner of Westheimer and Shepherd. Its cool, peaceful and the architecture is quite stunning - opposite end of the spectrum from Lakewood experience. Built in the late 20-s or early 30's in the Spanish Romanesque style. You don't need to know anything about Catholicism but you will probably have many questions about the symbols depicted in the architectural details. Pray, meditate, or admire. Its up to you.

the best way to learn about Christianity is to observe the beliefs and traditions that have survived intact -- those of the Catholics. Like them or hate them, these people are serious about their faith and are the truest iteration of Christianity since its beginnings in the Roman empire.

Liquid Church and The Deuce are well-meaning, but I believe very egocentric, loose interpretations of what Christianity is all about, from the perspective of the churchgoer. The idea is put forth that you really don't have to do much to be "saved" outside of paying for giant stadium seating, TV networks, 500SLs and trips to Aspen. Most Christians believe going to God should be a humbling experience that demands sacrifice and sincere soul searching. that's why I respect the Catholics and the Jews. They make it very clear that they don't want you. You've got to want them.

From my personal experience, and if you're not shy, just walk into the church and simply ask to talk to the (in my case) priest and let him know you're on your way to a spiritual journey and you're not quite sure.

He should be open and non-judgemental about it and perhaps might even be able to suggest a church to go to.

Another good thing to do is either call or email a talk show (on 950, I think) called, "show of faith". It's pretty good.

from what i understand, eastern orthodox is the closest there is to christianity as it once was.

For the most part, you're actually correct. Roman Catholocism, at least in the eyes of the Orthodox church (and many others) is in fact the split off of the Eastern Orthodox church. But I digress.

Hi everyone

When I get a chance, I really love to go to Ecclesia in the Montrose area. You should come sometime.

http://www.ecclesiahouston.org/

And if you want to talk or have any questions, I'm on AIM somewhat regularly as freewaytincan.

Hi everyone

I was raised Catholic and I'm a big fan of Annunciation. It's on Texas, right across from Minute Maid. It's more traditional/conservative than a lot of other Catholic churches, at least in my experience. They also offer a Tridentine Mass early on Sunday, which is really good if you're interested in the history of Catholicism. The Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral on Pierce is one of my favorites too.

I wouldn't recommend Lakewood if you don't know anything but want to learn about Christianity, because it's so watered-down. They really try hard not to be "in-your-face" Christian.

There is a new Alpha program about to start up at St. Luke's on Westheimer. I took the course last year, and enjoyed most of it. Group meetings one evening a week are about it, and there isn't any pressure to commit to anything (I was thrilled about that!)

This program is really an "primer" to what it means to be christian. It is supposed to be for anyone and everyone. Wether you believe in something or not, it is meant to be informative (but there are prayers and very much of a religious atmosphere if that makes you at all nervous) very casual.

anyway, wanted to throw it out there. starts Aug22nd.

I was raised Catholic and I'm a big fan of Annunciation. It's on Texas, right across from Minute Maid. It's more traditional/conservative than a lot of other Catholic churches, at least in my experience. They also offer a Tridentine Mass early on Sunday, which is really good if you're interested in the history of Catholicism. The Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral on Pierce is one of my favorites too.

I like Holy Rosary downtown for similar reasons. It is quiet and traditional. They have a Latin service in the morning, if you want to hear that. English and Vietnamese follow throughout Sundays.

I don't know if going to a Catholic service will outline that much except what a Catholic service looks like. The religion itself is complex and requires study...Cathechism is sold in bookstores, if you wanted to read that. St. Anne's has a great many programs about the faith that are probably better for learning.

I like the History channel idea.

What movie was it where the two characters belonged to a Church of the Month club? :)

• The title was changed to I Want To Go To Church

Archived