Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

Well in all fairness, she is based in North Texas so I would expect a little bias.

Not the kind of talk you expect to hear from our Senator.

Texas has two Senators elected to serve the entire state. She has on office on Smith St.

Other than her "seeming to" have supported rail, she has served Houston poorly.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not the kind of talk you expect to hear from our Senator.

Texas has two Senators elected to serve the entire state. She has on office on Smith St.

Other than her "seeming to" have supported rail, she has served Houston poorly.

Don't be an idiot. She said nothing untoward or inappropriate AT ALL. Her home is in Dallas, for crying out loud. So why should she not be able to refer to it as "our area"? And her other comments were just statements of fact (eg, Dallas has taken the lead in rail development)

She has also been strong and consistent supporter of rail for Houston.

Don't be an idiot.

Houston19514,

Check you PM inbox. I have a special message for you.

Kiss Kay Bailey's arse all you want, but she has done nada for rail in Houston.

Jockstraps also provide support, but they don't build light rail. Money does.

http://hutchison.senate.gov/transpor.htm

WASHINGTON, DC -- Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison issued the following statement on passage of the Houston Metro ballot initiative:

"Now that this hard-fought - and often heated - campaign has come to a close, it's time to put differences aside and move forward. Houstonians have spoken in support of light-rail. It's time to get to work to ensure Metro builds a world-class transportation system that addresses Houston's pressing mobility needs. I am committed to helping them in every way possible to achieve this goal."

Houston19514,

Check you PM inbox. I have a special message for you.

Kiss Kay Bailey's arse all you want, but she has done nada for rail in Houston.

Jockstraps also provide support, but they don't build light rail. Money does.

http://hutchison.senate.gov/transpor.htm

WASHINGTON, DC -- Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison issued the following statement on passage of the Houston Metro ballot initiative:

"Now that this hard-fought - and often heated - campaign has come to a close, it's time to put differences aside and move forward. Houstonians have spoken in support of light-rail. It's time to get to work to ensure Metro builds a world-class transportation system that addresses Houston's pressing mobility needs. I am committed to helping them in every way possible to achieve this goal."

First, as you can see by reading my post, my "don't be an idiot" statement was regarding your complaints about her statements in Dallas, statements which were correct and appropriate in every way.

Second, regarding her support or actions for rail in Houston, what, exactly,would you have had her do at this point that she has not done? (After all, it's not her fault that Houston's local politicians and populace has taken this long to get on the rail program... do you want her to come to Houston and starting laying rails down Richmond herself, or what?)

All I am saying is that it IS possible to compliment DART without painting Houston and San Antonio transit agencies in a bad light.

Houston (Metro) is pretty commited to rail if you ask me, espeically since Metro built the first section WITHOUT Federal funding due to road blocks by memebers of her own party.

But Kay is getting up there in years. She fits in just fine in the Metroplex by her comments.

But Kay is getting up there in years. She fits in just fine in the Metroplex by her comments.

I think you over reacted on the comments and I don't think they were negative about SA and Houston.

However, if you want to get rid of Hutchison, you'll find a huge number of Dallas residents behind you. Heck, nearly the whole DFW forum thinks she needs to go.

On a side note I think Houstonians in this forum are hard on their rail system but from the timelines I've seen, the system is going to explode on the scene pretty quickly. DFW got more than its share of rail $ previously, and Houston got more than its share of highway $, and each metro has lots to show for it (e.g. Houston's extensive HOV system).

Jason

I think y'all are over reacting if you think I am over reacting.

She's just an old tea-sip cheerleader who remembers how to shake it.

Let her celebrate Dallas. She's in Rick Perry's "I can't belive Houston beat-out Dallas (Olympic Bid)" boat if you ask me.

Off with their collective heads.

I think y'all are over reacting if you think I am over reacting.

She's just an old tea-sip cheerleader who remembers how to shake it.

Let her celebrate Dallas.

Ironically, her anti-Dallas (proper) antics are why I want her gone.

Jason

• 1 month later...
That's essentially a satellite parking lot for the Medical Center. That's why they do it.

Glenn Heights is 20 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

'Coog is right. The Fannin South lot is a special situation and is the ONLY lot in which there is a fee. Their (METRO's) other 26 P&R lots are free, and the following locatinos have routine capacity issues, to the point where METRO police actually has somewhat ignored illegal parking:

Southpoint

West Bellfort

Northwest Station

Until the last two years, before METRO added nearly a 1,000 new spaces, you could add Addicks and Kingsland to that list as well. Addicks was especially bad. FTR, Northwest Transit Station is also a location with a decent number of parking but still with serious overcrowding issues. Not all transit stations offer parking so this is somewhat of a non-apples-to-apples comparison.

BTW, the Smithlands lot is owned by the TMC and a permit is required to park there.

You think METRO should accomodate the commuter by providing more parking at a few more LRT stations instead of just the fannin south one?

Since virtually every station has parking nearby, though not necessarily owned by METRO, I don't think that is the best use of limited funds. Building more space in the P&R lots, or even building garages, if space is unavailable, sounds like a better plan, especially considering that most commuters on the LRT in town do not need parking...they are commuters.

Since virtually every station has parking nearby, though not necessarily owned by METRO, I don't think that is the best use of limited funds. Building more space in the P&R lots, or even building garages, if space is unavailable, sounds like a better plan, especially considering that most commuters on the LRT in town do not need parking...they are commuters.

i know quite a few that drive to a station. I"m speaking primarily for most of the METRO possible users who have no idea where the train is exactly. would additional clearly designated LRT parking help gain new riders?

i know quite a few that drive to a station. I"m speaking primarily for most of the METRO possible users who have no idea where the train is exactly. would additional clearly designated LRT parking help gain new riders?

I still think it would be a neglible increase in riders. Those who live near enough to rail, will walk (obviously), or if slightly farther away, will still know the area well enough to find desirable low-cost parking. I know several people who park free in Midtown and take the rail DT to save a couple of bucks. Those who commute on P&R or busses, then transfer to rail, do not need parking. This is the majority of users.

The only potential users that might not know where to park would be occasional users, not specific enough, or frequent enough to justify their own lot, other than the almost suburban Fannin South station, which already has a lot. Events at Reliant DO draw riders, who seem to have little problem finding parking near the stations, especially considering that most Reliant events occur in the evening or on weekends, when parking near downtown stations is plentiful.

Given the cost of land near DT and Med Center stations, coupled with the fact that the rail draws 40,000 riders daily, I don't think it is cost efficient, but more importantly, I don't think METRO sees the need to spend that money to increase ridership. Once the rail is expanded past its current mostly inner city route, for instance, ALL of the planned extensions., I think station parking becomes much more desirable to attract riders.

You think METRO should accomodate the commuter by providing more parking at a few more LRT stations instead of just the fannin south one?

I apologize for answering in addition to Red but I think given the relatively short distance to the TMC and downtown from Fannin South (and Smithlands), there would be a limited draw of commuters parking along METRO Rail because at that point, the commuter is essentially where they need to be. If you're talking providing parking regardless of transit use to give the commuter the potential option of having to wrestle with TMC or downtown parking (and add a discount), then that's a possibility but then METRO would need to come up with the additonal funds to buy land in order to create said parking.

Anyway... in future alignments and corridors, I would agree that, yes, expanded parking for a line connecting NWTC to Uptown, for example, would be good. Expanding the Hillcroft Transit Center to incorporate more parking (a challenge, given the location) would also be a good idea. But if you need to offer parking for stations that are essentially right down the street from where the commuter's ultimate destination is, then I'm not sure public transit is being properly utilized. The commuter will have spent far too much time in their car at that point to gain any real benefit.

I think one of the biggest potential benefit of the current line is to Fort Bend County if they ever get around to the commuter rail line that was mentioned as part of METRO solutions. While the Chronicle did the imfamous time/benefit study between cars, buses and the LRT from Missouri City/Sugarland, they assumed that the LRT's current was designed as is to serve Fort Bend County when in fact, it was designed to eventually linke with commuter rail, would THEN be of time benefit to the commuter. But anyway...

• 2 months later...

http://www.dart.org/news.asp?ID=719

Media Relations Contact:

Morgan Lyons

Claudia Garibay

October 24, 2006

DART Board approves 2030 Transit System Plan

The blueprint for the next generation of bus, rail and high occupancy vehicle services in North Texas has been unanimously approved by the DART Board of Directors with the passage of the 2030 Transit System Plan. The plan covers projects to be undertaken by the transit agency through 2030 in the 13-city DART Service Area.

"The vote to approve the plan is the culmination of years of hard work by the DART Board, staff and our member cities. It marks the start of an exciting new era of transit options," said DART Board Chairman Mark Enoch.

DART's current long-range Transit System Plan, adopted in 1995, includes the ongoing doubling of the DART Rail System to serve Pleasant Grove, Fair Park, Northwest Dallas, Love Field, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Irving and DFW International Airport. Working from the 1995 plan, DART has built a multimodal transportation network providing more than 300,000 trips each weekday. Components of the network include:

* A fleet of more than 700 ultra-low emission buses, serving 120 routes in 13 cities

* 45 miles of light rail with 48 more miles scheduled to open by 2013

* 35 miles of Trinity Railway Express commuter rail connecting Dallas and Fort Worth

* 31 miles of high occupancy vehicle lanes in four corridors

* Paratransit curb-to-curb van service for customers with disabilities

2030 Plan is designed to meet fast-growing, fast-changing region

The North Texas region is on pace to double in population

Wow....8 million people by 2030! I'm sure Houston will be close to the same. I remember when only New York could claim a population that large...and yes I realize that is metropolitan area.

With populations that large there should be no argument about HOV vs. light rail or commuter rail vs. subway or whatever. All these transportation systems will be needed, and high speed bullet trains between the cities as well.

The DART 2030 Plan is great for the member cities, but the real challenge for the DFW area will be expanding transportation beyond the member cities where the population is exploding

Such as The T's (Fort Worth) new rail line to DFW airport via the Cotton Belt railway by 2011, and the DCTA's (Denton County) new rail line from Denton along IH35 (which will connect to DART in Carrollton in 2010).

Victory, park lane, downtown plano are a few of places that have developed around the train stops. Also several more are in development or building stages for the new lines.

Victory did not develop around a rail stop. A "special events" stop was created at AAC to serve the arena, not the other way around. Plano Station is located next to "Historic Downtown Plano". Once again, downtown was there first, though a fairly large apartment complex has since been built that may qualify as TOD. As for Park Lane Station, my understanding is that North Park Mall was there awhile before the DART station was added to serve it. There may be some other development that can be attributed to DART, but most of the development at Park Lane is likely because of the mall.

Mockingbird is very much a TOD, as there was virtually nothing there prior to DART.

Dallas and her existing and planned rail lines are impressive. I just don't understand how Dallas got funding though. How did you guys? Pass some help down here. 45 miles of light rail with 60,000 daily riders and Dallas is getting more funding. Houston 7.5 miles of light rail and 30,000+ riders and our leaders are still running around in circles about where and how rail should be placed.

Archived